PDA

View Full Version : LBs Underrated?

HarveyWallbangers
05-06-2006, 01:27 AM
The Super Bowl Champions of this century:

New England - solid DL, but had exceptional LBs (Bruschi, McGinest, Vrabel, etc.)

Pittsburgh - solid DL, but had exceptional LBs (Porter, Farrior, Haggans, etc.)

Tampa Bay - exceptional DL, and solid LBs (led by Derrick Brooks)

Baltimore - solid DL, but had exceptional LBs (Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, etc.)

MadtownPacker
05-06-2006, 01:43 AM
Nice Harv. Real nice. Could the Polar Bear also have seen this?

What do you think BF4MVP?

Partial
05-06-2006, 03:47 AM
I think front 7 and the ability to get the passer while stopping the run and dropping into coverage is key. Front 7 for the win, baby.

That and OL.

Football is won in the trenches. Fundamentals win games.

Tarlam!
05-06-2006, 03:50 AM
'cept in the SB, that Safety from Pit (Polamalu??) was AWESOME.

He played just back from the LB's and they were like a front 8, but he was quick enough at reading the plays to get back and cover the pass.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-06-2006, 04:02 AM
The Super Bowl Champions of this century:

New England - solid DL, but had exceptional LBs (Bruschi, McGinest, Vrabel, etc.)

Pittsburgh - solid DL, but had exceptional LBs (Porter, Farrior, Haggans, etc.)

Tampa Bay - exceptional DL, and solid LBs (led by Derrick Brooks)

Baltimore - solid DL, but had exceptional LBs (Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware, etc.)

All except NE were one hit wonders. Pittsburgh is not going to repeat. They weren't even the best the team in the NFL last year. That title belongs to the Colts. However, Pitts were the luckiest, just as NE were for three years.

Being lucky is good; but that does not mean the team is good. NE would get its ass kicked by the Cowboys of the early 90s, 49ers of the late 80's, Pitts of the 70's and Packers of the 60's. Hell, the Favre led Packers of 96 and 97 could beat NE.

You knew luck was on NE's side when the tuck rule came into the picture.

LB is overrated, not underrated. S is the most important position on defense. CB is next and then DL, before LB.

FritzDontBlitz
05-06-2006, 04:34 AM
Being lucky is good; but that does not mean the team is good. NE would get its ass kicked by the Cowboys of the early 90s, 49ers of the late 80's, Pitts of the 70's and Packers of the 60's. Hell, the Favre led Packers of 96 and 97 could beat NE.

You knew luck was on NE's side when the tuck rule came into the picture.

LB is overrated, not underrated. S is the most important position on defense. CB is next and then DL, before LB.

wow.

how can one man's perspective be so lame?

Anti-Polar Bear
05-06-2006, 05:20 AM
wow.

LBs: Not big enough to to be DLmen, not fast enough to be DBs; not good enough to blitz on every down, not good enough to cover. LBs run like girls. Lewis, Brooks, Verba, Hawk, almost every one. Except for Urlacher. Urlacher was a former S so he knows how to run like a S.

Scott Campbell
05-06-2006, 09:44 AM
wow.

Maybe the drugs have something to do with it.

Partial
05-06-2006, 10:38 AM
wow.

LBs: Not big enough to to be DLmen, not fast enough to be DBs; not good enough to blitz on every down, not good enough to cover. LBs run like girls. Lewis, Brooks, Verba, Hawk, almost every one. Except for Urlacher. Urlacher was a former S so he knows how to run like a S.

AJ Hawk is every bit as fast as Urlacher, in fact even faster in the 20 yard dash.

RashanGary
05-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Partial,

Who where you at the other forum????

RashanGary
05-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Benson got 30 mil over 5 years last year. The cap went up about 18%..I'm to lazy to acctually check the exact number....

Anyway, the point of the story is that Hawk should recieve about 7 mil per year. Holy shit. It's a good thing we didn't pick any higher.

I'm thinking he'll get just under 7 per. That is Woodson/KGB money. Not that I'm complaining but WOW that is a lot for a guy who's never played a down.

Mario is getting 9 per year. That is Brett Favre money just as an example. Thanks, but no thanks.

mraynrand
05-06-2006, 10:58 AM
I think I'd rate DE, CB, LB, S, DT, in that order of importance for defensive positions. You can build a good D around solid DTs and LBs, but If you can pressure the QB either with some combination of good DE play and shut down CB play, that's most of the battle.

No Mo Moss
05-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I think if you have those exceptional LBs, sometimes you can get away with just a good D-line. Well I agree it's all about pressure on the QB, most of the exceptional LBs are also great blitzers so you can kind of help out on the line.

Partial
05-06-2006, 11:02 AM
I'd say DE, DT, CB, S, LB in that order

oregonpackfan
05-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Interesting observation on the importance of LB's for great teams.

During the Lombardi great years, they had solid defenses but it was their LB's and DB's who really stood out.

the LB's were Ray Nitschke, Dave Robinson, and Leroy Caffey.

the DB's were Herb Adderly, Bob Jeter, and Willie Wood.

Willie Davis was an outstanding DE but some of the other D-lineman like Henry Jordan, Ron Kostelnick were above average but hardly outstanding.

Oregonpackfan