PDA

View Full Version : T THOMPSON, IT'S TIME TO SHORE IT UP

Bretsky
04-01-2006, 07:14 AM
Last year a fine group of posters joined something called the SHORT PATROL encouraging Ted Thompson to shore up the talent of the Green Bay Packers by signing a capable OG and drafting nearly all defense to shore up this roster into this contender.

Note the basis of the Shore Patrol is Win Now as well as later, not win later.
So when the Turtle drafted the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Terrance Murphy, and signed the clods he signed, he clearly failed our cause. But with all the injuries and the loads of cash he clearly has another opportunity this year.

So let's Shore it up.

On offense, we are currently missing three starting offensive lineman. We need to be effective there to compete, and cannot have the center of our OL getting overpowered if our QB, whoever it is, has a chance for success.

So TT, at bare minimum, fine a way to bring one and preferrable two starters for the three available positions into the mix. It doessn't matter if our QB is Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre or Payton Manning. If we don't get that middld of the line fixed, we will not have a successful offense.

So get us Jeff Faine, who seems to be the best player out there on the OL right now. And find us one Capable Starting Guard after 6/1. It was the Turtle's fault we sleepwalked at OG in free agency so far and he needs to be held accountable now.

We are OK at TE and we are OK at WR. At QB, if Favre comes back we are set and if he does not we must live or die with TT's selection, who IMO will turn out being a terrible mistake.

The basis of the Shore Patrol is to build a dominant defense that can begin to CONTROL games from that side of the ball. Despite the jaded #7 rating, we do not have that. We lacked playmakers last year and failed to stop teams on several fourth quarter drives. The offensive incompetence also led to a much higher defensive ranking since teams didn't have to score on us as often and often had shorter fields to go for scores.

The best way to build up this future rosters, with either an again Favre or a youthful Rodgers, is to SHORE UP THE DEFENSE. Here are some strong suggestions.

1. Do not just STUP UP TO THE PLATE with Charles Woodson, TAKE A SWING. Get er done TT. We don't wanna see the same lowballing you most likely used when trying to get some of the better free agents in here.
Most likely that's the real reason we had so few visits among the top tier Free Agents.

We have $20,000,000 left. It's OK to give somebody fair market value, or slightly above when you have money. When healthy, Woodson was, and is a playmaker. He is worth a chance. GO GET HIM.

And if you fail with Charles Woodson, go get us Ahmad Plummer or Ty Law.

I have no ill toward Ahmad Carroll, but we can use an upgrade there and he'd be a great #3 CB as well. I want quality over quantity, and to be quite honest there is not a whole lotta quality left at any other defensive positions but CB.

2. Sign Barrett Green- He is the best of the available LB's and capable to compete for a starter when healthy. I won't pound the table for him, but he'd surely help.

3. In the draft, go Defense Defense Defense. Maybe slip an OG in there, but build this defense to be DOMINATING going forward.
I'm fine with Mario Williams but he's not going to be there. The Saints seem to be liking Hawk more and more cut I'm not convinced they will select him.

I cannot remember the last time when we had a dominating leader at the LB position that also serves as a fiery, intense leader. A four year starter, three time all American, great tackler, great instincts, great speed, great change of direction, great strength, and a great SMASH MOUTH football player, which means more than anything.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TURTLE, DRAFT AJ HAWK

He's a guy to build the defense around and barring injuries he's the surest thing this draft has to offer. And we clearly need leaders. AJ Hawk is the guy.

That would give us two starting caliber LB's to go along with Ben Taylor....who seems to be OK.

The 2006 draft is loaded with impact LB's and we should again look at that position in round two because somebody will slip.

It looks like Ernie Sims will be gone by pick 20 with his workouts, but Bobby Carpenter has a chance to slip. If not him, look at DQuell Jackson, who has many of the same attributes as AJ Hawk, but is just not quite as good.

SHORE UP OUR WEAKNESS TT, AND BUILD A DOMINANT DEFENSE !!

By the above moves, or starting defense would look like this

DL- KGB, Kampman, Pickett, Jenkins
LB- Hawk Carpenter/Jackson, Barnett, Taylor, and Green
S- Manuel, Collins
CB- Woodson, Harris

Looking at that, it'd be nice to have a dominating defensive lineman.........but now we do have some defensive playmakers on board in Hawk and Woodson and we have an outstanding start to success.

In rounds 3,4,5,5, and 7 you can begin the Teddy game of trading down and adding selections.

I'd prefer to add a DL, S, or G in round three, and then build up our depth, with the main focus again being on defense defense defense.

Feel free to add to the plan or dispute.

BUT CLEARLY, THE TIME HAS COME FOR THE SHORE PATROL TO COME OUT AND CALL OUT TEDDY THOMPSON.

HEY TURTLE, SHORE IT UP SHORT IT UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RashanGary
04-01-2006, 07:25 AM
I like Faine. I just think if you can fill in a hole that is so glaring with a player that young with that much upside that it would most likely be a very good move.

Clifton = B+
Tauscher = B+
Faine = B
Wells = C-
Coston, Whittaker, White, Barry = I've gotta believe one of those 4 could get a C-. If that is the case I would be OK with a young improving line. If all 4 fall flat on their face we would need to reach else where.

The key is getting Faine. With him all we need is for one of the young players to turn out. I think there is a high probability of that happening.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Bretsky, I agree with everything except for the drafting Hawk. Two words: Michael Huff. Imo, The Turtle should sign LaVar Arrington and draft Carpenter in the 2nd rd, if hes still there; if not, draft Cedric Griffin.

Polar Bear shouldve broken the bank for the OG Hutchinson. Its a missed opportunity on Thompsons part, which could come back to bit him in the ass. Our interior OL is no better than it was last year. Of course, everything would be fine and dandy if Thompson had just keep Wahle and drafted Logan Mankins.

b bulldog
04-01-2006, 09:51 PM
Dump the old man at the QB position!!!! "What are they going to do,... cut me!! Hell yeah! :smile:

Partial
04-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Why would you pay 7 million dollars a season for a guard when both atlanta and denver has proven success with mostly late 2nd round picks and undrafted free agents?

I'd rather have a dominating defenses end and equally solid line, then just hutch. But thats just me.

Partial
04-03-2006, 02:30 AM
They've gotta land two LBs in the first two rounds. Trade down from the top of the third to the bottom to get an extra forth. They should send that extra 4th to cleveland for Faine. They should take Cedric Griffin if he's available in the 3rd, otherwise Brandon Williams. If they take Cedric, they should take Williams in the 4th. From that point forth in the draft, they should build the interior oline and try and land a small, quick dt or a big end that can stop the run.

If they do that, they will receive a 10/10 for the draft and take a huge step in returning to competitive form.

HarveyWallbangers
04-03-2006, 08:37 AM
I think it's a must that they land one LB, but I'm not sure they'll take two. They have Barnett. They can draft Hawk. For the third LB spot, I'd be comfortable with letting Taylor, Green (if he's signed), and Poppinga compete for it. I'd rather see one LB and then either an interior OL, CB, WR, or DE.

woodbuck27
04-03-2006, 01:31 PM
I am caving in. The end of times is upon us regarding Brett Favre.

Thanks for all the excitment and the great memories Brett and there isn't one part of you that I would have changed. You are simply the most exciting player I have ever seen in Professional sports and it will not be the same without you. I wasn't prepared for the exit ramp that was prepared for you Brett.

Shoddy craftsmanship.

You waved goodbye in January - say goodbye soon. Tomorrow I'll be begging you to return.

So with that build that "D" Ted Thompson.

Partial
04-03-2006, 02:08 PM
I have a hunch if they're going for the best player available with regards to team need it will probably be linebacker or a defensive tackle. There are some good ones for both those positions in this draft that should be available in round two

MOBB DEEP
09-28-2008, 10:37 PM
I am caving in. The end of times is upon us regarding Brett Favre.

Thanks for all the excitment and the great memories Brett and there isn't one part of you that I would have changed. You are simply the most exciting player I have ever seen in Professional sports and it will not be the same without you. I wasn't prepared for the exit ramp that was prepared for you Brett.

Shoddy craftsmanship.

You waved goodbye in January - say goodbye soon. Tomorrow I'll be begging you to return.

So with that build that "D" Ted Thompson.

hmmmmmmm.......

MOBB DEEP
09-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Dump the old man at the QB position!!!! "What are they going to do,... cut me!! Hell yeah! :smile:

LOL

Bretsky
09-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Holy Crap I use to be pretty opinionated back when I thought we could use a combination of free agency and the draft to bring a title in the near term.

Shore up the OL; what a concept. Hopefully those players are here now........somewhere on the roster.

Partial
09-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Holy Crap I use to be pretty opinionated back when I thought we could use a combination of free agency and the draft to bring a title in the near term.

Shore up the OL; what a concept. Hopefully those players are here now........somewhere on the roster.

I've heard internally rumblings they're considered playing Juice at DT.

MOBB DEEP
09-29-2008, 08:46 PM

error of ur ways??