PDA

View Full Version : Extensions

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2006, 01:32 PM
After the Woodson signing, we have $12.7M in cap space. The rookie allotment is $6.7M. If we keep a safety cushion of about $3M heading into the season, that would leave us $3M to either sign a June 1st FA or extend some contracts. Who should get them? I'm thinking Donald Driver is the obvious choice. Any others? We don't really have that many important FAs going into next season--besides the guys who signed one year contracts this offseason. Donald Lee, Colin Cole, Scott Wells, Cullen Jenkins would be about the only ones.

HarveyWallbangers
05-05-2006, 01:47 PM
According to this site (http://members.cox.net/cappage/2006cap.htm), the guys we'd gain at least $500,000 in cap space if we cut them, would be (in order):

Ahman Green - $1,505,720 (before June); $1,350,000 (after June)
Mark Tauscher - $1,421,428 (before June); $921,428 (after June)
Adrian Klemm - $1,200,000 (before June); $1,000,000 (after June)
Donald Driver - $743,334 (before June); $493,334 (after June)
Robert Ferguson - $700,000 (before June); $0 (after June)
Kenny Peterson - $721,600 (before June); $721,600 (after June)
Mark Roman - $625,000 (before June); $625,000 (after June)
David Martin - $585,000 (before June); $585,000 (after June)

Considering it would take a guy making at least minimum wage to replace these guys, not many of them would save a lot on the cap if they were cut. What does this tell us? Well, it doesn't hurt to keep Peterson, Roman, and Martin around to see if they can win a roster spot. Obviously, Tauscher and Driver won't be cut. Green will be kept around if he's healthy. The only real candidates to get cut before June would be Robert Ferguson and Adrian Klemm. If Thompson doesn't figure they'll make the team, he may choose to save more money by cutting them early.

We'd actually take a considerable hit cutting some of these guys that a lot of folks would like to see cut (the longer you can push it out, the less the signing bonus hurts the cap):

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila - $864,287 (before June); $864,287 (after June)
Ahmad Carroll - $1,084,000 (before June); $1,114,000 (after June)

It probably makes sense to keep these guys around at least another year.

Deputy Nutz
05-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Do we offer contracts, or do we pay off some of the pro rated signing bonuses? If he have to pay KGB this year, why not front him the money in 2006, so we can cut him in 2007 and not pay him anyting when he is let loose.

Umm, can they do this?

Fritz
05-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Nutz, those are good questions. I've been thinking along the same lines. With all this cap space, I think Thompson has been wise to sign guys to contracts that are front-loaded and not signing-bonus heavy, so that down the road the Packers won't be tied to contracts from guys that are collecting social security. So I too wonder if it's possible, then, to re-draw some existing contracts so that signing bonuses get paid sooner, or some back-loaded years get pushed to the front. And what player would turn that kind of deal down? So even if you don't want to extend someone like, say, Driver, perhaps it's possible to re-draw the contract so Donald gets more of his money up front.

Where's Patler when you need him? Maybe that Shamrock dude, who is the new Patler, can help.

Scott Campbell
05-05-2006, 01:57 PM
I think Sherman would have watched Donnel Washington in the weight room and locked him up for 7 years before anyone else could pry him away.

Fritz
05-05-2006, 02:00 PM
That's pretty funny. I was going to respond in kind (Ahmad Carroll's the one who would have gotten the extension), but in truth I suspect that we might've seen Javon Walker getting that guaranteed 12 - 15 million for three years from Green Bay if Sherman were still in charge.

jack's smirking revenge
05-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I think I'm going to get rasta extensions.

On a serious note, I think Driver should get a contract so he retires as a Packer. Other than that, wait until the season.

tyler

GrnBay007
05-05-2006, 11:57 PM
I think they really need to show Driver some green $$$ lovin.

Tarlam!
05-06-2006, 04:09 AM

I BIN SAYIN' IT ALL OFF-SEASON LONG.

Actually, since we realized we'd have money left over from last season's cap, I bin sayin' it!!!

Anti-Polar Bear
05-06-2006, 04:15 AM

Actually, since we realized we'd have money left over from last season's cap, I bin sayin' it!!!

Don't just say it here. Call thompson and say it to his face!(literally of figuratively; I dont really know the right word in this instance; maybe Campbell can help).

Bretsky
05-06-2006, 04:27 AM

Don't just say it here. Call thompson and say it to his face!(literally of figuratively; I dont really know the right word in this instance; maybe Campbell can help).

What the hell ya doing up at 4:15 Tank ? Are you a vampire or something ?

Anti-Polar Bear
05-06-2006, 04:43 AM

I've developed an irregular sleeping habit. I unusually wake up at 4 PM, go to sleep at 8 AM. Obviously, this is not a good habit as I am missing some classes and it has hurt my grades (many of you old schoolers are lucky to be around a time when professors dont care about attendance; today you only get 3 absents and then your grades start falling).

Anyway, this is the weekend so i'm just watching tv, checking in here during commercial break, smoking and chilling, much to the displeasure of my roommate.

KYPack
05-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Can you imagine being Tank's roomate?

Yee Godz, what a horror that would be!

No Mo Moss
05-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Depending on how this season goes, of course, but both Jenkins and Cole are guys you may want to sign with that extra cash. I've been very excited about the quick development of Cole in particular. My fear is however that if we have a defensive year in the top five of the league (which I think we will) those guys will be far too expensive for TT to bring back. I think he should get contract extensions out to the young DTs during the season and avoid any bidding war.

GoPackGo
05-06-2006, 12:23 PM

I've developed an irregular sleeping habit. I unusually wake up at 4 PM, go to sleep at 8 AM. Obviously, this is not a good habit as I am missing some classes and it has hurt my grades (many of you old schoolers are lucky to be around a time when professors dont care about attendance; today you only get 3 absents and then your grades start falling).

Anyway, this is the weekend so i'm just watching tv, checking in here during commercial break, smoking and chilling, much to the displeasure of my roommate.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/1922/1922.jpg

RashanGary
05-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Good call NO MO...

I thought they should have done the same with Kamp last year.

This year he really should do that with Jenkins and Cole. Both deserve contracts a little less than Manuel's. Give it to them now before the price goes up.

No Mo Moss
05-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Yeah, then in 3 years when they're both pro-bowlers, they can hold out and demand to be traded because they are worth more than their contracts.

Deputy Nutz
05-06-2006, 04:51 PM
We can low ball them now and when they become pro bowlers they can hold out and demand more money by threatening retirement!

Tarlam!
05-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Use the money for character guys, like DD. If Cole and Jenks are character guy, too, by all means. TT is doing the right thing by selecting characte guys and rewarding them (Kampy).