PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this? Wow!

Carolina_Packer
09-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Mike Gundy of Oklahoma State goes off!

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/24/more-from-coach-gundy/

packers11
09-24-2007, 11:16 PM
I saw some of it on sportscenter...

What was the article in the paper about anyway???

Carolina_Packer
09-25-2007, 07:11 AM
I saw some of it on sportscenter...

What was the article in the paper about anyway???

It just gives the story behind the video, plus, there are a couple of other videos there now, one press conference follow-up by the coach again (after the original rant) and reaction from the paper that he went off on.

MadtownPacker
09-25-2007, 08:38 AM
He aint the original:

http://www.offsidz.com/uploaded_images/Dennis%20Green-706582.jpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_N1OjGhIFc)

PackerBlues
09-25-2007, 09:11 AM
I think the Coach was right. The reporter went to far with her opinions and way to far in reporting about the personal life of the player. These are not professional athletes. These guys are not getting paid to play. Why in the hell should they have to put up with anyone in the media attacking them personally? As the coach said, "who is really the kid here?"

Then for that reporter and her editor to come back in the media, taking the high road, defending the shit story that she wrote in that shit rag of a newspaper.......as if they did not think that anything was wrong with it, and without any form of apology to that kid.........pathetic!

The Leaper
09-25-2007, 09:23 AM
There is truth in what both sides are saying...but both sides went about saying their piece all wrong.

The journalist clearly is trying to make HER mark in a male dominated sports world...and used the plight of an amateur athlete to do so. She deserved to be publically lambasted IMO, although not quite in the manner that occured. She certainly might have a point about the kid's mental makeup, but that doesn't make her article defensible. There is a difference between amateur and professional athletes...and this is partly where that line is drawn.

The coach took too much away from his team's victory with his rant, and really didn't do much to help the kid he was defending. He didn't need to scream or look like a nutcase. Call her out, but remain professional about it...and don't compound the error by personally attacking the reporter in the same manner she attacked the player.

Carolina_Packer
09-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Yeah, it's a little too personal of a shot at the QB, but, I have to say, it's not the first time I've seen it with a college football player. I am a fan of the Iowa Hawkeyes (yeah, Badger fans, I know they lost at Camp Randall, but it was close, and besides both Bielema and Alvarez are transplants from Hayden Fry's Hawkeye system back in the day). Anyway, Drew Tait, our recently departed QB from last year took a lot of grief, but he also made a lot himself, so he became a target. His senior year started to become a senior slide and Iowa was losing games it should have won with good leadership at the QB position. Tait was a good, sometimes great (not a superstar) QB, but he could also be erratic. He also was very emotional and sometimes made regrettable comments to the media. Kirk Ferentz, ever the professional, handled all of that with class and dignity, and wasn't going to let it get his goat like it did for Mike Gundy in this situation.

One has to wonder after reading the original column (it's available through the original link above, along with the three videos), if what he was really blowing up about was the fact that his coaching decisions were being called into question, or if he was really, truly defending his player. Seems to me that if he had just been less secretive about what was going on with his QB position, he could have kept down the speculation. That said, I don't like hatchet jobs by reporters either, or speculation about a person's character. It's too tabloid.

sooner6600
09-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Genny Carlson is a good reporter.
The Daily Oklahoman is a rag.

Today that Saturday dust up is on the front page above the fold.
One the left side is here comment.
The right side is Mike Gundy.

I read it this morining and its a typical Daily Okie making a mountain
out of a zit.

Mike Gudy has had some very good players go wrong.
Maybe Mike is not a coach good enough for OSU.

OSU has a very long tradition of being number one in sports
other than football.

At least the OU sport writers are agressive and not so meek as
the urnial is.

Just my humble comment.

Now the Dallas Morning News or even the Ft Worthless Starr Telegram
puts the urnil in its proper place as a fish wrapper.

Sincerely

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2007, 11:57 AM
I think that coach enjoys hearing himself talk. He got full of the Holy Spirit and gave a prayer tent performance.

Maybe he was right, but jeez, what a hotdog.

Carolina_Packer
09-25-2007, 12:16 PM
I think that coach enjoys hearing himself talk. He got full of the Holy Spirit and gave a prayer tent performance.

Maybe he was right, but jeez, what a hotdog.

Who does he think he is, Bobby Knight? But, we've established something. He's 40, and he's a man.

Partial
09-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Fuck that reporter.

sooner6600
09-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Harlan;

I think you got it correct.

What Mike Gundy is full of is what is called Pop Skull;
it comes in old mayo jars and when you tap it; light blue
bubbles float to the top.

Yum

BallHawk
09-25-2007, 07:54 PM
The whole thing in the article about his Mom and the chicken, was completely unprofessional, not to mention irrelevant.

Most sports writers suck these days. :evil:

RashanGary
09-25-2007, 08:16 PM
I think the coach should have and could have done things better, but his motives were far more pure and respectable than the reporters who claim their slander of student athletes to be OK in the name of the money they make to do their job and entertainment. Just because you get paid to do something, doesn't make what you are doing right.

That guy blew up and overracted but he did coming from a good place. Her wrong was done in the name of entertainment and money, hardly admireable to me.

Carolina_Packer
09-25-2007, 10:54 PM
I think the coach should have and could have done things better, but his motives were far more pure and respectable than the reporters who claim their slander of student athletes to be OK in the name of the money they make to do their job and entertainment. Just because you get paid to do something, doesn't make what you are doing right.

That guy blew up and overracted but he did coming from a good place. Her wrong was done in the name of entertainment and money, hardly admireable to me.

I don't know. The more I think about this, the more I think there may have been more than meets the eye. What were his motives? His team had just won a thrilling game with Texas Tech (49-45) and what dominates his post-game news conference? An attack on a small-time, local journalist who made a few somewhat inappropriate, but certainly not outrageously offensive remarks about one of his demoted players. Are you kidding me?

I think this was grandstanding and hot dogging for the benefit of his players (to show he had their backs), but the net affect, if not the intention will be that players may be attracted to the program now because they figure the guy will always have their back, so that benefits OK State recruiting; all because he went off on some small-time reporter that he knows professionally as coach/reporter. In fact, look at his comments from his Monday press conference when he was a whole lot more subdued and much less willing to talk about it (likely because he realized he behaved like a jackass).

>>Gundy also said in his news conference that "I don't dislike Jenni. Jenni and I have had a good relationship, and her and I joke about things. Obviously I didn't feel real comfortable with that article. I'm not mad at her, I don't dislike her and I don't think she's a bad person -- not that I'm somebody to judge." <<

So, if you have the coach/reporter relationship and this is what you think of her, then why use a post-game news conference after an exciting win to ambush a young, unknown reporter for a small-time paper? It would have made more sense to pull her aside one on one and tell her what was on his mind, rather than calling her out in public.

This may have been more calculated than we think. It was interesting to note in his follow-up press conference on Monday his comments saying he forgot some of the stuff that he was going to say when he got into his emotional tirade. I guess yelling while reading from a prepared text doesn't quite look authentic.

I'm not saying that I agree with what the reporter did, but honestly this is "Comes with the territory" stuff. If you are a D1 coach or player, life is damn good for you. You are adored. You may not be making money as a player, but you kind of walk on water in terms of perks and privileges. Coaches also make some big iron, and have a lot of perks too. Life is good. So, with that territory comes a responsibility to handle yourself with professionalism and to handle criticism well, even when things are said that you don't like. Poor coach! Someone criticized one of his players. How dare they? Gimme a break! Handle your business like a man, and stop ambushing small-time reporters to create attention for you and your program. If his program improves in the next few years as a result of this bump in exposure, perhaps he will have his foil, Ms. Carlson to thank yet.