PDA

View Full Version : Travis Taylor

Brando19
09-22-2007, 09:11 PM
From PFT:
Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the Oakland Raiders have released wide receiver Travis Taylor.

Taylor was brought in this year, in part, to make up for the departure of Randy Moss. In fact, replacing Moss has become a regular feature of Taylor's career; that is also why the Minnesota Vikings acquired Taylor in 2005.

Taylor was thought to be a favorite of Raiders owner Al Davis, but he didn't seem to have much of a role to play in coach Lane Kiffin's offense. He was inactive for the Week 1 loss to the Lions and played but didn't catch a pass in the Week 2 loss to the Broncos.

As a vested veteran, Taylor's 2007 salary became guaranteed when he was on the opening day roster, so the Raiders are still on the hook financially.

The Baltimore Ravens took Taylor with the 10th overall pick of the 2000 draft. Although he's never lived up to those lofty expectations, he's just 29 years old and is likely to find a job somewhere else, most likely with a team that suffers a string of injuries at wide receiver.

Hmmm....if Jennings' injury keeps reoccurring...why not give this guy a shot?

MJZiggy
09-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Does that mean he's the "replacement" for not getting Moss? Seems to fit his MO.

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Never heard of him. Is he a rookie? Where did he play? What round was he picked in? How fast is he? Is he a good route runner? You know what, who friggin' cares, if we get Ruvell, Holiday, and Jennings out there with DD and Jones, we will be a force to be reckoned with. We can spread out the defense and make teams play 7 or less in the box, and then run all over them. We just need 'em healthy. Not to mention if Koren comes back.

Bretsky
09-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Never heard of him. Is he a rookie? Where did he play? What round was he picked in? How fast is he? Is he a good route runner? You know what, who friggin' cares, if we get Ruvell, Holiday, and Jennings out there with DD and Jones, we will be a force to be reckoned with. We can spread out the defense and make teams play 7 or less in the box, and then run all over them. We just need 'em healthy. Not to mention if Koren comes back.

Travis Taylor was a first round pick from the Baltimore Ravens in 2000; he's shown flashes but his talent has never consistently developed. He went to the Vikings for a year or two, and then to Oakland. He probably has ability; but not sure how much he helps.

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Well, Moss didn't do shit in Oakland, and he's suddenly the best receiver in the league right now. With our cap space, might be worth looking at. Do you know how fast he is? Is he a deep threat? We need someone to open up the field downfield bigtime and get all these damn safeties out of the box.

Bretsky
09-22-2007, 11:28 PM
I think he's a 4.45-4.5 guy. I'm not sure he's much faster than Jennings. I certainly think he's better than Chris Francis and worth taking a look at. But I think there are probably a lot of guys out there better than Chris Francis.

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 11:31 PM
I think he's a 4.45-4.5 guy. I'm not sure he's much faster than Jennings. I certainly think he's better than Chris Francis and worth taking a look at. But I think there are probably a lot of guys out there better than Chris Francis.

Is he a rookie, where did he go to school? is there any video out there of him? Do we even have another spot on the roster for him, would we have to take off an olineman to fit him in?

Bretsky
09-22-2007, 11:36 PM

Is he a rookie, where did he go to school? is there any video out there of him? Do we even have another spot on the roster for him, would we have to take off an olineman to fit him in?

He was drafted in 2000 so he's been in the league for six years already; he went to U Florida. Pretty sure we'd have to release somebody or put Chris Palmer (neck injury) on the injured reserve.

He's a decent player and if Jennings or Jones were out for some time he'd be good to look at. But I'm not sure he's better than either of them so I'd doubt TT gets him in here

HarveyWallbangers
09-22-2007, 11:45 PM

I don't think he plays that fast--if that's what he times. He's a decent possession receiver. Kind of a Robert Ferguson without the injury concerns.

4and12to12and4
09-22-2007, 11:46 PM
Screw him, I like Ruvell and Holiday a lot. And obviously Jennings. If all healthy, we could have one of the best receiving core in the league. They need to get theire collective asses on the damn field. I'm scared for them against those backers in San Diego tomorrow. Brett better keep the ball low.

Rastak
09-23-2007, 12:16 AM

I don't think he plays that fast--if that's what he times. He's a decent possession receiver. Kind of a Robert Ferguson without the injury concerns.

Yea, what Harvey said. He's a decent possesion wr. Certainly he'd make a fine 4th reciever and maybe even a #3. In Green Bay 4th is the best he'd be.

4and12to12and4
09-23-2007, 12:19 AM
We don't have room on the roster for him. Unless are receivers keep getting injured, we don't need him.

LEWCWA
09-23-2007, 01:57 AM
I think Travis Taylor sucks! Hows that for a 300th post! :?:

the_idle_threat
09-23-2007, 02:59 AM
It sucks! :P

It probably wouldn't hurt to have a look at this guy if they think it's worthwhile, but surely they've been scouting him already and they have an idea whether he has anything left to offer. Oakland must have set him on the curb for a reason.

KYPack
09-23-2007, 10:18 AM
At this stage in his career, he's an extra guy. these type of players must play and be a factor on ST. I'm not sure Taylor can help us in any phase of the game other than being a possessio guy.

I'd rather see us cut Francies and sign Boddiford if he's healthy.

If Boddiford is still hurt let's go with what we've got. I'm also holding out for KRob. tThat guy is a difference maker if he's off the sauce.

Guiness
09-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, Rastak knows the Pack as well as (and better than some) actual non-closet Pack fans...and he's seen TT as well. If he's correct, and this guy would only be a #4, I think we're better off sticking with developmental guys, in hopes they'll some day be a #3...or better. Unless we get down to only having 3 healthy WRs, of course. And we're not far from that now!

Only a couple of reasons to look at this guy. You could argue that Minny and Oakland were both bad situations that didn't allow him to show his stuff. Certainly that was the case in Oakland, 05 and 06 weren't good times to be a WR in Oakland, and I don't even know who was throwing the ball in Baltimore while he was there? Elvis maybe?

The other reason to bring him in? His initials are TT! That's got to count for something, doesn't it?