PDA

View Full Version : McCarthy's comment on the 4th and 1 call

Patler
09-24-2007, 02:32 PM
From the GBPG blog:

"If you can go empty backfield all day and it's successful, I mean, I really don't understand the criticism of doing it at that particular time, especially fourth-and-1," McCarthy said. "Actually seeing the play, I'm still very comfortable with the call.

"I haven't seen Brett (Favre) yet, and I don't know if he's watched the film, but he'll be disappointed when he sees the play."

McCarthy wouldn't say directly that Favre threw to the wrong receiver but reiterated the outside receivers were isolated 1-on-1. Favre tried to thread the ball to tight end Bubba Franks in the middle and it fell incomplete.

McCarthy also said he didn't consider kicking a field goal in that situation."

packers11
09-24-2007, 02:34 PM
I was SO PISSED OFF, it was deja vu for me as we were 1st and goal on the Buffalo 1...

You need a RB back there to TRY and disguise what you are doing...

pittstang5
09-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I was pissed too when I saw an empty backfield. Even more pissed when I saw Favre step back to throw. I thought maybe he'd sneak it in.

swede
09-24-2007, 03:16 PM
An example of being so smart that you forget that the situation was 4th and 1 at the goal to win. You are really being a little overanalytical to stuff that down, distance, and situation data into your skull and come up with an empty backfield as the appropriate formation.

Brett has hardly ever performed the QB sneak that I recall. Either he doesn't care to do it or his OC's and HC's haven't wanted him to do it.

i was calling for a sneak. Get Bart Starr on the phone. He'll explain how it's done.

Packnut
09-24-2007, 04:01 PM
IF your gonna pass near the GL, play action is the way to go. The empty backfield was just plain dumb.

Patler
09-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Interesting comment from MM though, the Favre "will be disappointed." Sounds as if the TD was there if he had looked to a different receiver.

ND72
09-24-2007, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the people all the way across the stadium heard me yell "WHAT THE F - U - C - K ARE YOU DOING?"

MJZiggy
09-24-2007, 04:13 PM
That was YOU??? :shock:

mission
09-24-2007, 04:17 PM
That was YOU??? :shock:

... and about 500 Packer fans at TJ's Sports Bar in Roswell, GA.

i was so :shock: :shock: :shock:

Brohm
09-24-2007, 05:22 PM
I hear whatr MM was saying on that. Brett took the snap and launched it right away, never looking anywhere else. I would have preferred a run :shock: but if it was there, it was there.

But hey we won anyways :D

OS PA
09-24-2007, 05:28 PM
I hear whatr MM was saying on that. Brett took the snap and launched it right away, never looking anywhere else. I would have preferred a run :shock: but if it was there, it was there.

But hey we won anyways :D

Bubba was open, but if Brett would have pumped it he would no longer have been open, because there was a safety creeping up on him. If Brett had been able to thread that ball through the lineman's arms we would have been praising the play call, but all in all... we won.

Joemailman
09-24-2007, 05:30 PM
On a somewhat related note, McCarthy has said he regrets not challenging after JJ's catch:

Regrets, I've had a few: Speaking of that botched series, James Jones was ruled down at the 1-yard line after a 5-yard gain, even though he was half in the end zone. Apparently it was his wrong half, but McCarthy didn't throw the red flag.

"If I would have it to do all over again I would have challenged James Jones," McCarthy said. "That's the one I wish I would changed my mind on, whether he was in or not. You've got to give your football team an opportunity to win the game. That was a play that could have changed the outcome of the game."

b bulldog
09-24-2007, 06:02 PM
That was a shermanesque call :x

3irty1
09-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I think we were all shocked. I'm certain that even our running game could have pounded it 6 inches. I thought Favre was going to sneak it or something.... That's how you know you've been playing too much Madden.

Harlan Huckleby
09-24-2007, 06:56 PM
The Chargers have a tough run defense, especially at tackle. They weren't gonna pound it in, even with Vince Lombardi calling the play.

cheesner
09-24-2007, 07:20 PM
I think we were all shocked. I'm certain that even our running game could have pounded it 6 inches. I thought Favre was going to sneak it or something.... That's how you know you've been playing too much Madden.
Just leaving a RB in the back field would have at least given the impression of a run. That would have freed up a bit of the endzone so a WR had more chance to get open. But then again, it may not have changed much as SD had to be concerned about a QB sneak. I bet we see the same play again this season and Brett sneaks it in.

Kiwon
09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
That was a shermanesque call :x

Ha! The Shermanesque call on the goal line is the "shuttle" pass.

Either that or the "U-71" formation.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2007, 09:30 PM
How about play action to try and sell run to at least get them to change their formation? I realize that still doesn't keep Favre from throwing a pass into traffic to Bubba, but maybe play action changes what the defense does and creates a 1 on 1 somewhere else. Is that too simplistic?

SkinBasket
09-24-2007, 09:33 PM
All it would have taken was the bootleg. The bootleg is impossible to stop from 1 yard out. Impossible!

Of course, it would have required an RB in the backfield, which apparently was not an option for the big MM.

cpk1994
09-25-2007, 09:20 AM
That was a shermanesque call :x With one exception, he didn't blame the referees for his blunder and then wait 3 days until finally accepting reponsibility. Just another reason why M3 > M2.

PackerBlues
09-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Just leaving a RB in the back field would have at least given the impression of a run. That would have freed up a bit of the endzone so a WR had more chance to get open.

I agree 100%

Hearing this --------->
"If you can go empty backfield all day and it's successful, I mean, I really don't understand the criticism of doing it at that particular time, especially fourth-and-1," McCarthy said. "Actually seeing the play, I'm still very comfortable with the call. ............ :whaa: Worries me.

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2007, 11:26 AM
I agree, but I hope McCarthy learned his lesson.