PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Sucks!!!

PackerBlues
09-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Of coarse I am referring to Orrin Thompson, the guy brought up from the practice squad. :D :D :D

3-0, Let me know when I will be allowed to take my foot out of my mouth. Thompson has built a winning team to be excited about. Packers sitting alone now at the top of the NFC North!!!

:cow: :pack: :cow:

Tony Oday
09-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Bah take it out and just believe :)

swede
09-23-2007, 04:02 PM
I thought you might be up to something like that Blues! :D

By the way...here's a new idea for your avatar...

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/2005_08_09_mightymouse.jpg

Photoshop a football G on that chest and you're in business!

Deputy Nutz
09-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Come on, I think it is natural to question the GM of any sports team that you are a fan of. Sure, we look at Randy Moss right now and wish we had him in Green and Gold, but there are so many things to consider with what Randy is doing now and what he could be doing in Green Bay, the Packers are not the Pats.

I think we all wanted a sure thing at running back, and many mentioned Ahman Green and resigning him, but he just went down with another knee injury. I don' know how serious, but a cheetah cant change its stripes.

The bottom line is whether or not we agree with things like play calling, or front office moves, we certainly aren't smart enough to call a football game or make personel decisions for a major professional sports franchise.

But I understand the frustration.

PackerBlues
09-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Hey, I like it swede. I don't think I have the blues anymore after that win. May be time for a different avatar. :D

PackerBlues
09-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Come on, I think it is natural to question the GM of any sports team that you are a fan of. Sure, we look at Randy Moss right now and wish we had him in Green and Gold, but there are so many things to consider with what Randy is doing now and what he could be doing in Green Bay, the Packers are not the Pats.

I think we all wanted a sure thing at running back, and many mentioned Ahman Green and resigning him, but he just went down with another knee injury. I don' know how serious, but a cheetah cant change its stripes.

The bottom line is whether or not we agree with things like play calling, or front office moves, we certainly aren't smart enough to call a football game or make personel decisions for a major professional sports franchise.

But I understand the frustration.

Well said!

Lurker64
09-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Also, I think that Orrin Thompson has some potential. He's got good size and adequate athleticism, but he needs polish. LTs are valuable enough that I could see a team in need of one poaching a guy like Thompson.

FritzDontBlitz
09-23-2007, 05:37 PM
sign me up for the "ted thompson is a friggin genius!" bandwagon.

every move he made in the offseason seems to be paying off.

i was one of those who bitched and moaned cuz we lost ahman and didnt pursue randy moss.

boy, am i glad i was wrong.

Packers4Ever
09-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Of coarse I am referring to Orrin Thompson, the guy brought up from the practice squad. :D :D :D

3-0, Let me know when I will be allowed to take my foot out of my mouth. Thompson has built a winning team to be excited about. Packers sitting alone now at the top of the NFC North!!!

:cow: :pack: :cow:

Ohhh I would say give it a month or so :wait: Fair deal ?? :lol: :wink:

MJZiggy
09-23-2007, 06:01 PM
I thought you might like a little dinner...you can share if you'd like, there's lots to be served.

http://www.buni.org/mediawiki/images/d/d3/Crow.jpg

digitaldean
09-23-2007, 06:02 PM
I thought you might be up to something like that Blues! :D

By the way...here's a new idea for your avatar...

Photoshop a football G on that chest and you're in business!

http://www.torchtheweb.com/packermouse.jpg

digitaldean strikes again!

MJZiggy
09-23-2007, 06:07 PM
That's a beautiful thing...

SkinBasket
09-23-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm all for not holding PB and other's crazy anti-TT rants against them, but isn't it a bit early to flip-flop on this issue? What if we lose our next 4 games because we can only manage 40 yards rushing a game? Are you willing to simply flop back over?

The Pack is averaging 57 yards per game on the ground. Doesn't that still worry you TT detractors who've gone silent? I would argue that now is not the time for reconciliation, but rather for a time of great hand wringing and finger pointing. I myself point the finger at our manic depressant coach, but I could see where some could argue the GM is at fault... now that we have some real game statistics to work with.

PackerBlues
09-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I am not exactly going back on everything I have said. Hell, our run game does in fact appear to suck....... yet the Pack is still 3-0. :huh:

Moss does not appear to be a washed up, over priced, malcontent, so I guess I was not wrong about wanting him on our team......not that we seem to need him. :huh:

I am simply saying that Thompson has done a great job rebuilding this Packers team. Thats my flip flop, cause I thought for sure that we would have to wait another year or two to see any promising results. I was wrong. :oops:

hoosier
09-23-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm all for not holding PB and other's crazy anti-TT rants against them, but isn't it a bit early to flip-flop on this issue? What if we lose our next 4 games because we can only manage 40 yards rushing a game? Are you willing to simply flop back over?

The Pack is averaging 57 yards per game on the ground. Doesn't that still worry you TT detractors who've gone silent? I would argue that now is not the time for reconciliation, but rather for a time of great hand wringing and finger pointing. I myself point the finger at our manic depressant coach, but I could see where some could argue the GM is at fault... now that we have some real game statistics to work with.

Totally agree. I didn't think GB was ready to beat a team like SD this early in the season, I thought it would take them another year to reach that point. So that's a pleasant surprise. But I still don't see them being a consistent winner this year, especially into December and January, if they have absolutely no running game. Imagine how people would be responding to that disastrous adventure at !st and goal from the SD 1 if they had wound up losing the game--people would be calling for McCarthy's head. So surprising good? Yes. Ready to go deep into the playoffs? Not quite.

Deputy Nutz
09-23-2007, 07:31 PM
You two can kiss and make up over pm if you want.

Tony Oday
09-23-2007, 07:57 PM
bahahaha you dont see this team winning consitant games? Shyt we won three in a row over playoff teams from last year. We are ahead in the division and our pass offense looks GREAT. This team reminds me of the early 90's when we used the pass to set up the run.

bbbffl66
09-23-2007, 08:44 PM
God, I hate admitting I'm wrong. Maybe TT isn't as bad as I thought. :evil:

esoxx
09-23-2007, 08:47 PM
I am not an Orrin Thompson fan. Never have been.

hoosier
09-23-2007, 08:52 PM
I thought you might like a little dinner...you can share if you'd like, there's lots to be served.

http://www.buni.org/mediawiki/images/d/d3/Crow.jpg

Mmmm good....What's the green stuff?

Lurker64
09-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I am not an Orrin Thompson fan. Never have been.

Other than his immediate family, does Orrin Thompson have fans?

Packgator
09-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Packers sitting alone now at the top of the NFC North!!!

Sitting on top of the entire NFC. Alone....if the Cowboys lose.

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2007, 11:11 PM
This team reminds me of the early 90's when we used the pass to set up the run.

I've read this theory several times, just curious: who were the running backs that made this work? Holmgren came in 93, If i recall.

well, they go the pass down, but the "set up the run" ain't happenin yet.

HarveyWallbangers
09-23-2007, 11:34 PM
Holmgren came in 92. I think we had the likes of Reggie Cobb and Raymont Harris. Edgar came in 92, but played FB for 2-3 years. Levens started out as a FB also.

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I think Dorsey Levens was the first to bring them any real running success, and not until the superbowl year.

pbmax
09-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Name | G | RSH YARD AVG TD | REC YARD AVG TD |
+----------------------+----+-----------------------+----------------------+
| Edgar Bennett | 16 | 61 214 3.5 0 | 13 93 7.2 0 |
| Buford McGee | 4 | 8 19 2.4 0 | 6 60 10.0 0 |
| Harry Sydney | 16 | 51 163 3.2 2 | 49 384 7.8 1 |
| Darrell Thompson | 7 | 76 254 3.3 2 | 13 129 9.9 1 |
| Vince Workman | 10 | 159 631 4.0 2 | 47 290 6.2 0

| Edgar Bennett | 16 | 159 550 3.5 9 | 59 457 7.7 1 |
| John Stephens | 5 | 48 173 3.6 1 | 5 31 6.2 0 |
| Darrell Thompson | 16 | 169 654 3.9 3 | 18 129 7.2 0

ame | G | RSH YARD AVG TD | REC YARD AVG TD |
| Edgar Bennett | 16 | 178 623 3.5 5 | 78 546 7.0 4 |
| Reggie Cobb | 16 | 153 579 3.8 3 | 35 299 8.5 1 |
| LeShon Johnson | 12 | 26 99 3.8 0 | 13 168 12.9 0 |
| Dorsey Levens | 14 | 5 15 3.0 0 | 1 9 9.0 0 |
| Darrell Thompson | 8 | 2 -2 -1.0 0 | 0 0 0.0 0

| Edgar Bennett | 16 | 316 1067 3.4 3 | 61 648 10.6 4 |
| William Henderson | 15 | 7 35 5.0 0 | 3 21 7.0 0 |
| Travis Jervey | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 0 0 0.0 0 |
| LeShon Johnson | 2 | 2 -2 -1.0 0 | 0 0 0.0 0 |
| Dorsey Levens | 15 | 36 120 3.3 3 | 48 434 9.0 4

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2007, 11:50 PM
thanks for stats.

ya, pretty sucky, really.

Levens & Bennett finally clocked-in with good yards-per-carry in 96, I was looking at their stats a sec ago.

pbmax
09-23-2007, 11:52 PM
So that would give you:

1992: Worman
1993: Thompson/Bennett
1994: Bennett/Cobb
1995: Bennett/Levens(barely)

hoosier
09-24-2007, 07:56 AM
bahahaha you dont see this team winning consitant games? Shyt we won three in a row over playoff teams from last year. We are ahead in the division and our pass offense looks GREAT. This team reminds me of the early 90's when we used the pass to set up the run.

One of those teams is a shell of its former self, the other two aren't yet hitting on all cylinders, and still the games against Philly and SD were close and could've gone either way. I'm impressed with how GB has played so far, and especially with how they've finished games. But I don't think we've seen them against a team that's playing really well. And I'll be even more surprised if they can carry over what they've done in the first three to the last thirteen. I like what they've shown so far, and I like TT's approach, but I don't think they're quite there yet.

Cheesehead Craig
09-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Had SD won, it would have been said that SD is back. We beat them and Rivers had a near perfect day. I don't buy the bullshit about how SD is not "hitting on all cylinders".

Patler
09-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Part of playing well yourself is making sure the other team does not play well.

SkinBasket
09-24-2007, 08:21 AM
Had SD won, it would have been said that SD is back. We beat them and Rivers had a near perfect day. I don't buy the bullshit about how SD is not "hitting on all cylinders".

I agree with you here. Teams are learning how to gameplan LT more, and yesterday demonstrated how important he is to that team. Even a spectacular performance by Rivers couldn't fill the void. I give more credit to the Pack D for following their gameplan and executing than I blame SD or LT for not performing. Of course, containing LT at the expense of leaving Gates open to wreck havoc wherever he saw fit was a bit difficult to watch at times, but I guess it worked.

As an aside, anyone but me forget that Merriman was even suited up today until he congratulated Favre after the game?

Patler
09-24-2007, 08:29 AM
The running game was not strong for quite a few seasons under Holmgren, and he was accused of being too pass happy, not understanding the running game, etc. Once the players were in place to have a decent running game, he did.

One really big difference we might have with our backs this year compared to during Holmgren's years when the running game sucked is in the passing game. Look at the number of receptions the backs had in those early Holmgren years. In a lot of ways that substituted for the running game. He had a lot of very good receiving backs.

So far the 2007 backs have looked quite inconsistent in the passing game. A lot of drops, and a lot of times when it appears they are not where Favre expects them to be, even on little safety tosses. He seems to look their way, and have to double clutch before making the little toss. I get the feeling he is surprised at times where he finds them. He has also missed them more than he used to, which could be their problem as much or more than Favre's.

Cheesehead Craig
09-24-2007, 08:33 AM
As an aside, anyone but me forget that Merriman was even suited up today until he congratulated Favre after the game?
Harv, Superfan and I noticed that during the game as well. Merriman was nowhere to be seen the whole game. I saw some plays where he tried bull-rushing Clifton and Chad simply stonewalled him.

MJZiggy
09-24-2007, 08:40 AM

One of those teams is a shell of its former self, the other two aren't yet hitting on all cylinders, and still the games against Philly and SD were close and could've gone either way. I'm impressed with how GB has played so far, and especially with how they've finished games. But I don't think we've seen them against a team that's playing really well. And I'll be even more surprised if they can carry over what they've done in the first three to the last thirteen. I like what they've shown so far, and I like TT's approach, but I don't think they're quite there yet.

I predicted yesterday someone would use this excuse. We just outplayed them. Pure and simple. When the clock went to :00 our score was higher.

Patler
09-24-2007, 08:41 AM
It was nice to see Clifton and Tauscher perform the way they have in years past!

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Clifton and Tauscher have passed block well the last two games. They both were off in week 1. Some called for their heads.

hoosier
09-24-2007, 09:38 AM

I predicted yesterday someone would use this excuse. We just outplayed them. Pure and simple. When the clock went to :00 our score was higher.

Not an excuse, just intended to put things in perspective. The San Diego team we saw yesterday wasn't the same team that went 14-2 last year. Neither was the Philly team we beat the same one that won their division.

Patler
09-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Not an excuse, just intended to put things in perspective. The San Diego team we saw yesterday wasn't the same team that went 14-2 last year. Neither was the Philly team we beat the same one that won their division.

....and the Packer team that beat Philly and San Diego was not the Packer team of last year either.

Zool
09-24-2007, 09:44 AM
And Philly just hung 56 on Detroit.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 09:47 AM
And Philly just hung 56 on Detroit.

And the Giants just won at Washington--after hanging tough with Dallas in Dallas.

Zool
09-24-2007, 09:49 AM
So we'll beat Washington handily, and Detroit shouldnt even bother to show up.

Lurker64
09-24-2007, 09:51 AM

We play at Detroit on Thanksgiving after a Sunday game. I'm worried about that one.

Zool
09-24-2007, 09:53 AM

We play at Detroit on Thanksgiving after a Sunday game. I'm worried about that one.

Me too actually. I'm just riding out the winning wave. There will probably be a 2 or 3 game losing streak at sometime this season to teams we should beat. Thats when my avatar will be at its peak.

But dammit all, I'm ready to say that my 8-8 prediction is at least a game too low. God I love the day after a big win.

hoosier
09-24-2007, 09:55 AM

....and the Packer team that beat Philly and San Diego was not the Packer team of last year either.

Exactly. So far, my impression is that GB has improved more than SD or Philly has regressed, but I'm still cautious about using these wins as a basis for projecting where they go this season.

Patler
09-24-2007, 09:55 AM
It always amazes me how often the parts of your schedule that look tough and soft in June often end up reversing in Sept through Dec. "Bad" losses and "good" wins in September are often not so impressive when the final standings are in.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2007, 10:36 AM
I think the Packers were fortunate to play San Diego and especially Philly early in the season. I expect both those teams will be better in December. As will Green Bay.

PackerBlues
09-24-2007, 10:54 AM
After watching Green Bay pick apart what most would consider some of the best Defenses in the league, my opinion is that it was an excellent experience for the Packer team. It is also the number one reason that Detroit does not scare me one bit, not in the least. After watching Detroits secondary against the Eagles, I had to laugh. It was as if Detroits secondary was simply running around completely lost out there. It did not even look like they were trying to cover anyone, but more like they were running around blind. I would expect any team that faces Detroit to do the same thing the Eagles did, and would also expect Detroit to wind up at the bottom of the NFC North, with perhaps only the bears as company. That is of course if our luck holds out and by some miracle, Rex (wrecks, lol....good one JH) reamains the starting QB for Chicago.

woodbuck27
09-24-2007, 11:07 AM
For us now it's simply one game at a time and a game plan that will give us the best chance to dominate the clock and keep our defense off the field.

So far so good and as amazing as it is to me that we are 3-0 we'll run with that.

Favre is getting some time and that's what we need and besides that our WR's are running lots of nice slants. Still almost zippo in ther running game but if opposing teams have weak secondarys favre will take advantage and we win the battle of the clock because of Favre's smarts and MM's proper game plan.

We may not have a really decent running game all season. A lot of fans here are saying just wait till Morency gets back.We'll see. That injury he has may well indicate that he may be ready next season not this one.

We are one of what. . .five teams now at 3-0.

Favre looks amazing to me right now . . knock on wood. :)

280 yards avg. per game passing and 6 TD's is too good through 3 games.

Favre looks as good as I've seen him since the MVP years. I think that is great f0r any newer Packer fan to see this great QB play out his final years as he's playing now.

I give a lot of the credit to his communication with Coach Mike McCarthy. Favre seems to be working well with the HC.

The diving catch that DD made in the left Chargers endzone. I will never forget that one. Actually I liked the L-R slant look that Bubba and Greg Jennings showed us yesterday Vs Chargers. Both routes and runs for 6 very solid.

We are 3-0. Thank you GOD!!! :)

Next up Minny. No time to let up there.

Minny had an off week on 'D' Vs the Chiefs. Their 'D' can play better than they did yesterday.

I liked the way our 'D' is hiting but there's seems lots of holes in it up front and we need more fr. our LBer's. I thought that Al Harris and Charles Woodson had better games. We really need those guys.

What's the scoop on NickCollins. Is he really out there?

GO PACK GO !

Ne

Merlin
09-24-2007, 11:35 AM

3T is as bad as I thought. We have no running game and the coach can only work with the guys we have. Morency appears to be done for the years so I wouldn't expect much production out of him. Our offensive line went back to the basics this game and did one thing well, protect Favre. Other then that, we have no running back, not even a committee. Our OL can't block for crap in the run game and we have no depth on our OL.

Our defense is one LB or DB injury away from being worse then average. But we have all these DL's! Maybe one of them could shed 100 # to backup a LB or DB for us.

SkinBasket
09-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Our defense is one LB or DB injury away from being worse then average. But we have all these DL's! Maybe one of them could shed 100 # to backup a LB or DB for us.

Good god man. Do you always sleep with your head in the oven?

Merlin
09-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Do you always believe the hype?

Partial
09-24-2007, 11:55 AM

3T is as bad as I thought. We have no running game and the coach can only work with the guys we have. Morency appears to be done for the years so I wouldn't expect much production out of him. Our offensive line went back to the basics this game and did one thing well, protect Favre. Other then that, we have no running back, not even a committee. Our OL can't block for crap in the run game and we have no depth on our OL.

If we make the playoffs will you admit you're complaints are wrong? EVEN if he brought in LT our team chemistry could be down the pooper and we'd be 0-3. It's impossible to predict that sort of thing. I'm happy with our league leading record.

Patler
09-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Our defense is one LB or DB injury away from being worse then average. But we have all these DL's!

I suspect the same is true for most teams. One or two injuries in the wrong unit can ruin the season. The Packers are well stocked in DL, but no backup strength at LB. Others may have 4 or 5 LBs they are comfortable with, but are an injury or two away from being in shambles on the DL. Almost any team is in trouble if injuries hit hard.

SkinBasket
09-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Do you always believe the hype?

If you haven't noticed, we've started playing real games now, and we've won all three against last year's playoff teams. That's not hype - that's results. You can argue that they weren't pretty wins, but you cannot argue that the result isn't the same as a 54-21 drubbing with 300 yards rushing.

When I referenced your pessimism, I quoted your concerns about injury to our defense. Preemptively worrying about what injuries might happen and what effect that might have on the team seems a little overly negative.

Fritz
09-24-2007, 01:57 PM
The running game was not strong for quite a few seasons under Holmgren, and he was accused of being too pass happy, not understanding the running game, etc. Once the players were in place to have a decent running game, he did.

One really big difference we might have with our backs this year compared to during Holmgren's years when the running game sucked is in the passing game. Look at the number of receptions the backs had in those early Holmgren years. In a lot of ways that substituted for the running game. He had a lot of very good receiving backs.

So far the 2007 backs have looked quite inconsistent in the passing game. A lot of drops, and a lot of times when it appears they are not where Favre expects them to be, even on little safety tosses. He seems to look their way, and have to double clutch before making the little toss. I get the feeling he is surprised at times where he finds them. He has also missed them more than he used to, which could be their problem as much or more than Favre's.

I share your concerns. It is great fun, this winning stuff, but it's just a truth that you can't win in the NFL consistently unless you have at least a semblance of a running game. GB does not have even that.

And it doesn't look like this will be the week to find one.

I wonder sometimes why GB doesn't seem to run any running plays designed to get outside. If you can't push the Williams boys around, can't you run around them?

Scott Campbell
09-24-2007, 02:05 PM
3T is as bad as I thought.

Funny stuff Merlin!

The Shadow
09-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Give me a T!
Give me a T!
Give me a T!

What's that spell?

Disaster...
.................................................. ........................

Please please please just keep these 'disasters' coming!!!!!!!!!!!

MasonCrosby
09-24-2007, 04:44 PM
we beat a chargers team that was 14-2 last year, with the reigning league MVP, the best tight end in the league, a good young qb in rivers, and an emerging receiver in vincent jackson. now whether norv turner is to blame, or in our case, thank i don't care. all i know is we beat that charger team and if we can beat them we can compete with the big boys in the playoffs.

Fritz
09-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Our defense is one LB or DB injury away from being worse then average. But we have all these DL's!

I suspect the same is true for most teams. One or two injuries in the wrong unit can ruin the season. The Packers are well stocked in DL, but no backup strength at LB. Others may have 4 or 5 LBs they are comfortable with, but are an injury or two away from being in shambles on the DL. Almost any team is in trouble if injuries hit hard.

When I was about 14 I received a serious blow to the wrong unit. Luckily I was not yet playing for real (that didn't happen until I was seventeen), but had I been, my season would surely have been ruined.

Man, that hurt.

Bretsky
09-24-2007, 07:40 PM
We're 3-0 so as much as I wish TT would have utilized free agency more and closed the deal for Randy Moss, I keep coming back to we're 3-0. At this point from me he is getting a free pass from criticism. Well except for my sig; I'm still hoping TT signs Boddiford so I can get rid of it :lol:

MJZiggy
09-24-2007, 07:48 PM
B? TT signed Bodiford today.

4and12to12and4
09-24-2007, 07:55 PM
This league is so screwed up, the browns score over 50 on Cincy, the Broncos should be 0-3, the Raiders should be 3-0, they lost because of a perfectly timed time out, and then turn around and win the next week by calling the time out on the other team. Texas almost beats Indy. Houston looks awesome, including Green. LT looks like shit. Same for Larry Johnson. Favre looks like he's 26 years old. The NFC North might be the toughest division in the NFC. I love this year.