PDA

View Full Version : Running game? We don't need no stinkin running game.

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2007, 03:34 PM
I didn't see any progress on the running game. It hurt down near the goal line. I hope that Wynn develops into a featured back.

Can they keep winning like today?

Brainerd
09-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Will Favre and Driver be playing?

cpk1994
09-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Holmgren proved you could do it in his first couple of yeaers in GB by doing just what McCarthy is doing. So, yes they can.

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Holmgren proved you could do it in his first couple of yeaers in GB by doing just what McCarthy is doing. So, yes they can.

Trying to remember who they had in the backfield then... Kieth Woodside? Then Levens & Bennett? I forget.

West Coast offense relies on balance, even tho it features short pass.

b bulldog
09-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Disagree, come playoffs, we will need a running game WHEN WE ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS! :shock:

Lurker64
09-23-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't think we can conclude anything about the running backs from this game. Jackson was 6 for 22, Wynn was 2 for 9, and Grant was 3 for 10. The averages of 3.6, 4.5, and 3.33 weren't bad, and unlike in previous games they were able to gash the defense for the 3-4 yard runs that you expect in spots. The issue was that so few running plays were called (just those 11 plus a couple with Favre), that it either speaks to the offensive playcalling or the playcaller's confidence in the running game.

Whatever, it worked.

superfan
09-23-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't think we can conclude anything about the running backs from this game. Jackson was 6 for 22, Wynn was 2 for 9, and Grant was 3 for 10. The averages of 3.6, 4.5, and 3.33 weren't bad, and unlike in previous games they were able to gash the defense for the 3-4 yard runs that you expect in spots. The issue was that so few running plays were called (just those 11 plus a couple with Favre), that it either speaks to the offensive playcalling or the playcaller's confidence in the running game.

Whatever, it worked.

Right on. There was so little commitment to the run, that the sample data was not enough to make any conclusions.

At least the run blocking looked slightly improved in the few attempts.

gbpackfan
09-23-2007, 04:05 PM
We'll need a running game at some point. Hopefully it will develop. We won't need it next week though. Minnie just LOST to KC! HA HA HA HA HA!!!

PackerBlues
09-23-2007, 04:14 PM
I am not seeing any patience from the running backs. They seem to get the ball and go at a dead run into a wall of linemen.

The coaching for the O-line has been incredible considering how much they have improved over these 3 games. Hopefully the RB's start improving as well.

Scott Campbell
09-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Disagree, come playoffs, we will need a running game WHEN WE ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS! :shock:

We'll also need a running game for the rain, cold, mud and snow.

Lurker64
09-23-2007, 04:18 PM

Ted Thompson has constructed this team for global warming, clearly...

But anyway, this week is a non-starter for the running game issue. Less because we didn't do it well and more because we just didn't try. "Commitment to the running game" was clearly not part of the game plan for San Diego, for whatever reason. I don't imagine we're going to try to pound the ball a lot against Minnesota either.

swede
09-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Our o-line seemed to pass block pretty well the last two games.

The way Favre is throwing the ball MM may as well dig up Don Coryell's playbook.

Maxie the Taxi
09-23-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm usually MM's biggest critic when it comes to not committing to the running game. But in this case, it seems the SD weakness was clearly the secondary. The OL did a respectable job pass blocking, so I think we're still OK up there.

OKC PackerFan
09-23-2007, 04:35 PM
I think the reason our pass defense was average was because we put 8 men in the box alot to stop LT, basicaly it worked because LT didn't have 100 yds rushing.

gbgary
09-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Ted Thompson has constructed this team for global warming, clearly...

:D

RashanGary
09-23-2007, 05:07 PM
If they don't get a run game, they still can get in the playoffs but will likely lose.

If they get a run game, they are a legit SB contender and they'll have the Favre hype to help with the officials. The NFL will want Favre to win one.

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2007, 10:51 PM
If they are going to be a top tier team, they need a running back that the defense respects, plus they need to get the running backs more involved in the passing game. It's possible to do that over the course of the regular season. Unfortunately, they are sort-of in preseason stage where they don't even know yet which of 4 backs can be a running threat. You can't develop Wynn by giving him 2 or 3 carries a game. And of course Morency isn't close to being 100%.

They could make it to the Super Bowl if they get a running back up to speed. No progress on that this week.

RashanGary
09-23-2007, 10:53 PM
If they are going to be a top tier team, they need a running back that the defense respects, plus they need to get the running backs more involved in the passing game. It's possible to do that over the course of the regular season. Unfortunately, they are sort-of in preseason stage where they don't even know yet which of 4 backs can be a running threat. You can't develop Wynn by giving him 2 or 3 carries a game. And of course Morency isn't close to being 100%.

They could make it to the Super Bowl if they get a running back up to speed. No progress on that this week.

God, I'm not thinking SB yet, but now that you mention it. . . .

You are right. If we don't get something going, we are a terminally flawed team in the post season. We'll see how it goes. That line seems capable of finding issues, correcting them and taking it into the next game. They've been on a steady climb from week one, to week two, to this week. Hopefully that trend continues somewhat uninteruped. We could be close to "good enough" by week 10.

Bretsky
09-23-2007, 11:15 PM

God, I'm not thinking SB yet, but now that you mention it. . . .

You are right. If we don't get something going, we are a terminally flawed team in the post season. We'll see how it goes. That line seems capable of finding issues, correcting them and taking it into the next game. They've been on a steady climb from week one, to week two, to this week. Hopefully that trend continues somewhat uninteruped. We could be close to "good enough" by week 10.

I'm not thinking SB yet, but the possibility of a home playoff game has crossed my mind :idea:

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2007, 11:20 PM
If they had a running back, they'd be a complete team. They'd be a credible threat to make it to the SUper Bowl. I only see one team that the Packers couldn't beat. The Bears. Only kidding, only kidding. The Pats, obviously.

Badgepack
09-23-2007, 11:33 PM
I thought the running backs looked a little better today, but they need to put their heads down upon contact and get the extra couple yards, everytime that they were hit the seemed to be stopped dead in their tracks.