PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay's McCarthy not amused by Vikings' comments

packers11
09-28-2007, 01:04 PM
Green Bay's McCarthy not amused by Vikings' comments
By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

Last update: September 27, 2007 – 9:52 PM

GREEN BAY, WIS. - Packers coach Mike McCarthy didn't seem amused by some of the comments that came out of Winter Park this week."I know there are a number of things Jeff has told me about this morning in the paper," McCarthy said Thursday. [b]"That's not our style. To me I look at it as ..."

McCarthy then halted his thought, saying, "Let's just leave it at that. I'm just going to stop right there."

Here are a few of the items McCarthy was referring to as Green Bay prepares to play the Vikings on Sunday at the Metrodome:

• Safety Darren Sharper, who spent eight seasons with the Packers, was asked about Brett Favre nearing an NFL record. The reference was to Favre being one touchdown pass from breaking Dan Marino's mark of 420.

But Sharper took the opportunity to jump on the fact Favre is three interceptions from breaking George Blanda's record of 277. "He's three away," Sharper said. "... We're all planning to get that third pick."

• On a conference call with Wisconsin reporters, Vikings nose tackle Pat Williams said Packers center Scott Wells "can't stop me," adding, "I don't think no center can stop me."

Defensive ends Cullen Jenkins and Aaron Kampman, who both played with Sharper, laughed off the comments by their former teammate. "Sharper is going to talk trash," Jenkins said. "That's just him. You have to get up for the game however you can and that's him."

Added Kampman: "He's a competitor and he's another guy who is a very good player. That sounds like ..."

Kampman paused and smiled. A reporter tried to finish the thought, saying: That sounds like Darren? "I didn't say that; you said that," Kampman responded with a chuckle.

McCarthy didn't seem to be laughing, however. "We'll be there Sunday when we kick it off," he said. "Our guys are excited about playing this game."

Plan for 421

Although the Vikings are hoping it doesn't happen Sunday, the team -- as well as the Packers and NFL -- have been making plans for how to acknowledge the moment when Favre throws his record-setting touchdown pass.

Details continued to be hashed out Thursday, but NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail that "the teams were given permission to stop the game in order to recognize Brett if he sets the record."

Viewers at home should see any type of celebration as well. A Fox spokesman said, "We will definitely cover the moment in its entirety and then go to [commercial] break."

Etc.

The Packers had 13 players listed on their injury report Thursday, including new addition Brandon Jackson. The Packers' leading rusher hurt his shin Sunday and it flared up after Wednesday's practice. He sat out Thursday. Also sitting was receiver Greg Jennings (hamstring). Favre took part in all of Thursday's practice after being limited the day before because of a cut on one of the fingers on his right hand.

packers11
09-28-2007, 01:05 PM
they sure talk a lot of shit for being 1-2...

I'm glad they keep talking, it just gives the packers more motivation to go kick there ass...

Packnut
09-28-2007, 01:48 PM
they sure talk a lot of shit for being 1-2...

I'm glad they keep talking, it just gives the packers more motivation to go kick there ass...

That's the one common through-out the Queens for as long as I can remember. They always talk shit. Should be a rule that until you actually WIN a SB, no shit talking allowed............ :lol:

Carolina_Packer
09-28-2007, 01:55 PM
They have to do something, they are 1-2, they are looking for respect. Their offense is inconsistent, especially at QB (not a good place for inconsistency fo' sho'), and they have a good defense, but they don't take games over like last year's Bears defense...plus, the natural rivalry.

I wonder what it's like for displaced Packer fans in Viking territory, or people who live in towns that border both states. Do the people really get into it?

rpiotr01
09-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Mike McCarthy starting to get a little chip on his shoulder. I like that :D

Maxie the Taxi
09-28-2007, 02:13 PM
I assume McCarthy was going to call the Viking comments "Bush League." Maybe they were, but on the other hand I've heard way worse than that. Coach might be looking for a little, extra motivation for his youngsters.

The Leaper
09-28-2007, 02:24 PM
This is why this game doesn't bother me. Some see it as a "trap" game, but with the Bears struggling, next week's game isn't circled on anyone's calendar any more brightly than this week's.

For Green Bay to win the division, they need to beat all division opponents...including the Queens.

The smack talk and false bravado are just evidence that the Vikings really don't give themselves that much of a chance. The Packers are focused and disciplined under McCarthy...and if that is how they play on Sunday, this game will be a blowout.

Plus, all the Favre love (even if we all know it is justified) has to be irking the defense in a good way. I expect this defense to look better than it has the last 2 weeks.

RIPackerFan
09-28-2007, 03:26 PM
I was nervous earlier this week - the press and accolades might have gotten to the young guys and allow us to look past the Vikings.

But then the Vikings had to open their mouth, making sure we don't overlook them.

I personally look for the Pack to come out and smack them in the mouth.

SkinBasket
09-28-2007, 03:40 PM
McCarthy is up next on Jim Rome. We'll see if he discusses it there.

mraynrand
09-28-2007, 03:46 PM

I haven't listen to Rome in a long time. Has he started letting others talk again? I thought he just did 'takes' on Firefighters polishing their trucks, eating ice cream cones, etc.

3irty1
09-28-2007, 03:59 PM

I haven't listen to Rome in a long time. Has he started letting others talk again? I thought he just did 'takes' on Firefighters polishing their trucks, eating ice cream cones, etc.

Ya Jim Rome's show is pretty much a video blog.

KYPack
09-28-2007, 04:21 PM

I like Coach.

I was skeptical when he took over and was real nervous after the first 8 games. I kind of wanted Childress or Ferentz at the time of the hire. I was wrong. Coach Mac has a handle on this ballclub and he is runnin' the show. He's a good young coach & I'm damned glad we got him.

3irty1
09-28-2007, 04:21 PM
They have to do something, they are 1-2, they are looking for respect. Their offense is inconsistent, especially at QB (not a good place for inconsistency fo' sho'), and they have a good defense, but they don't take games over like last year's Bears defense...plus, the natural rivalry.

I wonder what it's like for displaced Packer fans in Viking territory, or people who live in towns that border both states. Do the people really get into it?

They get into it a little bit. Its wierd because we are their biggest rivalry and the bears are our biggest rivalry. In contrast to the long and proud history of the Packers, the Vikings have yet to win a superbowl. If they didn't run their mouths, these games wouldn't mean anymore to us than the lions. Plus it helps that the Bears were so bad in the 90's.

The Brewers are kind of the same way, they have only been to the world series and their biggest rivalry is with the Cubs but the cubs are a much older team with a much larger fan base who has stronger older rivalries in other places. The Brews don't run their mouths or have a roster full of classless players though.

Brando19
09-28-2007, 04:40 PM
You guys would be pissed off too if you had to wear purple every week and are still trying to get a winning season.

Iron Mike
09-28-2007, 05:31 PM
You guys would be pissed off too if you had to wear purple every week and are still trying to get a winning season.

You'd be purple, too...........if you'd been choking for 45 years. 8-)

I kill myself.

oregonpackfan
09-28-2007, 09:13 PM

I like Coach.

I was skeptical when he took over and was real nervous after the first 8 games. I kind of wanted Childress or Ferentz at the time of the hire. I was wrong. Coach Mac has a handle on this ballclub and he is runnin' the show. He's a good young coach & I'm damned glad we got him.

McCarthy is starting to grow on me as well, KY!

MadtownPacker
09-28-2007, 09:28 PM
I liked M3 from day one (might have even coined the phrase). You can go back to the old hang out and look up my post when he was hired.

McCarthy sounds pissed off. Will he run up the score if given the chance? He didnt seem to hold back against the giants but then they where acting like a bunch of whining cheap shots and deserved to get blown out.

KYPack
09-28-2007, 09:50 PM
You made that M3 graphic, didn't ya?

MM took awhile with me. He seemed a little nervous at the beginning of last year. Now that whole "Pittsburgh pissed-off" attitude is coming thru. M3 seemed to have good credentials, but I didn't know if he could carry a team. I think he's showing he can lead the guys.

MadtownPacker
09-28-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah,. Cant say I knew anything about the guy and maybe I was looking for a change at HC but I just had a good feeling. He will be capable of keeping the team up when Favre retires.

Merlin
09-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Correct me if I am wrong here but wasn't Wells our center last year (I already know the answer)? And Pat Williams had how many sacks against us last year facing Wells?

Williams is a fat POS who gets glory because he is so fat it takes two people to plug his ass.

HarveyWallbangers
09-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Nah, he's a great player. He does for Minnesota what Gilbert Brown did for us on his best days.

I just hope that the old guy starts showing his age.

Partial
09-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Correct me if I am wrong here but wasn't Wells our center last year (I already know the answer)? And Pat Williams had how many sacks against us last year facing Wells?

Williams is a fat POS who gets glory because he is so fat it takes two people to plug his ass.

Sacks don't matter for him, though. No one can deny that he is one of the best linemen in the league.

RashanGary
09-29-2007, 07:26 AM
McCarthy was on Fox sports last night (or the night before, I don't remember) and he was talking to some of their sports guys like Eddie George. . . Some white guy with a bald head and a goatee made a joke about a statue of McCarthy and then McCarthy made a joke about a 5'4" statue of that guy. The guy had a bald head and a goatee so he had a tough guy look to him. He responded to McCarthy by saying "that was really hurtfull, Mike" and then the cut away. It was just funny. He was joking with the hurtfull comment, the but the jab was just hillarious.

Bretsky
09-29-2007, 07:35 AM
McCarthy was on Fox sports last night (or the night before, I don't remember) and he was talking to some of their sports guys like Eddie George. . . Some white guy with a bald head and a goatee made a joke about a statue of McCarthy and then McCarthy made a joke about a 5'4" statue of that guy. The guy had a bald head and a goatee so he had a tough guy look to him. He responded to McCarthy by saying "that was really hurtfull, Mike" and then the cut away. It was just funny. He was joking with the hurtfull comment, the but the jab was just hillarious.

Jay Glazer is that guy; I had posted about the interview making up a thread
Funny interview.

Fritz
09-29-2007, 07:58 AM
I like MM. At first I was really disappointed that TT didn't hire the old D coordinator - Jim Bates - but I didn't ever like Childress or Wade Phillips.

As for the talk, I think that it's just part of the game, kind of a ritualized thing. I'm not sure these guys don't just use this stuff to try to get pumped, but know deep down it's just talk. Just part of the NFL these days. Back in the day it meant something - you didn't talk smack or you'd get killed, because real men didn't need to talk smack - but now it's de rigeur.

Fritz
09-29-2007, 07:59 AM

Jim Rome = tool.

Noodle
09-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Sharper's comments didn't surprise me too much, because I assumed he was saying it in a kidding way due to his past (and from what I read, good) relationship with some current Packer players, including Favre. Besides, player to player stuff is generally fine with me -- the talker is going to have to go out and either back it up or get exposed.

But I was really surprised to see this from Vikes HC Childress: "I think maybe it would be more of a source for pride if we could help him tie the record for most career interceptions with George Blanda."

I don't think Childress knows Favre, so this can't be brushed off as just banter between old friends, like if it came from Mooch or Reid (who would never have said such a classless thing in any event).

If I were a Vikes fan, I'd be worried that my head coach was so friggin stupid and clueless. There is NO reason for an NFL headcoach to disrespect any player approaching a major record. Friggin moron.

ZachMN
09-29-2007, 10:00 AM

The queen fans are complete a holes as far as Im concerned. I took my then 10 year old stepson in '05 and man you think queen fans could refrain from swearing?? or making innappropriate sexual innuendos? And they act like folks in 'Scony drink a lot?? Dude. Minnesotans don't take a back seat to anyone in terms of drinking and they don't know how to act once they hit that level of innebriation. By the way I am born and raised in Minneapolis- been a Packer fan my whole life.

All that being said its always a tough game for us but maybe MM has this team on a ho noba lebal ( all apologies to Keegan Michael Key) and I want to see both the queens and the bears get ground into the turf over the next two weeks.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends: the Brett Favre Extravaganza-Still Your Worst Nightmare queenlionbear honks!!!!

Z
One more anectdote: this viking honk was swearing so much two rows in front of us, f word continually- kids all over including his own!! even queen fans were telling him to shut it. Meanwhile, at Lambeau, when the pack screwed up, nothing but rational comments were all I heard. Like, its ok he'll learn and next time it will get better etc. GO PACK GO

Iron Mike
09-29-2007, 03:43 PM
The queen fans are complete a holes as far as Im concerned. I took my then 10 year old stepson in '05 and man you think queen fans could refrain from swearing?? or making innappropriate sexual innuendos? And they act like folks in 'Scony drink a lot?? Dude. Minnesotans don't take a back seat to anyone in terms of drinking and they don't know how to act once they hit that level of innebriation. By the way I am born and raised in Minneapolis- been a Packer fan my whole life.

All that being said its always a tough game for us but maybe MM has this team on a ho noba lebal ( all apologies to Keegan Michael Key) and I want to see both the queens and the bears get ground into the turf over the next two weeks.

Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends: the Brett Favre Extravaganza-Still Your Worst Nightmare queenlionbear honks!!!!

Z
One more anectdote: this viking honk was swearing so much two rows in front of us, f word continually- kids all over including his own!! even queen fans were telling him to shut it. Meanwhile, at Lambeau, when the pack screwed up, nothing but rational comments were all I heard. Like, its ok he'll learn and next time it will get better etc. GO PACK GO

HaHaHa!!! That's AWESOME!!!!!

On what other Packer board can you get an Emerson, Lake and Palmer reference?? 8-)

FritzDontBlitz
09-29-2007, 09:43 PM

Z

HaHaHa!!! That's AWESOME!!!!!

On what other Packer board can you get an Emerson, Lake and Palmer reference?? 8-)

not to mention a shoplifting duck sig. kewl....

RashanGary
09-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Sharper's comments didn't surprise me too much, because I assumed he was saying it in a kidding way due to his past (and from what I read, good) relationship with some current Packer players, including Favre. Besides, player to player stuff is generally fine with me -- the talker is going to have to go out and either back it up or get exposed.

But I was really surprised to see this from Vikes HC Childress: "I think maybe it would be more of a source for pride if we could help him tie the record for most career interceptions with George Blanda."

I don't think Childress knows Favre, so this can't be brushed off as just banter between old friends, like if it came from Mooch or Reid (who would never have said such a classless thing in any event).

If I were a Vikes fan, I'd be worried that my head coach was so friggin stupid and clueless. There is NO reason for an NFL headcoach to disrespect any player approaching a major record. Friggin moron.

I agree. I think it's a slap in the face not to talk positively about an opponent that is on the doorstep of such an amazing record. I honestly think McCarthy is pissed. Everyone keeps talking about a close game. I think the Packers are going to step on their throats and if we win, we are going to run up the score doing it.

Rastak
09-29-2007, 10:31 PM

I agree. I think it's a slap in the face not to talk positively about an opponent that is on the doorstep of such an amazing record. I honestly think McCarthy is pissed. Everyone keeps talking about a close game. I think the Packers are going to step on their throats and if we win, we are going to run up the score doing it.

I listened to the Vikings weekly show from Winter Park on a podcast before the Gopher game tonight and Childress had nothing but good things to say about Green Bay. In particular Favre and Harris. You guys are over-reacting BIG time.

In particular he said Favre hadn't lost much if anything over the years and most QB's would dislocate their arm if they tried to throw it as hard as Favre does. He also called Harris, "One tough cat". Yea, a real slap in the face.

:roll:

Bretsky
09-29-2007, 10:42 PM

I think it's goingto be a close game; but I hope you are right

Harlan Huckleby
09-29-2007, 10:55 PM
Green Bay's McCarthy not amused by Vikings' comments

This headline is hilarious. "The Emperor is not amused, be very, very afraid."

Its ok, all in fun. It's not easy to find something to write about every day of the week. I don't think the bulletin boad stuff counts for much, these guys have heard it all before.

Bretsky
09-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Sharper always talks trash; he enjoys it and has that witty arrogance about him
He was the guy GB media always flocked to for a quote and I'm sure he still is now

I highly doubt this reflects the coaches in any way

RashanGary
09-29-2007, 11:31 PM
This headline is hilarious. "The Emperor is not amused, be very, very afraid."

You must have the testosterone level of a 2 week old girl. Have you ever been angry, HH? Some people get pissed when they are crossed. It's mostly macho bullshit, but it's all part of the overtestosteroned gig.

Harlan Huckleby
09-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Defensive ends Cullen Jenkins and Aaron Kampman, who both played with Sharper, laughed off the comments by their former teammate. "Sharper is going to talk trash," Jenkins said. "That's just him. You have to get up for the game however you can and that's him."

Jenkins & Kampman seem to be lacking in testosterone, JH.

Harlan Huckleby
09-29-2007, 11:46 PM

Jim Rome = tool.

SkinBasket = Jim Rome Clone Clone
Hold the phone -
now we'll see some testosterone!!!!

RashanGary
09-29-2007, 11:50 PM
It's not Sharpers comments that bother me. He's having fun. It's the lack of respect shown by Chilly and the whole team. It seems like it may be exaggerated in the media according to Rastak, but let's not pretend like it's unheard of for grown men to get pissed off if they are not shown respect.

You've been all about patronizing McCarthy's no nonsense approach since he was hired. Maybe it's the defensive gay man in you.

Harlan Huckleby
09-30-2007, 12:39 AM
I haven't said boo about McCarthy. Have no opinion of him, have hardly even thought about him.

Do you have me confused with some other defensive gay man?

woodbuck27
09-30-2007, 01:10 AM

I like Coach.

MM works very hard and he is growing as a Head Coach.

Re: the comments

I would not expect anything but those comments fr. our great rival Minny.

Our match record is 46-44-1 since the Vikings arrived in the NFL. Very close and the outcome of games is often very close.

I expect a very tough game and a FG to win it late for us. I hope to see more ST advancement and for Favre to get 421, set the record for most passing attempts with 11 completions (if he gets proper protection) and break a tie for second in the most consec. starts standing ALL PLAYERS - ALL TIME.

I want to see this game and enjoy all that (but most of all a Packer win) here in Saint John, New Brunswick visiting with my Packer friends.

GO PACK GO !