PDA

View Full Version : Should Favre retire?

LL2
09-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Ok, GB is having a better year so far than anyone expected and stats say teams that start 3-0 have a 76% odds of making the playoffs. Just say Favre puts up 35 TD's / 15 INT's and the team makes the NFC championship game and loses or even the Super Bowl. That's no crappy way to end a season right? It's not like they finished 4-12 or 8-8.

Would you retire if you were Favre knowing that you really do not have anything else to prove?

My advise to him would be yes. Go out on top. Just look at the Saints, you never know what the next season will bring.

What are your thoughts?

4and12to12and4
09-25-2007, 03:33 PM
If he is the better QB, he should still play. Period. If Aaron Rodgers is the better QB, then he should retire. Period. My guess is that he will, injury free, be the better QB for at least two to three more years. Why retire if you're still one of the best. Plus, we don't want Peyton taking all his records away. The further from Marino he gets, the lower the chance Peyton catches him.

LL2
09-25-2007, 03:46 PM
If he is the better QB, he should still play. Period. If Aaron Rodgers is the better QB, then he should retire. Period. My guess is that he will, injury free, be the better QB for at least two to three more years. Why retire if you're still one of the best. Plus, we don't want Peyton taking all his records away. The further from Marino he gets, the lower the chance Peyton catches him.

He shouldn't still play if he's better than ARod. He should still play if he has the desire to and wants to. Putting Peyton out of reach shouldn't have anything to do with the decision (how many does Peyton have anyways?). my point is go out on top!

3irty1
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Ok, GB is having a better year so far than anyone expected and stats say teams that start 3-0 have a 76% odds of making the playoffs. Just say Favre puts up 35 TD's / 15 INT's and the team makes the NFC championship game and loses or even the Super Bowl. That's no crappy way to end a season right? It's not like they finished 4-12 or 8-8.

Would you retire if you were Favre knowing that you really do not have anything else to prove?

My advise to him would be yes. Go out on top. Just look at the Saints, you never know what the next season will bring.

What are your thoughts?

Favre already has nothing else to prove. He's accompished more than any quarterback ever has. I honestly beleive him when he says he doesn't care about records. He will continue to come back because he loves the game and loves winning.

I doubt that he cares about "going out on top." If he did it would only prove that hes got more games left in him.

AtlPackFan
09-25-2007, 04:45 PM

What are your thoughts?

I have a question to your question. If Favre comes back, do you ask for a trade if your ARod? Next year will be his fourth year...how many years do you think he will be happy sitting behind Favre holding a clipboard?

LL2
09-25-2007, 04:48 PM

What are your thoughts?

I have a question to your question. If Favre comes back, do you ask for a trade if your ARod? Next year will be his fourth year...how many years do you think he will be happy sitting behind Favre holding a clipboard?

If I was Arod I wouldn't be happy and would want to be traded...but that's not related to this thread and besides the point.

MJZiggy
09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Like Phil Simms said, "When you think your career is over, try to get one more year out of it. You want to try to give yourself as many memories, as many thoughts to think about when you get done.

"(Favre) played very well at the end of the year, basically for the whole year. He proved to everybody he could guide a team that was not looked upon to be great and still got it done."

And wasn't it Aikman who said "play until they drag you off the field..."

As for Rodgers, please see the gay wedding thread about Rodgers and the Packers being "committed to one another."

AtlPackFan
09-25-2007, 04:53 PM

What are your thoughts?

If I was Arod I wouldn't be happy and would want to be traded...but that's not related to this thread and besides the point.

AtlPackFan
09-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Like Phil Simms said, "When you think your career is over, try to get one more year out of it. You want to try to give yourself as many memories, as many thoughts to think about when you get done.

"(Favre) played very well at the end of the year, basically for the whole year. He proved to everybody he could guide a team that was not looked upon to be great and still got it done."

As for Rodgers, please see the gay wedding thread about Rodgers and the Packers being "committed to one another."

Didn't see that thread originally...Sorry. Not on here everyday.

AtlPackFan
09-25-2007, 05:05 PM

What are your thoughts?

Sorry...didn't mean to upset the thread.

IF Favre is playing well OR they don't win a Super Bowl THEN
Favre is back!
ENDIF

Him8123
09-25-2007, 05:09 PM

If Favre gets to the NFC Championship game or Superbowl and loses. You think he would actually retire?? Come on that would just ignite the fire inside of him even more to come back and compete again and try to win another ring. You can`t really compare it to the Saints, they lucked out last year. Just so happened they played all the teams at the right times, in a bad division last year with injury riddled Panthers, QB less Bucs, and a bad falcons team. Plus every Power team the Saints faced last year, mostly in the AFC pummled the Saints, as they also got pummeled by the Bears in the NFC championship game. The NFC is not as good as the AFC and there`s no big gap between teams in it. Giving every team just as much chance to go into the playoffs. Hell we almost made it last year. Point is we are getting better, so if we go far this year and lose in the end, I highly doubt if Favre does come back we are gonna tank next season. This team is only getting better.

MJZiggy
09-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Didn't see that thread originally...Sorry. Not on here everyday.

Not a criticism, I was just too lazy to dig it up and link it.

Bretsky
09-25-2007, 05:28 PM

What are your thoughts?

Going out on top means WINNING the Super Bowl; short of that my answer you your question is an ASBOLUTE NO

4and12to12and4
09-25-2007, 05:37 PM

He shouldn't still play if he's better than ARod. He should still play if he has the desire to and wants to. Putting Peyton out of reach shouldn't have anything to do with the decision (how many does Peyton have anyways?). my point is go out on top!

Favre will have the desire to play until the day he dies, so I thought that was not even in question. He will want to play as long as he is still one of the better QB's in the league, and if the team wants him. He'll be more talented than Rodgers at least 2 to 3 more years, barring injury. It's not even close right now. I don't see him retiring next year unless we miss the playoffs and he has a horrible final 13 games. And I don't see that happening, there is something special about the way he is playing this year, I think he is playing maybe even better than when in his prime. He makes better choices, and all his passes are still being thrown with accuracy. The long ball to James was perfect, as was the lob pass in the endzone to Donald Lee. He still has all the tools. Not to mention he's still almost impossible to sack. No way he retires if healthy and this team makes a statement this year.

Freak Out
09-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Stop with all the SB and retirement talk.

mmmdk
09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Stop with all the SB and retirement talk.

...hmm I want another Lombardi trophy for Packers, say, this season! 8-) And more championships to come! Hey, I predicted a 7-9 season but that doesn't mean I don't want Packers to win games and championships. In my book there're 3 teams in the AFC that should walk all over any NFC team in the upcoming SB (Pats, Colts & Steelers). It's still a longshot but not beyond reach.

Play to win - IT ALL.

Kiwon
09-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah, he should retire after he gets the TD record and before he gets the INT record.

Freak Out
09-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah, he should retire after he gets the TD record and before he gets the INT record.

So next week then.

The Leaper
09-26-2007, 07:57 AM
Favre is playing to win another Super Bowl. I would expect that if he is able to accomplish that, he will step away from the game easily.

If they do in fact reach the playoffs, but fall short of a title, I see no reason why Favre would quit on his quest to win another title now. The team is on the rise and only stands to continue to improve in the next few years based on the overall youth of the roster.

Carolina_Packer
09-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Favre is playing to win another Super Bowl. I would expect that if he is able to accomplish that, he will step away from the game easily.

If they do in fact reach the playoffs, but fall short of a title, I see no reason why Favre would quit on his quest to win another title now. The team is on the rise and only stands to continue to improve in the next few years based on the overall youth of the roster.

QFT. I think this young team has energized him. Barring injury, and still having that desire to play or "the itch to scratch", why not play on? He may be getting chronologically older for a player, but the league has never seen the likes of him before, just a freak of talent and longevity. I seem to remember a comment he made in recent years about how he admired how John Elway was able to go out on top winning a Super Bowl. It would be a fitting way to wrap up his career, for sure. If they were fortunate enough to go into the playoffs and be competetive, I'm not so sure he would call it a career. If he's still playing at a high level, why should he stop believing in himself or his abilities? He may be a quarterback who is old, but he is far from an old quarterback. If he has the desire and the skills and the team is on the rise, keep playing and having fun.