PDA

View Full Version : Packers running game

GoPackGo
09-24-2007, 11:57 AM
After watching 3 games now, I'd like to point out the obvious. WE CAN'T RUN THE FOOTBALL!
Yesterday on 3rd and 1 we pased the ball. We need to be able to run the ball on 3rd down. Our defense can't stay fresh and play well when our offense is passing this often. If McCarthy can fix this the sky is the limit for the Pack this year.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Yesterday, it wasn't so much that we couldn't as it was that we didn't even try it. You'll see the same thing this week. We had 9 rushes for 40 yards before Jackson's goalline attempts at the end.

The Leaper
09-24-2007, 12:18 PM
The threat of Favre's arm is going to open up the run game more in the weeks ahead. Teams can't keep 8 guys in the box anymore and hope to win with a revitalized Favre and Jennings back in the lineup.

I think the return of Morency will also help.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2007, 12:32 PM
The threat of Favre's arm is going to open up the run game more in the weeks ahead. Teams can't keep 8 guys in the box anymore and hope to win with a revitalized Favre and Jennings back in the lineup.

I think the return of Morency will also help.

As will the O-line coming together as a unit and being assignment sure (or zone sure).

pittstang5
09-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Yesterday, it wasn't so much that we couldn't as it was that we didn't even try it. You'll see the same thing this week. We had 9 rushes for 40 yards before Jackson's goalline attempts at the end.

YES...Totally!!!

I'd be more concerned if the Pack attempted to run 20 - 25 times and only got 40 yards. Sure, I'd love to see the Packers have a 100+ rushing game. But they were playing a team that is known for being great against the run. The PAtriots exploited the Chargers weakness, if they have one, and that is the secondary. I had hoped McCarthy would do the same and he did.

But in all honesty, when the Pack did run the ball yesterday, they ran ok.

Bretsky
09-24-2007, 01:41 PM
IMO the fact that we are not even trying is quite telling.

Same game plan IMO next week. Pass Pass Pass and run one out of every 4 or five plays. And win.

As long as it's the W at the end who cares at this point.

Fritz
09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
The name of this thread is an oxymoron.

GoPackGo
09-24-2007, 02:25 PM

you're an oxymoron

GoPackGo
09-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Wins are great but I don't think our defense should be on the field this much due to our lack of running the ball and clock management. We almost lost that game and the Eagles game.

Joemailman
09-24-2007, 02:47 PM
The Packers have been doing a good job of controlling the clock with the short passing game. San Diego only ran 6 more plays than the Packers yesterday. The time of possession was SD 32, GB 28. With the depth the Packers have on the DL, that discrepancy is not a big problem.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 02:54 PM
We actually have a time of possession advantage after 3 games.

Lurker64
09-24-2007, 03:05 PM
We had 9 rushes for 40 yards before Jackson's goalline attempts at the end.

9 rushes for 40 yards is pretty good actually, I'm not sure there are many teams that would be unhappy if after their first 9 rushing plays they had gained 40 yards.

I actually saw progress in the running game in the first half yesterday when we were still running the ball. The Packers were able to gash some of those inside runs for the kind of positive yardage that good teams do.

Realistically, we didn't run the ball yesterday because the game plan was not to. Last week, the Patriots (who killed the Chargers) ran 5 times in the first quarter for 15 yards, and 6 times in the second quarter for 26 yards (18 of which came during the 2 minute drill when the Chargers were not playing a run oriented defense, so after 9 carries the Patriots had only 23 yards rushing.) In the second half, holding a 24-0 lead the Patriots ran the ball more in order to just kill clock. The Patriots did not beat the Chargers by running the ball, instead they won by defense and passing, and the Packers were never in position to kill the clock by running with a lead until the very end of the game.

So why should anybody be concerned about the running game yesterday? The Patriots demonstrated last year against Minnesota that the trick to beating teams with fierce rushing defenses is to just not run the ball, line up and pass on every down, and you know what? It works.

GoPackGo
09-24-2007, 03:05 PM
We have to get the time of possesion #'s up if we are going to continue to be successful.

Patriots are good. Here's what they've done.
week 1 @ Jets 33-27 advantage Pats
week 2 vs. Chargers 35-25 advantage Pats
week 3 vs. Bills 34-26 advantage Pats

clearly the Pats dominate the clock with their offense, which allows thier defense to be fresh. this is what we need to continue winning. We could easily be 1-2 instead of 3-0.

BF4MVP
09-24-2007, 03:12 PM
If they were 0-3 and weren't movin the ball well, I would be worried..I have to believe the running game will eventually get going..Right now the passing game is working just fine.

The Leaper
09-24-2007, 03:18 PM

The Patriots have also been ahead by 14 points early in every game. That makes controlling time of possession far easier.

We don't have the talent across the board that NE has, so why make the comparison? The bottom line is that we are 3-0, regardless of time of possession or any other relevant or ridiculous measurement you can dig up.

GoPackGo
09-24-2007, 03:38 PM

The Patriots have also been ahead by 14 points early in every game. That makes controlling time of possession far easier.

We don't have the talent across the board that NE has, so why make the comparison? The bottom line is that we are 3-0, regardless of time of possession or any other relevant or ridiculous measurement you can dig up.

exactly, and how did the Pats get 14 up? by passing..we can do that well. We need to be able to run the ball with a lead. We were up 17-7, our passing attack stalled, and our defense was on the field to much. It nearly cost us the game.

HarveyWallbangers
09-24-2007, 04:23 PM
After we went up 17-7, San Diego scored on the next drive (the last drive of the first half) and then scored on the first drive in the second half. We didn't really get the opportunity there to eat up clock. By the time the offense got the ball back, we had to score again.

VanPackFan
09-24-2007, 04:59 PM
We may be 3-0 but I'm not prepared to put the Packers and Patriots in the same sentence just yet.

GLASS HALF FULL:
-the yards per carry average was better yesterday.
-the pass protection from the O-line is greatly improved, which would mean they're able to turn their attention to the run game.
-the passing attack is ripping defences apart. defences will have to adapt, opening up the running game.
-young running backs Jackson and Wynn can only get better as time goes on.

GLASS HALF EMPTY:
-the Packers only ran nine times and didn't run at all in a goal-to-go situation. game plan or not, that indicates a lack of confidence in the running game.
-young runnings backs Jackson and Wynn had better get better as time goes on, because I don't expect to see Morency back this season — and if he is back I don't expect him to be any more effective than what we've got. (Prove me wrong Vernand! Prove me wrong!).
-time's running short to get the run game sorted out. the weather's getting cooler and that means A) running is more important and B) running is tougher to do.
-the Chargers play the run well. so do the Vikings. and the Bears. that's an excuse that can be used almost every week. but at some point they've got to put it together regardless of the opponent.

Patler
09-24-2007, 05:06 PM
We may be 3-0 but I'm not prepared to put the Packers and Patriots in the same sentence just yet.

I am.
Absolutely.
Without a doubt.

"The Packers are not as good as the Patriots."

There you have it. The Packers and the Patriots in the same sentence! :twisted:

Joemailman
09-24-2007, 05:11 PM

You just did. :wink:

Fritz
09-24-2007, 05:15 PM

you're an oxymoron

You can do better than that!