PDA

View Full Version : 6 Games to Judge the Packers by. A 2-0 breakdown.

PackerBlues
09-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Some are preaching Doom and Gloom for the Packers, some are predicting playoffs, and most people are stuck inbetween. The Packers have played 2 games, both wins.

In Week #1, the Packers played the Eagles. The Packers were considered to be the underdog, and pretty much every talking head that I heard from, predicted this game to go to the Eagles, but the Packers win 16-13. It was an ugly win for the Packers, with no Offensive scoring. Favre was sacked 4 times, and had one pass tipped for an interception. McNobb was sacked once and intercepted once by the Packers Defense. While the Packers were led in receiving by Driver with 66 yards, and in Rushing by Jackson with 40 yards, the Eagles entire Offense seemed to be mainly Westbrook, who led their team in Receiving, 46 yards, and in Rushing, 85 yards.

Also in week #1, we have the Giants vs. Dallas. Dallas wins the game, 45-35. Manning and Romo both throw for 4 TD's each, and neither team had a RB go for 100 yds.

Last game to look at in week #1, is the Dolphins vs. Redskins. Redskins win this game 16-13. The Dolphins leading rusher had 32 yards. J.Campbell had no TD's, and 222 yards passing with two interceptions. 162 of his passing yards were to Randle El.

In week #2, Packers vs. Giants. Packers win, 35-13. Considering as how Dallas managed to score 45 points on the Giants in week #1, Favre's 3 TD passes should not come as a big suprise to anyone......... unless they happen to be Packer fans in the know, expecting Favre to again struggle without Jennings to contribute to the passing game. Favre threw to 8 different guys. Jones had 75 yards receiving, and Driver had 73 yards receiving. The Giants Defense managed to sack Favre once, and intercepted him once. The Packers Defense sacked Manning twice, and intercepted him once. Cory Williams was the star of the Defense with one sack, and the one interception.

Also in week #2, was Eagles vs. Redskins. Redskins win, 20-12. Again, Westbrook was the star on offense for the Eagles, with 96 yards rushing, and 66 yards receiving. The Eagles did not score a single TD on Offense, and the Eagles Defense, after posting 4 sacks against Favre in week #1, only managed one sack against J.Campbell, and one interception.

Last game to look at in week #2, Dallas vs. Dolphins. Dallas wins 37-20. While in week one, the Dolphins leading rusher had 32 yards, in this game, the Dolphins leading rusher managed a whopping 33 yards rushing :oops: . Trent Green threw for 2 TD's........and 4 interceptions.

End results after two weeks, and all that we have to judge the Packers on:

Greenbay 2-0 Looks like GB has one of the stingiest Defenses in the NFL, after giving up only 13 points in each of their first two games. While GB's Offense has struggled so far against a good Defense, Favre has proven that he still has what it takes to move the ball. The only knock against the Packers........both of the team they have beaten are 0-2, so it's a little to early to praise or bash this Packers team.

After losing to the Packers 16-13, the Eagles went on to lose to the Redskins 20-12. Putting the Eagles at 0-2, and the Redskins at 2-0. It seems that Westbrook is the only threat that the Eagles have on Offense, while their Defense is not giving up many points. I would say that McNobb is the Eagles biggest shortcoming right now, as he is better at making excuses at the moment than he is at moving the ball downfield.

After losing to Dallas in week #1, 45-35, the Giants lose to the Packers in week #2, 35-13. Putting them at 0-2 to start the season. The Packers still were not able to manage many rushing yards, Wynn was the leading rusher, with 50 yards. I think it's safe to say that the Giants Defense is easy to score against, having given up 80 points so far.

Packers 2-0
Eagles 0-2
Giants 0-2
Dallas 2-0
Redskins 2-0
Dolphins 0-2

The Cowboys scored 10 more points against the Giants than the Packers did, but the Packers Defense gave up 22 less points to the Giants than the Cowboys did.

After only scoring 13 points against the Packers, the Eagles only managed to score 12 points against the Redskins.

The Redskins scored 16 points against the Dolphins, and the Cowboys scored 37 points against the Dolphins.

PackerBlues
09-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Looking at SanDiego, they are 1-1, after beating the Bears 14-3, and losing to New England 38-14.

So far, against these two good Defenses, L.T. is not looking like the football god that Packer fans have been fearing. Against Chicago, L.T. had his TD pass, 25 yards rushing, and 50 yards receiving. Against NE, L.T. had only 43 yards rushing, and 15 yards receiving.

SanDiego's biggest receiving threat is Antonio Gates, their TE. Gates had 107 yards receiving against Chicago with one TD, and against NE, Gates had 77 receiving yards and one TD.

After Gates and L.T. , SanDiego's next leading player on Offense would be V.Jackson. He had 28 yards receiving against Chicago, and 53 yards against NE.

Rivers, the SanDiego QB had 190 yards of passing against Chicago, with no TD's, 1 interception, and he was sacked 3 times. Against NE, Rivers had 179 yards passing, 2 TD's, 2 interceptions, and was again sacked 3 times.

Looking at these stats, SanDiego is not the power house that the media has made them out to be, just as GB is not the push over that the media made them out to be. If the GB Defense can contain L.T. and Gates, the rest will be up to Favre and our Offense. The Packers have a hell of a lot better chance of winning this game than the media gives them credit for. As I see it, the biggest problem for the Packers, will be containing L.T. on the outside runs, while also trying to contain Gates over the middle, no small task, and this should be a good game to judge GB's Defense in comparison to Shitcogo and NE.

Comparing NE, Da Bears and GB:

NE has scored 76 points, and given up 28.
Chicago has scored 23 points, and given up 24.
GB has scored 51 points, and given up 26.

The NE Defense has 8 sacks, 2 interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles.
Chicago's D has 7 sacks, 2 interceptions, and 2 forced fumbles.
GB's D has 3 sacks, 2 interceptions, and 1 forced fumbles.

(need to find stats for GB's Special Teams, as I am sure that they improve upon these stats.)

Overall, NE may just go unbeaten this year, Chicago still needs a QB/Offense, and GB is missing at least one star player on each side of the ball. IF GB had one more stud receiver, and one guy on the defensive side of the ball to step up and pressure the opposing QB, they would easily be an elite team. As it stands, GB seems to be slightly better than average all the way around, thanks to a good ST's unit, a decent Defense, and Favre managing our Offense.

:cow:

Him8123
09-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Great post PB

CaliforniaCheez
09-22-2007, 10:04 PM
What team(s) in the NFC is better than the Packers again is the basic question.

The Packers are not that much different from last year (add Jones subtract Green). We know pretty much how they compare with the NFC West. We have a hint about the NFC East.

The Packers can only play each week's opponents. Right now the strongest opponents could arguably be the Bears, Cowboys and Chargers. If the Packers win this week they will only be in better shape.

Now at 2-0 if they go .500 the rest of the year they will be 9-7. I think they can go better than .500. The 2 victories being conference victories help a lot. 4 of the last six games are on the road.

It may be that the Panther and Cowboy games will determine the outcome of the season.

Jennings will at least attempt to play. That's adding another receiver.
Morency getting healthy and Grant learning the system will "add" players.

As to comparing teams, I saw that the Redskins had learned what the Packers D had done against the Eagles and played tight bump and run.

This weekend the Lions and Eagles game will provide some idea of where the Lions are even though the Eagles have injury problems. The Bears and Cowboys game will also provide some reference this weekend.

The Charger game may well be the toughest on the schedule. But the Packers have them at home on a slightly shorter week. The Charger coaching staff is new to the talent they have. It is a good time for the game.

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 10:54 PM
The fact that LT has had two subpar games is what scares me the most. I can't see him having three in a row. I think our defense will stifle him on simple inside runs, but get burned on screens and draws, and he will average 2.5 yards per carry which will balloon to 6.7 because of two blown plays where he gains 40 or more. Gates is gonna have a field day if we don't get INSIDE d line pressure on Rivers QUICKLY!! They have very tall outside receivers which scares me because our great corners are 5 inches shorter than him. We cannot afford to give Rivers ANY time to get into a rythym. We need to really disquise our blitzes, and bring 7 guys consistently and hope our corners can handle the WR's. Hawk and Barnett must play a great game in coverage on Gates. That's a lot to ask. They have the big contracts, it's time to earn it tomorrow. Go Pack.

I said this in another thread, but i GUARANTEE a Bears loss to the Cowboys. There is no way they can stay with this club. Dallas is way too balanced. Wrex is gonna have a 35 QB rating and two picks. Dallas' offensive line is going to run it down the throat of the Bears in the second half. This is a quarantee. I just hope the damn Lions lose.

PackerBlues
09-23-2007, 10:59 AM
If the Packers Defense can stop L.T. and Gates from having a big game, Favre will take care of the rest.

After today, Packers 3-0!!!!! :cow: