PDA

View Full Version : TT's best acquisition?

Partial
09-24-2007, 12:23 AM
MM

cpk1994
09-24-2007, 06:56 AM
I agree, and even sweeter that the so called "experts" on this forum said TT was out of his mind to hire MM and should have made a better push to get Childress and are proven dead wrong.

Patler
09-24-2007, 07:07 AM
I agree, and even sweeter that the so called "experts" on this forum said TT was out of his mind to hire MM and should have made a better push to get Childress and are proven dead wrong.

Who has ever called anyone, or themselves, an expert?
Aren't we all just giving our opinions?
Aren't we ALL sometimes right and sometimes wrong? (Feel free to bring up Atlas Herion here if you want to! :oops: )

MJZiggy
09-24-2007, 07:53 AM
I don't know, some of us around here liked MM from the get-go and were willing to see what he could do and why he got hired. I liked him then and I still like him.

Patler
09-24-2007, 08:05 AM
I don't know, some of us around here liked MM from the get-go and were willing to see what he could do and why he got hired. I liked him then and I still like him.

But did you then, or now, call yourself an "expert"? :D

I found it real hard to have an opinion about MM, because he was so unknown. His down to earth style seemed like a good fit for Green Bay.

I will admit that I was very skeptical of the coaching staff MM selected, (and still am to some extent) because they did not have backgrounds with real successful programs. I couldn't help but remember Wolf's comment from a few years back when he said it was important to assemble a staff with a backbone of coaches who had come from successful programs, because they knew what it took to win.

Spaulding
09-24-2007, 08:06 AM
I can't say I was crazy with the hiring of MM. I honestly wanted Jim Bates and thus was pretty much disappointed at first. Watching him handle the position led me to respect his approach and in hindsight I'm not sure how Bates would have meshed with TT given his fiery personality. Likely the reason TT went with an unknown like MM versus a proven defensive coach like Bates.

The Leaper
09-24-2007, 08:07 AM
I agree on McCarthy. The guy is a solid coach who also seems to be able to motivate players.

That was my biggest apprehension about the Chargers game. McCarthy loves to run the ball, sometimes even against a brick wall. I knew the only way to beat the Chargers (or ANY 3-4 defense for that matter) is to play a spread offense and THROW, THROW, THROW. I was not certain McCarthy would switch to that quickly enough.

Sure enough...he came out trying to run it. However, within 2 series, McCarthy recognized it was pointless and put the ball in Favre's hand. That proved to me that McCarthy has the ability to do what is necessary to win, even if it goes against his preference. That is one of the critical elements to being an above average coach in today's NFL.

Decades past, teams were far more similar to each other in their approach and decision-making. Things were determined by players on the field far more than coaches on the sideline. Today, teams are widely different in approach and coaches make a much greater impact on the game.

Just take a look at Joe Gibbs...that exact element I point to with McCarthy is why Gibbs can't succeed today like he could 20 years ago. The game has changed...you can't line it up and simply run over the other guys anymore because your guys are better.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Funny how nobody really jumps out at you. The roster is vastly improved without the addition of any superstars.

Woodson might be the best of his Ted's tenure.

cpk1994
09-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Yes, but there were some that wanted TT fired for that hire. THey said that because he came from one of the worst teams(San Francisco), that the Packers wer doomed to failure. THey said that MM would never amount to anything and had their minds made up from his introductory press conference that MM was already a horrendous coach. Its one thing to have an opinion, its quite another to throw TT under the bus before MM got to prove or disprove his value. I for one am glad that those posters are looking very foolish.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2007, 08:21 AM
In all fairness it's still just 3 games. The Vikings started out 3-0 last year - didn't they? Though the Packer are winning in what appeared to be the meat of their schedule.

SkinBasket
09-24-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm still not ready to forget the 1st and goal at the 1 fiasco. That was terrible, terrible coaching and play calling that should have, by all rights, cost us the game.

By the way, does anyone know where Coston lives? I would like to kick him in the nutsack for his laughing reaction to his false start at the 1 on that series.

The Leaper
09-24-2007, 08:31 AM
In all fairness it's still just 3 games. The Vikings started out 3-0 last year - didn't they? Though the Packer are winning in what appeared to be the meat of their schedule.

I believe they were 2-1.

PackerBlues
09-24-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm still not ready to forget the 1st and goal at the 1 fiasco. That was terrible, terrible coaching and play calling that should have, by all rights, cost us the game.

By the way, does anyone know where Coston lives? I would like to kick him in the nutsack for his laughing reaction to his false start at the 1 on that series.

Glad you said it, cause I was afraid to, so soon after such a great win :wink: . I was going nutz after M3 called the passing play on 4'th and inches on the goal line. I was so disapointed, and thought for sure that it was the end of the game. I remember thinking maybe, just maybe our Defense could get a safety and good field position after, but did not have very high hopes since we still are not seeing much consistency from our Defense when it comes to pressuring opposing QB's. I honestly did not think GB was going to get a chance to score again after that, and was ready to start calling for M3's job. (I actually did notice a couple guys in the forums going off about firing him, lol)

As for Coston, yeah, I also noticed him laughing about that.........Kickin him in the sack sounds about right, at the time, when I saw him laughing, I wanted to bitch slap that stupid look off of his face.........

The team looks so damned good at times, and yet we keep seeing things that make ya think "WTF?".

Patler
09-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Have you all forgotten that MM was absolutely blasted on boards last year for bullheadedly trying to run on first and goal inside the 5 yard line last year?

No matter what you call there, if the defense stones you, you will be criticized for the call. If you make it you're a genius for crossing up the defense.

PackerBlues
09-24-2007, 09:22 AM
That would be all well and good Patler, except that we seem to see the same thing from M3. 3'rd and short......call a passing play. 3'rd and long.......call a run play.

4'th and inches on the freakin goal line.......my god, I thought my head was going to explode!!!!!

Noodle
09-24-2007, 09:23 AM
BIG difference between being on the 5 yard line versus the one foot line (good spot by the official, I have to admit).

If you have any sack at all, you have to run the friggin ball. At the time, I thought MM was trying to get the record for Favre, but maybe he was just out thinkin' the other guys. For whatever reason, that was a brokedick call.

And agree, Favre should have just drilled Juice's junk with a fastball for yuking it up.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 09:32 AM

2-0. They beat Washington and then beat Carolina (who didn't have Steve Smith). They lost their 3rd game.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 09:35 AM
That was a bad call. I don't mind passing so much (our running game stinks), but having an empty backfield was the bad move. I hope he's learned his lesson.

Patler
09-24-2007, 09:37 AM
And agree, Favre should have just drilled Juice's junk with a fastball for yuking it up.

Why, is Favre perfect?
Everybody screws up once in a while. For some reason we are intolerant of linemen making any mistake, but RBs, WRs and QBs do it all the time and we have the attitude of, "Well that happens."

That's one of the reasons I didn't like Favre's scowls and stares, or when he ripped his chin strap off in the first few games when an RB dropped a pass. Did anyone do that when he overthrew the running back by a mile yesterday on a little dump-off pass?

Everybody screws up now and then. You support your team mates, not show them up or belittle them.

Patler
09-24-2007, 09:40 AM
That was a bad call. I don't mind passing so much (our running game stinks), but having an empty backfield was the bad move. I hope he's learned his lesson.

Both MM and Favre said that had been their most successful formation, so they stuck with it. MM went so far as to imply the game plan called for it, and he long ago learned to stick to the game plan.

If that is what their week long scheming told them to do against this team in that situation, I won't fault them for doing it.

Noodle
09-24-2007, 09:45 AM
I agree with your larger point that Favre looks like an ass when he pouts or rips off his chinstrap. I just went with the Favre/fastball bit as a reference to the Paul Crewe/Ray Nitschke scene in The Longest Yard.

Comedy is a dangerous thing.

SkinBasket
09-24-2007, 11:35 AM

Why, is Favre perfect?
Everybody screws up once in a while. For some reason we are intolerant of linemen making any mistake, but RBs, WRs and QBs do it all the time and we have the attitude of, "Well that happens."

That's one of the reasons I didn't like Favre's scowls and stares, or when he ripped his chin strap off in the first few games when an RB dropped a pass. Did anyone do that when he overthrew the running back by a mile yesterday on a little dump-off pass?

Everybody screws up now and then. You support your team mates, not show them up or belittle them.

It wasn't that he made a mistake. Hell our line makes mistakes every down practically. My problem was that we were down by 4 to a pretty good team late in the game, had 1st and goal at the 1 foot line, and he was laughing about pushing us 5 yards back.

Could it have been nervous laughter? Maybe. But it sure doesn't look good to be laughing about doing more damage to our field position than the SD defense could have done in that situation.

The Leaper
09-24-2007, 11:41 AM
No matter what you call there, if the defense stones you, you will be criticized for the call. If you make it you're a genius for crossing up the defense.

I think the correct call on that 4th-and-1 with 5 minutes to play and a great defense is to KICK THE FIELD GOAL.

Forget the pass-run debate. McCarthy has to learn to KICK THAT FIELD GOAL and make it a one point game so we have a strong chance at getting the ball back with a FG to win it.

TheRaven
09-24-2007, 11:42 AM

Why, is Favre perfect?

Agreed.

Patler
09-24-2007, 12:03 PM

I think the correct call on that 4th-and-1 with 5 minutes to play and a great defense is to KICK THE FIELD GOAL.

Forget the pass-run debate. McCarthy has to learn to KICK THAT FIELD GOAL and make it a one point game so we have a strong chance at getting the ball back with a FG to win it.

I agree completely. Field Goal is exactly what I said at the time. I didn't care much what play they ran. I thought it was wrong to pass up the "sure" three points and the opportunity to win on a long FG to end the game.

woodbuck27
09-24-2007, 12:08 PM
MM

I think so. :)

What else can account for the fast start with a zippo running game and a 'D' that I do see some holes in? See **

MM is making good half time adjustments and all his hard work (his coaching staff's) all off season and in TC is being rewarded.

** He has a pretty decent starting QB to help him look good also. He is obviously being succesful in changing favre's style of play to date.

It's too cool. :)

I'm wondering where Aaron Rodgers will find a home? :)

Favre will be back in 2008 if he wants to be.

GO PACK GO !

The Leaper
09-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Favre will be back in 2008 if he wants to be.

GO PACK GO !

Why wouldn't he want to be? This team clearly looks better than last year's...Favre is playing at an All-Pro level...and the team is only going to continue to get better.

At this point, there is no reason to believe he wouldn't be back in 2008. This team is a running game away from being a title contender.

Have I mentioned that there is a strong RB class to draft from this year?

3irty1
09-24-2007, 05:23 PM
MM was a terrific pick up by Thompson. It takes a lot of stones to appoint a head coach with no mustache!

Bretsky
09-24-2007, 07:31 PM

Who has ever called anyone, or themselves, an expert?
Aren't we all just giving our opinions?
Aren't we ALL sometimes right and sometimes wrong? (Feel free to bring up Atlas Herion here if you want to! :oops: )

Lately it seems to be the norm to persecute those that are brave enough to state their opinion and it has not been right :roll:

Bretsky
09-24-2007, 07:35 PM
MM was a terrific pick up by Thompson. It takes a lot of stones to appoint a head coach with no mustache!

Great avatar :lol: