PDA

View Full Version : Article--Super Thoughts?

MJZiggy
09-26-2007, 12:08 PM
by PackerBlues

It is really not that far fetched to think that we could see Green Bay playing in Super Bowl XLII. Right now, there is not a single team in the NFC that Green Bay cannot beat. Looking at their schedule, making the playoffs...

Wanna read more? Check it out here (www.packerrats.com)

3irty1
09-26-2007, 02:36 PM
by PackerBlues

It is really not that far fetched to think that we could see Green Bay playing in Super Bowl XLII. Right now, there is not a single team in the NFC that Green Bay cannot beat. Looking at their schedule, making the playoffs...

Wanna read more? Check it out here (www.packerrats.com)

You are totally jumping the gun and I love it. I'm on board.

hoosier
09-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but this Super Bowl stuff is going to sound kind of silly if GB loses 2 of the next 3, which to my thinking is no more far fetched than any other scenario. Enjoy it while it lasts, but don't crash too hard when they come back to earth.

oregonpackfan
09-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Whoa, Nellies! :)

I love the enthusiasm and I also love the way the Packers are 3-0 BUT
the season is still very young. Not even 25% of the games have been played yet.

There are many, many variables to consider before we start talking about SB chances--getting a consistent running game, avoiding injuries to key players, keeping momentum. etc.

Let us see how the Packers are doing when about 3/4 of the season is over.

fan4life
09-26-2007, 04:25 PM
As of this week, Green Bay has found a way to beat the last 7 opponents it has faced. I will continue to believe they can beat all comers, until they lose.

LL2
09-26-2007, 05:39 PM
As of this week, Green Bay has found a way to beat the last 7 opponents it has faced. I will continue to believe they can beat all comers, until they lose.

What are the odds of making the SB if we start 5-0?

hoosier
09-26-2007, 06:54 PM

What are the odds of making the SB if we start 5-0?

50/50. Either they do or they don't.

vince
09-26-2007, 06:54 PM
I love to see you step out there with a bold prediction, Blues, and you may very well be right. These guys do look like they have strong chemistry.

I'd say they definitely need to stay practically 100% healthy to have any shot. That's hard to do.

I'm sticking to my prediction of playoffs this year, and Super Bowl in '08.

b bulldog
09-26-2007, 08:32 PM
A tad premature but I like the optimism.

RashanGary
09-26-2007, 08:34 PM
We have to hope the Pats and Colts get knicked up at important positions. We have a real chance in the NFC but to win the SB, it's going to take a little luck.

b bulldog
09-26-2007, 08:55 PM
I think the Steelers are way underrated and the top 3 in the afc would destroy any NFC team but that is also what was said when we played denver in the sb except the nfc was the power than.

Scott Campbell
09-26-2007, 09:26 PM
I believe Greenspan called it "irrational exuberance".

MJZiggy
09-26-2007, 09:29 PM
I believe Greenspan called it "irrational exuberance".

After this offseason, I'll take it for a while.

Carolina_Packer
09-26-2007, 10:08 PM
The road to the Super Bowl goes through....

Minneapolis
Denver
Kansas City
Detroit
Dallas
St. Louis
Chicago

I am loving this year, and living in the moment. Go Pack Go! Don't get too high, don't get too low, just keep your eye on what's right in front of you.

Merlin
09-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Although I appreciate the enthusiasm, can I also have some of what you're smoking? It's WAY too early to be thinking Division championship let alone Super Bowl. The Eagles are the only team we beat that has a legitimate shot right now and even they look to be an up and down team this year. The Giants suck and badly. The Chargers looked horrible against New England but outside of two key plays the entire game, they beat us. We haven't played one division game yet and even though the Lions and Vikings stink, we usually don't play very well in the dome or on Thanksgiving. Dallas hasn't played anyone either. Chicago started Rex, enough said. Right now, the NFC is an embarrassment because there is not one team that stands out. Look at the statistics and show me the powerhouse? Our defense is average and our offense is below average because we have zero running game. Special teams has stepped it up but show me where there is hope with an average team to be in the Super Bowl? Dallas has no defense so they aren't going anywhere either. This year will be full of parody and unfortunately the Packers are right in the middle of it.

Bretsky
09-27-2007, 07:47 AM
Who kidnapped the real Packerblues and wrote this article :?: :lol:

PackerBlues
09-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Although I appreciate the enthusiasm, can I also have some of what you're smoking?

heh heh......Merlin, buddy....... ya know I would share with ya if I had any left, lol......but I used it all up when I wrote all that. :satan: :smk:

LL2
09-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Although I appreciate the enthusiasm, can I also have some of what you're smoking? It's WAY too early to be thinking Division championship let alone Super Bowl. The Eagles are the only team we beat that has a legitimate shot right now and even they look to be an up and down team this year. The Giants suck and badly. The Chargers looked horrible against New England but outside of two key plays the entire game, they beat us. We haven't played one division game yet and even though the Lions and Vikings stink, we usually don't play very well in the dome or on Thanksgiving. Dallas hasn't played anyone either. Chicago started Rex, enough said. Right now, the NFC is an embarrassment because there is not one team that stands out. Look at the statistics and show me the powerhouse? Our defense is average and our offense is below average because we have zero running game. Special teams has stepped it up but show me where there is hope with an average team to be in the Super Bowl? Dallas has no defense so they aren't going anywhere either. This year will be full of parody and unfortunately the Packers are right in the middle of it.

Hey have a Lienenkugel and enjoy the ride. No needs to analyze in this thread. Just say Cheers!

GBRulz
09-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I just want to see continual improvement like we've been seeing. What makes me sick is how inconsistent we've been (previous years). You play awesome one week, then lay an egg the next. I really like M3's philosophy of taking one week at a time and not looking past anyone.

As far as SB thoughts go, well...I might be singing a different tune but I'm afraid that our running game, or lack of, is going to catch up to us sooner than we think. I hope that it starts to click....and soon.

Merlin
09-27-2007, 09:01 PM
I agree. I would love to see continual improvement and taking one game at a time, no matter what our record is. We should play every game like it's the Super Bowl as far as I am concerned. Right now looking out into the NFC, there isn't a team that stands out. Dalls has a high powered offense and a dismal defense. The Eagles showed they aren't out yet trouncing the Lions. I think the Bears will bounce back but I don't think they will be much of a contender. The biggest problem we face right now is ourselves. If we can limit our turnovers I think we can make a good run into the playoffs. We beat an okay AFC team in the Chargers. We should match up well against the AFC West this season. So there is reason to be optimistic. Right now it appears only we can beat ourselves and God only knows we have done that a lot in the past.

b bulldog
09-27-2007, 09:27 PM
The running game will be the achilles heal of this team against the better teams in the league.

PackerBlues
09-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Try to keep in mind here that I am the great pessimist in these forums, lol. I think M3 has proven, especially against SanDiego, that he knows that the run game is not where it needs to be, to be effective. So far, he has put the games in Brett's hands, and it has worked. There may be games that it will bite us in the ass. For instance, M3 might instruct Favre not to throw in Sharper's direction this week. Personally, I fully expect Favre to try to get one against Sharper, and would be very surprised if he didn't try to make Sharper look like a chump if given even half a chance. So, yes, putting games in Favres hands may be risky early in the season, but also keep in mind that Favre wants to go out a winner, and regardless of his coming back next year or not, I expect him to play a little safer than his gunslinger image suggests that he would.

We have also seen the return of the "dink and dunk" play calling that allows Favre more options in the passing game. Short yardage passing that helps open the opposing defense up to the rare long yardage pass. A screwed up assignment by Wynn has brought back the shovel pass, lol.......in the Chargers game, I saw more of it than I wanted to. Also, the TE's are getting used effectively. Wherever there is a mismatch, M3 will have a game plan in place to have our passing game take advantage.

I fully expect the Packers run game to get better. I also expect it to show up when we the fans, and the Packers opponents least expect it.

I do honestly believe that with the right game planning, and with Favre playing within the limits of the game plan, that this Packer team can beat any team in the NFC. During the regular season with the parity in the league now, they can afford to lose a couple of games to make the playoffs. In the playoffs, I would expect that we would have a running game in place by then, and if not.........well hell, if they go all the way to the playoffs without it, then why not continue to the SB without it also?

The Super Bowl will be against NE, I am as sure about that, as I am about anything. Nobody can defend against Moss very well, and to have a chance to beat a team like NE, we are going to need to see the Packers putting up points as the TEAM that we know they are. An all around effort with great returns from special teams, and the Defense will have to play at a new level. Can they win such a game? Who knows, but I do have faith that this Packer team can make it there!!!!

woodbuck27
09-29-2007, 03:47 AM
I love to see you step out there with a bold prediction, Blues, and you may very well be right. These guys do look like they have strong chemistry.

I'd say they definitely need to stay practically 100% healthy to have any shot. That's hard to do.

Good for you Vince and 2008 would be super but TT has to give us a running game. Do you recall that. . . . that is impotant. . .huuuuh. :)

vince
09-29-2007, 07:46 AM

Good for you Vince and 2008 would be super but TT has to give us a running game. Do you recall that. . . . that is impotant. . .huuuuh. :)
We'll see how important it is. I think we'll be able to run enough to get the wins necessary to make the playoffs. The majority of the teams we face this year, including the three teams we've faced (and beat) thus far are more stout against the run than average, so we'll likely lean toward what will give us the best chance to win.

There are 3 or 4 teams we face that are weak against the run, including the Lions. Against those teams, I think we'll show some running ability.

It's all about the bottom line though Woody. You say we can't win without an effective running game. I say look at the team so far and see how they've won. I expect that'll continue, and that the running game will be effective enough to help us get enough wins to make the playoffs.

RashanGary
09-29-2007, 09:14 AM
I could see the running game improving as well. They looked awfull in week 1. They got some things going in week 2 but had really bad missed assignments. In week 3 they had some nice runs and stopped the assignment errors. They havn't commited to the run yet and there is no need to if you can take advantage of a teams weaknesses.

I don't see the Packers running very much this week or next week against the Bears injury riddled secondary. Eventually we'll have to run though. I just hope we keep seeing the continual signs of improvement in excecution so that when we really need it, we have it.