PDA

View Full Version : The Receiver

Anti-Polar Bear
05-06-2006, 06:03 AM
If Thompson thinks Pack are set at WR with Feguson, Boerigter, Gardner, the rookie and the other rookie playing along side Driver, then it would do the Pack good just to bring back Bill Schroeder and Antonio Freeman.

Any GM with $35 M should be able to sign at least one of these player:
T. Owens
K. Johnson
A. Byrant
J. Jurevicius
A. Randel El
And trade for Randy Moss

Any GM not named Ted Thompson, that is.

Because Ted Thompson is such a terrible GM and as a last resort, for the Packers to maximize their talent at WR, Thompson needs to sign:

David Boston

Just do it, thompson.

dr.tedGM
05-06-2006, 06:50 AM
The Packers should trade anti-polar bear for a reciever to be named later. It would be interesting to see what they could get in return.

motife
05-06-2006, 06:59 AM
tank has been consistent with his concerns about the wideouts all offseason, which could be the 2006 Achilles heel as the OL was in 2005. Favre has played with less, some say, but it's hard to remember when. Schroeder would be an upgrade on this unit.

WR coach Jimmy Robinson said his big challenge is to get the slow footed Rod Gardener back to playing at a high level.

Boetringer could be a poor man's Jurevicious but he has zero track record.

I agree with Bretsky that Ferguson is toast. He's played scared since the Darius injury, and has never shown more than tantalizing flashes. Particularly infuriating was allowing at least 3 interceptions last year by not aggressively going for the ball, at least batting it down, when a defender had a bead on it.

Bubba Franks is a stationary target, rarely catches anything in full stride.

Donald Lee could be a big plus this year. He plays like he owns the place, no apologies. I like him.

The season may hinge on Greg Jennings, whether he'll be another Chris Chambers, (or Chamber's doppleganger Robert Ferguson).

God, I hate to see Favre waste his talent with a bunch of stiffs.

I do have some hopes for the offensive line playing a little better, but that too makes for a lost opportunity if it and the RB's don't pan out.

Watched the San Francisco/ Arizona game from Mexico City last night with an eye to what to expect from Mike McCarthy's offense. Tim Rattay was QB. Don't know what to say. Does look West Coast. The 49ers were short talent also.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-06-2006, 07:22 AM
Good post, motife.

mraynrand
05-06-2006, 08:16 AM
The rec. corps this year is no worse than 2001. 2001 was before the emergence of Driver, Freeman was a baked cow turd,and Schroeder was what he always was - a straight-line runner always looking for a way to lie down after a catch or get out of bounds (In fact, Schroeder led the league in 'BACs' - bailouts after catch). Green was the team's number one receiver for the second straight year. The Packers can win with this receiving crew - but you're right APB (all points bulletin?) - if one of Jennings, Gardner or Boerichter don't emerge as a solid number 2 receiver (or #1), there's no chance of this team winning more than 9 games. But I don't think a malcontent like Boston, with his physical problems and steroid abuse, is any answer.

RashanGary
05-06-2006, 08:25 AM
I think we are better at WR than last year. Walker went out after game one and after that we were done. This year, we have Jennings *Impressed more in one minicamp than Murphy or Ferguson ever did*, Gardner, Ferguson, Rodgers, Boerigter..........

I know none of them are game breakers but they can move the chains.

RashanGary
05-06-2006, 08:28 AM
wrong thread.....

Scott Campbell
05-06-2006, 09:34 AM
I think we are better at WR than last year. Walker went out after game one and after that we were done. This year, we have Jennings *Impressed more in one minicamp than Murphy or Ferguson ever did*, Gardner, Ferguson, Rodgers, Boerigter..........

I know none of them are game breakers but they can move the chains.

Murphy impressed in training camp last year too. You might be jumping the gun a bit on Jennings. It's early, real early.

RashanGary
05-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Ferguson had some real value as a gunner and on kick coverage. His ball skills suck so he's not as effective as a WR. I think we need to take advantage of what he does offer and have him covering every kick.

He was a difference maker on special teams. Why they took him off of that is beyond me.

Bretsky
05-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Ferguson had some real value as a gunner and on kick coverage. His ball skills suck so he's not as effective as a WR. I think we need to take advantage of what he does offer and have him covering every kick.

He was a difference maker on special teams. Why they took him off of that is beyond me.

I agree Nick; they gave him a shot to be a WR and he's not one. Take him for what he is..................a special teams ace making 2,800,000 a year. ouch

MadtownPacker
05-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Murphy impressed in training camp last year too. You might be jumping the gun a bit on Jennings. It's early, real early.

Yeah but Murphy also impressed in the limited action he saw during games until he got hurt. Jennings is a perfect fit for this O and as long as his hands and feet work you know Favre is gonna get it to him. I am on record as a Jennings supporter since last weekend. I got a good feeling about him and as long as his spine isnt narrow too he is gonna be good.

RashanGary
05-06-2006, 11:41 AM
I like Jennings better than Murphy. The were pretty similar in strait line speed but Jennings is quicker and has better body control and hands which is really, really important. Look at Boldin. He's a 4.7 guy but he's just a natural pass catcher. Jennings is kind of like that except that he's fast too.

I'm not saying he's going to be as good as Boldin because they are very different players. Boldin is big and can keep defenders away from his body. Jennings is faster and quicker so he can create separation. The comparision is that they both have a feel for how to get in position to make the catch.

Tarlam!
05-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah but Murphy also impressed in the limited action he saw during games until he got hurt.

Yeah, this is true. I was really high on Murphy, every time he got a chance, he seemed to be improving. His learning curve was steep as can be.

RashanGary
05-06-2006, 11:49 AM
I remember Antonio Freeman in his second stint on the team. He was just washed up but he managed to catch a few dozen NFL passes.

One play that stood out was in the red-zone. He ran out and started to do an up and in......He kind of slowed down like the play was over and as soon as he saw the defender get lax, he cut back to the outside and caught a Favre bullet.

He was so slow in his cut, it looked like he didn't belong but he made the touchdown catch and could probably still do it today. In his prime he was a good athlete but it was the feel he had for the game that made him the productive player he was and still could be even after his physical skills erroded.

Jennings has that little something. That feel for the game and that feel for getting himself in position. Ferguson is an example of a guy who just doesn't have that "it". Murphy had "it" but not to the degree of Jennings. I watched as much Jennings tape as possible and he reminds me a little of Steve Smith. A little of Freeman, but I think his work ethic could make him special. Not unstoppable special like Javon but productive special like AF or DD.

Partial
05-06-2006, 12:25 PM
not to beat the dead horse collins, but thats why you gotta go with the ballers rather than the athletes. I think Jennings is going to be very good too. You don't put up those kind of numbers in college and completely fail in the NFL. I think he'll be a good number 2!