http://www.packers.com/multimedia/audio/2006_non_game_audio/

video interviews :

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/video/2006_non_game_video/

FIRST GLANCE
Initial workout provides look at McCarthy and his staff
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: May 6, 2006
Green Bay - The window opened just a crack Friday afternoon on what the Mike McCarthy coaching era in Green Bay will be all about.

Advertisement

If there was an overriding impression regarding McCarthy's first day on the field as a head coach at any level, it appears that the Packers' new leader is more than comfortable inside his own skin and won't try to be somebody he isn't.

This wasn't Forrest Gregg in spring 1984, demanding contact with a stern, booming voice even though the players weren't wearing pads during his first minicamp. McCarthy conducted a brisk, 1-hour 45-minute workout without coming close to yelling.

For 19 seasons as an assistant, McCarthy gradually worked his way up. Becoming the 14th head coach in Packers history has to be rarefied air for this 42-year-old son of a Pittsburgh barkeep, but if it was you wouldn't have known it by his confident approach.

"A day like today, you prepare a long time for," McCarthy said. "It's been a personal goal of mine to have this position. I don't think I had anxiety over it. As in any profession, once you get started, you're fine."

McCarthy walked around a little during practice but for the most part his time was spent with the offense. It felt strange to him, he later admitted, that he wasn't more active on the field. But in terms of past head coaches in Green Bay, he might be as involved with the offense as any of them.

Before each play, the quarterback walked up to McCarthy and received the play. To McCarthy's immediate right stood Jeff Jagodzinski, the first-year offensive coordinator. Tom Clements, the quarterbacks coach, was maybe 20 yards removed from the action talking to his players.

After the play, McCarthy often said something to the quarterback. Jagodzinski, who is bringing the zone ground game from Atlanta, focused on the offensive line and other blockers and went directly to them for instant review. Wide receivers coach Jimmy Robinson monitored the perimeter, the area that Jagodzinski can review later on tape.

“Mike is not a gray-area guy,” Jagodzinski said. “Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s either black or it’s white. He doesn’t mince words. There’s no gray area in what he wants.”
Jagodzinski's role in installing a dramatically new style of running can't be overstated. He has worked alongside the zone master, Alex Gibbs, for two years and now must bring his teachings to Green Bay.

"I know what it's supposed to look like up front," Jagodzinski said. “Where the cut is, where the pressure points are. I thought the backs missed some cuts today. They just haven’t seen it enough.”

With McCarthy and Jagodzinski prodding players, the Packers were in and out of the huddle swiftly. Fast tempo was an objective of Mike Sherman's, one reason why his practices were regarded as exceptionally efficient and organized.

Another coach undoubtedly feeling butterflies was Bob Sanders. Although he is entering his 31st season in coaching, this will be his first at any level as a full-fledged defensive coordinator.

A disciple of Jim Bates', Sanders is keeping the Jimmy Johnson-Dallas Cowboys system that was successful last season under Bates.

"Thank God," cornerback Al Harris said. "I don't know if I could have taken a total change."

It was at the opening minicamp a year ago that Bates first started running all over the field cheering defensive players for good plays and, at times, chastising others for poor performance. Sanders stayed true to his taciturn personality, calling each defense and then moving unobtrusively to the side.

Just as linebackers coach Mark Duffner made most of the noise in 2003 when Ed Donatell was coordinator, new linebackers coach Winston Moss was the most vocal of the defensive coaches Friday.

The practice was closed to the public because one of the outdoor fields was declared unavailable and the other was deemed too small to accommodate 80 to 85 players.

Inside the Hutson Center, the 60-yard west sideline was jammed with one of the largest media contingents seen in Green Bay since the mid- to late 1990s.

"I feel like we've been pushing paper for three months," McCarthy said. "This is what it's all about."

Also watching were Bob Harlan, John Jones and Andrew Brandt from the front office, general manager Ted Thompson plus many of his scouts and Robert Parins, the team's president from 1982-'89.

McCarthy set forth his expectations for the season in a 30-minute address to the team Friday morning. Several players said the primary message that they took from McCarthy was his insistence on doing the little things right.

"So far, so good," tight end Bubba Franks said. "He's a no-nonsense type of guy, a little different from Mike (Sherman). He's stressing X's and O's. I kind of like it that way."

"He's a pretty fiery guy," said the new cornerback, Charles Woodson, who played under Jon Gruden, Bill Callahan and Norv Turner in Oakland. "I think he's as excited as anybody in the organization."

McCarthy undoubtedly earned points from players by letting them run plays during pre-practice without wearing their helmets. Once the horn blew for the start, new strength coach Rock Gullickson put the team through group jogging, stretching and exercises. Most of that in the past had been done in position groups.
Brett Favre won’t address reporters until noon today but many eyes were on him. Last year, Favre did most of his socializing during breaks in practice with Craig Nall. With Nall now in Buffalo, the fact he was chatting much more with backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers was obvious.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m not a believer in micromanaging,” McCarthy said. “I think you need to communicate and express exactly how you want it. I think it’s very important to get it our way.”

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/aj505.jpg

Linebacker A.J. Hawk, Green Bay's top draft pick, embarks on his NFL career.

motife
05-06-2006, 06:29 AM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/line505.jpg

Brett Favre directs traffic during practice on Friday at the Don Hutson Center in Green Bay. Favre is preparing for his 16th season of professional football.

Brett Favre looks over the 'O'-line

motife
05-06-2006, 06:37 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/bh505.jpg

Ted Thompson, left, and Bob Harlan survey the activities

General manager Ted Thompson (left) and team president Bob Harlan monitor the progress of a club they hope will rebound in 2006.

http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/cw505.jpg

New Packer corner Charles Woodson will wear No. 2 in practice

http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/aj505b.jpg

A.J. Hawk runs drills Friday

http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/aaron505.jpg

Aaron Rodgers looks for a receiver

http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/mrcw505.jpg
Mark Roman and Charles Woodson will help chart the course for the secondary

http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/mm505b.jpg

Mike McCarthy offers some instruction, FB Vonta Leach

Mike McCarthy appears comfortable in his first day on the field as a head coach at any level. McCarthy presided over a brisk, 1-hour 45-minute workout.

http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/ka505.jpg

DT Kendrick Allen joined Green Bay as a free agent

http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/mm505.jpg

Brett Favre smiles at the head coach

http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/bf505.jpg
Brett Favre returned to Green Bay for his 16th NFL season

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/cw505b.jpg
Charles Woodson, right, talks with fellow cornerback Al Harris during minicamp Friday.

motife
05-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Woodson starts to find his footing in secondary
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: May 5, 2006
Green Bay - Charles Woodson had trouble staying on his feet during his first practice with the Green Bay Packers and had only one interception during the 1-hour 40-minute workout inside the Don Hutson Center.

"I should have had two," Woodson said.

Let's see, the four-time Pro Bowl player was slip-sliding around the FieldTurf because he had the wrong kind of shoes on and he almost had two interceptions? By recent Packers standards, he's now the second coming of Willie Wood.

While quarterback Brett Favre was leading the National Football League in interceptions with 29 last season, his defense was doing little to counteract his mistakes, tying for the fourth fewest interceptions in the league with 10.

In the sake of fairness, it should be noted that the Oakland Raiders, Woodson's team in 2005, finished with the fewest (five). But Woodson missed 10 games with a broken leg, which might just be an argument in his favor.

Completely healed from the injury and a lot richer after signing a seven-year, free-agent deal that included a $4 million signing bonus, a $4 million roster bonus and incentives that could pay him $950,000 more this year on top of his $1.25 million base salary, Woodson is pretty confident he'll get his hands on a few more passes this season.

The most interceptions Woodson has had in a single year was five in 1998, the year he was drafted No. 4 overall after a Heisman Trophy-winning season at Michigan. The last five seasons, Woodson has had just seven interceptions, which he said is mostly the result of teams refusing to throw the ball to his side of the field.

Some NFL people have said that wasn't the case as much the past two years, but when you consider the Raiders have been desperately searching for a complement to Woodson - they selected cornerbacks in the first round in 2002, '03 and '05 - it does make one wonder what he could do with a reliable cornerback opposite him.

Enter Al Harris.

Woodson chose Green Bay because they offered a lot of money and have a lot of tradition, but it didn't hurt that they had a solid cover cornerback on the right side. If Harris has another strong year and Woodson returns to form, the Packers could have something going.

"As a duo those are probably the best in the league," receiver Donald Driver said of Harris and Woodson. "No one in the NFL has two corners like we do. They'll have a lot of guys scared to throw against them.

"They're not going to say, 'Oh, we can't throw on Al, we have to throw on Ahmad (Carroll),' or, 'Al is hurt and we're going to throw on Al and not Ahmad.' They have to come in and say, 'We have to figure out who else are we going to throw to.' I don't see many receivers coming in and dominating our DBs."

Carroll is the odd man out after a terrible second season, and Harris, whose locker is next to the 2004 first-round pick, was sensitive to his feelings when answering questions about what Woodson's addition to the team would mean for him. But he slipped a bit when he overheard someone ask Woodson what kind of tandem he and Harris would make next season.

"We're going to be bad as (expletive)," Harris yelled playfully, usually not one to curse when reporters are around but apparently excited about the addition.

Though Harris and Woodson met only Friday morning upon gathering for the team's three-day minicamp, they clearly have a connection. It has to do with interceptions, which Woodson said were hard to get given where opponents were throwing the ball when he was with the Raiders.

"I wasn't getting any balls," he said. "I was just stuck on one side of the field on a receiver and I'd just be out there. People would be asking me, did I even play because I wasn't in the action. I like to be in the action."

Woodson insists that the lower leg he fractured making a tackle at the line of scrimmage last year is completely healed. He said X-rays taken by the Raiders during his exit physical at the end of the season showed that the bone was completely healed.

He said he returned to his home in Atlanta and began working out immediately, eventually moving on to a training facility in Houston to get ready. Even though he picked off Favre from his knees on an out pattern run by rookie Greg Jennings, Woodson said he wasn't back in football shape yet.

But he's getting there.

And no one is happier than Harris to see him approaching peak condition because it means he might get more balls thrown his way, too.
"That’s what you want, opportunity,” said Harris, who had three interceptions last season, one returned for a touchdown. “I hope I can get some balls thrown at me. If I was the opposing offense I wouldn’t throw at Woodson. I’d throw at me."

motife
05-06-2006, 06:49 AM
Notes: Coaching staff tinkers with offensive line
By LORI NICKEL
lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: May 5, 2006
Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers have three months before their first exhibition game to correct their problems on the offensive line, and the coaches got started on Day 1 of the Mike McCarthy era by looking at new faces in new places.

Seventh-year starting left tackle Chad Clifton watched minicamp practice Friday in the Don Hutson Center because he had arthroscopic knee surgery last week. He also had a knee scoped right after the end of last season.

Offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said he expected Clifton to fully recover but added that he wouldn't participate in this minicamp, which ends Sunday.

In Clifton's absence, second-year lineman Will Whitticker, who started at left guard for 14 games as a rookie, filled in.

Next to him was second-round draft pick Daryn Colledge, who filled in at left guard for Adrian Klemm, who hurt his knee during individual drills.

Scott Wells remained at center, as expected, for the departed Mike Flanagan. Kevin Barry, who has spent most of his career as the extra tackle on the U-71 run package, spent Friday at right guard and Mark Tauscher was at his usual spot at right tackle.

"We're looking for flexibility," McCarthy said. "I know Whitticker has played guard in the past but we're looking at him as a tackle, primarily, and also we're looking at him as a guard. The same way with Barry."

Jagodzinski cautioned about overanalyzing the offensive line in May.

"Don't get caught up on who's where right now," Jagodzinski said. "We're just trying to teach our system and how we do things."

The move to guard was no surprise to Barry, who said he had remained in Green Bay for most of the off-season extra work. The coaches have been talking about him moving to guard for several weeks now. If it means starting, Barry is eager for the chance. He has started just eight of 59 games.

"It's a big opportunity for me right now," Barry said. "It's like being a rookie, learning a whole new offense, but it's coming along."

Barry said he needed to lose weight, however. Noting that he dropped from 345 to 341 pounds recently, he said wanted to drop another 15 to 20 pounds by the time training camp begins in early July.

Jagodzinski, who is far from proclaiming Barry a starter, agreed that Barry's weight was too high.

"The style which we're going to do - and I think those guys found it out today - is fast and furious," Jagodzinski said. "If you can't perform that, it's going to be hard."

Jagodzinski, a native of West Allis, seemed intent on getting his message to Barry, a Racine native.

"Four or five packages a game? That's out, all right? If he wants to be the guy, he has to prove he wants to be the guy," Jagodzinski said.

Though it's just a May minicamp, Jagodzinski sounded like former defensive coordinator Jim Bates on the field Friday, yelling at players to hustle.

"Those five (offensive linemen), that's half your offense right there," he said. "They've got to be right, or nothing else will be."

Number payout: Whitticker, by the way, won't wear jersey No. 79, as he did his rookie year. He sold it to newly acquired free agent defensive tackle Ryan Pickett for a cool $10,000.

"It means that much to me. I've had this number since I was in high school," said Pickett, who played at Zephyrhills (Fla.) High. "He bargained. He started off talking $25,000. I said nooo."

Driver stance:Donald Driver, who stands to be the No. 1 receiver for the Packers next season with Javon Walker's trade to Denver, disputed a previous report that said he was unhappy with his contract.

"I never said that. I don't know who told you that. I'm here," Driver said.

Driver wouldn't even say he and his agent were pushing for a contract extension that would ensure he would retire a Packer. His current deal expires after the 2007 season.

Punter call: Punter B.J. Sander, who missed the final two games of last season with a fracture in his kicking leg, exhibited a strong leg in practice.

Meanwhile, Sander's challenger, Jon Ryan, said he mis-hit a couple.

"Overall I think I did pretty well, but you always remember the ones you didn't hit perfectly," Ryan said.

Injury report: Cornerback Ahmad Carroll limped off the field 90 minutes into practice and said he sprained his right ankle. . . .

Safety Marquand Manuel was out with a groin injury that carried over from last season, and the Packers withheld him to be on the safe side.

Roster move: The Packers added another undrafted free-agent rookie, receiver Calvin Russell from Tuskegee. He caught 42 passes for 668 yards last year for a 15.9-yard average per catch.

Scott Campbell
05-06-2006, 09:21 AM
These pictures are frigg'n GREAT!

Scott Campbell
05-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Barry said he needed to lose weight, however. Noting that he dropped from 345 to 341 pounds recently, he said wanted to drop another 15 to 20 pounds by the time training camp begins in early July.

Noting that he dropped 4 pounds recently??????

Come on Kevin, on you that's like tossing a deck chair off the Titanic.

Put the damned fork down!

mraynrand
05-06-2006, 10:22 AM
"Noting that he dropped 4 pounds recently?????? "

I just lost four pounds in the toilet this morning....

No Mo Moss
05-06-2006, 01:01 PM
M3 appears to have dropped A couple pounds since he was hired. OMG, he might very well be on course to be the first coach in recent memory that actually lost weight while in GB.. I'll give him more time.

Harlan Huckleby
05-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Brett with his grey beard looks like the QB coach, telling the players about his days in the NFL.

mraynrand
05-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Doesn't Favre look like he belongs on a fishing trawler with a wool cap? Call me Ishmael.....

Scott Campbell
05-06-2006, 02:46 PM
A patch over one eye and a hearty "ahoy there matey".

Deputy Nutz
05-06-2006, 05:13 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/line505.jpg

"Hey guys, this is how you do the backwards shocker!!!"

Deputy Nutz
05-06-2006, 05:17 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/mrcw505.jpg

"So Mark, thats where you got burned last year by Noah Herron."[/img]

Deputy Nutz
05-06-2006, 05:20 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/aj505.jpg

I think he was posing for the cover of a romance novel. Fabo anyone?

Deputy Nutz
05-06-2006, 05:21 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/may06/cw505b.jpg

"Hey Chuck, this is where I put my weed during practice."