PDA

View Full Version : Morency

Bossman641
09-24-2007, 08:33 AM
All offseason long we heard the coaches, front office, and players talk about how they believed in this team. While many fans and the media criticized TT for his lack of moves and wondered how we would score any points, TT and MM continuously talked about growth from within. Whether they saw something specifically or just spoke the company line, thus far at least they have been proven correct.

At the same time we also heard coaches, noticeably Edgar Bennett, glowingly talk about Morency and how excited they were about him. If the coaches were right about one thing, could they also be right about Morency as well? I know the offensive line still has a ton of room to improve in the run game, but is it not at least possible that Morency could provide a huge lift to the run game and make the offense a lot more balanced?

Patler
09-24-2007, 08:38 AM
At this point you have to wonder if he can really ever be effective this season. He has been on the shelf for 8-9 weeks. Shanon Sharp (I think) made a comment yesterday that when you go into the season hurt as a player, you finish the season hurt as a player, and never really perform until the next season after having an off season to get better. That could apply to Morency.

Bossman641
09-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Don't all players play hurt during the season though. It certainly is strange that an injury that I believe originally was diagnosed at 4 weeks or so has taken this long to heal.

I just hope it doesn't nag him all year. I'd sit him the next 2 weeks since we'll probably have the same gameplan as this week. Might be smart just to sit him all the way through the bye week and hope he's completely healed up for the second half.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Well, I've read that this is the same injury that Abdul Hodge has had. Four weeks might have been optimistic. At this point, I'm afraid he may end up not contributing much. Hodge got the injury midway through last year, and he didn't recover by training camp. He's now on IR.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2007, 09:59 AM
I think someone else said they thought it would have been good to go ahead and put him on the PUP list from the get go. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess. Does that mean they can then carry an extra guy on the gameday roster and not have to carry Morency, but not IR him? What are the advantages or disadvantages to the PUP list?

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 10:12 AM
They would have been able to carry an extra guy on the roster, but not on the game day roster, so I don't see that it would have been a huge benefit.

Patler
09-24-2007, 10:17 AM
I think someone else said they thought it would have been good to go ahead and put him on the PUP list from the get go. Hindsight is 20/20, I guess. Does that mean they can then carry an extra guy on the gameday roster and not have to carry Morency, but not IR him? What are the advantages or disadvantages to the PUP list?

PUP is like a short-term injured reserve list. Players on the PUP list do not count against the roster. But they can not come back before 6 weeks, so if teams think a player might be ready in a week or two, they don't put them on PUP. After 6 weeks, they can practice with the team, for I believe two weeks, at which time the team must either release them, put them on the roster or put them on IR.

There are rules about whether a player is eligible for the PUP list. I believe they have to have come to training camp injured and unable to perform fully. Blackmon could have been put on the PUP list last year, because he broke his foot in minicamp. I'm not sure Morency could have been this year, because I believe the problem occurred the first couple days of camp. Maybe the first preseason game is the cutoff, I don't know for sure, but I know there are limitations.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 10:28 AM
I believe you are correct, Patler. I don't think Morency was even eligible for the PUP--since he started training camp healthy and then got injured (albeit on the first day).

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2007, 10:41 AM
I believe you are correct, Patler. I don't think Morency was even eligible for the PUP--since he started training camp healthy and then got injured (albeit on the first day).

nah. well, maybe i'm wrong, but I think ANYBODY can go on the PUP. Lots of guys injured in preseason go on the PUP.

The 6-week PUP is no great deal. They aren't allowed to practice with the team, I don't think they can even observe practice.

Deputy Nutz
09-24-2007, 10:47 AM
If Morency and the training staff can't figure it out by the time K-Rob is eligible to come off Double Secret Probation I think they will just IR Morency. I just don't think he can be effective in 2007.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2007, 11:08 AM
I think there is a decent chance he can be 100% in November.

By then, who knows, one of the three musketeers (mouseketeers?) may be injured.

I think it's worth a roster spot to wait on Mornency, at least for another month. The coaches projectd him to be their best back. ( Wait, Justin Harrell was also penciled-in as a starter! :?: )

Patler
09-24-2007, 11:13 AM
nah. well, maybe i'm wrong, but I think ANYBODY can go on the PUP. Lots of guys injured in preseason go on the

I know that was not the case in the past. Perhaps it changed with the last CBA, but you will have to show me an example of that before I can agree with you. Most of the guys that go on the PUP list are those who were injured the previous season, or had off-season surgery, and are not yet ready to return.

The PUP list isn't used all that often. If anyone is eligible for the PUP list, it would be used a lot more often than it is. There would be no reason to put anyone on IR at the start of the season, just put them all on PUP in case one or so could return. Make your decision half way through the season instead.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2007, 11:16 AM
SEE, I WAS RIGHT, AS USUAL:

A rule in the NFL which allows teams to designate players as "Physically Unable to Perform" or "PUP". Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster.

Patler
09-24-2007, 11:32 AM
SEE, I WAS RIGHT, AS USUAL:

A rule in the NFL which allows teams to designate players as "Physically Unable to Perform" or "PUP". Once they are designated as such, they are prohibited from practicing with the team. They can, however, rehabilitate and participate in team meetings. If a player begins training camp on the PUP list, they can be moved to the active roster at any time, even after one practice. A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster.

I hope you were kidding, Harlan. As the above shows, you have to come to camp injured to be "PUP eligible".

There are two PUP list time periods. A player on PUP in training camp can be activated at anytime during training camp. A player on PUP at the start of the season is not eligible for 6 weeks.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2007, 11:40 AM
ya, I was just trying to sneak that one by. :)