PDA

View Full Version : Don't cry for me- Robert Ferguson

CaliforniaCheez
09-25-2007, 10:26 PM
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/247636
Ferguson finds role with Vikings

Unlike his ex-Packers/current Vikings teammates, safety Darren Sharper and kicker Ryan Longwell, both of whom left Green Bay on less-than-amicable terms, Ferguson said he still talks to about "25 guys" on the team. He said he called Sunday to congratulate them and Favre, who tied Dan Marino's NFL record for career touchdown passes with 420 in the Packers' 31-24 win over San Diego.

"I'm in a great situation. I'm thankful that it went down the way it did to where I can really help this team and really, really do some (positive) things," Ferguson said.

Asked if he wished he was still with the Packers, given their 3-0 start, he replied, "Not at all. I'm a Viking. I'm not even concerned about what they're doing there. My concern right now is (being) 1-2 and the number of situations we have to correct.

Ferguson had eight passes thrown his way in Week 2 against Detroit, catching three of them for 29 yards. Last week against Kansas City, he started in place of an injured Troy Williamson (hamstring) but didn't have a catch.

"He played 54, 55 plays (Sunday). He stepped in, had no assignment errors," Vikings coach Brad Childress said. "I will tell you, what he did tremendously is he was tenacious in terms of blocking people down the field. He had people on the ropes."

Ferguson expects to do more this week against his former club than just help the Vikings defensive coaches with his insight into the Packers' offense.

HarveyWallbangers
09-25-2007, 10:28 PM
Now this is funny.

He started in place of an injured Troy Williamson but didn't have a catch.

"He played 54, 55 plays. He stepped in, had no assignment errors," Vikings coach Brad Childress said.

Harlan Huckleby
09-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Ferguson had eight passes thrown his way in Week 2 against Detroit, catching three of them

an excellent batting average. but not so hot for football.

BallHawk
09-25-2007, 10:32 PM
He had people on the ropes."

Maybe a slight exaggeration. I don't think defenses are going to look at the schedule when they play the Vikes and say "Oh, damn, we're going against Robert Ferguson this week!"

GrnBay007
09-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Good luck Fergy!! I hope he finds success, he was never a jerk in GB.

mmmdk
09-25-2007, 10:49 PM

No good luck to Fergy on sunday. He's a Viking now.

packers11
09-25-2007, 10:51 PM
If Williamson if still injured, Fergy will be matched up with Woodson...

I bet Woodson is shaking in his shoes right now knowing he has such a tough challenge this week... :wink:

Carolina_Packer
09-25-2007, 11:01 PM
If Williamson if still injured, Fergy will be matched up with Woodson...

I bet Woodson is shaking in his shoes right now knowing he has such a tough challenge this week... :wink:

He can cover him with his eyes closed...just follow the scent of alligator (arms).

Bretsky
09-25-2007, 11:28 PM

Don't you remember his rookie season ? He was inactive for over half the season and much of that was his immaturity.

Patler
09-25-2007, 11:36 PM

Don't you remember his rookie season ? He was inactive for over half the season and much of that was his immaturity.

He was a 21 year old kid. Didn't turn 22 until the season was almost done. To his credit he realized his mistake and was a dedicated player thereafter from everything I have seen. The next season even Favre singled him out for his hard work.

Bretsky
09-25-2007, 11:53 PM

He was a 21 year old kid. Didn't turn 22 until the season was almost done. To his credit he realized his mistake and was a dedicated player thereafter from everything I have seen. The next season even Favre singled him out for his hard work.

Gosh you must be an oldie :wink:

I don't give out free passes for immaturity. Lots of young players come in here with good attitudes. Some with crappy ones. He was the latter.

GrnBay007
09-25-2007, 11:55 PM

I don't give out free passes for immaturity. Lots of young players come in here with good attitudes. Some with crappy ones. He was the latter.

You are blinded by your hatred for Fergy B. He didn't work out as a Packer, but he was NOT a jerk.

Patler
09-26-2007, 12:07 AM

Who said give him a free pass?
From all reports he let it get to his head for a few months, training camp until part way into the season. He made a mistake, realized it and corrected it. Should that be held against him forever?

Contrast his few months of immaturity, which hurt no one but himself, with some of the other athletes who never get it figured out.

Do you want every foolish thing you did in college or the summer after held against you forever? I know I don't.

Bretsky
09-26-2007, 12:10 AM

You are blinded by your hatred for Fergy B. He didn't work out as a Packer, but he was NOT a jerk.

That depends on your definition; by all accounts from what I've read year one he was a jerk as a teammate. Year two he gave it his all but it never worked for him

Patler
09-26-2007, 12:17 AM
That depends on your definition; by all accounts from what I've read year one he was a jerk as a teammate. Year two he gave it his all but it never worked for him

I never heard him referred to as a jerk as a teammate. All I ever heard was that he did not practice hard or study as much as he should have. He tried to take an easy way, of which, of course, there is none. Makes him lazy, not a jerk.

MadtownPacker
09-26-2007, 02:18 AM
Bretsky is being awfully harsh about Fergie's immaturity considering he is a mid-age perv. :)

Fergie's failure his last few years was due to being traumatized by darius and being unable to stay healthy. I dont want him to play good because of his new team but I dont recall him as a troublemaker.

RashanGary
09-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Bretsky, Fergi was always a good guy. He ddin't know how to be a pro right away but he learned. When I went to practice I always noticed that he was one of the hardest working guys on the field. I think that is why Sherman liked him. He gave his heart on every play. He just wasn't a good reciever.

We didn't get Chambers. OK, blame Sherman and Wolf for that but don't take it out on Fergi. He didn't do anything but give his best with a litle bump along the way.

Deputy Nutz
09-26-2007, 08:57 AM
The issue with Ferguson is he could never stay healthy which meant he could never be consistent. He was never more than a third option, his speed isn't there like it was on draft day and he was never a burner to begin with.

So if he doesn't have speed how is he going to beat Woodson? Woodson needs to keep his balance dealing with Ferguson, and to be honsest with you, Woodson would have a better day with Williamson who has nothing but speed.

Rastak
09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Now this is funny.

"He played 54, 55 plays. He stepped in, had no assignment errors," Vikings coach Brad Childress said.

Not having any errors is funny? You got a odd sense of humor Harv.

He didn't have a catch yet he was alone in the end zone and Holcomb overthrough him. How many balls were thrown his way?

RashanGary
09-26-2007, 07:47 PM
He didn't have a catch yet he was alone in the end zone and Holcomb overthrough him. How many balls were thrown his way?

This is the strange phenomenon with Robert Ferguson. Every ball somehow looks like it's over or underthrown with him. If Ferg is running a crossing route and the QB throws deep to avoid coverage, Ferg doesn't realize it and magically it looks like an overthrow. Sometimes a ball is underthrown and Ferg keeps running when he should slow down and catch it on his back shoulder.

He just has no instincts for the ball. I don't know how Holcomb missed him, but you are going to find that Fergy is a huge disappointment in anything he does. He has ZERO football instinct.

He's a hard worker, a good guy, a decent ST's player and a good blocker. He is a QB killer though. You'll grow quick distaste for him, I'm sure of that.

Rastak
09-26-2007, 07:58 PM

This is the strange phenomenon with Robert Ferguson. Every ball somehow looks like it's over or underthrown with him. If Ferg is running a crossing route and the QB throws deep to avoid coverage, Ferg doesn't realize it and magically it looks like an overthrow. Sometimes a ball is underthrown and Ferg keeps running when he should slow down and catch it on his back shoulder.

He just has no instincts for the ball. I don't know how Holcomb missed him, but you are going to find that Fergy is a huge disappointment in anything he does. He has ZERO football instinct.

He's a hard worker, a good guy, a decent ST's player and a good blocker. He is a QB killer though. You'll grow quick distaste for him, I'm sure of that.

Yea, don't misunderstand me, I ain't saying he's even good. He was overthrown though. Actually, I have heard that people think his ankle still ain't right even though he calls it 110%. You've seen him play much more than I have so I trust what you are saying.

Little Whiskey
09-26-2007, 08:58 PM
help the Vikings defensive coaches with his insight into the Packers' offense.

:lol: :lol: he didn't have insight when he was a packer

Scott Campbell
09-26-2007, 09:31 PM
He had people on the ropes."

Maybe a slight exaggeration. I don't think defenses are going to look at the schedule when they play the Vikes and say "Oh, damn, we're going against Robert Ferguson this week!"

He was talking about Fergy's blocking, and I don't think that was an exaggeration.

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Now this is funny.

Odd, my ass. When a starting WR has ZERO catches on 55 offensive plays (meaning he wasn't getting open), it's hilarious to hear a head coach talk about how assignment-sure he was.

gbgary
09-26-2007, 11:03 PM
other than with the gm or coaching staff, who did sharper and longwell have a problem with and/or visa-versa? i always thought they were well-liked, especially sharper. no?

Fritz
09-27-2007, 06:43 AM
I have nothing against Fergy, but he didn't live up to expectations, for whatever reason. And he does seem to not catch a lot of balls.

Rastak
09-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Now this is funny.

Odd, my ass. When a starting WR has ZERO catches on 55 offensive plays (meaning he wasn't getting open), it's hilarious to hear a head coach talk about how assignment-sure he was.

And how the hell do you know that mr smartypants..... :wink:

And you rate Mr Holcomb as a top rate qb always finding the open guy? Hmmmmmmmm? I assume you studied the tape deep into the night?
Saw that he was never open? Except when he could of had a picnic in the endzone because nobody was there to bother him.

:lol:

I didn't study the tape but I watched the game on TV. Even high def, the camera follows the action so I don't have any idea if he was covered on every play. How the hell could I? He could have been running free for all I know. Holcomb was pretty average last Sunday. I will say this in defense of your position, even if I have no idea where you got it from, on several plays Holcomb held the ball for a long time telling me NOBODY was open so that would include the fraud guy of which you speak. :)

Bretsky
09-27-2007, 07:02 AM
I have nothing against Fergy, but he didn't live up to expectations, for whatever reason. And he does seem to not catch a lot of balls.

Because he stinks

OS PA
09-27-2007, 07:22 AM
I can't wait to see Robert "Mr. Glass" Ferguson meet Atari "Attack" Bigby this week.. Should be a hell of a good time =).

Ferguson wasn't bad at what he did... causing turnovers and faking injuries.

Maxie the Taxi
09-27-2007, 07:40 AM
When Ferguson first came up I was impressed by his ability to catch the ball with his hands -- good hands. Plus he showed some speed and didn't hesitate to run slants across the middle. As time went on he lost something, maybe his nerve. I don't know. I wasn't sorry to see him leave.

KYPack
09-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Once Ferg was cut, I stopped caring about him.

It was a real joy to make the change to Ferg supporter to join the "get rid of Ferguson club". When he was young, he flashed some potential. They still replay that wild catch he made in the corner of the end zone against the Vikes. After awhile, you realized he couldn't get on the field & he couldn't be consistent.

Bye Ferg, Nice to see ya gone.

Bretsky
09-27-2007, 07:41 AM
I can't wait to see Robert "Mr. Glass" Ferguson meet Atari "Attack" Bigby this week.. Should be a hell of a good time =).

Ferguson wasn't bad at what he did... causing turnovers and faking injuries.

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Merlin
09-27-2007, 08:03 AM
other than with the gm or coaching staff, who did sharper and longwell have a problem with and/or visa-versa? i always thought they were well-liked, especially sharper. no?

Neither of them would ever say a player in particular or a person for that matter. They just refer to the whole Packers organization. However, Sharper is overly critical of Favre whenever Favre makes headlines. Sharpers issues go back to when he was drafted. He was drafted to replace Leroy Butler. Even though those were big shoes to fill, Sharper was always about Sharper. Leroy was always about the team and over-achieving. Butler wasn't a gifted athlete, he was blue collar and had to work hard. He was lucky to even be walking let alone playing in the NFL because of some childhood leg issues (I forget anymore what it was). Sharper on the other hand was a gifted athlete, he was just a selfish player. When he played well he made sure you knew it and when he screwed up, magically he would get injured. His interceptions, although many, were not so much because of his play but the play of those around him that allowed him to just sit back there, do nothing and wait for the QB to screw up. He isn't very good at jumping routes, tackling or coverage, he never had to be when he was here. We had a good defense while he was here except his last season where he was exposed and I might add, injured (what a shock).

Longwell's story is a little different. He wasn't supposed to make the team. He was signed off waivers from the 49er's in 1997 to give Brett Conway (our 3rd round pick) some competition. Conway got injured and the rest is history. Coincidently, Longwell and Sharper (our 2nd round pick in 1997) both joined the team the same year. Al Harris was picked by Tampa Bay in the 6th round in 1997. Longwell started out playing for a Super Bowl team and had a lot of success early on. Kickers as many people know, can play for many years in the NFL. Longwell is only in his 11th year and already looks the part of an aging veteran. It's hard to imagine that owns may Packer records and is the 5th most accurate kicker in NFL history. He once was the most accurate kicker. He was never known for his strong leg although he did pretty well from 50+ for a lot of years. Now, he would be lucky to hit from 50+ even in the dome. When Longwell started to decline, he blamed everyone but himself. His attitude was always about himself like Sharper. He never allowed Green Bay to counter the Vikings offer because he wanted somewhere to pad his stats for the rest of his career and have a better chance of doing it in the dome then at Lambeau. Kickers usually don't harbor resentments towards their past teams and I haven't heard Longwell really come out and slam anyone. He is a selfish player and that fits well with the team he is on.

Robert Ferguson was a 2001 2nd round pick by the Packers. He was injured in 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2006 (and in 2007 already). He was the type of player that would miss the ball thrown right at him but would make the catches that shouldn't have been made. His numbers were more like those of a tight end then of a receiver. He always talked the talk but when it came to backing it up he fell extremely short. The Packers showed plenty of patience with him and gave him every chance to step it up and he didn't. He always showed just enough spark to keep the coaches optimistic about him. He was always a team player and never got in the middle of the politics.

superfan
09-27-2007, 06:38 PM
I assume you studied the tape deep into the night?

I can't imagine watching that tape deep into the night unless it was being used for interrogation/torture purposes.

Rastak
09-28-2007, 06:48 AM
I assume you studied the tape deep into the night?

I can't imagine watching that tape deep into the night unless it was being used for interrogation/torture purposes.

Okay, I'll concede that point. :lol:

4and12to12and4
09-28-2007, 06:29 PM
All you Fergy bashers piss me off. Let it go. The guy was a model citizen, great teammate, busted his ass on ST. Blocked his ass off, and did his best. I wish him all the luck in the world. (Not this week of course). I hope he rebounds and finally becomes a good receiver. He's done everything possible to make this happen. And, you know what, if Favre would've thrown him the friggin' ball every once in a while, he might have had a better stay here in GB. Favre lost confidence early on him, and ignored him for four years. Well, he was injured most of that time anyways. Hey, this is a human being with a family, show some fucking dignity and quit bashing the guy, he was a very hard worker, and he deserves his day in the sun. We should be rooting for him, not making fun of him. Shame on all of you.

mission
09-28-2007, 06:45 PM
All you Fergy bashers piss me off. Let it go. The guy was a model citizen, great teammate, busted his ass on ST. Blocked his ass off, and did his best. I wish him all the luck in the world. (Not this week of course). I hope he rebounds and finally becomes a good receiver. He's done everything possible to make this happen. And, you know what, if Favre would've thrown him the friggin' ball every once in a while, he might have had a better stay here in GB. Favre lost confidence early on him, and ignored him for four years. Well, he was injured most of that time anyways. Hey, this is a human being with a family, show some fucking dignity and quit bashing the guy, he was a very hard worker, and he deserves his day in the sun. We should be rooting for him, not making fun of him. Shame on all of you.
Pass the weed buddy. ;)

This is the National Football League not the special olympics. Just because the guy worked hard doesnt mean shit. I work my ass off for a fraction of his salary and have yet to get a two man fanclub on PR.

Id love to see him get lit up by Bigby to be honest. We wasted too much time anrd money on this joker.

Bretsky
09-28-2007, 06:59 PM

I have to shame in still saying

Da Fraud Sucks :lol:

Merlin
09-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Ferguson just never had "it". He did work hard and was a great team player but he just doesn't have it. I wish it weren't true and to say I am glad he is gone, yes I am. He was not going to do anything for us so it was time to let him go. To say I am happy he is with the Vikings is an understatement. He will be the same guy with them and he will never produce to a high level.

Rastak
09-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Ferguson just never had "it". He did work hard and was a great team player but he just doesn't have it. I wish it weren't true and to say I am glad he is gone, yes I am. He was not going to do anything for us so it was time to let him go. To say I am happy he is with the Vikings is an understatement. He will be the same guy with them and he will never produce to a high level.

I'd say you are most likely correct, I figure the odds be 95%-5% you are right. He's been ok, but then again Chilfdress's offense has completely lost me so I have no clue who sucks now, the players or the offense.

4and12to12and4
09-28-2007, 11:19 PM
My point is that it seems everyone here revels in his failures and injuries. He's not a video personality. He's a real human being that gave all he had to our team and was never disruptive. It's not his fault he's injury prone. I personally feel sorry for the guy. We're suppose to be such great fans, and I think we are showing a lack of that by making fun of him and wishing him injury and laughing at his failure. It's heartless. Give the guy a break, he wanted to be a special part of this team's success year in and year out. Give the guy credit for busting his ass the whole time he was here, he did his best, rather than mock him and revel in his failure. It's meanhearted, and I don't think it's what we Packer fans should be like. We should support our team through good and bad, unless they just give half effort and are bad in the clubhouse, etc. I just wish everyone here would get off his back, and start empathising with this guy a bit. I hope him success because he's a nice guy and he tried his best. I don't think it's right to continue bashing the guy simply because he didn't meet your expectations. Do you do that with co workers who try hard but just can't get it done? If so, you're and asshole. So, show this guy some respect is all I'm saying. It's the least we can do. I'm pulling for him, and hope he can turn it around.