PDA

View Full Version : "End of an Error"?? (Grossman may be benched)

motife
09-24-2007, 08:28 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/571736,CST-SPT-bear24.article#
The possible end of an error
Rex's dreadful performance against Cowboys might force Bears to make move to Griese

September 24, 2007
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com
The NFC offensive player of the month last September might not make it out of the month this year.

Facing the most critical start of his career, Rex Grossman failed miserably, and the ''Griese!'' chants at Soldier Field on Sunday night surely will reverberate through Halas Hall all week.

Bears quarterback Rex Grossman completed only 15 of 32 passes for 195 yards. He threw three interceptions and had no touchdown passes against the Cowboys.

NUMBERS GAME 27.5: Rex Grossman’s passer rating: 15-for-32 for 195 yards, 3 INTs and 0 TDs. Even worse, the Cowboys’ Tony Romo (100.8) did everything Grossman is supposed to be doing — against a better defense.
4: Turnovers by the Bears, including Cedric Benson’s fumble that led to a key Cowboys field goal and a the second of Grossman’s three interceptions that Anthony Henry returned for a back-breaking touchdown.

0 Total tackles for loss and forced fumbles by the Bears’ defense. The Bears had one interception, three sacks, a blocked field goal and several huge breaks from the officials — and still lost by 24 points.
Who will lead them on a journey through three consecutive games against North Division opponents remains to be seen. A quarterback change could be announced today after Grossman's weak effort.
Grossman gift-wrapped a 28-yard touchdown return for cornerback Anthony Henry in the fourth quarter that sealed the Cowboys' 34-10 victory and finished 15-for-32 for 195 yards with no scores and three interceptions. His passer rating was a miniscule 27.5.

''I'm going about my business and not worrying about things I don't control,'' Grossman said when asked if he thinks he'll be benched.

The fans who stayed until the end called for a change, but coordinator Ron Turner actually said they didn't turn to Brian Griese because Grossman did good things through three quarters. Facing a defense that allowed 606 passing yards in two weeks, Grossman was supposed to break out of his funk. Instead, he continued to telegraph his passes. If he has reached rock bottom, only coach Lovie Smith can judge.

''Rex is our quarterback,'' Smith said pre-emptively. ''I don't give you my thoughts until I've watched the video. I know he's going to take a lot of the blame. We all will take a lot of the blame. We didn't get a lot done.''

The likely bottom line in Smith's evaluation will be the 33 turnovers Grossman has committed in his last 17 starts, including last season's playoffs.

The defense couldn't even keep the bad-news offense in this one, not with linebacker Lance Briggs (groin), cornerback Nathan Vasher (groin) and tackle Tommie Harris (knee) being knocked out. Harris had a brace on his left knee after the game.

Slippery Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo was a magician in the pocket, buying time for favorite target Terrell Owens to get loose in the secondary. Romo threw for 329 yards with touchdown passes to Jason Witten and Marion Barber, and Owens had eight catches for 145 yards. Barber ran for 102.

''They had so much riding on their defense,'' Owens said. ''And everybody was talking about how good they were.''

The Cowboys knifed through the Bears with drives of 89 and 91 yards in the third quarter.

Smith now must ask himself if he's finally through with Grossman. It's the same offense as last season, save for Cedric Benson, who fumbled late in the third quarter to set up Nick Folk's 44-yard field goal that put Dallas ahead 20-10. Benson did score on a one-yard run, but his second lost fumble in three games was more glaring.

The Bears' next play from scrimmage was picked off by Henry and returned for the score.

If Smith makes the move to Griese, he's effectively ending the Grossman era. The former first-round pick is a free agent after the season, and demoting him would signal that he's no longer the future of the franchise. Something's going to have to be done because at 1-2, the Bears already trail unbeaten Green Bay by two games.

Don't let the ominous beginning completely surprise you. The history of Super Bowl losers the following season is pretty grim.

Maybe Griese will turn it around.

gbgary
09-24-2007, 08:37 PM
"end of an error"...now THAT'S funny!!

Joemailman
09-24-2007, 09:02 PM
How bad is Wrecks? He is 42nd in the league in QB rating. His kicker, Robbie Gould, is 45th.

RashanGary
09-24-2007, 09:28 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!

Joemailman
09-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Might as well bring back this classic:

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/01/downgoesrex.jpg

MadtownPacker
09-24-2007, 09:48 PM
This is the worst thing to happen to the Packers this season!!

BF4MVP
09-24-2007, 11:07 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

C'mon Lovie..You know you wanna stick with the "Rex is our quarterback" mindset.

Iron Mike
09-24-2007, 11:39 PM
What??? No more Rextasy????

http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10368550/rss

Rick Mirer imitator. That's pretty good. :P

motife
09-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Rick Mirer imitator. That's pretty good. :P

How about "even Stevie Wonder was booing" Rex Grossman..

rpiotr01
09-25-2007, 08:37 AM
I remember when he was first drafted, Ron Wolf said that Grossman reminded him of Favre more than any QB that had some out since. I guess even the best never know...

MadtownPacker
09-25-2007, 08:45 AM
I remember when he was first drafted, Ron Wolf said that Grossman reminded him of Favre more than any QB that had some out since. I guess even the best never know...It was all strategy. He just said that so the FIBs would keep giving wrex chance after chance.

packiowa
09-25-2007, 09:38 AM
I remember when he was first drafted, Ron Wolf said that Grossman reminded him of Favre more than any QB that had some out since. I guess even the best never know...It was all strategy. He just said that so the FIBs would keep giving wrex chance after chance.

I always gve Rex the benefit of the doubt based solely on his quick release and Wolf's statemens. Hell, Wolf really wanted Urlacher too. Personally, I still think Rex can be a sloid qb, but he needs a running game since he has no recievers. Berrian is a great #2, Moose a decent #2, Clark is a good #2 te, and Olsen is hurt. That's tough.

Freak Out
09-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Rex needs a brain transplant. Like a Curry's brain......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6tk6qIhDbA

He has everything but the brain. Maybe a different QB coach might help?

Deputy Nutz
09-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Rex is in a tough position, I think he is a gunslinger, a guy that needs to be able to make chances and move the ball down field. I think he is sort of hand cuffed by this defense. The coaching staff and his teammates are telling him not to make mistakes, let the defense win the game, and it is causing him to question his reads and his throws while on the field. He isn't throwing any of his passes with any authority whatsoever.

I just don't think they have handled him very well in Chicago. They ask him to throw all these deep corner and out routes on third and long because their running game is just average. Turner's offense doesn't allow Rex to rely on the short passes to build his confidence and to soften up the opposing defense.

I bet if Rex got into a different system say a west coast offense, or even a more dynamic offense he would be a better QB.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2007, 10:00 AM
rex ain't a bad QB. I think his biggest deficiencies are he's small, can't see over the linemen, and he's not that elusive at avoiding a rush. A bad combination.

Rex will be in the league a long time, maybe as a backup. He and Griese are very similar players. Not sure Griese is really an upgrade, but worth a try.

MadtownPacker
09-25-2007, 10:41 AM
wrex's problem is that he aint that good. His game is throwing it deep and letting the WRs make the play which worked a Florida but aint happening in the NFL.

Watching the Sunday Night game you could easily see that Romo had nice zip on his passes while grossman's seemed to float a lot. The only QB who might be looking worse then wrexxy is Drew Brees.

The Leaper
09-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Rex will be in the league a long time, maybe as a backup. He and Griese are very similar players. Not sure Griese is really an upgrade, but worth a try.

That's what I've been thinking...Griese and Rex seem awful similar to me. I don't see how changing from one to the other is going to suddenly make a major impact.

I suppose Griese's experience will be an advantage...but Griese is also highly immobile and not overly decisive.

I also think Rex probably could work better in a new environment. The Bears under Lovie are all defense...Rex needs an offensive minded coaching staff to help him utilize his talent. The guy has lost all confidence and is a sitting duck out there.

3irty1
09-25-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't understand how the bears didn't address this in the offseason. We've all seen how bad he is. Now is not the time to build your quarterback for the future. There were a few capable quarterbacks that changed hands this offseason and had the bears done something to acquire one of them, they look a lot scarier.

Carolina_Packer
09-25-2007, 12:12 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chiindex.htm

Since 1992 (when Brett became our QB), their QB situation has been overall woeful, and their RB situation hasn't been great either. That's how lucky we are. As a franchise, we've not had to concern ourselves with that and that is incredible on so many levels.

Brando19
09-25-2007, 05:12 PM
According to foxsports....Griese will start over Grossman on Sunday vs the Lions. Hopefully he sucks real bad and the pack picks them apart in a couple weeks.

oregonpackfan
09-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Please keep Grossman as the starter through and including the Packer game on Oct 7th! It will increase the Packers chances for winning. :)

I personally feel Griese is the better quarterback because he is much more mobile than Grossman.