PDA

View Full Version : Some love for the CBs

jramsey495
09-27-2007, 09:40 AM
This was from CBS Sportsline. Nice to hear our corners mentioned as the best in the league. And while TT is intensely frustrating at times, Woodson was his best FA signing and maybe one of the best signings in the league the past few years. Under the radar and got a good deal for him.

Who has the best corner tandem: Denver with Champ Bailey and Dre' Bly or Green Bay with Al Harris and Charles Woodson?

Pete Prisco
Pete Prisco I think I'd take the Packers duo. Bailey is the best cover corner in football. He's on his way to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Bly is a good, quality cover corner. But the two in Green Bay might be a better overall tandem. Woodson has been a good player for a long time. In Oakland, there was talk that his skills had started to erode, but he's bounced back to elevate his game to a top-tier level again. Harris has been one of the more underrated players for a while. Since taking over as a starter in Green Bay after being the nickel corner in Philadelphia, he has displayed top-notch cover skills. He can blanket a receiver. It's a tough call, because Bailey is clearly the best of the four, but as a tandem I'd take the Green Bay group.

Clark Judge
I'll take Champ Bailey and Dre Bly in a photo finish. Heck, I'd take Champ Bailey and Gregg Doyel. Champ Bailey and anyone make for a decent tandem because Bailey's the best in the business. That's not to denigrate Woodson and Harris. Harris is one of the most underappreciated cornerbacks in the game, and Woodson seems to have found a second life in Green Bay. But Bailey reminds me of Deion Sanders when he was at the top of his game. Opponents respected his ability so much they stopped throwing to his side a) because they didn't want to risk an interception and b) because their chances for success were better almost anywhere else. Bailey never made that many interceptions because opponents stayed away from him, but the last two years he produced 18, the most by any player since Everson Walls in 1981-82. Bly may not be the equal of Woodson or Harris, but he's better than average. In fact, he's a two-time Pro Bowl choice. Now you put him with Bailey? Give them to me.