PDA

View Full Version : Donald Driver and the Hall of Fame--What will it take?

swede
09-24-2007, 11:18 AM
DD is well-known for being…well…not well-known.

At this point in his career he has 441 receptions, 6,194 yards, and 38 touchdowns. It is remarkable to me how he has been punished during his career and yet somehow survives to play at a high level. That hit by the San Diego defensive back's helmet was like being in a freaking car accident and he just picks himself up and catches two more TD's.

Michael Irvin, a player for whom I have little respect, was recently inducted into the Hall of Fame with about 750 receptions, just under 12,000 receiving yards, and 65 touchdowns.

If DD plays 3 more years he should have similar numbers in receptions and touchdowns. What else would this guy need to do to make a claim on the HOF?
Is it already out of reach given the rather slow start to his career, or will it take 3, 4, or even 5 years of DD-like #s to overcome the anonymity and impress sports journalists?

MadtownPacker
09-24-2007, 11:22 AM
A Superbowl ring would help. 8-)

The Leaper
09-24-2007, 12:22 PM
It will take either 1,000 catches or 12,500 career yards to make the HOF at WR going forward. Guys like Harrison, Moss and Owens are going to push the bar higher. You need a full decade of consistent production, not 4-5 years like Driver currently has.

IMO, he has no shot at Canton...he'll be in the Packer HOF, which is fine with me. Irvin doesn't belong in Canton either IMO.

PackerBlues
09-24-2007, 12:25 PM
First of all, he needs Favre to stick around for two more years, and secondly, he needs to stay healthy for the rest of his career, however long that may be.

Patler
09-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Realistically, as low key and unknown as he has been so far, he has no chance. Five years after he retires, unless he has set some records of some sort, most of the journalists will have forgotten him.