PDA

View Full Version : INSIDE FOOTBALL with Eric Baranczyk: Week 3

motife
09-26-2007, 09:57 PM
INSIDE FOOTBALL with Eric Baranczyk: Week 3
Posted: Sept. 25, 2007
As told to former Packer Insider columnist Cliff Christl, Eric Baranczyk, an assistant high school football coach and a former player and coach at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, offers a weekly analysis of the Green Bay Packers with a Inside Football slant.

Linebackers on Antonio Gates
I think the linebackers are better than advertised. I thought their coverage on Antonio Gates was as good as it's going to get. Unless you put a cornerback on Gates, you're not going to shut him down and even then you might not. I think his two biggest gains came against Nick Collins and Jarrett Bush. Primarily, A.J. Hawk was the one running with him and I thought that was pretty good for a linebacker. That's a tough matchup for anybody. Gates is going to catch the ball. What impresses me is that he didn't just run free. For the most part, he got tackled right away. And that's all you can ask of your linebackers. Hawk has pass responsibility, but he also has run responsibilities. So that's a tough job for a linebacker.

A.J. Hawk
That's why, despite what some people might be saying, I think Hawk is playing well. He took a bad angle or two against some run plays, but that happens early in games, especially against a back like LaDainian Tomlinson. In practice, you can simulate what a guy's speed is. But until you're out on the field and see a guy running, they're going to get one on you. And shame on you. But it didn't happen continuously during the game. I think Hawk is sure on his responsibilities. And I think they should blitz him more than Barnett. I think he's faster. Last year early in the season when Hawk blitzed, he just ran into blockers. Now, he's getting into the backfield. He's not finishing the sack. But a lot of times when you're just getting in there that's when the quarterback is throwing it up. I don't think Hawk is tapped out yet. I still think he's going to improve. They don't play him like Shawne Merriman. They don't put him on the edge and tell him to go rush the passer. They ask him to do a lot of things the Chargers don't ask Merriman to do. The Packers ask Hawk to cover backs, cover tight ends downfield and they also ask him to have primary contain on a lot of running plays. I think he's playing as good or better than he did at the end of last season.

Nick Barnett
Boy, they used Nick Barnett properly. They were blitzing on first- and second-down, making those offensive linemen work. And I thought Barnett was pretty sure tackling. It's one thing to get there; it's another thing to finish. The more I watched the tape, the more I gained an appreciation for how good that linebacking corps is. You've got Brady Poppinga going in there and taking on blocks, taking on that fullback and neutralizing him. Then, you've got Barnett coming in and cleaning up on the running back. On that whole last drive at the end, you're thinking, "Interception, interception;" that that was what they needed and then it came. That's a big-time play by Barnett. Maybe that's one more step in the right direction for those guys. They have to make big plays. In the past, I felt Barnett missed a lot of tackles. And you're still going to miss tackles when you're around the ball a lot, like he is. But I just think he has done a better job of coming to balance and making the play right there. That's maturity.

Brady Poppinga
Poppinga's forte is his physical presence. When they want to run it, he's there to jam up the hole. He's not someone you want covering a slot receiver. I just don't think his hips are good enough to turn and run with those guys. But on plays straight at him, he's pretty darn good. I wouldn't say he's as good as Wayne Simmons was when he played that spot, but I think Poppinga might be getting close. Just look at the way he takes on blockers. He blows them up.

Defensive line
That defensive line really moves well. Cullen Jenkins, for how big he is, has that first step that's very explosive, great hands. He isn't getting the sacks right now and that 290-pound tight end, Brandon Manumaleuna, blocked down and pinched him inside maybe a couple times. But Jenkins doesn't make stupid mistakes and he doesn't get out of position. He's almost always where he's supposed to be. For how big Johnny Jolly is, he moves pretty darn well. That first game, Ryan Pickett didn't show much lateral ability. But, man, he's just an anchor. Sunday, he just kept the point of attack and didn't get driven back very often. Everybody does once or twice. But he was right there and got off blocks at the right time. That whole front seven did a great job. The Packers ran a lot of stunts inside and were exiting in and out with their backers, and the Chargers' offensive line was off-balance all day. It was a good game plan. And I think KGB is really doing well in his new role. Not being on the field all the time is to his advantage, especially late in the game. When the offensive tackles are getting tired, he's still fresh. He got caught inside against the run a couple times like he always did. Maybe he's thinking he's a pass rusher and that's it now, and he got sloppy with his technique.

Al Harris and Charles Woodson
The starting cornerbacks are doing awesome on the downfield receivers. They hit that one pass to Vincent Jackson over Al Harris for a touchdown, but that was good coverage. And even Charles Woodson filled on the run. He's not a banger, but he came in and laid the wood a couple plays, too. What you want from your corners is that every pass is contested. You can't take anything away from what Phillip Rivers did in the first half. There were guys all around him and he just stood in the pocket and threw the ball. That pass Harris got beat on was just an awesome pass and a good catch. The ball was in the perfect spot. Quarterbacks are going to pass for 50, 60%, but the receivers are being contested. It's not like last year when guys were running wide open. With Harris and Woodson, the Packers can send a backer or bring the safety up. The Packers played a lot of cover two because there were a lot of second-and-long and third-and-long situations, but the Packers can do a lot of different things because of those corners. They can put that dreaded eighth man in the box or send (Atari) Bigby or blitz backers.

Atari Bigby
I thought Bigby had another nice game. I like the way he fills on the run. He steps up and makes plays. He tackles low. He doesn't come up and hit someone, and then the guy makes another two yards. He tackles them and they're done right there.

Jarrett Bush
Bush looks like another one of those: "He's what you get with a nickel back." Why isn't Will Blackmon playing? I don't think Bush is as fast and I think he gets in bad position. I think sometimes he turns his hips too soon and he's a little slow on the turn of his shoulders, and that hurts him. He over-commits.

Donald Driver
Donald Driver gets leveled and he just keeps coming back. He's like the Energizer Bunny. He doesn't stop.

Bubba Franks
Bubba Franks, hands down, is playing better than he did last year, but he has to make that catch in the end zone.

Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher
I've been harsh on Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher for their run blocking, but they had a fantastic game pass blocking. The Packers did a nice job scheming against Merriman. They ran that double tight with a double flanker, so Merriman automatically had to line up to the outside just for run support. So that meant he had to take an extra two steps to get to the quarterback. That gave Clifton a better angle. He could wait for Merriman to get to him. He didn't have to go out and get him. It pretty much eliminates the possibility of Clifton getting beat off the edge. They did that the first play of the game and ran it throughout the game. They also never had a back blocking Merriman singly. It was always a lineman, two linemen, a lineman and a back. As pass blockers, Clifton and Tauscher are a pretty darn good tandem. Tauscher doesn't have an Adonis body, but, man, he moves his feet so well. And Clifton has such long reach, it's tough to just speed rush past him. But the Packers just can't run the ball because they can't cut off backside pursuit. Pass blocking, all five of the linemen did a pretty darn good job.

Brett Favre
I don't know if Favre has more weapons in the passing game this year or if he's more focused or what - in the first game, he sprayed the ball around - but the last two games, he has been right there. He's threading the needle and just drilling throws. It's pretty impressive. Something is different there. He has James Jones now. Driver is still there. Greg Jennings is back. Bubba Franks and Donald Lee are both catching the ball. Maybe that's it.

Greg Jennings
Where did Jennings get those wheels? Holy cow! Was that a nice play! He ran away from guys at the end. Maybe he has fresher legs. Maybe with that ankle last year, you forgot that he had a little burst. But he showed flat-line speed at the end.

KYPack
09-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Post this guy's stuff every week, if you can motife. He is flat out my favorite analyst.

Many times I read stuff like this from other writers and agree with about 30% of it. Not Eric B, he covers the details and provides some great insights.

mission
09-26-2007, 11:43 PM
yes please do! Great read. Very knowledgable. I had a chance to go to football camp in high school at UWL while they were "recruiting" me and had a lot of exposure to eric. He's a great guy and really knows his shit. Wherever he is coaching high school ball... Well, those are some lucky kids. He's a passionate dude!

Harlan Huckleby
09-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Very insightful, very much a homer.

BlueBrewer
09-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I went to college in LaCrosse with his brother. I cheated off him in Econ. Thats all I have to say about that....

rbaloha1
09-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Keep posting.

Better than the skeptical, condesending, arrogant, f%*@(d sportswriters always seeking a negative spin.

GO PACK GO

Spaulding
09-27-2007, 02:28 PM
This is turning in a LaCrosse Indians (wait, I've dated myself with that statement) no, LaCrosse Eagles Alumni thread. If so count me in. Too bad the bottles and Bernie are no longer. Whose up for Tuesday night quarter pitchers are Broadway Joes??

Miss those days....