PDA

View Full Version : darren "4th down" sharper running his mouth again

MadtownPacker
09-27-2007, 02:07 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=667967

Former Packers safety Darren Sharper said the Vikings are well aware that quarterback Brett Favre has a good chance of breaking an NFL record inside the Metrodome.

"Yeah, he does," Sharper said. "He's three away."

Sharper, of course, was referring to the all-time NFL interception record Favre is closing in on, not the all-time touchdown mark. Sharper picked off Favre last year for the first time in a 9-7 loss at Lambeau Field and would like nothing more than to add to Favre's career total of 275.

"The interception record? That's the only record I'm thinking about," Sharper said.

This season, Sharper has two interceptions, giving him 51 for his career, the most of any active player in the NFL. Since 2000, no player has more interceptions than Sharper's 46.

Brainerd
09-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Darren. Darren. Darren. Sigh. BB material for sure.

CaliforniaCheez
09-27-2007, 04:44 AM
In his years since refusing to reduce his contract and getting cut by the Packers, Sharper has not had an interception or a good game against the Packers.

Anyone have the photo of him during the last game losing ground to Donald Driver as they ran many yards to the endzone?? It was very similar to the one of Driver doing it to Roman in San Francisco.

OS PA
09-27-2007, 05:10 AM
In his years since refusing to reduce his contract and getting cut by the Packers, Sharper has not had an interception or a good game against the Packers.

Anyone have the photo of him during the last game losing ground to Donald Driver as they ran many yards to the end zone?? It was very similar to the one of Driver doing it to Roman in San Francisco.

He picked off Favre last year at the final home game of the season.

It seems we have a lot of former safeties starting around the league.

Sharper in Minnesota
Roman in San Francisco
Manuel in Carolina (Not sure if he's starting, but he's played some time back there)

Can anybody think of any others? Bhawoh Jue was starting in San Diego, but that's changed... I can't think of any others.

CaliforniaCheez
09-27-2007, 05:28 AM
He picked off Favre last year at the final home game of the season.

I didn't think you were right so I looked it up.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/boxscore?game_id=29085&displayPage=tab_box_score&season=2006&week=REG16

I was incorrect. I sure don't remember it. Thank you for the correction.
It was right after the Fred Smoot INT.

OS PA
09-27-2007, 06:03 AM
Only game i've been too and Favre had a terrible day. What a game though. Our defense made it look like they were the only players on the field that day.

GBRulz
09-27-2007, 08:09 AM
Oh how i would love to see a picture of Driver catching #421, with Sharper behind him about 5 steps !

Merlin
09-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Manual was on ESPN this week getting torched for a TD. I wonder if 3T called him up and made him an offer?

OS PA
09-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Manual was on ESPN this week getting torched for a TD. I wonder if 3T called him up and made him an offer?

When he got torched was he in the picture? I remember so many times last year hearing his name being called for the mistake and him being no where in sight. If he was at least in the same frame as the receiver Carolina got a steal!... 8-)

b bulldog
09-27-2007, 09:53 PM
My guess is that Sharper may get a pic but he will also give up a TD

mraynrand
09-27-2007, 10:13 PM
High risk, high reward or utter failure. That's the history of Darren Sharper.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/image/112199/irvin1121.jpg

Or 'day late, dollar short Sharper'

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/jan04/1fred-mh111.jpg

http://www.epochtimes.com/i6/512270040571482--ss.jpg

http://espn.go.com/media/photo/1999/january/03/at_owens4.jpg

b bulldog
09-27-2007, 10:22 PM
The play against denver when he was trying to make a tackle and was pushed aside like a little girl was embarrassing.

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2007, 10:24 PM
The play against denver when he was trying to make a tackle and was pushed aside like a little girl was embarrassing.

Ed McCaffrey.

packers11
09-27-2007, 10:28 PM
those pictures just brought back the worst memories...

4th and fkin 26!!!
4th and fkin 25!!!

HOW COULD THEY BLOW IT!!!

MadtownPacker
09-27-2007, 10:29 PM
High risk, high reward or utter failure. That's the history of Darren Sharper.
Yup, those moments pretty much define sharper to me.

So what do you have to say about this Harvey??

HarveyWallbangers
09-27-2007, 10:30 PM
I've got nothing.

Worn out from battling bulldog.

b bulldog
09-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Fourth and 26 first was allowed by the free release from the line of scrimmage and the lack of the proper drop by 56 and of course the lack of a play by Jue and Sharp. The biggest problem really was Shermy calling off Ed D's blitz as Mike Mckenzie later noted when he was traded to the Saints .

Bretsky
09-27-2007, 10:59 PM
I've got nothing.

Dam, you are getting weak in your old age :lol:

Freak Out
09-27-2007, 11:44 PM
I've got nothing.

Dam, you are getting weak in your old age :lol:

You changed your sig!

Fritz
09-28-2007, 02:01 AM
Bwoah Jue. Bow Jue. Bowh Jue.

And to think I'd almost managed to push him to the recesses of my brain...thanks, guys.

What a crappy player.

PackerBlues
09-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Expect Favre to take some shots in Sharpers direction. Good or bad, it will be exciting.

mraynrand
09-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Fourth and 26 first was allowed by the free release from the line of scrimmage and the lack of the proper drop by 56 and of course the lack of a play by Jue and Sharp. The biggest problem really was Shermy calling off Ed D's blitz as Mike Mckenzie later noted when he was traded to the Saints .

And we know there's no one so credible as a disgruntled former player, right?

Who cares if Shermy 'called off the blitz.' Any group of players on the field ought to be able to defend a 4th and 26. If any one of those guys had a problem with the play, they should have called a time out. Even if they didn't have a time out.

mraynrand
09-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Here's Darren Sharper picking off another Favre pass for a TD.

http://i.packers.com/pg/2006-11-12/photo1.jpg

packers11
09-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh I love that picture...

remember right before the play the announcers were telling the audience how Sharper knew the calls and how he was on top of everything...

:lol:

mraynrand
09-28-2007, 07:46 PM

remember right before the play the announcers were telling the audience how Sharper knew the calls and how he was on top of everything...

YES! We were laughing our asses off when they said that and then Driver just PUNKED 'em. I haven't had that much fun since the end of 2003 with the AZ Viking loss and Hass' "We want the ball and we're gonna score!"

oregonpackfan
09-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Here's Darren Sharper picking off another Favre pass for a TD.

http://i.packers.com/pg/2006-11-12/photo1.jpg

"A picture is worth a thousand words..."

This picture is worth more than 1,000 of Darren Sharper's words. :)

MadtownPacker
09-28-2007, 09:37 PM

:lol:Yup, I remember I was thinking and watch that choker blow it rightnow and next thing you know bam!! DD rips him a new one and pretty much killed any spirit they had left.

Merlin
09-28-2007, 09:54 PM
I expect the Packers aren't worried too much about Sharper. He is slow and old now. He could maybe match up with Bubba Franks?

Rastak
09-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I expect the Packers aren't worried too much about Sharper. He is slow and old now. He could maybe match up with Bubba Franks?

He looked old and slow ending a Det drive with a nice pick in the end zone.

I'm guessing you haven't seen a Viking game this year. At least I admit I've not seen much Packer football for this year and have to read press reports and this site. You guys kill me with your expert analysis.

I don't say "Hawk sucks" or "Collins sucks" because I haven't seen it myself. I might quote sources but I don't declare shit I don't know for a fact.

Bretsky
09-28-2007, 10:31 PM
Sharper is still a good football player; anybody denying that has Homer disease

Merlin
09-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Sharper was NEVER a GOOD football player. He has always been a "safety". He sits back there and waits. He cannot tackle, he cannot cover, he cannot jump routes. Seemingly everyone forgets what happened in 2005 when he was called upon to actually cover because the secondary was so shitty as a whole. Anytime he has people that can play the game back there he can just sit and wait for the over through or under through. I love expert analysis from people who see the one play he makes but ignore the other 50 ones that he choked on.

Rastak
09-28-2007, 10:37 PM

He is getting old and I wouldn't call him the best safety in the NFL, but he makes plays, and not bullshit garbage time plays either. He's hitting people and he's getting picks and to pretend that isn't happening is sorta bullshit. That's my only point. I agree Bretsky, at this point he is a good football player. I don't know how much he has left but my original point when he first signed was that he needed to be good for 2 years, maybe 3 to justify the money he got has held true. Money well spent.

Rastak
09-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Sharper was NEVER a GOOD football player. He has always been a "safety". He sits back there and waits. He cannot tackle, he cannot cover, he cannot jump routes. Seemingly everyone forgets what happened in 2005 when he was called upon to actually cover because the secondary was so shitty as a whole. Anytime he has people that can play the game back there he can just sit and wait for the over through or under through. I love expert analysis from people who see the one play he makes but ignore the other 50 ones that he choked on.

BULLSHIT. I can't speak about every game he wore a Packer uniform but you sir, are full of shit on this one.

At least the last two years....

Bretsky
09-28-2007, 10:41 PM

Sharper was a good safety for us when he was healthy; our defense was far more dangerous when he was in the lineup. We suffered every time he was hurt; I'd find it hard to believe any fan would deny that.

He was a very solid football player for a rookie. In year two he took some terrible angles and looked like he didn't know how to tackle. But besides that year he didn't do a bad job against the run, and he played the ball when it was up in the air as well as any safety I've seen in GB besides Butler.

Bretsky
09-28-2007, 10:42 PM

He is getting old and I wouldn't call him the best safety in the NFL, but he makes plays, and not bullshit garbage time plays either. He's hitting people and he's getting picks and to pretend that isn't happening is sorta bullshit. That's my only point. I agree Bretsky, at this point he is a good football player. I don't know how much he has left but my original point when he first signed was that he needed to be good for 2 years, maybe 3 to justify the money he got has held true. Money well spent.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Merlin
09-28-2007, 10:45 PM
Sharper and healthy are not synonymous. When he was riding high he was never injured. The second shit went south all of a sudden he was. Makes you wonder how "good" of a player he is. He didn't have the punch that Butler did against the run and certainly not in blitzing. He had a good rookie campaign and it went to his head and the rest is history. He is average at best and his interceptions are over-rated. Sure, it was great when he got them for us but it wasn't so great that for very int he got he gave up at least 1 TD. That is Darren Sharper, there for the glory, no where to be found when things aren't so good.

Merlin
09-28-2007, 10:45 PM

BULLSHIT. I can't speak about every game he wore a Packer uniform but you sir, are full of shit on this one.

I detect some homerism here. And don't call me sir, I work for a living.

mraynrand
09-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Sharper was a good safety for the Pack. The quality of the Packers corners dipped severly in 1998 which coincided with Moss' big start. Sharper took more blame than he deserved. He played very well in a lot of games and had some major melt downs. But he's on the Vikings now, so it's a hell of a lot of fun to take shots at him. It wouldn't surprise me if Favre was looking at extra film to avoid getting picked by Sharper, because he knows Sharper will take his chances to get one.

Rastak
09-28-2007, 10:49 PM

I detect some homerism here. And don't call me sir, I work for a living.

I admit to homerism plenty of times. It's a common thing amongst NFL fans but this isn't one of those times. You are simply not correct on this one.

Sorry about calling you sir when it wasn't warrented....

j/k :wink:

I'll still call you you sir. It's polite.

Partial
09-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Back when I was just a casual packer fan and watched the games with my Dad Sharper was my favorite player. He was a pretty good Blitzer in Donatell's schemes and seemed to come up with the big play when it was needed. I don't really care one way or another about him since he is gone and we seem to have pretty solid players at safety, but I wish him well in all his endevours except against the Packers.

mraynrand
06-02-2008, 01:22 PM
More Sharper Fun

packers11
06-02-2008, 01:33 PM
the last TD he saw Favre throw was when he ran into his own teammate when he could have easily had a INT...

I hope he enjoys that 34-0 shutout :lol: