Not much.

Yes.....and three wins in three games. I guess you can't please everyone. :lol:

Patler
09-24-2007, 02:54 PM
All running backs, rushing and receiving:

340 yards in 3 games.

Not much.

Actually, it neither pleases nor displeases me. Neither do wins or losses. I enjoy the games very much, but a win or loss has no more lasting impact on me than watching a good movie or a bad movie. Strictly entertainment to me.

I do however enjoy analyzing the what and why of the season. Its a great pastime.

rpiotr01
09-24-2007, 03:31 PM

340 yards in 3 games.

Not much.

Actually, it neither pleases nor displeases me. Neither do wins or losses. I enjoy the games very much, but a win or loss has no more lasting impact on me than watching a good movie or a bad movie. Strictly entertainment to me.

I do however enjoy analyzing the what and why of the season. Its a great pastime.

Really? Then why follow the Packers specifically, at least enough to post on a Packers forum? If you don't care if the team wins or loses, why latch onto one team more than another?

vince
09-24-2007, 03:42 PM
This isn't JUST about the Packers though, even though they feel their numerous errors in the running game are correctable. The opponent obviously has something to "say" about both performance and game planning.

Here are more stats to ponder so far in the early season:

Packer Opponents' Defenses
RED = Better than Average
BLUE = Worse than Average

................Rushing.................Passing
PHI.............71.7......................256.3
NYG............102.3....................266.3
SD..............88.7.....................249.3

MN..............67.3.....................243
CH..............92.7....................232.3
WSH............92......................217.3
DEN..............166....................88.3
KC...............113....................155.7
CAR.............95.3....................246.7
DET..............129.3..................278.7
DAL..............86.7....................250.3
OAK..............125.7.................256
STL...............152.3.................146

The league rushing average is 112.5 yds/game.
The league passing average is 219.4 yds/game.

For the rest of the season, the Packers play 7 better-than-average run defenses and just 3 better-than-average pass defenses. My money's on more of the same - Brett Favre continuing to have a big year - and the running backs - not so much.

Doesn't mean we can't be a playoff team though...

Patler
09-24-2007, 03:52 PM

340 yards in 3 games.

Not much.

Really? Then why follow the Packers specifically, at least enough to post on a Packers forum? If you don't care if the team wins or loses, why latch onto one team more than another?

I want them to win, but like I said it has no lasting impact on me if they do or don't win. I cheer for them during the game, but by the time it is done and I start doing something else the emotion of the game is gone. As I said, its like watching a movie to me. Something I enjoy at the time, and that's about it. I enjoy some actors more than others and some athletes more than others. Much is just familiarity with the players (actors).

I follow the Packers because I was born and raised in WI, and the information about them was more readily available to me. Why do I post here? Because I enjoy the analysis and discussion. I don't enjoy the emotional threads, and I tend to stay out of those, or participate analytically in them. I enjoy the historical analysis too.

How extreme is it? I thoroughly enjoy watching Favre play, but I really could not care any less if he retires or not. It does not affect me. If he retires, someone will play QB and I will watch.

Patler
09-24-2007, 03:55 PM
This isn't JUST about the Packers though, even though they feel their numerous errors in the running game are correctable. The opponent obviously has something to "say" about both performance and game planning.

For the rest of the season, the Packers play 7 better-than-average run defenses and just 3 better-than-average pass defenses. My money's on Brett Favre having a big year - and the running backs - not so much.

Good stuff. Did you compile that yourself?

rpiotr01
09-24-2007, 03:56 PM
I want them to win, but like I said it has no lasting impact on me if they do or don't win. I cheer for them during the game, but by the time it is done and I start doing something else the emotion of the game is gone. As I said, its like watching a movie to me. Something I enjoy at the time, and that's about it. I enjoy some actors more than others and some athletes more than others. Much is just familiarity with the players (actors).

I follow the Packers because I was born and raised in WI, and the information about them was more readily available to me. Why do I post here? Because I enjoy the analysis and discussion. I don't enjoy the emotional threads, and I tend to stay out of those, or participate analytically in them. I enjoy the historical analysis too.

How extreme is it? I thoroughly enjoy watching Favre play, but I really could not care any less if he retires or not. It does not affect me. If he retires, someone will play QB and I will watch.

That's cool, you're in the Cliff Christl mold. ;)

In the end I agree with you in one respect, it's not my life, and it is just a game. The outcome doesn't affect me - or anyone outside the organization really - one way or the other. Just interesting to get a different perspective on it.

vince
09-24-2007, 03:59 PM

For the rest of the season, the Packers play 7 better-than-average run defenses and just 3 better-than-average pass defenses. My money's on Brett Favre having a big year - and the running backs - not so much.

Yeah, selectively copied the data from nfl.com. I'm tryin' to keep up Patler!

Patler
09-24-2007, 04:05 PM

Yeah, selectively copied the data from nfl.com. I'm tryin' to keep up Patler!

The color coding was key! Great visual comparison that jumps out at you! :)

RashanGary
09-24-2007, 04:11 PM
There might be some chicken or the egg that plays into that, Vince. If we are not a good run team and don't run, they might look better at stopping the run than they really are becuase 33% of their games were against us. That is big enough to drastically skew the stat.

vince
09-24-2007, 04:18 PM
There might be some chicken or the egg that plays into that, Vince. If we are not a good run team and don't run, they might look better at stopping the run than they really are becuase 33% of their games were against us. That is big enough to drastically skew the stat.
Absolutely agree. These are definitely early trends, and specific opponents definitely play relatively heavily into everyone's stats thus far. That said, I'd say the trends are beginning to show though...

RashanGary
09-24-2007, 04:20 PM
The lineman themelves and how they play in the scheme might be an issue (size, experience, skill, ect. . . .)

The coaches might be the issue (coaching too many concepts for players to learn, coaching a good amount of concepts but coaching them poorly, not spending enough time coaching the concepts, not coaching enough concepts and being predictable, ect. . . )

The teams we are playing, how they plays us. How effective our pass game is would effect our run game. The score would effect it.

Ultimately it's a combination of little pieces of evidence weighed together. Hopefully over time we can disprove some ideas more than others but with no way to isolate variables, it's going to be forever grey.

I'm really at a loss. Since we're seeking the "what and why" here and not just sharing ideas, I'm curious of a couple things: what are the Packers doing and why isn't it working Patler? It sounds like you are getting close to the answer. Sorry for the sarcasm, but every time you say you're an answer seeker I can't help but think you think you have the answers (of which we never see) and from there I can't help but think you are a little arrogant.

vince
09-24-2007, 04:49 PM
what are the Packers doing and why isn't it working Patler?
I believe it's the following, in order.

1. mental errors by the offensive line,
2. linemen not executing the fundamentals in cutting backside pursuit,
3. inexperience - by Jackson mostly - in reading and hitting the hole when and where it opens,
4. mano-a-mano - getting it done or not stretching the frontside
5. game planning and play calling...only the Lions have fewer rushing attempts per game than the Packers.

RashanGary
09-24-2007, 04:55 PM
That looks like a well thought, reasonable post. I'm sure I could offer up about 20 other reasons off the top of my head, but you did better than I could have done for a top 5.

If there is some edgeyness in my tone, I just got back from having a little run in with my statics professor (it's like physics, dealing with forces but tougher) where he knocked me down for how I got to an anwer.

I said I had a couple little issues and then said why. He said "didn't you read the directions that said to draw a force diagram and then write your equations.

I said "can't you read the answers?"

He got pretty pissed. I should probably just let it die and move on, but it's sort of bothering the piss out of me right now.

Patler
09-24-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm really at a loss. Since we're seeking the "what and why" here and not just sharing ideas, I'm curious of a couple things: what are the Packers doing and why isn't it working Patler? It sounds like you are getting close to the answer. Sorry for the sarcasm, but every time you say you're an answer seeker I can't help but think you think you have the answers (of which we never see) and from there I can't help but think you are a little arrogant.

Huh? If I had the answers I would be coaching!

You wrote, "I can't help but think you think you have the answers (of which we never see) " I didn't realize I came across as not expressing an opinion. Perhaps you should consult Packnut! He seems to view me differently!

Patler
09-24-2007, 05:03 PM
I said I had a couple little issues and then said why. He said "didn't you read the directions that said to draw a force diagram and then write your equations.

I said "can't you read the answers?"

He got pretty pissed. I should probably just let it die and move on, but it's sort of bothering the piss out of me right now.

Not a good response. You are not equals. He holds your grade in his hand. Better to be his friend than his enemy, no matter how you feel about him!

RashanGary
09-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the info. You are right. I acctually like him but I'm a bit of a social retard. It had far less to do with me acctually wanting to start something and far more to do with me not even realizing I was doing it.

Whta I need to do is start a buisness of my own where I don't have to answer to anyone or just focus on fitting in a little better.

Ah well, such is life.

Thanks for the info though. I asked a bunch of peopel if they thought it was out of line. Most said NO, it was funny but one guys said "yeah, you should have just said that you got the asnwer a different way istead of snapping back" I preferred the one answer that showed I was in the wrong. The others were probably just trying to say what I wanted to hear.

Oh well, all I can do is do it better next time and if I sound serine about this, its' because I'm just telling myself that and it's eating at me :)

Ok, really this time, I'm going to forget about it and show respect the next time. . . haha

Patler
09-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Whta I need to do is start a buisness of my own where I don't have to answer to anyone or just focus on fitting in a little better.

You always answer to someone, if not a boss, then to a client, a customer or a supplier of your business. Believe me, some clients/customers/suppliers can be worse than a boss.

MJZiggy
09-24-2007, 06:00 PM

You always answer to someone, if not a boss, then to a client, a customer or a supplier of your business. Believe me, some clients/customers/suppliers can be worse than a boss.

Amen. The boss can be a beast, but realizes that they have to work with you. Cleints do not have to work with you and can get as ugly as they feel like.

Zool
09-25-2007, 07:50 AM
The Broncos have really let up 88 passing yards per game. Amazing.

Granted it was against Buffalo, Oakland and Jacksonville but still.