PDA

View Full Version : To early to know if pack is back.

wpony
09-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Hi everyone I read alot more than I post here long time reader though LOL. I am a old time packer fan I remember the yrs that the pack couldn't hardly win a game but its the packers so its all good :D Here is my thoughts on the packers, I know they are playing very good right The chemistry is great but what I am worried about is this we are a team full of very good young players right now that are playing on high emotions and we have the winning mind set right now , what happens after we have a disappointing loss,, will the young players loose any confidence or start doubting themselves? If Mike and Brett can keep them from doing that I think we will win our Division by 3 games at least if not it will be a toss up . Thank goodness we do have Brett but I believe if we would have signed a couple more veterans from teams that had winning seasons it would have helped to keep the young players on the winning mind set .
I believe we will make the playoffs even though I am not sure how far we will go lets sit back and enjoy the ride I think it might get wild before it is over this YR. :wave: GO PACK GO

Packnut
09-26-2007, 04:01 PM
You've hit on the million dollar question. We have a ton of youth and in-experience, but also as you stated we do have Brett Favre and he'll make the difference.

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Nobody really knows how they will respond. I think the fact they fought back from 4-8 last year bolds well. Personally, I don't think they are talented enough to become a contender yet, but I do think that my preseason prediction of 8-8 is going to be blow. I'm happy about that. I'm going to enjoy the ride while it lasts. I'll tell you what, if we can win the next two weeks, I'll start thinking that we have a shot in the watered down NFC.

MJZiggy
09-26-2007, 04:03 PM
But there's something else this year. We had inexperience + Brett Favre in 2005 and we went 4-12. There's something different this time around.

CaliforniaCheez
09-26-2007, 05:19 PM
But there's something else this year. We had inexperience + Brett Favre in 2005 and we went 4-12. There's something different this time around.

Since 05 the Packers had a good draft class in 2006. Jones and Hall were added this year. Bigby got some training and someone lit a fire under Bubba. Pickett and Woodson were signed.

Some trouble makers departed.

Experience comes from playing and the team will get better with this experience.

packinpatland
09-26-2007, 05:41 PM
"what happens after we have a disappointing loss,, will the young players loose any confidence or start doubting themselves? "

My opinion is that these guys are no longer rookies. Plus the fact that most played college ball for big time schools, they know what it's like to loose a game and have to come back. They have the added bonus of playing with guys with years of experience. I think The Pack Is Back.

LEWCWA
09-26-2007, 06:56 PM
This team has plenty of vetrans to keep things on an even keel! Favre, Driver, Bubba, Harris, Woodson, Barnett, Davis, Clifton, Tauch. How many to you really need?

MJZiggy
09-26-2007, 07:34 PM
If they come back the way they did last year I think they'll be fine.

ZachMN
09-26-2007, 07:43 PM
We also have a kick ass coach, I like what I am seeing from MM. I think he has been perfect. Sherman had a malaise around him which seems to be gone. MM doesn't seem to be the type with putting up with bs for very long and seems to be able to correct things.

Harlan Huckleby
09-26-2007, 08:21 PM
They need one (1) running back who can do some damage or they won't go deep into playoffs.

I don't see that guy yet. I expect the Oline will be OK, especially since they've shown they've can pass block.

mmmdk
09-26-2007, 08:22 PM
We also have a kick ass coach, I like what I am seeing from MM. I think he has been perfect. Sherman had a malaise around him which seems to be gone. MM doesn't seem to be the type with putting up with bs for very long and seems to be able to correct things.

Man, I'm still a wee bit harsh on McCarthy but that's a good thing - I was skeptical of Holmgren too 8-)

mmmdk
09-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Man, I'm still a wee bit harsh on McCarthy but that's a good thing - I was skeptical of Holmgren too 8-)

I wasn't totally sold on Holmgren until 1995 where the Packers came damn close to getting to the SB. 1995 is an underrated season. I was down on Holmy after '94 due to yet another 9-7 season plus getting blown away by Dallas in playoffs.

RashanGary
09-26-2007, 08:32 PM
The scary thing is that this team has more young players than any team in the league. Using a logic that Vince patented; the youngest team should be the team with the most room for improvement and the Packers being the youngest team, they should take some of the biggest steps.

They are back. They'll have some bumps in the road, but I think this is a team that will play good enough ST's and denfense to get into the playoffs and develop the consistant offense to make hay when they get there. I think they are back. I didn't expect them to win like this out of gates, but I think you could see the good coming.

b bulldog
09-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Nick your correct about getting better with time but the kids could also have some youthful mistakes also that could hurt us this season. I love watching this team, the kids are hungry and Brett wants to see them fed.

RashanGary
09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Nick your correct about getting better with time but the kids could also have some youthful mistakes also that could hurt us this season. I love watching this team, the kids are hungry and Brett wants to see them fed.

I'm thinking that they will play their best football in December and into the playoffs because that is when the youth should be in sync. I really see this team as having a shot because of that. They are good now with the mistakes. Wait till they iron some of that out.

Carolina_Packer
09-26-2007, 08:49 PM
It's a fantastic start, but I don't want to talk about any post season or being back just yet. I know it's boring, but let's put our blinders on and live for each game and not think ahead. There's still 13 games left, and I hope they can keep bringing this kind of effort each week. No doubt they will have a strange loss or two, perhaps even another thrilling win or two, but through it all, I hope that they keep growing as a team and playing with confidence no matter what happens. Good health to them too!

MadtownPacker
09-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Agree with Caroliina, dont count your chickens before they are hatched.

Joemailman
09-26-2007, 09:19 PM
The next 2 weeks the Packers will be playing division rivals who need the game more than the Packers do. If the Packers match the intensity of the teams they are about to face and defeat them, it will be hard to deny that they are a serious NFC contender.

Bretsky
09-26-2007, 11:35 PM

If your memory serves you correctly, you would remember one huge difference was massive injuries to nearly everybody on offense in 05 but Favre

Other difference is our defense is much better now

GrnBay007
09-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Something really cool and unexpected is going on this season for the Packers and it's very exciting so far.

My biggest fear is that Brett goes far enough into the playoffs....or eeek, the "Biggy" game and I didn't get to see a game this season at Lambeau!!!

MJZiggy
09-27-2007, 08:41 AM

If your memory serves you correctly, you would remember one huge difference was massive injuries to nearly everybody on offense in 05 but Favre

Other difference is our defense is much better now

Isn't that where the inexperience came from? You're right about the defense. They are coming together in incredibly.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-27-2007, 09:29 AM
This kind of goes back to my assessment of TT. It is kind of unbelievable how he has added so much young talent in such a short time and I praise him for that. But look how good we are, if we had some good talented vets in one or two more positions why can't we make a run in the NFC?

I predicted 11-5 and I still believe we are going 11-5, but we really need a young back step up big time. If Favre is ever going to go out with a super bowl win, this is the year. I do believe this team has a lot of good vets, but will the one or two weaknesses on are team prevent us from going all the way? I hope not.

Scott Campbell
09-27-2007, 09:16 PM
I predicted 11-5 and I still believe we are going 11-5........

As crazy as that sounded a month ago, the team only needs to go 8-5 the rest of way to live up to your prediction.

cheesner
09-27-2007, 09:44 PM
The Packers suffered a couple humiliating defeats last year that made them look pathetic. But you could see that even as bad as it was the team improved each week. The only way you do that is you work hard in the face of the adversity. The only players who do that are the high character players - which I believe the Packers many. The Pack will weather the storm if an ugly loss comes along this season.

Although we are 3-0, none of those were easy, we dominated nobody. I don't think their record is going to there heads just yet.

The Leaper
09-28-2007, 08:16 AM
This kind of goes back to my assessment of TT. It is kind of unbelievable how he has added so much young talent in such a short time and I praise him for that. But look how good we are, if we had some good talented vets in one or two more positions why can't we make a run in the NFC?

It is difficult to pull in veterans and get things to work out. Sure, it happens with the Patriots...but they have a solid base already built of veteran leadership. More often than not, acclimating FA vets to a roster takes about half a year.

Personally, I feel Thompson is nuts for not trying to use some of that cap space...but after seeing the results so far, it is hard to argue with his logic. The young kids are gaining valuable experience and confidence right now, which will pay far greater dividends down the road than an aging veteran would.