PDA

View Full Version : A Charger fan's visit to Green Bay

CaliforniaCheez
09-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Sometimes it is interesting to see things from a stranger's point of view.
I found this post on Charger forum.

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9372

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought maybe I'd share some tidbits of my time in Green Bay just to give us something to read besides how damn crappy this team is. I'm sitting in some rest stop area just outside of chicago killing some time before my flight home. I just saw a guy in a Charger hat walk by. There were a surprising amount of Charger fans at the game. Not overwhelming, by any means, but certainly a good showing.

Green Bay is a town that you can easily miss. In fact, I did pass it and had to turn around. Going over the bridge, all I could basically see over the tree tops was the stadium. The cab driver said the tallest building in GB is only about ten stories tall and I couldn't even see that. But these people love their packers. And I found them to be all very nice and gracious. (More charger fans walking through).

I sat next to a guy and his wife at the game who were from Iowa and it was his first time to Lambeau, also. They were nice, friendly people as were all the people I met. Very friendly and not once did I hear anyone yelling anything derogatory at me at any time. However, after the game as I walked back to the hotel, there were several lame attempts at 'rubbing it in'. Amazing how a victory and some alcohol give people so much courage. Anyway, overall, the fans were just laid back, friendly, Mid west people. I was surprised at the lack of noise or rowdiness from the fans at the game. I was expecting a huge, loud, thunderous crowd, but they were mostly "polite".... although, they did erupt on scoring plays and obviously at the end of the game. But it was the 'tamest' crowd I've seen in all the 14 NFL cities I've visited. Strange. But certainly in keeping with their friendly, neighborly style. And when the bolts came out to warm up and when they went back in before the game, the crowd didn't even boo. There may have been a small smattering of boos, but it was also "polite".

As far as Lambeau field goes..... it has mostly those metal bleacher seats with no backs, but I've never been in a stadium where you could be at the top and still have a great view. This is by far the most enjoyable stadium to watch a game that I've been to so far. I was expecting just the opposite. You think that an old stadium would automatically be bad site lines, but there really isn't a bad seat in this place. And it wasn't so bad sitting on the bleacher style benches. Cozy, though.

I just was really impressed with the stadium and the well behaved, courteous fans. I wish I could say the same thing about some of the SD fans. I just don't think there's any need to be yelling "You suck!!" at people just because they root for a different team.

The last thing I was impressed with was how clean the parking lot was kept even though people were tailgating. Before the game started, I was looking down from inside the stadium and I could see people tailgating in the parking lot and I could not see ONE piece of litter or garbage or empty bottles littering the parking lot. These people are, unfortunately, a dying breed. Imagine, treating people with respect and cleaning up your own mess. What a concept.

So, it was a horrible game, again, to have to sit through, but meeting different people around the country is definitely a cool thing. It is amazing how people differ across the U.S.

I even had a Packer fan offer me a ride in his taxi to the game and he paid the bill and wouldn't take any cash from me. And every time I bought something at the concession stand or had any dealing with any of the stadium workers, they always said, "Enjoy the game".

Yeah, I was impressed. It wouldn't be such a bad idea if the rest of America tried copying that approach.

Check out the photos at
http://imageevent.com/lvboltfan/greenbay?p=0&w=4&z=2&c=4&m=24&s=0&y=1&b=20&l=5

MadtownPacker
09-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Man, thats what I am also very curious to see. I plan to walk around GB on Saturday just checking it out. Sounds like a different world in some ways.

RashanGary
09-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Very interesting read. It's good to see that our fans our polite. That said, I've always wished they were louder. They look at you like you are on crack as if to say "STFU" if you scream. Most NFL atmospheres promote loud noises.

The funny thing is that, that was one of the louder Lambeau crowds and it was still more silent than anything this guy has seen. That is bad.

MJZiggy
09-24-2007, 09:47 PM
You're gonna love it.

Tony Oday
09-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Ive been there three times and every time I get chills when i see the field :) AWESOME!

Joemailman
09-24-2007, 09:57 PM
One thing some people don't understand is that the Lambeau crowd understands that it doesn't make sense to make a ton of noise when Favre is calling out the offensive signals. The crowd yesterday was very loud when the Packers were on defense, and also when reacting to successful offensive plays.

gbgary
09-24-2007, 10:07 PM
everything he says is true. i love going to Green Bay. i was struck how much it was/is like my home town of Pueblo, Colorado. same size, architecture, ethinic make-up (although Pueblo has a much larger hispanic population now than when i grew up there). it was like going home (except for the accents :tup:). i've been there five times and will go back as many times as i can. i'm very proud to say i've been a Packer fan my whole life (53 years).

CaliforniaCheez
09-24-2007, 10:13 PM
One thing some people don't understand is that the Lambeau crowd understands that it doesn't make sense to make a ton of noise when Favre is calling out the offensive signals. The crowd yesterday was very loud when the Packers were on defense, and also when reacting to successful offensive plays.

Agreed. Check out this excerpt from San Diego's North County Times.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/09/24/sports/professional/chargers/0_01_419_23_07.txt

Expected to be elite, distraught Chargers break down in 2nd straight loss

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- With 2 minutes, 18 seconds to play, the scoreboard at Lambeau Field displayed "Quiet Please! Offense at Work!" The noisy venue filled with avid Green Bay fans immediately went silent.

The only place that would prove quieter on this sun-splashed Sunday was the Chargers' locker room following the contest. The Packers struck for the go-ahead score two plays after the request for silence, leaving the Chargers stunned and struggling for words after a 31-24 loss before 70,733 at Lambeau Field.

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Man, thats what I am also very curious to see. I plan to walk around GB on Saturday just checking it out. Sounds like a different world in some ways.

Do yourself a favor and take the stadium tour and go through the Packer HOF if you haven't already planned to do so. It's amazing.

GrnBay007
09-24-2007, 10:32 PM

Do yourself a favor and take the stadium tour and go through the Packer HOF if you haven't already planned to do so. It's amazing.

Yep!! You will get big time chills walking through the famous tunnel.

I love Lambeau!!!

MadtownPacker
09-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Do yourself a favor and take the stadium tour and go through the Packer HOF if you haven't already planned to do so. It's amazing.I have every intention of doing that. Do they let you walk on the field?

gbpackfan
09-24-2007, 11:41 PM
I've been to every home game for the past 5 years.

1. I still get chills when the Packers run out of the tunnel.

2. It DOES get loud. The game against Philly was louder then this game, but it gets loud. Like I said after game 1, it was as loud as I have ever heard it against Philly. If the Packers, AND I SAY IF, beat the Vikes it will be CRAZY LOUD for Sunday night football against the Bears.

3. If you have never been, GO! If you have never watched a profootball game live, you have NO IDEA what you are missing. It is a totally different experience. Hard to explain, but it is. There is no sporting event like a Packers game.

4. I have been to other stadiums and Packers' fans are among the best. Not the loudest in the league, but top 10.

GBRulz
09-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Do yourself a favor and take the stadium tour and go through the Packer HOF if you haven't already planned to do so. It's amazing.I have every intention of doing that. Do they let you walk on the field?

I have never taken the stadium tour during the season, but I am going to guess, no. Or maybe they block off a small part of the field for you to walk on, but I can't see them letting fans trot all over the field during the season.

It's cool, they pump fake crowd noise in the tunnel as you walk out. A concept they learned from the Queens :twisted: