PDA

View Full Version : Good Chance Ryan Grant Starts Sunday

Maxie the Taxi
09-28-2007, 05:59 AM
from: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

"The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel believes there's a good chance Ryan Grant could start for the Packers Sunday if Brandon Jackson sits out.

"Jackson is now struggling with a shin issue, and Vernand Morency have a major role this week if he returns. That leaves Grant and Wynn, and Grant got the early game carries on running downs against San Diego. We have our doubts any Packer will have consistent value this year, and none are worth using this week, but we'd take a flier on Grant in deep leagues to see what happens."

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2007, 06:05 AM
Notes: Backfield in motion a continuing theme
Now Jackson might be out
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

Green Bay - The wheel continues to spin in the Green Bay Packers' backfield and in whose hands the ball lands is anyone's guess.

The uncertain status of starter Brandon Jackson and injured Vernand Morency could lead the Packers to start either DeShawn Wynn or Ryan Grant on Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings. Jackson sat out practice Thursday with a strained shin suffered Sunday against San Diego and could be a scratch depending on how he feels today.

Morency is still waiting to get on the field for the first time this season, although he appears closer than ever to returning after having a solid practice Wednesday and a limited workout Thursday. If he practices without pain today, there's a chance he'll play Sunday.

"He looked better than he did last Thursday," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I'm hopeful Vernand can go. He's been frustrated the day after a hard practice, but I thought he put together two good practices."

Jackson spent the day rehabilitating his shin and will be re-evaluated today. After the game he had ice on both shins and appeared to be in some discomfort. However, he recovered enough to practice in full Wednesday.

"He strained his shin in the game," McCarthy said. "That didn't seem to bother him that much early in the week, but when he practiced yesterday it flared up on him. So he was with the rehab group."

Running backs coach Edgar Bennett said Jackson started feeling more pain as the game wore on and eventually was affected by it. He said it wasn't necessarily obvious on film that Jackson was hurting, but there was no question he wasn't feeling right.

"He feels it when he's planting and cutting and things like that," Bennett said. "You can kind of see subtle changes."

If Jackson can't play, there's a chance Grant could get the start ahead of Wynn. The coaching staff put him out on the field early in the Chargers game and planned to use him, but McCarthy wound up calling so many pass plays that the running game was barely used.

It's questionable how much the Packers will run against the Vikings and their third-ranked rush defense Sunday, but Grant is the kind of slasher who might be able to find a hole or two. He's at least as good as Wynn as a receiver and probably better, so Bennett said the Packers would have no hesitation starting him.

"Oh yeah, certainly," Bennett said. "Every time the kid gets an opportunity he does a good job. He's making the most of his opportunity."

If Morency plays, he won't get a lot of carries. He hasn't played in a game since Dec. 31 and will still have some issues with the tendinitis in his right knee when he returns to action.

"We'll just kind of see how much he can take at one time," Bennett said.

Maxie the Taxi
09-28-2007, 06:13 AM
To me Grant is the logical choice. I don't think it's a good idea to give Morency his first start against the Vikings. The guy will fumble. And if Jackson is not 100%, why start him? Wynn will get his carries but is prone to mistakes. I think the coaches like Grant. So do I.

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2007, 06:22 AM
It doesn't matter who plays running back. I hope Jackson sits just to see the other guys.

b bulldog
09-28-2007, 07:22 AM
jackson being out doesn't bother me at all

mraynrand
09-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Isn't there some rookie free agent on some other team's practice squad they could sign and start?

LL2
09-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Grant should start. We need to see who can pick up that area of the game.

gbgary
09-28-2007, 10:25 AM
we've had rb by committee before. not a big deal anymore except for the fact that these guys are pretty inexperienced, in this offense, and keep running into the backsides of the o-line. i HATE that!

btw...i saw jennings didn't practice. he's gonna be there sunday.....right?

Maxie the Taxi
09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
btw...i saw jennings didn't practice. he's gonna be there sunday.....right?

Jennings will start Sunday. McCarthy was just being "smart" holding him out of practice.

The Leaper
09-28-2007, 11:07 AM
It doesn't matter...the Packers will likely repeat their Chargers game plan and abandon the run almost entirely after the first series or two.

MadtownPacker
09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
This goes down in the "why the hell not" category. I don't mind if M3 rotates starters at RB until one of them step up.

Grant gets 50 yds against the purple fat boys and I will be very impressed.

mraynrand
09-28-2007, 12:34 PM
This goes down in the "why the hell not" category. I don't mind if M3 rotates starters at RB until one of them step up.

Grant gets 50 yds against the purple fat boys and I will be very impressed.

We resemble that remark

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/36/369661.jpg

http://www.prosportspictures.com/images/minnesota-vikings/04-kevin-williams-1-sm.jpg