PDA

View Full Version : JSO article on Woodson

Guiness
05-05-2006, 10:45 PM
JSO has an article about what Woodson's arrival will mean to GB's secondary. The best part, though, is a quote from Harris:

"That’s what you want, opportunity,” said Harris, who had three interceptions last season, one returned for a touchdown. “I hope I can get some balls thrown at me. If I was the opposing offense I wouldn’t throw at Woodson. I’d throw at me."

I don't know if he's that humble, or just trying to be funny, but I laughed :lol:

Partial
05-06-2006, 12:35 AM
I think they'll be a good tandem. Hopefully teams are forced to run by them and KGB learns to defense the run. I am le drunk.

MadtownPacker
05-06-2006, 02:02 AM
I think hes just being honest. Carroll was getting most of the throws his way the first half of the 05 season. In the second half of last year it seemed like Carroll played better then Harris. Not sure if the losing had something to do with it but Harris got torched a few times. For all you know it might end up being Carroll and Woodson.

If TT likes tough players he cant complain about Carroll not being tough. He hits and if he stops all the extra stuff could be very good.

motife
05-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Posted May 06, 2006

Woodson brings hope to Packers’ secondary
By Dylan B. Tomlinson
PackersNews.com

Al Harris overheard the question and couldn’t contain his excitement.

Charles Woodson was standing at his locker and holding court with a group of reporters when Harris overheard a question about what it would be like for the two cornerbacks to play together.

“Weââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢re going to be bad as (expletive),” Harris said with a huge grin. “Weââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢re going to get things done.”

Harris has good reason to be excited. When the Green Bay Packers signed Woodson to a contract earlier this week that averages around $6 million per year over the first three seasons, the Packers dramatically improved their defense.

The Packers led the NFL last season in passing defense, but if the team had one hole that needed filling, it was to find a cornerback who was capable of playing alongside Harris. Since the Packers traded Mike McKenzie to the New Orleans Saints early in the 2004 season, Harris has had to shoulder a heavy load in Green Bay’s secondary.

This is where Woodson, 29, steps in.

“Weââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢re going to have a lot of fun. There’s going to be a lot of celebrating on our side of the ball,” Woodson said. “Teams aren’t going to want to throw it at me. Teams aren’t going to want to throw it at Al. They’ve got to throw it somewhere and when they do, one of us is going to be very happy.”

When Ahmad Carroll lined up at left cornerback, Harris would see precious few passes thrown in his direction. Teams overwhelmingly favored attacking the inexperienced Carroll rather than going after a veteran like Harris. With Woodson’s help in the secondary, Harris said he knows that will no longer be the case.

“Naturally, they’re going to have to pick and choose about where they throw the ball,” Harris said. “I think we’re going to work really well together. I really do.”

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said he thinks the addition of Woodson gives the Packers an immediate upgrade in the secondary.

“Any time you add a quality player like that, it’s going to make a difference,” Sanders said. “It gives you a lot of flexibility when you have two veterans like Al and Charles back there. It will help the entire defense.”

While the Packers’ secondary showed a dramatic improvement last season, it continued to struggle with interceptions. The Packers tied for the fewest in the NFL with eight in 2004 and managed only 10 last season.

“ThatÃ¢à ‚¬â„¢s going to change,” Woodson said. “We had similar problems in Oakland, but I’m healthy now, and as long as I’m healthy, I feel like I’m one of the best corners in this league.”

From 1998 to 2001, Woodson was selected to the Pro Bowl after each of his first four seasons. Since 2002, keeping Woodson healthy has been no small task. Woodson missed eight games in 2002 with a broken right shoulder and a cracked right fibula. In 2004, he missed the last three games with a hip injury. Last season, he missed 10 games after breaking a leg.

Despite all of the injuries, Woodson said he’s feeling great and is ready to go.

“I was cleared the last game of the season. I took a physical out there in Oakland and the X-rays showed that the bone had healed completely,” he said. “I started working out as soon as I got back to Atlanta in the offseason.”

When he was working out in Atlanta, Woodson frequently encountered Carroll. Carroll said the two spoke often. He said he was excited when the Packers signed Woodson, even though it meant he would lose his starting job.

“He actually told me he was going to sign with the Packers. I found out from him before I heard it from anyone else,” Carroll said. “Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m excited. He was one of my favorite players growing up. I used to wear his jersey when I was in high school.”

While Carroll appears to have lost his starting job, he thinks the addition of Woodson will help him in the long run.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m only 22 and I have a chance to learn from two great players like Al and Charles,” Carroll said. “Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m not worried about anything. It’s a good move for this team.”

Woodson chose the Packers over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and admitted he had given little thought to playing in Green Bay before the Packers contacted his agent.

“I definitely never thought I would ever play in Green Bay,” Woodson said. “I had a good visit here. It felt like they really wanted me here. That was important to me.”

During his first practice as a member of the Packers, Woodson intercepted a pass, which gave Packers coach Mike McCarthy reason to be excited and optimistic.

“Heââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s everything we thought he was,” McCarthy said. “Heââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s jumped right in. I think our style of play on defense fits him and I’m obviously happy he’s here.”

Dylan B. Tomlinson writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton. E-mail him at dtomlins@postcrescent.com

MadtownPacker
05-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Carroll is starting to mature. The secondary is gonnabe sick if Woodson stays on his feet.

RashanGary
05-06-2006, 10:53 AM
I had hope for Carroll. His run in with the law is making me second guess his focus.

MadtownPacker
05-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I had hope for Carroll. His run in with the law is making me second guess his focus.
Barnett had the DJ choking incident. Harrisment had the stripper mess. Both incidents where much worse then Carroll pushing some cops corrupt hands away and it didnt affect them last season. He is 22 and we should be surprised that is all that has happened with Carroll.

Tarlam!
05-06-2006, 11:25 AM

As Scott(?) remarked on another thread, Carroll will see what a REAL 1st rounder looks like coming into camp when A.J. does what good rooks do: Listen attentively, speak only to ask questions, train like it's your last chance to make the team and respect your team mates and coaches.

Carroll was a lot younger in years than A.J. But, from what I've read, A.J. was more mature tan Carroll 3 years ago when he was still in high school. Carroll is still young for his age.

This season will truly uncover his real character - of that I'm certain. And, he was improving end of last year. I still haven't written him off...

swede
05-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Gee, Tarlam,

You don't think there could be anything to this old-fashioned notion that character means something in drafting players, do you?

I also am impressed with the sense of confidence that Woodson is bringing to this defense. It comes without swagger or trash talk. I expect him to walk the walk come September, and the defense is about to become something special this very year.

Swede

Tarlam!
05-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Yeah, Swede, character is everything. This is fast becoming a TEAM, not just 100 guys trying to make 1 of 53 spots so they can get paid.

There a a postive to drafting guys that just do the right thing by their nature. It will lso win us a lot of games. As I posted last season gimme 53 like Sam Gado and we'll do just fine. TT must have been listening; this draft class is high on character.

Javon was allowed to walk, because he lacked it. Carroll might find his...