PDA

View Full Version : Official Winners and Losers Week 3

MJZiggy
09-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Winners and Losers Week 3
By Deputy Nutz

As cliché as it may sound, this game was one for the record books. It was a game where grown men jumped up and down and shouted and screamed out loud startling their small children. Favre once again led the Packers on a game-winning drive in the fourth quarter to defeat the vaunted San Diego Chargers and tie the all-time touchdown record at the same time. Favre completed his 420th touchdown on a quick ...read more (www.packerrats.com)

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Very good article, I really enjoyed reading it.

I agree about everything except maybe Bush. I know he didn't cover Gates well, but who did? That is like asking Bush to cover a number one WR. I don't think he was all that bad because if you look at the ones caught against him they were just really good plays by the Wr's. Gates adjusted on a under thrown pass near the sideline and Rivers throw another under thrown pass to another Wr (I forget his name) that he really didn’t have a chance at making a play on. I actually like how he was tight on coverage most of the time.

Once against nice job!

Scott Campbell
09-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Very good article, I really enjoyed reading it.

I agree about everything except maybe Bush. I know he didn't cover Gates well, but who did? That is like asking Bush to cover a number one WR. I don't think he was all that bad because if you look at the ones caught against him they were just really good plays by the Wr's. Gates adjusted on a under thrown pass near the sideline and Rivers throw another under thrown pass to another Wr (I forget his name) that he really didn’t have a chance at making a play on. I actually like how he was tight on coverage most of the time.

Once against nice job!

Bush got picked on a bit yesterday, and he gave up some big plays. But I thought his coverage was pretty encouraging. He's not way out of plays, or having to play grabass to keep from being juked out of his shorts. He's very close to being in the right positions to make some plays.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Is it me, or is Driver improving on how well he has already played in the past. He's downright dangerous in the open field. If he was still a young buck, I'd like to see him fielding punts.

vince
09-24-2007, 08:02 AM
That is a great review for a great game.

I was at Lambeau and what an incredible scene it was there!! There were so many great moments in that well-played game (on both sides of the ball) it was unbelievable!

* Driver getting his head taken off.
* Driver coming back with a great diving touchdown catch on a beautiful pass from Favre.
* Gates' freaky-good performance, but between the 20's.
* Rivers' incredible accuracy and efficiency.
* Rivers' absolutely perfect touchdown pass to Jackson over great coverage by Harris.
* The Chargers' flawless touchdown drives to end the first half and start the second.
* Donald Lee's great effort to reach the endzone, only to come up a few inches short.
* Favre's record-tying touchdown pass, and Jennings' run to the endzone - at a time when the Packers' needed it most.
* The great response by the crowd for Favre when the announcement of the record being tied.
* Barnett's great read and jump on the ball to seal the game.

There were kids being thrown around, hugs and kisses between total strangers and grown men were balling their eyes out in sheer joy - me being one of them.

It was the best game I can remember being at, and your fine piece of analysis and ability to capture the day in words tops it off.

Thanks Nutz.

By the way, I agree with everything you said - especially this as the key to the game.

The Bolts could not blitz as effectively due to the fact that the Packers consistently threatened with 5 receivers.
Obviously, the Packers barely even TRIED to run, but I think you also have to give the offensive coaching staff kudos for developing a great game plan and preparing the players to execute it well. The Chargers blitzing scheme was completely neutralized.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2007, 08:17 AM
* The Chargers' flawless touchdown drives to end the first half and start the second.

Wierd. I thought those two drives were going to kill us, after we seemed to have the game well in control. I noticed a couple of things. The Chargers had a tendency to look great on 3rd and long, but we were often winning winning on 1st and 2nd down with some pretty impressive run stuffing.

Second, they were pretty much consecutive possessions, without a real possession in between for the Packers. I hate that. It gives you an idea of what a team like San Diego can do to you if you're turning the ball over.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2007, 08:25 AM
I nearly forgot about this one. Remember when old man Favre pulled the ball down and ran for the first on 3rd and about 4??? And he finished the play with a head first slide!!!

MadtownPacker
09-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Good read, too bad Bush didn't get a pick, would have been a ALL-WINNERS week.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Funny, my 4 year old boy happened to be in the room when Favre hit Jennings on the winning TD and I jumped up as GJ was running to the endzone and started yelling, laughing and juming up and down and my son said, "What are you doing, daddy!?" I said, "get excited son, the Packers just may have won the game." He started jumping up and down too and saying, "Go Greenba! Go Greenba!" We'll get the name straightened out later, say when he's 5. He still walks in the room when I'm watching and says, "Daddy, do you want to watch Thomas with me?" Sometimes we flip back and forth. Lambeau is my Island of Sodor.

Deputy Nutz
09-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Bush was also in coverage on that horrible pass on third down and 13 that went for 27, and he gave up the touchdown to Buster Davis as well. He got thumped all over the field and not just by Gates.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Bush was also in coverage on that horrible pass on third down and 13 that went for 27, and he gave up the touchdown to Buster Davis as well. He got thumped all over the field and not just by Gates.

How do you expect to get your degree if you don't get schooled a little bit? :)

Scott Campbell
09-24-2007, 10:53 AM
"Daddy, do you want to watch Thomas with me?"

Joey Thomas got cut a long time ago.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2007, 11:02 AM

Does that make Mike Sherman "Sir Topham Hatt"? :lol:

woodbuck27
09-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Is it me, or is Driver improving on how well he has already played in the past. He's downright dangerous in the open field. If he was still a young buck, I'd like to see him fielding punts.

DD is such an amazing athlete and DAM tough.

That route and layed out catch for a TD blew me away.He is special and very well deserving of being recognized as on of the top 8-10 WR,s in the NFL.

Favre and DD really hook up well over the course of the schedule. Once Favre gets confidence in any WR he will soon put that WR in the limelight as a Packer weapon to thinkabout for any game plan Vs us.

Freak Out
09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
Winners - The Packers. Losers - The Chargers....I'm glad we played them early in the year. Favre was fantastic and the O-line did what they had to do to protect him...the run game was gravy. The D is just going to get better.

Scott Campbell
09-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Does that make Mike Sherman "Sir Topham Hatt"? :lol:

My kids are older. I don't know any of the characters.

Would Sir Topham Hatt punt on 4th and 1?

Fritz
09-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Add me to the list of losers this week. I started a thread earlier in the week which I titled something like "Why the Packers Will not Beat the Chargers."

At times like these, I love to be wrong. Hand me some crow there, Nutz, willya?

The Leaper
09-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Winner: NFL Network on 11/29...Packer/Dallas game looks like a great pick that the regular networks probably are really wishing they had on the schedule.

Loser: Sunday Night Football...the first three weeks of the 2007 season have provided numerous instant classics and fabulous finishes. All except for Sunday Night Football, that is. 3 weeks...3 pathetic blowout snoozers that had everyone going to bed early.

BallHawk
09-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Great article, Nutz.

I was at a bar for the game and it was absolutely dead. There were a good amount of people, but they were like zombies. Jennings scored and this Packer fan was like "That was a good pass" and he gave his friend a high five.

What? I was yelling and screaming and jumping up and down. Show some emotion. :D

Fritz
09-24-2007, 02:06 PM
I just saw - finally - the Jennings TD on YouTube. Man, Jennings is fast. That dude can scoot.

Lurker64
09-24-2007, 02:09 PM

I think Bush is getting semi-unfairly panned for that play. His coverage on the play was good, he didn't blow the assignment and he was right there on the receiver. The receiver simply made a good adjustment to the ball in the air and Bush didn't react well.

It wasn't a good play for Bush, but it's not like he was the epitome of incompetence on the part of Bush. If the receiver doesn't make a pretty good adjustment to the ball, it falls incomplete and the Chargers punt.

I'd give Bush's coverage a C+ on that play, personally.

Deputy Nutz
09-24-2007, 03:09 PM

I think Bush is getting semi-unfairly panned for that play. His coverage on the play was good, he didn't blow the assignment and he was right there on the receiver. The receiver simply made a good adjustment to the ball in the air and Bush didn't react well.

It wasn't a good play for Bush, but it's not like he was the epitome of incompetence on the part of Bush. If the receiver doesn't make a pretty good adjustment to the ball, it falls incomplete and the Chargers punt.

I'd give Bush's coverage a C+ on that play, personally.

Just because he was running down the field with him didn't mean he had good coverage. The ball was under thrown and instead of watching the receiver he ran past the play, when the receiver stopped to catch the ball maybe Bush should have thought, hey maybe I should stop running as well and look for the ball. He looked like a 7th grader out there on that play. Dazed and confused.

I don't mean to be too hard on the guy but I thought that was actually his worst play of the day.

Lurker64
09-24-2007, 03:15 PM
At the same time, I think we're being picky for blasting our nickelback for a play like that. In the dark Caroll years we would have worse plays from our starting CB and not even complain about it because it wasn't as bad as the previous couple times you heard Ahmad's name called.

For a bad play from a CB, it was a benign bad play.

Deputy Nutz
09-24-2007, 03:22 PM
At the same time, I think we're being picky for blasting our nickelback for a play like that. In the dark Caroll years we would have worse plays from our starting CB and not even complain about it because it wasn't as bad as the previous couple times you heard Ahmad's name called.

For a bad play from a CB, it was a benign bad play.

I am not comparing him to Carroll. Is he an upgrade over Carroll? Yes did he have some bad plays on Sunday, yes. He has been really good on special teams, but the fact is teams are always going to go after the nickel back, I was hoping he would have played better, but in the scheme of things everything worked out and plays were made when it counted.

Bush has made a remarkable contribution to this team considering where he came from, but the fact is he is going to have to battle Will Blackmon in the next few weeks for the nickle spot job. Blackmon is more athletic and has more coverage skills at this point.

Joemailman
09-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Add me to the list of losers this week. I started a thread earlier in the week which I titled something like "Why the Packers Will not Beat the Chargers."

At times like these, I love to be wrong. Hand me some crow there, Nutz, willya?

Here you go Fritz! :mrgreen: :glug: http://www.republicanvoices.org/eating_crow.jpg

Fritz
09-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Crow never tasted so good.

However, my nose isn't that big. But my hands are. Or is it my feet? I can never remember.

MJZiggy
09-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Nice try, sweet.

oregonpackfan
09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Crow never tasted so good.

Fritz, send your leftover hunk of crow out west. I was one of those naysayers who predicted a Chargers win. I will gladly chew and swallow it. :)

run pMc
09-24-2007, 06:38 PM
DD played out of his mind...that TD catch was awesome, and if you watch the youtube play (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqzlZb0ABsc), Jennings outruns everyone in the SD secondary by what looks like at least 5 yards. Good to see GJ back on the field.

Gates is a mismatch for DBs and LBs...I can't fault Bush for struggling there. He's young and he'll learn & develop. While it may not be saying much to consider him better than Carrol, it's nice to see we have some promise -- and competition with Blackmon waiting -- in the secondary.

Anyone else besides me consider Crosby a winner yesterday? He had 3 touchbacks, and all but one of his kickoffs was fielded in the endzone. I don't think Longwell ever did that.

run pMc
09-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I suppose I should eat some crow, too. I didn't think GB would pull out a W.
In this case, I'd rather eat crow for doubting than be proven right.

MadtownPacker
09-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Anyone else besides me consider Crosby a winner yesterday? He had 3 touchbacks, and all but one of his kickoffs was fielded in the endzone. I don't think Longwell ever did that.Yeah, he was booming the hell out of the ball. Doesnt even seem like he even kicks it hard either. Just walks up and BAM, endzone. He contribution is great IMO.

woodbuck27
09-25-2007, 09:22 AM
That is a great review for a great game.

I was at Lambeau and what an incredible scene it was there!! There were so many great moments in that well-played game (on both sides of the ball) it was unbelievable!

* Driver getting his head taken off.
* Driver coming back with a great diving touchdown catch on a beautiful pass from Favre.
* Gates' freaky-good performance, but between the 20's.
* Rivers' incredible accuracy and efficiency.
* Rivers' absolutely perfect touchdown pass to Jackson over great coverage by Harris.
* Donald Lee's great effort to reach the endzone, only to come up a few inches short.
* Favre's record-tying touchdown pass, and Jennings' run to the endzone - at a time when the Packers' needed it most.
* The great response by the crowd for Favre when the announcement of the record being tied.
* Barnett's great read and jump on the ball to seal the game.

There were kids being thrown around, hugs and kisses between total strangers and grown men were balling their eyes out in sheer joy - me being one of them.

It was the best game I can remember being at, and your fine piece of analysis and ability to capture the day in words tops it off.

Thanks Nutz.

By the way, I agree with everything you said - especially this as the key to the game.

The Bolts could not blitz as effectively due to the fact that the Packers consistently threatened with 5 receivers.
Obviously, the Packers barely even TRIED to run, but I think you also have to give the offensive coaching staff kudos for developing a great game plan and preparing the players to execute it well. The Chargers blitzing scheme was completely neutralized.

WOW ! WOW !! WOW !!

Congratulations Vince for being at that game.

It was as you describe. Loaded with great thrills.

What a special day for all Packer fans and a win. Favre and Driver and Jennings and Bubba. The hard hiting Packer defense and on and on . . .all just great after a sadly slow and disappointing off season in my view.

Much better ST's are helping us a ton but it's just one game at a time now.

GO PACK GO !!

FAVRE ONE TO FOUR TWENTY ONE.

vince
09-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Thanks Woody. It was a great thrill.