PDA

View Full Version : bad stuff about GB WR's, season may hinge on Jennings

motife
05-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Jennings battles the odds

Greg Jennings By: Doug Ritchay
, dritchay@sbcglobal.net
Date: May 5, 2006

Packers depending on rookie to contribute in 2006, but history says it will be a challenge

When the Green Bay Packers traded wide receiver Javon Walker to Denver it officially left a huge void in the Packers’ passing game – who’s the big-time playmaker?
Some may say Donald Driver, but the veteran is a quality No. 2 receiver, who in a pinch can be No. 1 (for a short time). However, Driver, who’ll enter 2006 as the Packers’ go-to guy, isn’t Walker (when healthy), Steve Smith, Randy Moss, Tory Holt, Terrell Owens or even Joe Horn.

With that in mind, what will the Packers’ passing game look like? Nobody knows for sure, but the Packers took a step in trying to make up for Walker’s loss in the second round of the NFL draft by selecting Western Michigan wide receiver Greg Jennings, who some teams rated as the No. 2 receiver in the draft behind Ohio State’s Santonio Holmes.

Jennings led the nation last season, averaging 8.91 catches per game and was second in yards, 114.45 per game. Impressive numbers, but most point out that came against the likes of Ball State, Miami (Ohio), Central Michigan and others in the Mid-American Conference.

If these numbers came in the Big Ten or ACC, then we’d be talking about a first-round gem. Instead, Jennings will have to prove he’s a diamond in the rough, capable of helping the Packers this season. Is this realistic?

Packers history tells us no.

The last three wide receivers selected in the second round by the Packers were Terrence Murphy (2005), Robert Ferguson (2001) and Derrick Mayes (1996).

Murphy was released this off-season after sustaining a spinal injury last season, which has at least put his career on hold if not on ice. Prior to that, Murphy was a spot player and caught three passes.

Ferguson has been an underachiever, who in his rookie season barely played after showing a work ethic comparable to a corpse. He had no catches as a rookie.

Mayes had great hands (all you had to do was ask him), but he had six catches as a rookie as the Packers won the Super Bowl.

This doesn’t mean Jennings is destined to have a quiet rookie season, but it shows how difficult it is for a rookie to make an impact as a wide receiver. What Jennings has going for him is the Packers desperately need him to play like he did in college.

The Packers’ receiving corps outside of Driver is a joke. Rod Gardner is a former No. 1 pick, who has seen two teams (Washington and Carolina) give up on him. Marc Boerigter is a possession receiver, which is a nice was of saying he has no speed. And Ferguson will get hurt. It’s as automatic as Brett Favre starting at quarterback. Jennings has everything in his favor, except that he’s a rookie.

Assuming Jennings comes along slowly in the passing game, let’s go back to the original question of this column: what will the passing game look like?

Without a true deep threat, or go-to guy, Favre might be able to get away with throwing passes with the arm strength of a Danny Wuerffel, who couldn’t throw a football through a wet paper sack in his hey day.

The passing game will likely be one of slants, flat passes to running backs and seam passes to tight ends. The “home-run” ball Favre likes to throw (too much sometimes) might be as ancient as Barry Bonds’ head size dipping below a 9. Receivers will have to gain yards after the catch, which isn’t always easy. Jennings, though, has that skill.

“I take a lot of pride in my route running and also running after the catch and being a playmaker,” Jennings said. “That was one of the things Brett needed last year, and hopefully I can and will be able to give it to him.”

If Jennings can’t infuse some spark, this is a concern, because if the Packers can’t force the defense to respect passing plays beyond 20 yards, the defense will gang up on receivers, bump them, having no fear of getting beat deep. Also, the running backs will see a lot of safeties creep up near the line of scrimmage to make plays. Jennings was productive in college, recording three straight 1,000-yard seasons, but being productive in college is one thing, making it happen in the NFL is completely different. All Jennings has to do is look at Gardner as an example.

Be that as it may, Jennings has a chance maybe no other rookie wide receiver has this season - he has a chance to become a focal point of his team’s passing game. History says he won’t do it, but the Packers need him

lynn dickey
05-05-2006, 08:30 PM
All that means we're due to finally hit on one of these second round WRs. Let's hope this is the guy.

MadtownPacker
05-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Didnt Jennings lead or was in the top of the NCAA in yards per catch?

gbpackfan
05-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Favre has played with worse and made them look like pro bowlers. I think we will be fine. However, I would like to see GB look for a nice O weapon via trade or the waiver wire. You never know who is going to get cut!

RashanGary
05-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Havel said Jennings looked really impressive at day one of the minicamp. The offense will start out pretty basic because it is new for everyone including Ferguson. I think Jennings stands a chance to have a pretty big impact.

GrnBay007
05-05-2006, 10:32 PM
I'd just feel better if they added an experienced WR to the group. What if one of them would go down the first game of the season like Walker did last year. I don't want to name any names and jinx a certain player......u know?

swede
05-05-2006, 11:08 PM
It has been exciting to hear that Jennings seems to belong on the field already, showing skill and athleticism on his first day.

This year on offense we will see grind-it-out West Coast with dink and dunk passing, hard-nosed running by Samkon and Ahman, and the occasional long gain. Control the clock, move the sticks, and score 14 points a game.

Let the new defense give up 13 or less and we win.

Can you feel the brand new day, baby?

Tarlam!
05-06-2006, 03:14 AM
There is plenty of experience on the WR roster. DD, Gardner and Boerigter are all vets that can be "go-to" guys. I predict Fergie will either blossum in training camp, or he will be cut.

TT will save roster space for the eventuality, because he would rather invest in the future with a rookie than with a bust.

We also have a TE that can split open the defense in Donald Lee. We are also said to be going short pass West Coast.

So, for this offense, we have the guys on the roster that we need.

Now, my last argument: TT SAID JENNINGS WAS THE CREAM OF THE CROP AT THE COMBINE OR SENIOR BOWL (can't remember which one). He said Jennings was the WR he wanted goning into the draft.

That's good enough for me.

Bretsky
05-06-2006, 04:35 AM
There is plenty of experience on the WR roster. DD, Gardner and Boerigter are all vets that can be "go-to" guys. I predict Fergie will either blossum in training camp, or he will be cut.

TT will save roster space for the eventuality, because he would rather invest in the future with a rookie than with a bust.

We also have a TE that can split open the defense in Donald Lee. We are also said to be going short pass West Coast.

So, for this offense, we have the guys on the roster that we need.

Now, my last argument: TT SAID JENNINGS WAS THE CREAM OF THE CROP AT THE COMBINE OR SENIOR BOWL (can't remember which one). He said Jennings was the WR he wanted goning into the draft.

That's good enough for me.

Tarlem,

I really think DD is the only starting caliber WR we have. Gardner was pretty much let go by two teams now; my view is he'll be a fine #3 but that could be optomistic over the long haul. Boerighter is a #4 IMO.

Ferguson is a fraud. He reminds me of David Martin. He has ability and teases us with 1-2 plays and everybody jumps on his train and then he turns into potential unrealized once again.

Tarlam!
05-06-2006, 06:44 AM
B, I agree, but, with a caveat.

You're speaking of guys let go cause they failed to blossom - that's where I agree. Now, they will get a chance to blossom - like Harris for example, who was only a backup in Philly. I bet some players come to Lambeau and are transformed. My hope is this is the case with Gardener and Boerigter.

I have no hope for Fergie, but without Walker around, maybe he can rise to the occasion.

mraynrand
05-06-2006, 09:23 AM
The optimistic view of the receivers is:

1) Gardner - has all the physical tools. Mental readjustment and good teaching environment could lead to break-out season

2) Boerigter - possession receiver in the Keyshawn Johnson Jurevicius mold

3) Jennings - a Johnny Morton or better kind of receiver in rookie year

4) Driver - solid, solid, solid. Don't get hurt.

4) TEs - serviceable only (that's optimistic)

5) Wild Card - the running backs catching out of the backfield. We know Henderson and Green can be relied on, but will Green be healthy? Can Samkon catch the ball? We know Najeh can't catch and run. Is the screen play dead in the new offense? Who invented liquid soap and why?

Scott Campbell
05-06-2006, 09:32 AM
The optimistic view of the receivers is:

How bout a June 1 cap casualty?

MadtownPacker
05-06-2006, 10:56 AM
This year on offense we will see grind-it-out West Coast with dink and dunk passing, hard-nosed running by Samkon and Ahman, and the occasional long gain. Control the clock, move the sticks, and score 14 points a game.

Let the new defense give up 13 or less and we win.

I agree with everything you said except the O is gonna average more like 20 something a game. It will just come on long possessions, which is very good.

M3 systems is very QB friendly (it got A Brooks to the ProBowl) with all the short passes and I think the scoring droughts that would come under Sherman will not happen cuz the O will be in a rhythm all game. Something that always seemed to be a problem the last couple of years. This will also help avoid the desperation heaves by Favre. I see nothing but good things happening on O if the WRs can develop fast.

mraynrand
05-06-2006, 11:15 AM
If the new defense allows 13 points a game, the Packers would win 14 games. A defense that strong also generates great field position and gets you easy points. I don't think that's realistic given the roster and the recent history of scoring in the NFL. It's also unrealistic to think that the Packer offense will only manage 14 points a game.

RashanGary
05-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Chicago gave up 13 per game last year. But yeah, I doubt we'll be that good with just the addtion of Hawk, Woodson, Manuel, Pickett and the growth of many of our young players.

Badgepack
05-06-2006, 11:21 AM
I thought TT would have signed a college power foward like many teams are doing. No worse than most undrafted signings.

lynn dickey
05-06-2006, 11:25 AM
3) Jennings - a Johnny Morton or better kind of receiver in rookie year

Is this supposed to be a positive? God help us if he turns into Johnny Morton.

MadtownPacker
05-06-2006, 11:31 AM
I thought TT would have signed a college power foward like many teams are doing. No worse than most undrafted signings.Thats what Im wondering too. But maybe Lee showed enough to make the coaches feel he is that TE. He did show great hands and the abilty to get down the field.

Tarlam!
05-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Who invented liquid soap and why?

I don't know who invented it, but, Unilever (a procter and gamble competitor based in the UK) marketed it very successfully. Liquid soaps were probably first invented for two reason:

the old soap in bars strpped the skin of natural oils. These oils a vital in protecting the skin, especially during chemical changes affewcted by temperature. The manufacturs were able to successfully lace liquid soaps with skin conditioning substances, thus, a lot of workers compensation was saved (think hairdressers, people who prepare food). Liquid soap greatly reduced dermatitis.

Secondly, it is a great way to make money. A bar of soap last what seems like forever. Liquid soap dispensors are always needing refilling.

Oh, I get it - that question was actually sarcasm! I am such a dork!! :cool:

Harlan Huckleby
05-06-2006, 01:08 PM
I think the Packers have one of the weakest recieving groups in the NFL. Those of you who said losing Walker was no big deal got your head in the sand.

If Jennings has some speed, that will help. I wanted the Packers to keep their high #2 pick and take Chad Jackson just 'cause the guy can get downfield. (We'll see how he does with N.E.) Hell, even a Corey Bradford type player would help keep the defenses honest.

mraynrand
05-06-2006, 01:41 PM
"3) Jennings - a Johnny Morton or better kind of receiver in rookie year

Is this supposed to be a positive? God help us if he turns into Johnny Morton."

---

I agree. But given what I've read about his skill set, I think it would be a good outcome if this guy could play, in his rookie year, like Johnny Morton in his best years. When I saw Jennings play, he also reminded me of David Givens. But that's just me, and I'm not an NFL scout!

FritzDontBlitz
05-06-2006, 03:11 PM
When the Green Bay Packers traded wide receiver Javon Walker to Denver it officially left a huge void in the Packers’ passing game – who’s the big-time playmaker?

i would like to correct that.

when javon blew out his knee in the first game of 2005 it left a huge void in green bay's passing game.

i seem to be in the minority about this, but i don't see javon being more than mediocre at best in 2006. if he returns to form it probably won't be until at least 2007.

it also won't surprise me one bit if javon's emotional instability creates strife in denver as well.

Scott Campbell
05-06-2006, 03:17 PM
it also won't surprise me one bit if javon's emotional instability creates strife in denver as well.

I think Javon will be a good little Bronco once they show him the money. Though there is some risk inolved with him coming back from the injury. The Broncos better hope they're lucky.

Guiness
05-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Who invented liquid soap and why?

I don't know who invented it, but, Unilever (a procter and gamble competitor based in the UK) marketed it very successfully. Liquid soaps were probably first invented for two reason:

the old soap in bars strpped the skin of natural oils. These oils a vital in protecting the skin, especially during chemical changes affewcted by temperature. The manufacturs were able to successfully lace liquid soaps with skin conditioning substances, thus, a lot of workers compensation was saved (think hairdressers, people who prepare food). Liquid soap greatly reduced dermatitis.

Secondly, it is a great way to make money. A bar of soap last what seems like forever. Liquid soap dispensors are always needing refilling.

Actually, Unilever there's a lot more to Uniliver than that!

They're a huge multi-national, with likely more than hundreds of brands across the food, healthcare, household and beauty markets. They're the people who brought you Vaseline and Slim Fast!

They had net profit of almost 4 billion Euros in '05, and

Oh, I get it - that question was actually sarcasm! I am such a dork!! :cool:

Oh. Never mind.

Packers4Ever
05-06-2006, 11:26 PM
I thought TT would have signed a college power foward like many teams are doing. No worse than most undrafted signings.

Welcome, Badgepack ! This is a great Forum filled with many
knowledgeable posters, some have the advantage of having watched
the Packers for many years. You'll enjoy it here... :smile:

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2006, 11:31 PM
I think the Packers have one of the weakest recieving groups in the NFL.

And it's quite possibly the best in the division.

Green Bay - Driver, Gardner, Ferguson, Jennings, Boerigter, Rodgers
Minnesota - K. Robinson, Taylor, Williamson, M. Robinson, Hosack
Detroit - R. Williams, Vines, M. Williams, Bradford, Rogers?
Chicago - Muhammad, Bradley, Gage, Bernard

Driver is the best receiver in the division. None of the teams have a legit #2 receiver. They all have some depth (except Chicago), but nothing to get excited about.

Sad!

Patler
05-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Rod Gardner could be the key to the whole receiver situation. He is certainly capable of being a credible starter, In four seasons at Washington his receptions/yardage were:

46/741
71/1006
59/600
51/650

Gardner was sort of a combined salary cap/bad fit casualty in Washington. Gibbs didn't like either Gardner or Coles in his offense, so traded both of them. Plus Gardner would have made $2 million in Washington, which Washington needed under their cap. I'm not sure why he struggled in Carolina.

jack's smirking revenge
05-06-2006, 11:59 PM
People can write doom and gloom about this receiving corps, but I think they're going to be solid this year. I think Gardner will have a Galloway-like rebirth in GB. I thought that dude was done and he just decided to show up last year. There's no reason to think that Gardner can't do the same--he had some good years in Washington (I remember him being on fire when he was a rook as I had him on my fantasy team). Boerigter is a question mark. Who knows? But I LOVE what I'm hearing about Jennings. It's been a long time since a Packer coaching staff was so complimentary about a rookie WR. I'm geniunely excited to see him play.

I really do think people are writing us off too early. To me, this team looks like the Pats from years ago--brought in a ton of underappreciated, under the radar free agents and drafted soundly. Nobody would've guessed a 6th round pick named Tom Brady would lead that team to the promised land, but he did. TT is filling last year's holes with football players, not NFLE scrubs (though it looks like some of our NFLE crowd could turn out nice too).

People can undervalue our WRs, but I sense that there's far more talent on this team than most outside this circle recognize. Score three or four more points in 5 games last year and we would've been 9-7.

tyler

Patler
05-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Boerigter is also intriguing to me, although I am NOT counting on him for anything. Someone suggested he is a possession type receiver. I disagree. He has speed and was dangerous because of his big-play potential when he was healthy. In 2002 he has 8 TDs on 20 recptions. These were not Bubba Franks type TDs. He averaged 21 yards per recpetion, with 6 of his 20 receptions being for 20 yards or more.

Tarlam!
05-07-2006, 06:21 AM
Actually, Unilever there's a lot more to Uniliver than that!

They're a huge multi-national, with likely more than hundreds of brands across the food, healthcare, household and beauty markets.

Thanks Guiness, but I know. I start working for them (again) June 1st....Most Yanks don't have a clue who they are, though...

Tarlam!
05-07-2006, 06:27 AM
And it's quite possibly the best in the division.

(...)Driver is the best receiver in the division. None of the teams have a legit #2 receiver.

Harvey, this is great research and gives me a tonne of hope, indeed! Thanks.

How do our WR's compare in your opinion to the CB's we will face this year - that's more of an indication of chances of success.

We I see our DB's, I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I line them up against the WR's you listed....

Bretsky
05-07-2006, 10:28 AM

i would like to correct that.

when javon blew out his knee in the first game of 2005 it left a huge void in green bay's passing game.

i seem to be in the minority about this, but i don't see javon being more than mediocre at best in 2006. if he returns to form it probably won't be until at least 2007.

Fritz,

From a person who has went through the recovery period from a torn ACL, I would second your thoughts. I figured he'll be decent in 2006 and return to star status in 2007 when his knee is fully recovered.

mraynrand
05-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Boerigter is also intriguing to me, although I am NOT counting on him for anything. Someone suggested he is a possession type receiver. I disagree. He has speed and was dangerous because of his big-play potential when he was healthy. In 2002 he has 8 TDs on 20 recptions. These were not Bubba Franks type TDs. He averaged 21 yards per recpetion, with 6 of his 20 receptions being for 20 yards or more.

-------
I think I lumped him in the Keyshawn/Jurevicius category. You're right about big plays from Boerigter. He had TDs of 44, 51, and 99 yards in 2002. He was feast or famine with 100 plus yard games (only against San Diego) and games where he'd disappear with no receptions.

Probably the easiest conclusion about the guy is that there aren't enough data points to really know what he'll offer. But it would be gravy if he still has speed following his injuries and can stretch the field.

Patler
05-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Probably the easiest conclusion about the guy is that there aren't enough data points to really know what he'll offer. But it would be gravy if he still has speed following his injuries and can stretch the field.

I agree completely, which is what makes him very interesting, but not a player to count on. If he turns out to be a contributer, so much the better. If not, it was worth a shot, anyway.

Harlan Huckleby
05-07-2006, 03:29 PM
I figured he'll be decent in 2006 and return to star status in 2007 when his knee is fully recovered.

I think this is right.

But I've been thinking about the level of risk Denver is taking with Walker: it's no different than laying out big bucks for a first round draft choice. The chances of a Walker recovering fully from his injuries in a year are probably at least as good as a first round draft pick becoming a star in a year. And Walker will be a star if he recovers.

I think Denver probably did well for themselves. Packers made best of bad situation.

Patler
05-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Denver's financial risk based on Walker's new contract is similar to a fairly high first round draft choice. It's less risky because he has already proven he can play at a high level. It is more risky because he is "damaged goods" and his "useful life" as a player is much shorter at his age.

As I recall, the articles indicated Walker had no cartilage damage or other trauma to the knee. Pro athletes recover very well from "simple" ACL repairs. Absent another injury, Walker should be fine, even this season. It will be 12 months already at the start of the season.

HarveyWallbangers
05-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Denver's financial risk based on Walker's new contract is similar to a fairly high first round draft choice. It's less risky because he has already proven he can play at a high level. It is more risky because he is "damaged goods" and his "useful life" as a player is much shorter at his age.

As I recall, the articles indicated Walker had no cartilage damage or other trauma to the knee. Pro athletes recover very well from "simple" ACL repairs. Absent another injury, Walker should be fine, even this season. It will be 12 months already at the start of the season.

Agreed, but the financial risk is similar to a REALLY high first round pick--not just a FAIRLY high.

Bretsky
05-07-2006, 04:34 PM

There aren't many athletes that excel the first year back from an ACL tear.
The ACL rehab is much harder than cartiledge issues. My therapist said best case for me was full recovery in six months; then when I expressed frustration she was honest in saying most take 12-18 months before they hit 100%. And that last 10% is tough to get through.

The two best examples I have to refer to are Lee Evans and Willis McGahee.
Both didn't really hit full stride until their second year back from football. With Evans it seemed a bit sooner, but he was injured early spring in August or so and then didn't play any real good Big 10 Competition til October. But he still worked through soreness/stiffness the year he came back. I'm sure Walker will be decent this year, but it'd be a rarity if he doens't have to work through a lot of soreness and pain. Most likely he won't excel til the year after next.

Patler
05-07-2006, 07:42 PM
The difference between what you experienced and what Walker will experience could be vast. I don't know you Bretsky, so maybe I'm wrong, but there is a remote possibility that Walker was in better physical condition than you before his injury, probably rehabs more effectively than you did, and has the absolute best facilities, daily consultations, treatments, specialized care, etc all geared toward the quickest and best receovery possible. He has had nothing to do since September except work toward his recovery.

Walker will be a full 12 months past his injury when the season starts. The worst will be long over.

Hope I haven't insulted you Bretsky! :D

Rastak
05-07-2006, 08:05 PM
The difference between what you experienced and what Walker will experience could be vast. I don't know you Bretsky, so maybe I'm wrong, but there is a remote possibility that Walker was in better physical condition than you before his injury, probably rehabs more effectively than you did, and has the absolute best facilities, daily consultations, treatments, specialized care, etc all geared toward the quickest and best receovery possible. He has had nothing to do since September except work toward his recovery.

Walker will be a full 12 months past his injury when the season starts. The worst will be long over.

Hope I haven't insulted you Bretsky! :D

Oh I doubt it :wink: ....I agree with you also.....it's far different when you and I rehab compared with a multi-million dollar asset whose entire job is to rehab.

Anyway, I guess we'll see soon enough.

Guiness
05-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Oh I doubt it :wink: ....I agree with you also.....it's far different when you and I rehab compared with a multi-million dollar asset whose entire job is to rehab.

And, of course, no banned substances that clear the system within 12 months were used during that period of time!

Patler
05-07-2006, 09:26 PM

And, of course, no banned substances that clear the system within 12 months were used during that period of time!

Interesting thought! But those substances probably are not banned when part of a doctor-prescribed therapy for injury recovery!

Bretsky
05-07-2006, 10:28 PM

Interesting thought! But those substances probably are not banned when part of a doctor-prescribed therapy for injury recovery!

True, I didn't get any banned substances :)

But I'll still defer to looking at Lee Evans and Willis McGahee. Evans is probably the better comparison since he just tore his ACL. He sat out an entire year and was still not 100% as a senior at UW-Madison.