PDA

View Full Version : Favre is the Roger Clemens of football.

3irty1
09-25-2007, 01:14 AM
A friend of mine were discussing this today about how much Brett reminds us of Roger Clemens.

Roger is known for his legendary workout which has kept him in great shape despite his old age. Brett at 37 is in the best shape of his career.

Both have epic durability. Favre as we already know and Rogers terrific recovery time and right arm that just doesn't break down.

Both have managed long careers and managed to stay effective the whole time! The Rocket clearly doesn't have the speed on his fastball that he had in his younger years but he has adapted and even improved by adding a filthy splitter to his arsenal. Favre has done the equivalent. Although he hasn't really lost anything in the way of arm strength, he definitely has lost a lot of mobility. IMO he has more than made up for it in recent years with his preparation. He came into the league not even knowing what a nickel and dime defense was. He didn't even seem to care what the defense was doing. He just used supreme physical tools to win games. These days we hear about how he is staying up until 11 every night studying tape. He is without a doubt the most charismatic quarterback in the game and makes his young team play at a higher level.

Basically, Roger Clemens is the greatest pitcher you have ever seen with your own two eyes. Brett Favre is the same way at the quarterback position.

Kiwon
09-25-2007, 05:11 AM
I like the comparison. Both are HOFers and are defining players for their generation.

Iron Mike
09-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Agreed. Except for the fact that Roger Clemens never had Greg Lloyd trying to drive him through the ground.

http://www.pittsburghsteelers.co.uk/steelers/players/greg%20lloyd%20bl.gif

Guiness
09-25-2007, 08:51 AM
I don't mind the comparison to Clemens as far as durability, effectiveness late in their careers, etc. But Clemens is a mercenary ass, who only seems to be out for himself and not concerned about his teams, etc. Totally the opposite of Brett.

3irty1
09-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Ya he is. He's a weird guy too and a little crazy. All the best pitchers are the ones who will dust you off in the first so they can strike you out the next 3 times. Clemens isn't a great teammate but that matters way less in baseball.

The Leaper
09-25-2007, 09:07 AM
I think a better comparison is Favre to Nolan Ryan. They have similar personalities and both have tremendous physical talents that allowed them to continue doing things late into life that some guys could never do in their 20s. Nolan Ryan was still throwing 100 mph heat into his 40s...the same way Favre is still throwing rifle passes in the NFL as he approaches 40.

There is no doubt in my mind that Favre has the physical capacity to play for another 2-3 years if he wants to...and still remain a top performer in the league.

3irty1
09-25-2007, 09:15 AM
I think a better comparison is Favre to Nolan Ryan. They have similar personalities and both have tremendous physical talents that allowed them to continue doing things late into life that some guys could never do in their 20s. Nolan Ryan was still throwing 100 mph heat into his 40s...the same way Favre is still throwing rifle passes in the NFL as he approaches 40.

There is no doubt in my mind that Favre has the physical capacity to play for another 2-3 years if he wants to...and still remain a top performer in the league.

Haha I actually made this comparison the other day. A vikings fan was talking about the all time interception record. I pointed out that most people either don't know, don't care, or don't remember that Nolan Ryan has the all time walk record. They old remember him as the strike out king. Just like Favre will be the touchdown king.

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2007, 09:23 AM
From all accounts, Clemens isn't a bad teammate. Sure, he seems a little self-centered and gets the royal treatment more than any other player, but he's earned it.

woodbuck27
09-25-2007, 09:29 AM
NO.

Noone is like Brett Favre. None has ever been like him, and noone will ever be just like him.

He's truly SPECIAL.

He is a . . . GREAT GREAT Green Bay Packer.

A truly GREAT NFL QB. An incredible competitor. A super athlete with the deftness of Houdini. One of the toughest PRO athletes ALL TIME if not the toughest.

FAVRE IS VERY SPECIAL and he's still ours.

Deputy Nutz
09-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Nolan Ryan only had a .526 winning percentage. Favre has the most wins in the the NFL.

Although Ryan and Favre are closer in demeanor, grizzled veterans with attitude. Ryan was just a tough son of a bitch,

Carolina_Packer
09-25-2007, 10:11 AM
It's as close as you can come to a comparison between the two sports. They are both:

Icons in their respective sports for their performance and longevity

Unsure about the end of their careers because they are both incredible competitors

Great leaders because of the respect they have from their teammates.

Obviously, there are a lot of things you can't compare between the two sports.

I think it's easier for a dominating pitcher to carry a team to a victory than a dominating QB. Baseball can setup pitcher matching up with hitter and if hitter doesn't do anything with the pitches, the pitcher wins.

If a QB has players drop passes, or if mistakes are made on defense to give up too many points, changing the game plan, or special teams has breakdowns, then it can ruin a great QB performance.

I know that a pitcher can be beat 1-0 and still have an outstanding day, but I still think baseball is more of a bunch of indivdiual accomplishments coming together on a team whereas football, all the performances are more inter-connected. Plus there is the obvious difference in collision vs. non-collision sports.

The Leaper
09-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Nolan Ryan only had a .526 winning percentage. Favre has the most wins in the the NFL.

True, but Ryan didn't play for the Red Sox and Yankees most of his career either...as Clemens did. I would expect Ryan's winning percentage would be notably higher if he had played on better teams. Of course, Clemens is still a much better pitcher over the long haul regardless.

My opinion is just that in terms of physical ability, Favre much more closely resembles Ryan...not to mention personality and good-ole-boy charm. Nolan Ryan did not change as a pitcher in his career as Clemens has. Ryan was always a power pitcher, right up until the end in his mid 40s. Clemens has not been a power pitcher in the last 4-5 years...he doesn't throw upper-90s heat on a consistent basis anymore and is more of a finesse pitcher now who has to pick his spots. It is a credit to Clemens that he can change like that and remain a dominant pitcher...but Favre hasn't changed, and neither did Ryan.

My point is that Favre and Ryan are examples of guys who merely are blessed with golden arms that seem like they could remain potent forever...at least far past when their mental will to continue playing will ebb away.

VegasPackFan
09-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Favre has already proven that his durability is second to none by way of his consecutive record. No one thought a QB could last that long without getting hurt and at least miss a few games.

It is therefore not much of a stretch to figure that he may be able to play the QB position effectively to an older age than anyone has ever seen before.

3irty1
09-25-2007, 02:54 PM
I think Favre HAS changed in that he prepares better for games. Holmgren has even said so.

Ryan just never got worse. He was a tough s.o.b. and continued to throw no hitters in the same fashon until he retired in his 40's.

I said Favre is more like Clemens because they both have developed their games in order to continue to dominate for extraordinarily long careers. Favre stays up all night studying defenses, Clemens developed a splitter. They both just want to win that badly.

4and12to12and4
09-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Going back to the Clemens, Favre comparison, the biggest difference to me is that, as far as we know, Favre never had a teammate pull his pants down and administer a shot of steroids to his ass. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Brett's teammates may have ran and got him some water or gatorade to suck down the Vicodin, but that's about it.

Maxie the Taxi
09-25-2007, 07:53 PM
If you're interested in an "old school" baseball player that Favre reminds me of, I suggest Warren Spahn.

Like Favre, Spahnnie was one-of-a kind. He had a style all his own. He pitched 21 years in the big leagues, all except a few games for Milwaukee (and he lost 3 productive years serving in WWII). He was a fiesty, never-say-die competitor. When he was 42, he had a record of 23-7. I think he still is the winningest left-hander of all time.

Plus, he went through a retirement controversey of sorts, opting to pitch until he was 44 and past his prime. Spahn was the first of the modern era to post win totals amongst the old timer's like Cy Young and Walter Johnson. On top of everything else he was an outstanding hitter.

Spahn appeared in three World Series (won four games and lost three). In 1957 he helped the Braves win the World Series.

There will never be another high-kicking Spahn or another high flying Favre. They're both probably the best players at their positions I've ever seen.

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Favre reminds me of Andre Agassi.

Extremely talented kids who were likeable, but immature in the early days. Mostly, they got by on that talent early. Both had some rough spots in their respective careers. Great high points and bad low points. Then, they both became extremely hard working later in their career. They became eloquent, elder statesmen who played the game the way it should be played. They also became better family men and charitable.

Both guys missed some opportunities in their careers, but neither has any regrets.

Peyton Manning is more like Pete Sampras. Manning (probably) and Sampras were better, but Favre and Agassi are more beloved.

MJZiggy
09-25-2007, 09:44 PM
I thought Favre was football's Cal Ripken. Remember part of the reason Cal played in so many games was 'cause he was pretty good...