PDA

View Full Version : How do we match up with the Vikes?

Partial
09-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Ras, I'm looking at you! What are you strengths and weaknesses? What has the national media missed? Fill us in!

packers11
09-23-2007, 09:45 PM
From watching a little highlights of them...

STOP AP... Hes a monster... If the packers can stop AP than the QB will have the beat the packers, which I can't seen happening...

I haven't watched their defense though, so Ras it would be nice to fill us in about the D...

esoxx
09-23-2007, 09:47 PM
I've been very impressed with their defense. Very active and they get after it pretty good. Run defense is again very rugged.
Same game plan this week. Spread them out and pass. It won't be easy but doable.

]{ilr]3
09-23-2007, 10:01 PM
The viks are so strong against the run. Luckily we are not a threat to run, so we will have to pass pass pass. Which is really working pretty well to this point!

gbgary
09-23-2007, 10:03 PM
use the same game plan as today. stop the star running back at all costs and make them beat you through the air. their qb isn't as good as rivers and neither is their group of receivers. being a road game, in a dome, against a hated rival are points against us. should be a good game as all PACKER/viking games are.

Scott Campbell
09-23-2007, 10:04 PM
We might hold a slight edge at QB.

:wink:

Carolina_Packer
09-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Maybe if they still had Tommy Kramer!

GBRulz
09-23-2007, 10:09 PM
We have a better kicker :lol:

BallHawk
09-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Maybe Longwell is going to have to devour some crow after Sunday....

He'll surely be "eating good in the neighborhood." :wink:

GBRulz
09-23-2007, 10:29 PM
LOL

ny10804
09-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Give AP the LT/Westbrook treatment. Kelly Holcomb will not beat us.

AND, don't run at Fat and Kevin Williams. Let Brett do his thing.

Everyone knows this....

Bretsky
09-23-2007, 11:13 PM
We'll surely pass four out of five plays. Their DL is very very solid and will stop our running game.

They have an opportunistic defense. If we give them turnovers they have a good chance of beating us.

Holcomb gives them a better chance to win than T Jackson IMO

No turnovers or we win the turnover battle- IMO we win.
But if they win the turnover battle an upset would not surprise me

HarveyWallbangers
09-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I think we match up well with them. Defensively, we seem to do well against one-dimensional offenses. Offensively, they are great against the run and still spotty against the pass. The way we run we make everybody look like the Vikings run defense, so we are used to it.

Jimx29
09-23-2007, 11:42 PM
'Tis a shame that the rollerdome is gonna have to allow the game to be stopped so Brett can properly celebrate the TD record :)

oh wait......that isn't vikes strength/weakness related :doh:

Harlan Huckleby
09-23-2007, 11:44 PM
wonder if they'll turn-down the piped-in noise when Favre is recognized.

MadScientist
09-24-2007, 12:00 AM
'Tis a shame that the rollerdome is gonna have to allow the game to be stopped so Brett can properly celebrate the TD record :)

oh wait......that isn't vikes strength/weakness related :doh:

Lucky Ras - he gets to see it in person. I suppose there has to be some advantage to being a Queens fan.

Tony Oday
09-24-2007, 12:39 AM
I think we could be in trouble in this one they will preasure Favre and hopefully he can hit some great short slants and driver can double move sharper and score a long one early.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 01:39 AM
According to this expert, we lose next week.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/61746

FritzDontBlitz
09-24-2007, 02:16 AM
wonder if they'll turn-down the piped-in noise when Favre is recognized.

yes, because they will need to use the sound system to pipe in the polite applause for favre's accomplishment. 8-)

Packers4Glory
09-24-2007, 03:21 AM
we suck in MIN...thats first and foremost on my mind.

I don't think one MIN WR caught a pass sunday. that means 8 men in the box and stop AP.

mmmdk
09-24-2007, 03:58 AM
We'll surely pass four out of five plays. Their DL is very very solid and will stop our running game.

They have an opportunistic defense. If we give them turnovers they have a good chance of beating us.

No turnovers or we win the turnover battle- IMO we win.
But if they win the turnover battle an upset would not surprise me

Well put :tup:

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 09:12 AM
we suck in MIN...thats first and foremost on my mind.

We've won 3 of our last 4 at the Dome.

mngolf19
09-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Pack needs to spread out the D like others have said. 4 wide is the best way to go along with short passes. The earlier you start this the earlier you put points on the board. A standard offense the Vikes can stop. Packers shouldn't even try to run until they are trying to use up clock. On the other side, AP is everything right now. And if Holcomb can shake off rust then maybe he can keep it interesting. If not, then it will not be a close game. Vikes will have top 3 running D at end of year and mid-range pass D. They can keep the score low by playing bend but don't break. And if for some reason Favre is not on that day, then D will definitely take advantage. Should see alot of action out of Crosby in this game.

Rastak
09-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Vikings run defense has been lights out. Pass defense has been a bit spotty. They got a great pass rush on Atl and a decent rush against Det. They knocked Kitna silly a couple of times. Against KC they needed more of a push and didn't completely get it. Holcomb looked ok but if he hangs on to the ball as long as he did Sunday GB will kill him. On offense the playcalling sucks. Almost every game this year they have someone running free for a TD and the QB misses him. Crappy 3rd down calls. Lousy clock management. It's alot of small things that have caused them to lose the last two games by 3 points. AP looked outstanding again yesterday. OL didn't do much yet he just outran people. I expect a low scoring game and if Holcomn is a little more acurate a Viking win is quite possible.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 01:34 PM
I would say that the Vikings pass rush has looked better this year, but they were going up against three of the worst pass blocking OLs in football. I'm not convinced they've made the strides there that they need to. Adrian Peterson is really good. Obviously, the entire focus has to be on stopping him.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2007, 01:43 PM

Just don't let Donovan hear you say that.

Patler
09-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Vikings run defense has been lights out.

They'll never stop GREEN BAY's running attack! :roll: :roll:

If they want to, I'll bet the Packers can roll up, 20-25 yards in rushing against the Vikings. But it will take a commitment by MM, at least twenty-five carries to do it!

Fritz
09-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Vikings run defense has been lights out. Pass defense has been a bit spotty. They got a great pass rush on Atl and a decent rush against Det. They knocked Kitna silly a couple of times. Against KC they needed more of a push and didn't completely get it. Holcomb looked ok but if he hangs on to the ball as long as he did Sunday GB will kill him. On offense the playcalling sucks. Almost every game this year they have someone running free for a TD and the QB misses him. Crappy 3rd down calls. Lousy clock management. It's alot of small things that have caused them to lose the last two games by 3 points. AP looked outstanding again yesterday. OL didn't do much yet he just outran people. I expect a low scoring game and if Holcomn is a little more acurate a Viking win is quite possible.

Poor play-calling...poor clock management....and to think TT wanted to interview Childress. Thank goodness Minny hired him right away. Stole another possible Packer away, just like they did with Schlongwell.

Okay, okay. And Sharper.

AtlPackFan
09-24-2007, 03:00 PM
I think we could be in trouble in this one they will preasure Favre and hopefully he can hit some great short slants and driver can double move sharper and score a long one early.

Tony, what the heck are you doing in Minnesota? When did you leave the Atlanta area???

Deputy Nutz
09-24-2007, 03:18 PM
The only thing the Vikings have got going for them is playing in the Dome this week. They have played some of the worst teams in the NFL, Detroit, Atlanta, and KC. They lacked the ability in all three games to put up any serious offensive and like I said before their best weapon is Adrian Peterson and he is a rookie that would have to carry the ball 25 times and touch the ball about 35 times for the Vikings offense to even come close to scoring enough points to beat the Packers.

On the other hand, Favre has been turnover prone in his career at the dome, and as always take aways are the key to the football game. You give even the Vikings a short field or allow defensive touchdowns they can easily steal this game from the packers.

Right now if I had to lay a spread I would say the Packers are a 4 point favorite.

AV David
09-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Antoine Winfield is a terrific corner. Griffin, the other corner is a second year guy who plays pretty good for awhile and then gives up a big play. He was interviewed on KFAN this morning and basically said just that. He doesn't know why. Their nickel back is a rookie MacAuley. he was described as "not playing as well as he did in the preseason". Safeties are D Sharper and some guy. Sharper is still decent but not nearly as good as he thinks and says. He is still a cocky bastard that seems to covet personal accomplishements more than team accomp-lishments.

LBs are pretty good. E J Henderson the MLB is very good. DTs are awesome against the run, just OK as pass rushers.

Erasmus James is on the roster but still noticeably gimpy. Not expected to play. They have a rookie 4th rounder from somewhere in Texas that is a better rusher than you would expect. The other DE is K Udezi who had no sacks at all last year.

Summary:

DTs: Monsters against the run,very pedestrian against the pass.

DEs: One good pass rusher and one mediocre pass rusher.

DBs: One terrific corner, one OK corner prone to mistakes. Nickel back is a rookie and a bit overwhelmed. You tell me about Sharper. OK but much louder than justified. The other safety is just a guy. He hits better than he runs. His most memorable play was last year when he got caught screwing a Hudson WI girl in a stairwell down town on Hennepin Ave. .

You can't run against them but even mediocre passers do very well.

Fritz
09-24-2007, 05:19 PM
Did he get called for holding?

3irty1
09-24-2007, 06:02 PM
We stack up beautifully against the Vikings. Their strongest point as a team is their stellar run defense and we don't even do that. The queens play zone heavy coverage which creates lots of turnovers but gives up its share of big plays. Despite our 1.5 dimensional offense, I'm confident Favre will get his points this week. On the other side of the ball, our defense only needs to be as good as Kansas City's :glug:

We are the best offense and the best defense that the queens have seen so far.

Rastak
09-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Antoine Winfield is a terrific corner. Griffin, the other corner is a second year guy who plays pretty good for awhile and then gives up a big play. He was interviewed on KFAN this morning and basically said just that. He doesn't know why. Their nickel back is a rookie MacAuley. he was described as "not playing as well as he did in the preseason". Safeties are D Sharper and some guy. Sharper is still decent but not nearly as good as he thinks and says. He is still a cocky bastard that seems to covet personal accomplishements more than team accomp-lishments.

LBs are pretty good. E J Henderson the MLB is very good. DTs are awesome against the run, just OK as pass rushers.

Erasmus James is on the roster but still noticeably gimpy. Not expected to play. They have a rookie 4th rounder from somewhere in Texas that is a better rusher than you would expect. The other DE is K Udezi who had no sacks at all last year.

Summary:

DBs: One terrific corner, one OK corner prone to mistakes. Nickel back is a rookie and a bit overwhelmed. You tell me about Sharper. OK but much louder than justified. The other safety is just a guy. He hits better than he runs. His most memorable play was last year when he got caught screwing a Hudson WI girl in a stairwell down town on Hennepin Ave. .

He had a great pick on the 3 yard line against Detroit.

3irty1
09-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Summary:

I like Sharper the best our of all their DB's. He has the attitude of a great safety and always seems to play well in the games that I watch. I've always thought Winfield was overrated. He's a good fit in the zone heavy packages the Vikings like to use but is nothing special when matched up against an opponents best wide out.

TennesseePackerBacker
09-24-2007, 06:31 PM
This could certainly be a let-down game or a look-a-head(Chicago next week) game for us. Then again, it's in division, and I don't see the team losing much steam with the first division game of the year.

If Favre throws 2 or more picks we lose, probably that simple really. Or, If we score more than 20 we win.

run pMc
09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Classic trap game:
looking past them to Chicago
playing a desperate team at home
Favre has had his struggles in the dome.

I think M3 will call some run plays early, but will abandon it and go pass-heavy, especially if Favre looks sharp. If our OL remember to block and the WRs stay healthy it could be a long day for the MIN secondary. The MIN DL is pretty stout against the run.

GB's D has to stop AP and pressure the QB. I don't think MIN's WR's are very scary, and if MIN gets the run game going it could be trouble. I expect Chilly to call a conservative/ball-control game, hoping the score stays close into the 4Q and his D can force Favre into doing something stupid. The MIN D is fast, aggressive, and opportunistic -- they've scored as many TD's as the O has. From what I can tell GB's special teams are better. Turnovers are going to be key.

the_idle_threat
09-25-2007, 12:22 AM
We stack up beautifully against the Vikings. Their strongest point as a team is their stellar run defense and we don't even do that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Great point! That's looking on the bright side!

The queens play zone heavy coverage which creates lots of turnovers but gives up its share of big plays. Despite our 1.5 dimensional offense, I'm confident Favre will get his points this week. On the other side of the ball, our defense only needs to be as good as Kansas City's :glug:

Another great point. :lol: Sad (for our friends Ras and mngolf), but true!

the_idle_threat
09-25-2007, 12:25 AM
It's possible this could be a trap game, but I think that possibility is greatly diminished by the facts that (1) this is our first division game and (2) it's the Vikes, who have been as much a rivalry as the Bears over the past decade or so.

They had better be "up" for this game.

OS PA
09-25-2007, 02:57 AM
One thing that worries me is a team with fast receivers. (Even if they can't catch) Minnesota has two burners in Williamson and Rice, that could pose problems for our secondary. Our D is incredibly fast up the middle, but our corners are not world-class speedsters. The first two weeks they didn't really face fast guys, but in the San Diego we saw what can and will happen when we do. Harris flat out got burned by Vincent, and Jarrett Bush can't seem to run with anyone. With this said, Nick Collins can run with anybody in the league so if one of the aforementioned receivers does get past a CB, I expect Collins to cover. Atari will be in the box the entire day in order to keep Peterson in check, and I have complete faith in Poppinga and Barnett's ability to cover Kleinsasser and Shiancoe.

Really the game-plan on Defense this week is keeping everything in front of the secondary and keeping Adrian Peterson out of the endzone.

If the D can do this they should be able to put the Viking's offense solely on Longwell's leg.

On offense, we'll just reuse the game-plan we used on San Diego, the only difference is the switch from 3-4 to 4-3.

I expect Favre to get his 45-50 passes again this week and he should easily pick the Viking's zone apart.

Packers - 35
Vikings - 9

3irty1
09-25-2007, 08:53 AM
One thing that worries me is a team with fast receivers. (Even if they can't catch) Minnesota has two burners in Williamson and Rice, that could pose problems for our secondary. Our D is incredibly fast up the middle, but our corners are not world-class speedsters. The first two weeks they didn't really face fast guys, but in the San Diego we saw what can and will happen when we do. Harris flat out got burned by Vincent, and Jarrett Bush can't seem to run with anyone. With this said, Nick Collins can run with anybody in the league so if one of the aforementioned receivers does get past a CB, I expect Collins to cover. Atari will be in the box the entire day in order to keep Peterson in check, and I have complete faith in Poppinga and Barnett's ability to cover Kleinsasser and Shiancoe.

Really the game-plan on Defense this week is keeping everything in front of the secondary and keeping Adrian Peterson out of the endzone.

If the D can do this they should be able to put the Viking's offense solely on Longwell's leg.

On offense, we'll just reuse the game-plan we used on San Diego, the only difference is the switch from 3-4 to 4-3.

I expect Favre to get his 45-50 passes again this week and he should easily pick the Viking's zone apart.

Packers - 35
Vikings - 9

Sid Rice is by no means a "speedster." He is a possession guy. Troy is hella fast but in the past he has been a non factor against the physical bump and run coverage that all teams face when they line up against the mighty Al Harris.

Rastak
09-25-2007, 08:54 AM

Packers - 35
Vikings - 9

Sid Rice is by no means a "speedster." He is a possession guy. Troy is hella fast but in the past he has been a non factor against the physical bump and run coverage that all teams face when they line up against the mighty Al Harris.

Yea, he is a 4.5 kind of guy....not slow but not elite speed either.

woodbuck27
09-25-2007, 09:37 AM
We have not established any running game as yet and that has to be solved soon.

The game lies in how well we stop the Viking running game.

The matchup at QB is all Favre.

Our secondary should be able to contain the Viking pass and if Favre doesn't have a lousy dome appearance we win this game.

MM has to keep the team settled down and not get too high. MM has to keep Favre focused and calm. :)

GO PACKERS !