PDA

View Full Version : AP Story Thompson admits to miscalculation

KYPack
05-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Thompson says delaying Favre news was `miscalculation'
Associated Press GREEN BAY, Wis. - Packers general manager Ted Thompson said on the eve of new coach Mike McCarthy's first minicamp that it was a "miscalculation" when he waited a day before publicly confirming Brett Favre would return for his 15th season in Green Bay.

"I probably made a miscalculation about it," Thompson told about 50 journalists at the Wisconsin Associated Press Sports Editors meeting Thursday night. "He called me, he asked me about it. He said, 'I've waited this long, I can wait a little bit more.'"

The news that fans had been waiting for months to hear was first broken by unnamed sources, and the team didn't confirm Favre's choice until the following day, April 26. Thompson defended his decision not to make an immediate announcement after Favre gave him his decision. He said Favre was always a part of the team.

"Brett had never retired," he said. "He was on our team the whole spring. I felt it better it come from him, however he wanted to do it."

Thompson, who started working under former GM Ron Wolf in 1992, said his first season as general manager was tough on the entire organization as the team suffered injuries and setbacks in a 4-12 campaign - the worst in Favre's tenure in Green Bay.

"As an organization, we had a rough year," he said. "I had a rough year, I didn't do as well as I should've done."

But Thompson said the only thing the organization can do now is pick itself up beginning Friday, and he would like to stay as general manager for the long haul.

"I would like to do this job well enough that people would want me to stay on," he said. "I can't imagine a better place to work."

John Jones, who will take over for Bob Harlan as Packers president on May 31, described Thompson as consistent and prepared, as shown during last weekend's NFL draft.

"He has been very steady. He is so thorough and prepared," he said. "Last Saturday is the most recent example - from what we had to five picks on the first day."

Jones, who was a journalist for 13 years before joining the NFL, said the newest collective bargaining agreement helps keep the Packers profitable, and that the team will pay into the revenue sharing pool as one of the league's top 15 moneymaking teams.

Thompson said he's learned from the media, and that he believes the organization is getting closer to the "free flow of information" that is supposed to exist between the two.

But, he said he knows he's not immune to critics.

"I understood there would be criticism. I understand there would be people questioning what we do," he said. "It's a very competitive environment."

Thompson also cautioned that reporters occasionally jump the gun, especially on Favre's return.

"I got seven calls from our local guys, the very first question was, 'Is he just coming back for the one year or is it going to be two, or three or four?'" he said. "Sometimes you try to put the answer before there's a (question)."

Thompson said that he is excited about his first draft class, and that the New Orleans Saints were extremely close to picking linebacker A.J. Hawk before Reggie Bush fell to them with the No. 2 pick and the Packers took Hawk at No. 5.

How did he know?

"It's after the fact and there's no reason for people to lie anymore," Thompson said. "I heard it leading up to the draft that there was a huge debate in their room whether it should be Mario Williams or A.J. Hawk."

Favre was at Lambeau Field Thursday night, and Thompson said he believed the veteran signal caller would talk to the media on Friday.

"He wasn't dressed for this," Thompson deadpanned. "He was dressed for Brett."

The guy admitted he made a slight error and is becoming aware of the PR portion of his job. I think we are making positive progress and going forward. This is good stuff.

Tarlam!
05-05-2006, 12:12 PM
The guy admitted he made a slight error and is becoming aware of the PR portion of his job. I think we are making positive progress and going forward. This is good stuff.

The guy has always admitted his errors. He has always said "I did bad" with regards to the 4-12, and then he says, "we all need to improve on every level".

I would like to invite TT for a cold beer, if he is the guy after the draft this year. I'm not sure I would enjoy the guy who spoke to the fans last year.

He is adapting. I am grateful Harlan brought him in, but as Fritz, (I think) posted on another thread, let's hope he can judge head coaching talanet as well as scout players!

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Thompson: Without trade, Walker would have sat out season
By Ricardo Arguello, PackersNews.com

Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson admitted Thursday that if the team had been unable to trade Javon Walker, the Packers were prepared to let the disgruntled receiver sit out the season.

Thompson was the guest speaker at the Wisconsin Associated Sports Editors annual banquet held at the Lambeau Field Atrium on the eve of the team’s first offseason minicamp.

“In the long run, we could have done that to make a statement,” Thompson said. “But I didn’t think it was worth cutting off my nose to spite my face, and I think we did get fair value. I think these young guys have a chance to come in here and play.

“According to my conversations with (Walker) and everyone else, he probably would have sat the year on injured reserve and been somewhere else next year.”

Thompson said the team got “fair value” for Walker, who was traded for Denver’s second-round pick (No. 37 overall). The team made two more trades that netted them five picks in all for Walker. Green Bay used those picks to select offensive lineman Daryn Colledge (No. 47 overall), Boston College cornerback Will Blackmon (No. 115), Furman quarterback Ingle Martin (No. 148), Texas A&M defensive tackle Johnny Jolly (No. 183) and Fresno State safety Tyrone Culver (No. 185).

“Our original pick in the second round (No. 36), we had six or seven teams call and offer us trades for that pick,” Thompson said. “At the same time, Denver called and said ‘weââ⠚¬â„¢ll give you the 37th for Javon Walker. So we knew right then that we’d be able to get a (second-round pick) and (third-round pick) for both of those picks. And we felt like, based on the way our boards was, that we’d have good players to pick at both of those spots. When we traded later on, it was the same kind of scenario.

“I do think that we needed some extra picks to do some of the things we needed to do.”

The Walker trade came a year after the team traded disgruntled cornerback Mike McKenzie to the New Orleans Saints, but Thompson believes that won’t become a trend.

“I feel like (the Walker deal) was a strong enough trade that it should not be a precursor to something in the future,” Thompson said. “But every player and every case is its own deal. So we’ll see.”

The Packers wound up with 12 picks in this year’s draft, and Thompson said they will make their debut at the minicamp that starts today.

Quarterback Brett Favre also will be present, according to Thompson.

“Heââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s here. He’s in the building,” Thompson said. “Heââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s here and he looks good.”

Other issues Thompson touched on included:

• On the Packers rebounding from last year’s 4-12 record:

“I think as an organization, we had a rough year in 2005. I had a rough year. I didn’t do my job well enough. I think the coaching staff will admit that they probably didn’t do as well as they should have done, and the players probably didn’t play as well as they could have played. And we had some injuries ... but it was what it was. There’s not much you can do about it but pick yourself up off the ground and try to get better.

• On where the Packers stand in the NFC North:

“I think we have a chance to be better. Obviously, we spend a lot of time watching our divisional opponents. Just based on what happened last year, you have to give Chicago the nod. Lovie Smith and his guys did a heckuva job. But we’re going to try and win. I think we’re a little better than what people think.”

• On first-round pick A.J. Hawk:

“I think he’s an outstanding linebacker, and it’s a position that we can use some help with. He has the character and the pedigree and the passion and performance to warrant that spot. Linebackers aren’t normally taken that high, but he’s better than most linebackers I’ve seen since I’ve been in the business.”

• On possibly trading up for running back Reggie Bush:

“There were conversations, but they were never serious ‘Letââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s do this thing’ kind of situations. We explored that option.”

Fritz
05-05-2006, 02:05 PM
I can't believe Tank hasn't grabbed onto this thread like a fish lunging at a baited hook.

Homer Jay
05-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Maybe it's because Tank has never admitted to being wrong about anything. Kinda like Sherman.

Harlan Huckleby
05-05-2006, 05:35 PM
This is admitting a mistake? What the hell? This "mistake" is like stepping on a crack in a sidewalk, imperiling your mother's back.

As long as we're having a confessional, I'm man enough to admit that I passed gas while sleeping last night. I'm not proud of it, but by God I'm honorable enough to be held accountable for my contribution to greenhouse gasses.

KYPack
05-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Admittedly, this isn't on par with Jimmy Swaggert admitting he was out on the stroll. At least Thompson is beginning to develop some kind of rapport. His public utterances can be so stiff, it's good to see him try and be one of the boys or whatever.

HH, that was you last nite?

I thought so.

swede
05-05-2006, 11:46 PM
"Mea culpa. Mea culpa. Maxi mea culpa,"
quoth Teddy to the long-suffering masses.
(And a brief explanation for the solar rotation
gapping Favre's 'nouncement he'd be back throwing passes.)

Unimpressed with mere banter
the Blue Dawg decantered
a nocturnal sulfurous blast!

"Two can play at this pasttime
and when it comes to gas time
heed the message that comes from my butt.
Your verbage is heinous, so I leak from my anus,
an editorial statement of SO WHAT!"

Tarlam!
05-06-2006, 03:23 AM
Swede, whata guy! Nice job.

We have a lot of talent on this forum!

swede
05-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Swede, whata guy! Nice job.

We have a lot of talent on this forum!

Thank you, Tarlam.

Some days are better, some days are verse.