PDA

View Full Version : Darren Sharper: Revisited

Kiwon
09-22-2007, 03:30 PM
It's said that a cat has nine lives and maybe that's true for Darren Sharper too.

Packer fans cheered his departure over his "Me" attitude as much as his part in the horrible play of the secondary in 2004. Fans claimed "He can't run anymore," "He's destined to be a backup, not a starter," etc.

Well, after he had two interceptions and forced a fumble against the Lions on Sunday, the press recap about the game concluded this way..."Sharper had more than one interception for the fifth time in his career, and has an NFL-high 46 since 2000."

Bottom line: The guy's still starting and making interceptions.

So is this a case where a player stepped up his level of play or were Packers fans too quick (eager) to predict his demise or is it a combination of both?

Rastak
09-22-2007, 03:58 PM
He had a great pick in the end zone to stop a drive. He's been pretty good since joining the Vikings. He did get hurt last Sunday though but played quite well.

He's definately been worth the money they paid him.

esoxx
09-22-2007, 04:16 PM
I never cheered when he left the Packers. He was a good player. Seeing Cleditus Hunt go is one thing, seeing a good player with game left go is another.

No cheering here.

BallHawk
09-22-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm grateful for what Sharper did when he was here and even though he did get burned in coverage more than one would like, he was a good football player.

What pissed me off was his comments after leaving Green Bay.

Bretsky
09-22-2007, 04:36 PM
It's said that a cat has nine lives and maybe that's true for Darren Sharper too.

Packer fans cheered his departure over his "Me" attitude as much as his part in the horrible play of the secondary in 2004. Fans claimed "He can't run anymore," "He's destined to be a backup, not a starter," etc.

Well, after he had two interceptions and forced a fumble against the Lions on Sunday, the press recap about the game concluded this way..."Sharper had more than one interception for the fifth time in his career, and has an NFL-high 46 since 2000."

Bottom line: The guy's still starting and making interceptions.

So is this a case where a player stepped up his level of play or were Packers fans too quick (eager) to predict his demise or is it a combination of both?

This is too easy

Packer Homerism often, way too often, leads us to undervalue some of the players we lose when they leave, regardless of how they leave....(Footnote #1 on Bottom

PACKER FANS WERE WAY TOO EAGER TO PREDICT HIS DEMISE

#1--SEE AHMAN GREEN

packers11
09-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Ahman Green is a different need, we wanted him to stay but not for that kind of money...

At the time, I think they should have kept Sharper for one more year, but you all have to remember what Sherman did to the Green Bay cap...

But with Nick Collins in his 3rd year and becomming better, I would take him over Sharper at this point in time...

I'm glad I don't have to watch the lack of pass coverage and big plays sharper used to give up... Hes not as fast as he once was, I still like him because was is a packer, BUT THIS IS REVISITING and ill take Nick Collins over Darren Sharper...

I'm not trying to bash Sharper but INT's don't tell the whole story...

ex : Al Harris...

Bretsky
09-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Ahman Green is a different need, we wanted him to stay but not for that kind of money...

At the time, I think they should have kept Sharper for one more year, but you all have to remember what Sherman did to the Green Bay cap...

But with Nick Collins in his 3rd year and becomming better, I would take him over Sharper at this point in time...

I'm glad I don't have to watch the lack of pass coverage and big plays sharper used to give up... Hes not as fast as he once was, I still like him because was is a packer, BUT THIS IS REVISITING and ill take Nick Collins over Darren Sharper...

ex : Al Harris...

Sharper's main downfall when he was here was he was hurt too much and sometimes when he was hurt he still played and was not as good as if he was fully healthy. Many might consider me to be a Sharper apologist, both when he was here and now.

IMO Sharper is a better football player than Nick Collins. Collins needs to elevate his game and catch some of those balls to get to that level.

My point with Ahman is everybody loved him while he was here and wanted him to stay; but when he left their tune changed and all of a sudden Vernie or a rookie is going to be just as good.

run pMc
09-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Sharper still had game when he left GB -- as evidenced by his performance for MIN. As I recall, he was a cap casualty.

Kiwon
09-22-2007, 05:26 PM

Understood. Yet INT's are important, aren't they?

46 times since the 2000 season, Sharper's helped to stop an opponent's drive and prevent them from scoring with a change of possession. On a few of these, he'd made it into the endzone and scored for his team.

Turnovers, more than any other factor, are often the key reason that one team wins and one team loses a game.

Kiwon
09-22-2007, 05:37 PM
My point with Ahman is everybody loved him while he was here and wanted him to stay; but when he left their tune changed and all of a sudden Vernie or a rookie is going to be just as good.

Well, anyone who remembers the spotty success the Packers had at running back from the mid-70's on certainly appreciated what Ahman Green brought to the team.

Things always change, of course, but he was a good fit and I was sorry we couldn't keep him for a while longer.

b bulldog
09-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Never liked him

swede
09-22-2007, 07:58 PM
He made a few plays, got burned a few times, and was mostly a likeable guy.

He talks like a superstar full-time. He plays like a superstar solely on a part-time basis.

No one can tell me he didn't disappear for long stretches as a defensive player.

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2007, 08:47 PM
I'm more interested in Bigby and Collins.

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 11:59 PM
Losing Darren Sharper was absolutely stupid. We had NOONE to replace him and are STILL looking for that guy. Hopefully Atari becomes that man. I don't see Collins becoming allpro, he is good, but not great.

Rastak
09-23-2007, 12:08 AM

You should search for a Bigby or Collins thread to post in then....

:wink: j/k

:twisted:

4and12to12and4
09-23-2007, 12:10 AM

You should search for a Bigby or Collins thread to post in then....

:wink: j/k

:twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
09-23-2007, 01:13 AM
I was one of the few that argued for Sharper, but it's water under the bridge. I like what I see from our two safeties.