PDA

View Full Version : Winfield wants Driver! Bring it on!!!

gbpackfan
09-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Vikings: Winfield wants to face Favre's favorite

The Vikings cornerback says he'll ask the coaching staff to match him against Packers receiver Donald Driver.

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: September 24, 2007 – 9:52 PM

Antoine Winfield is tired of being avoided by offenses that would much rather challenge the Vikings' more inexperienced cornerbacks. The veteran's solution for the problem? Put him on the opposing team's top receiver.

Winfield said Monday that he plans to ask the Vikings coaching staff to match him up against Green Bay receiver Donald Driver on Sunday. Driver, in his ninth season, was tied for eighth in the NFL with 20 receptions for 265 yards and two touchdowns through Sunday and is Brett Favre's favorite target. The Packers quarterback, of course, is one touchdown pass from breaking Dan Marino's NFL record of 420 TD passes.

While that mark likely will fall Sunday, Winfield wants an opportunity to prevent history from being made in the Metrodome and figures being assigned to Driver might help. It also could help the Vikings from falling to 1-3 and seeing their NFC North rival improve to 4-0.

"I know that's where the ball is going to go," Winfield said, alluding to Driver. "So, of course, the only way I'll be able to make a play is to guard him."

Winfield has one of the Vikings' five interceptions this season, returning it 14 yards for a touchdown in a season-opening victory over Atlanta, but for the most part teams have spent much of their time staying away from the left cornerback. Instead, they have targeted second-year corner Cedric Griffin on the right side and rookie Marcus McCauley, who plays left corner in the nickel defense; in those situations Winfield slides into the slot.

Kansas City scored the winning touchdown in its 13-10 victory over the Vikings on Sunday when rookie receiver Dwayne Bowe outjumped Griffin to catch a 16-yard pass from Damon Huard. Winfield credited Bowe with making a "good play" and said Griffin "played a pretty good game."

But it's clear Winfield wants to be more in the mix, and getting the assignment against top receivers on a weekly basis would be a good start. Asked if he was frustrated that teams are avoiding him, Winfield said: "You can expect that. I have two young guys playing with me. Ced in his second year and Marcus is a rookie. Of course, all the coordinators and head coaches look for matchups. So they're going there right now."

Coach Brad Childress said Monday that "we haven't even gone there yet" when asked about the possibility of having Winfield in his desired role, but the Vikings likely will at least give it consideration.

The team's pass defense tied for last in the NFL in 2006 and was 18th in the league through Sunday. That was an improvement from its No. 25 ranking a week earlier. The progress was made in large part because the Chiefs' passing attack is limited, and Kansas City insisted on trying to run the ball against a Vikings run defense that improved to No. 2 in the NFL.

A week earlier, however, the Lions' Jon Kitna and J.T. O'Sullivan completed 35 of 56 passes for 393 yards and two touchdowns against the Vikings. The pass-happy Packers are sure to provide a repeat.

Lacking any type of a running game -- Green Bay is last in the NFL in rushing and sixth in passing -- Favre and Co. go to the air often. They are sure to attack the Vikings' weakness by spreading them out with a package that features no running back, three receivers (Driver, James Jones and Greg Jennings) and two tight ends (Bubba Franks and Donald Lee).

The Vikings want to avoid what Driver did to them last November at the Metrodome. In the Packers' 23-17 victory, he caught six passes for 191 yards and a touchdown. That was the best single-game yardage total by an NFC receiver in 2006.

The idea of having a cornerback match up against a specific receiver is nothing new. The Packers have done it the past two weeks with Al Harris going against the Giants' Plaxico Burress in Week 2 and against San Diego's Vincent Jackson on Sunday. Because Winfield already plays inside in the nickel defense, lining up in different spots wouldn't pose any issues.

Winfield initially brought up the topic of shadowing Driver on Monday morning near the end of his appearance on KFAN Radio. His message was short but crystal-clear. "If I'm not matched up on Donald Driver one-on-one something is wrong," he said.

Judd Zulgad • jzulgad@startribune.com

__________________________________________________ ____________________

The Vikings would be crazy not to do this. Driver will eat Griffin and McCauley for breakfast otherwise. Either way, the Vikes dont match up well here. Jennings and Jones are going to run wild!

GrnBay007
09-24-2007, 11:49 PM
Stalker!! :P

3irty1
09-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Antoine Winfield is tired of being avoided by offenses that would much rather challenge the Vikings' more inexperienced cornerbacks. The veteran's solution for the problem? Put him on the opposing team's top receiver.

Retarded. Winfield being avoided? He was the 7th most targeted corner in the league last year with 89 passes thrown his way. He was even more targeted than his teammate Fred Smoot in 2006. Teams love the matchups they get with their #1 WR on the undersized Winfield. How do you think he gets all those tackles? The queens gave up the most passing yards in the league last year. I'll be it that this was partly because teams tended to throw more against their defense which made their secondary look worse but the fact is that teams had success against Winfield last year and will do so again this year.

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2007, 01:17 AM
# Brett Favre has thrown at least two touchdown passes in seven consecutive games at the Metrodome.

# Donald Driver is averaging 156 yards in his last three trips to the Metrodome, scoring in all three games.

Freak Out
09-25-2007, 01:25 AM
The Vikings want to avoid what Driver did to them last November at the Metrodome. In the Packers' 23-17 victory, he caught six passes for 191 yards and a touchdown. That was the best single-game yardage total by an NFC receiver in 2006.

Packers4Glory
09-25-2007, 04:35 AM
as long as jennings is healthy..him and jones are a great threat opposite driver. I think both have the makings of being studs in this lg. Jones does remind me a lot of Sharpe. those two are a lot to get excited over the next several season.

RashanGary
09-25-2007, 06:30 AM
Jennings is still VERY underrated. I'd love it if they rotate everything to Driver. They will get killed.

run pMc
09-25-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm expecting MIN to blitz a lot.
Hopefully Jennings is healthy this week, the OL steps up to the challenge, and Brett takes care of the ball. I'd love to see a 4-0 start to the season.

What do you think will happen if Winfield doesn't shadow DD all day, DD scores a TD, and the Vikes struggle to score?

The Leaper
09-25-2007, 09:09 AM
It won't matter who is trying to cover Packer receivers...Favre is going to torch them, since Minnesota certainly doesn't have the talent to pressure the QB that SD has.

Deputy Nutz
09-25-2007, 09:18 AM
It seems like the Packers offense and Favre have gone back in time to 1996. You simply can't blitz this offense or show the blitz ahead of time because Favre is going to pick you apart with his audibles.

I actually think their is going to be more Packer Fans in Minnesota this week than actual Vikings fans. So crowd noise will not be as bad as in the past.

In this day and age even the best cornerbacks will have problems at times guarding the other teams best receivers, The league is set up to promote the star wide out beating the star cornerback.

Winfield sure talks a big game, I know one thing he sure ain't Deon Sanders or Champ Bailey.

Him8123
09-25-2007, 04:33 PM
It won't matter who is trying to cover Packer receivers...Favre is going to torch them, since Minnesota certainly doesn't have the talent to pressure the QB that SD has.

I sure hope so, but as a reminder to everyone, don`t get too cocky yet, It would be awesome to be 4-0 but just like the saying goes "any given sunday" anything can happen. Lets just hope the Pack stay focused and remember where they came from and how hard they have worked to get here. Just smart and tough football.

MasonCrosby
09-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Minnesota is certainly trying hard for an upset here to bring Green Bay back down to earth. But what i really like about the Packers' odds is Minnesota's lack of production from the QB spot. i think if they can stop adrian peterson, they'll hamper the vikings offense severely.

BallHawk
09-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Minnesota always says they're going to focus and stopping DD and then he burns them for a TD.

I predict another 100-yard, 1 TD came from Donald. He plays well against the Vikes.

3irty1
09-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Minnesota always says they're going to focus and stopping DD and then he burns them for a TD.

I predict another 100-yard, 1 TD came from Donald. He plays well against the Vikes.

Most wide outs play well against the Vikes.