PDA

View Full Version : Greg Bedard's post SD game chat (Cliff's replacement)

motife
09-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Q: Joe of Grafton - Brett Favre will soon be 38 yrs old. He was born Oct 10,1969

A: Greg Bedard - Oh, yeah, I forgot to correct that. Brett's not 42 yet. That's my fault. My apologies to you all. I'm not so good at the math sometimes. :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Mark Lukens of Melbourne, FL - Greg: On radio, Larry McCarron said he thought the team's turnaround in the red zone and on special teams this season are a clear indication that McCarthy "has" his players. Bob McGinn's column this week suggested the same thing. Do you sense that McCarthy's players buy his plan?

A: Greg Bedard - We're going to end it here on Mark's solid question. McCarthy is the third coach I've been around, and he seems to have the best pulse of what his team needs to be successful. And that includes getting guys rest and gameplans, etc. He's really done an underrated job. I'm impressed with him. Now, I haven't seen what he does after a loss. But judging from last season, he handled that fine. I think Larry and Bob are both right. Although I don't see how redzone efficiency and special teams play is a reflection of a coach. I think the latter is good playcalling, which McCarthy is in charge of. And I think Mike Stock is one heckuva a special teams coach. But that's it for now. I hope you guys found the selection of questions I answered a little more diverse. That's what I was going for this week. I'm also trying to get better every week. And as you can see, I didn't answer many long-winded questions with big windups. For the sake of the group, ask quick questions in the future. It's better on everybody. See you around the blog.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: JJ of Ybor - Greg, I like your chats, thanks for going them (although you are getting paid). Chargers question: Chargers' coaching staff last year compared to this year, what do you think?

A: Greg Bedard - Terrible, JJ. Turner is a franchise killer, and Cottrell didn't have a clue on a few plays. I saw players literally standing and waiting until he made a call. Really bad stuff.
Q: E. Penny of Oklahoma City - Any believeable answer if one has the ability to think and follow up with additional questions, as to why you score a TD with Brandon but don't allow Brett to throw the pass for the record at home? I don't understand that one at all. Do you Greg? Do they think it needs to be a 20-30 score for it to have greater significance? I mean in the Viking Dome they are going to do very little when the TD pass happens. Based on the articles you've written I would have enjoyed hearing you ask that question and the follow ups after the answer.

A: Greg Bedard - No one's thinking of that, trust me. Would it be great if he broke it at home? Certainly. But the last thing the Packers needed to do there was chance an INT that could be returned for a TD or at least down the field. Wouldn't you agree?
Q: Mark of Greenville, S.C. - I think it speaks volumes on how Brett has embraced the McCarthy's strategy that the Packers can beat yet another '06 playoff team with virtually no running game. But, short quick passes in the flat and across the middle can be just as effective. Your thoughts.

A: Greg Bedard - Mark, I don't think either has a choice right now. Or at least until Morency gets back.
Q: Brett of Milwaukee, WI - Having to work (with no TV or raduo allowed - only computer access), your blogging during the game leaves a lot to be desired. Are you that busy, that you can't update the action a little more frequently? Take a look at the Badger game day blog for how it is done right! Otherwise, you do a fine job online and in the paper. Thanks!

A: Greg Bedard - Brett, I definitely hear you. But here's the deal. We have a guy at the Badgers game that is only there to blog the game. I'm a beat writer and will write at least one story off the game (two or more on the road) so I really need to pay attention and take a lot of notes during the game. I'm trying to find a happy medium, and today was the best I've been able to do so far. Last week, I blogged more and my post-game notes were terrible and I was a little lost. But I hear your complaint and acknowledge it. We're working on it. But I think you should only look to our blog to enhance your viewing of the game, whether it be on TV, radio or play-by-play on the internet. When I give you stuff, I'm going to make it meaningful. Not just rehashing things. Or at least that's the goal.
Q: Bob F of Chagrin Falls - In the next few weeks as we face better run defenses can the entire offense switch to all day short passing? What do you think is the key to having at least a basic running attack in the next few weeks?

A: Greg Bedard - Some carries would be a start.
Q: TKaz of Short Pump VA - Greg, Is there a sense that Cliffy and all his negativity had an adverse effect on the karma of this team? You bring a freshness and optimism that a curmudgeon could never dream of. You are the Packer's good luck charm. Cliffy is probably rolling over somewhere on his Harley... TKaz

A: Greg Bedard - Funny. Anybody else notice that the team I used to cover, the Dolphins, are 0-3, while the Packers are 3-0. Hmmmmm.
Q: jimmy p of ellison bay, wi - I have come to the conclusion that, as good as the Packer defense is looking, that it would be better served if, during the next off season they switched Hawk to play the middle and put Barnett on the weak side. Hawk looks lost playing in space, is out of position a lot in the rush game, and is a step slow and stiff in pass coverage. Barnett would match up beter speed and coverage wise with tight ends and tighten up the perimeter on swings and screens. Have you heard of there being any thought given to doing this?

A: Greg Bedard - I haven't heard anything, and my colleague, Bob McGinn, said in a chat this week that Hawk is much better in coverage than Barnett, so that's why Hawk is the Will. I happen to agree with you, Jimmy, but maybe we're just two idiots. I don't know. I would just love to free Barnett up and let him run wild.
Q: Craig Danula of Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota - Awesome game! Why were the Packers able to protect against a much better d-line today? Do they just match up better against a power front compared to small/faster fronts?

A: Greg Bedard - The Packers had a great gameplan to spread the Chargers' defense out by using so many 3, 4 and 5 receiver sets. The Patriots did the same thing the week before. You would have thought the Chargers coaches would have fixed that. Guess the jet lag clogged their minds.
Q: Bill of Austin - Greg: For years we've heard Brett yell "319" as part of the cadence before the ball is snapped. Is this a decoy, a coverage call, or what? The reason it stands out is because he has used the same number for years. Thanks for your good work.

A: Greg Bedard - You know, Bill, I'm going to ask Brett about that. I'm interesting in that as well. You also hear that in practice. I'll do a blog post on it this week. Keep an eye out for it.
Q: Ben Newton of Dallas, Texas - Randy Moss had another fine day. Wouldn't we be that much better with him instead of squeaking by...??

A: Greg Bedard - You've got to be kidding me. Ben, really, is you love Randy Moss so much, go out and buy a Pats jersey. Your team is 3-0, the same record as the Pats.
Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, Wi - What was Brett's passer rating for the game?

A: Greg Bedard - 110.3. Rivers was 116.2
Q: David of Cary, NC - Who is this Bush guy that got burned all day long in the secondary? Also am I the only one that saw how obvious it was that Brett does in fact care about records?

A: Greg Bedard - Bush beat out Blackmon for the nickel back spot in training camp. If Blackmon can ever get out of his thumb cast, maybe the Packers could think about swapping them out. David, I also got the impression that Favre was very much mindful of the impending record. I think it got the better of him when he was so emphatic that the Packers challenge Lee's possible touchdown that I'm pretty sure Favre called a timeout on his own. McCarthy wasn't happy about that.
Q: Chuck Sliker of Cudahy - Why did the Packers not challenge the ruling on the Donald Lee and James Jones receptions, they looked like touchdowns on the Jumbotron. Did Bush play as bad as he looked to us? Finally, were you as impressed as we were with Crosby's Kickoffs?

A: Greg Bedard - Bush was bad. Crosby and Ryan were both great today. Great specials teams by the Packers.
Q: Josh of El Paso - Any word on Koren Robinson? Should we expect any?

A: Greg Bedard - Don't know if you guys missed this story by Spoon or not. http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=661970
Q: Jeff B of The ORO Valley AZ - Wow, heck of a game. Plenty of positives in this win. But I still have a concern with the play of AJ Hawk. Everytime they called his name today on the radio play by play, it was for a less than stellar, or evn good play. Your colleague McGinn seems convinced we will see the real 5th pick this season. But as of 3 games, I don't think we've seen it? What did you see of AJ Hawk today? Is he improving in your observation?

A: Greg Bedard - I think Hawk struggled again. I can remember one LT run in particular where Hawk's assignment was outside contain. He got sucked inside and Tomlinson ran around Hawk like he wasn't even there. Poor play by Hawk. He should be better than that.
Q: James Knell of Chicago, WI - That was vintage Brett. The Packers have beat two very good teams and now a great team. The Packers have their weaknesses, but they are winning anyway. Still, it's a long season and hopefully a long playoff run. Greg, you are new here. What outside perspective, not commonly heard in these parts, can you give us about this team?

A: Greg Bedard - I wouldn't call the Giants a good team. I think you might find the comments I made about Sanders and this defense interesting below. I've seen this movie before with this style of defense. It doesn't end well most of the time.
Q: Josh of Fort Bliss - Any talk about using the extra cap money to secure some players long term? Seems like TT has been sitting on a pretty good amount of money the last few years.

A: Greg Bedard - That's what most financially sound teams, like the Patriots, do when they have a surplus.
Q: Michael of Los Angeles - Late in the game before Favre and Jennings connected it looked very possible that the Packers could have lost that game by 1. Going for it on 4th & goal from the 1 would have been heavily criticized had the Packers lost. Your thoughts on that decision? Did McCarthy address that after the game? (Barnett's a frigging animal)

A: Greg Bedard - Here's what McCarthy said about going empty there: "We could have run the quarterback. That's an option. He did it on third-and-1 out of an empty backfield set. It's important in the game of football to trust your plan. I thought the empty backfield set was very productive for us today. We did it the second play of the game. Our empty backfield set is something we did all game. It's a part of our game plan, a part of our third-down package, a part of our red zone package. Frankly, I was trusting my call sheet. I learned this a long time ago. In times of crisis, I hate to use the word crisis cause it's overstated, think of players and not play. I put the ball in Brett Favre's hand and I feel very comfortable doing it." If it was anywhere other than the 1, I would have kicked the field goal. But you have to remember, the Packers were down to their final timeout and the thinking is you would gain field position once you forced the punt after they had posession at the 1. It obviously worked for them.
Q: Bill of Milwaukee - Should the rest of the season even be played? It's inevitable that its going to be the Packers vs. Colts/Pats. The only game that really needs to be played is the Colt vs the Pats to see who the Pack will beat.

A: Greg Bedard - LOL. I'm not sure I agree with you, Bill, but it's refreshing to hear from the other side of Packersland, instead of the "waiting for the other shoe to drop/TT must rot" contingent. But I'm sure the Cowboys, Seahawks, Bears and 49ers might disagree with you. Those teams are pretty good. The good news is the Packers play three of them (not Seattle), so we'll know for sure.
Q: Jeff of Tampa - OK, I know the refs said no, but were any of those non-TDs at the end really TDs? And I was at a bar and only saw the end, but why didn't the Packers challenge either of those?

A: Greg Bedard - I thought Lee didn't get in, but I thought Jones did. McCarthy said in the post-game press conference that he wished he would have challenged Jones' catch. Then again, the Packers only had one timeout left at that point. Really tough to chance it there.
Q: Josh of Fort Bliss - Greg, what do you think of GBs schedule going forward from here. Also do you think that Brett can continue to carry this team in the long term?

A: Greg Bedard - I think it's really rough that the Packers have back-to-back road games three times this season. That's almost unheard of. And that final stretch of playing 4 of their final 6 on the road is bru-tal, including back-to-back Thursday games. A soon-to-bee 42-year-old QB can't carry a team for the whole season. Even if his name is Brett Favre. He's due for a stinker. And this team will get clobbered when it inevitably happens.
Q: Ahdo of Cousin Bruce's Man Cave - Great work Greg. As the expectations begin to climb we need you to keep us in check. So far what part of this team is most over rated, and may cause us problems in the future?

A: Greg Bedard - Thanks Ahdo. I think what I'm worried about is Sanders' not using the blitz as a weapon. But it is hardly surprising to me. This was a major complaint of Jim Bates' defense in Miami, when Sanders was the LB coach. They just get scared to death of getting beat by the big play, so they rely on the big guys up front to generate pressure. It's not going to happen all season. The front of this defense wears as the season goes on. Happened all the time with the Dolphins. I'd like to see some more blitzing, and a semblance of a running game. You're going to need both those things to go far late in the season.
Q: John Nash of Madison, WI - Is Brett Favre once again the best player on the Packers?

A: Greg Bedard - I think after today, Nick Barnett deserves to be talked about as the best Packers player. He did a great job against Westbrook and Tomlinson, two of the best backs this league has to offer.
Q: Bill Nelson of Washington, DC - First, I'm not the senator, its really my name, I'm a Wisconsin native living in DC, second, I tried not to get too excited after last week's win, but now we've beat 3 straight playoff teams from last year, and really started off great with what everyone said was a brutal early season schedule, I guess to sum up my question, just how good are these Packers?

A: Greg Bedard - That's too bad, Bill, I was hoping that I had a more esteemed audience. Can I still call you, The Senator? Kind of a cool nickname. Anyways, I think we're all trying to figure that out. The Packers are good, absolutely. How good? I'm not sure yet. I think I'm waiting for the upcoming Sunday night game against the Bears. They're the top dog in the neighborhood, so you need to make a statement against them. But let's be honest, the Eagles gave the Packers the first game. The Giants are horrible. And despite their talents, the Chargers aren't the same team as last year after all the upheaval. So, yes, I think the jury is still out on the Packers until the Bears game. After that, we'll have our answer on this team.
Q: Mark in Q-Town of Albuquerque, NM - Greg, I guess now the talking video bobble-heads (none of whom seem to have picked the Pack this week) may actually begin to respect the Packers. Excellent victory! As I couldn't watch the game, what was the issue of pass coverage in the middle of today's game. For a while there Rivers seemed unstoppable!

A: Greg Bedard - Mark, Rivers was just that good. Just like when Favre is unstoppable, sometimes the other guy can be also. Plus, Bush looked lost out there and was getting picked on.
Q: Michael of Los Angeles - Early on it looked like Ryan Grant was going to get a lot of carries. That ended early and I didn't see him the rest of the day. Was he injured or did the Packers game plan switch that quickly?

A: Greg Bedard - Seemed to be the gameplan. The Packers just didn't run much, period, so I wouldn't read too much into it.
Q: Thewy of Uncle Lolly's - Has the NFL said if they are going to do anything special when Brett breaks the TD record?

A: Greg Bedard - The last we checked, the NFL said it wasn't likely that Goodell would be at the game. Rozell wasn't there when Walter Payton set the rushing record, and Tagliabue wasn't there when Emmitt Smith set it again. The NFL just has a precedent. And it's not like in baseball where they stop everything and have a ceremony. There's a football game going on.
Q: JT of Reno - What a great game but I must ask, why not run the ball on forth and inches on the goal line with 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Do are coaches have that little faith in our running game?

A: Greg Bedard - In a word, yes. Like I said, at some point the coaches are going to have to show some confidence in the guys up front and in the backfield.
Q: Brad Skeleton of Glendale - It appeared that Brett had all Day to throw the ball. Is this improved line play? Or is SD's D bad? Also, if the Packers can win games by passing, which they've done 3 weeks running (no pun intended) why not do it? Have you ever heard someone complaining that their team won 3 games in a row but they ran the ball too much? What's up with that?

A: Greg Bedard - The line was definitely better, but the spread offense really negated the Chargers' obvious speed advantage up front. I mean, did Shawne Merriman even play today? He was nowhere to be seen. About the other thing, Brad, at some point in time (like on the goal line on 4th and 1) this game comes down to being able to lineup and knocking the snot out of the guy in front of you to get 1 yard. So far the Packers haven't answered whether they can do that or not. At some point, probably a crucial point, they are going to have to answer that question. You would like to have that answer as soon as possible.
Q: KML of MPLS - Do you think the Packers are a playoff team? The potential seems to be there.

A: Greg Bedard - Without question. Even if they lose next week, teams that start 3-1 go to the playoffs 65 percent of the time. Unless there's a rash of injuries, the Packers should be in the playoffs. And a strong contender at that.
Q: Josh of El Paso - How is the GB injury situation going into next week?

A: Greg Bedard - Off the top of my head, I can't really think of anything major. Jennings said he came out of the game feeling good. Morency, I wouldn't expect to see him on that turf in Minnesota. At this point I would rest him completely for Chicago.
Q: John of Naples, Fl. - I don't understand Packer Fans, or maybe their not Packer fans at all, that might explain some of the questions that you get on this chat. The Pack is 3 & 0, there isn't 6 packer fans in Wis. that thought would happen. Lets enjoy the victories and quit crying about the fact that we don't have a running game, or that the line is blocking. We just beat the San Diego Chargers with all of their stars.. WOW...........

A: Greg Bedard - John in Naples, a wise man. Must be the nice weather.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Unbelievable. I really did not think the Packers had the talent to hang in there with the Chargers. Great effort. How well did you think the Pack's cornerbacks played? Rivers was really on the money.

A: Greg Bedard - Harris and Woodson played well. The TD Harris gave up was just a perfect throw and catch. He was in great position. That just happens sometimes. I would be worried about Jarrett Bush as the nickel back. It was obvious the Chargers were picking on him and after seeing him get torched, you can expect every team to do that. But you're right, Jesse, Rivers was phenomenal today. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the other guy. I tip mine to Rivers. Great game. He had only one ball in the first three quarters that was uncatchable.
Q: Jp of Orlando - Greg, What was the Injury to Jenkins? Serious?

A: Greg Bedard - No, he's fine. Just got the wind knocked out of him. Those injuries look bad at first. I talked to him after the game. He's fine.
Q: Josh of El Paso, TX - How did our TEs look today?

A: Greg Bedard - OK. Franks dropped a sure TD catch. Seems to be a recurring thing in his career. Lee had four catches and a near TD.
Q: Chris of Hattiesburg, MS - What is the feasibility of a fourth MVP for Favre? Thanks.

A: Greg Bedard - If the season ended right now, Favre would at least be one of the top guys, if not the winner. So it's definitely in the realm of possibility, but there's 13 more games left.
Q: Jake of Istanbul - Hý Greg. Love the work you've done so far. Competent but humble in Packerland...Even from my labtop, this was an exhilarating win. Why did Ryan Grant get pulled after a decent start? Do you think the Pack should've passed on the 4th and 1 and gone for the record or was running with Jackson the right move? Was the failed game plan to contain Gates more the byproduct of focusing on LT?

A: Greg Bedard - Thanks Jake. You're right that Grant wasn't seen much after the opening drive, but the Packers only had 9 rushes as a team after three quarters, so I wouldn't say he was benched. Seemed like they wanted to look at the other guys. I would have run there because I would have been scared to death of one of those Favre specials, the desperation forced throws. At least if you run and don't get it, you're assured of the Chargers getting at the 1-yard line. Yes, I think Gates' big day had to do with their concentration on Tomlinson. Which worked wonders, by the way.
Q: John of Minneapolis - Although I'm very happy with the win, I have to question the forth down call on the one yard line. It seemed like they were trying to give Brett a touchdown stat rather then win the game. With an empty backfield it gave the linebackers no run to worry about. Do you agree that this was not a great call?

A: Greg Bedard - I have no idea why you would go empty at the 1 yard line. At least give the threat that someone other than a 41-year-old QB can run the ball in. Not a big fan of that at all.
Q: pat sullivan of Wisconsin Rapids - Greg, Why aren't quarterbacks in college and the pros taught to protect the ball more?

A: Greg Bedard - Well, there aren't really a whole lot of drills that can simulate how it feels to hold the ball with 300-pound athletic freaks trying to tear your arm off -- unless you're fine with getting your quarterback killed in practice.
Q: Mike Gordon of San Antonio - Can we continue to win with having to pass over and over again on 3rd and short

A: Greg Bedard - Not when the games really count in the postseason. If there was one thing that alarmed me today, it was McCarthy's complete disregard for the running game.
Q: Ann of Amherst, NH - (Cont'd)And I guess the Packers' D works only when the opposing QB isn't playing well. Rivers and his receivers were just playing catch out there. The longer the distance, the later the down, the more deadly they were. Grump. (Pretty good game, though.)

A: Greg Bedard - You guys have all heard that the Packers won right? 31-24 over a pretty talented Packers team? Just making sure.
Q: Ann of Amherst, NH - WHY THE H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEYSTICKS DIDN'T THE PACKERS RUN THE BALL IN FROM 1ST AND GOAL AT THE 5??????????? Surely the record isn't worth that much.

A: Greg Bedard - You mean from the 6 after the Coston penalty in the fourth quarter? They had barely run all game up to that point. Why would you expect them to change? But I agree with you. This team is going to have to run sooner or later, and it ain't going to be next week against Pat Williams and the Vikings, that's for sure.
Q: Paul of Missoula - Why in the worid did Saunders sit back in a weak zone defense in the first half without a single blitz on the chargers last drive and allow an immoble qb like Rivers pick them apart? This seems to be Sauders mo.Why doesnt Mcarthy step in and change a game plan that was so innefective ?

A: Greg Bedard - You know they were up 17-7 until there was a minute to play, right?
Q: Josh of Chicago, IL - I don't normally like to complain about the refs, but it certainly seemed like the Packers were playing against 17 out there today instead of 11 -- particularly on the two 1st quarter pass interference calls, one on each end. What were the thoughts in the press box about those?

A: Greg Bedard - Well, Josh, I thought they got one right and one wrong. There was blantant pass interference on the incompletion to Driver. He was hauled down by the defender. But the call on Woodson was correct. Just like Harri's PI penalty last week, you just can't have your hands on a receiver when the ball is in the air. Period. It will get called every time.
Q: mike of monroe center il - Is this game a statement of how far the packers have come from 2005 or a statement of bad the chargers have slumpted since 2006

A: Greg Bedard - Hey there guys and gals. Big win by the Packers over the Chargers, so I'm sure you're all pumped up. Let's get to the questions. Mike, I think it's both. The Packers, while still a work in progress on offense, are a good football team. There is no doubt. The Chargers are just a mess right now because of the coaching change. And it wasn't just the head coach, both OC Cam Cameron and DC Wade Phillps got head coaching jobs elsewhere. And the confusion that has ensued was evident today for the Chargers.