PDA

View Full Version : Is Ricky Williams the answer?

Brando19
09-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I found this on pft and it got me thinking....should the Pack consider Ricky Williams? I mean....he's better than anything on the roster and could definitely take pressure off the passing game.
Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com takes a look at the coming reinstatement application of Dolphins running back Ricky Williams. Agent Leigh Steinberg tells Marvez that Williams plans to apply for reinstatement on October 2, and that Williams could spent a lot more time in the NFL.

"He's only 30 and could have six or seven more productive years," Steinberg said. "Because of how incredibly disciplined he is with his diet and training, he could have five years of being among the league leaders in rushing and a franchise-builder for a team."

The only problem is that, with Williams one Grateful Dead concert away from an indefinite banishment, who could afford to take that risk? Indeed, Williams' "incredible discipline" when it comes to his diet and training has hardly been matched by his "incredible discipline" when it comes to keeping prohibited substances out of his system.

In the past three years, Williams has spent one season in retirement, 75 percent of one season playing football, and (as of Sunday) one season and a quarter of another on suspension. So the concern remains in league circles that Ricky might like smoking weed more than he likes playing football.

With former Saints G.M. Randy Mueller, who traded Williams to the Dolphins five years ago, running the show in South Florida, we can't imagine the Fins giving Ricky yet another second chance. If he's reinstated before the October 16 trading deadline (which is highly unlikely), we suspect that the Dolphins would try to ship him out of town. If he's reinstated after October 16, the team could cut him -- unless his reinstatement comes with only a handful of regular-season games left to play. In that case, they'd likely hold his rights and trade him in March.

But none of that is relevant if he isn't reinstated. He failed to secure reinstatement in May, reportedly because he failed a drug test. Given his history, we think that staying clean for the duration of the extension to the suspension would be an Appalachian State-style upset.

mission
09-28-2007, 04:40 PM
haha absolutely not....

3irty1
09-28-2007, 04:47 PM
The Patriots will probobly pick him up :(

Brando19
09-28-2007, 04:51 PM
The Patriots will probobly pick him up :(

No doubt.

Kiwon
09-28-2007, 04:53 PM
If Ricky Williams is the answer then I'm scared about the question.

Maxie the Taxi
09-28-2007, 04:54 PM
If Ricky Williams is the answer then I'm scared about the question.

Too funny.

MTPackerfan
09-28-2007, 05:07 PM
I thought Allen Iverson was the Answer?? :wink:

Maxie the Taxi
09-28-2007, 05:08 PM
What's the question again?

Scott Campbell
09-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Dopey idea.

Brando19
09-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Well, well...if it isn't Scott and his smart ass comments once again. You should be the GM of the Packers...no no...you should be President of the United States. When that happens..I'm moving to Canada.

4and12to12and4
09-28-2007, 05:27 PM
I would absoulutely LOVE to have a great explosive back as good as Ricky Williams. He could REALLY cause teams to play their safefities and backers closer to the line of scrimmage, and I can invision him running like crazy on screen plays. He also has great hands, and is a capable blocker. He seems to be a perfect fit, as long as he stays off the reifer. Give him a one year deal, and see what happens, it's not like we don't have the money.

superfan
09-28-2007, 05:27 PM
Even money that Scott is the PR leader in lowest WPP (words per post). Why waste a whole sentence when two words gets the job done? :D

PackerBlues
09-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Bring him in for a workout........ :drma:

Harlan Huckleby
09-28-2007, 06:39 PM
He seems to be a perfect fit, as long as he stays off the reifer.

If he can play, I'm satisfied with a Wizzonator solution.

I just doubt that he has anything left. He's had so many injuries, problems, stesses - is his body in top form?

Deputy Nutz
09-28-2007, 06:55 PM
Great my dealer is doing a 5 to 8 up in Waupun.

Brando19
09-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Why not bring him in if he is reinstated? Like 4and12to12and4 said....he may be worth a one year deal.

oregonpackfan
09-28-2007, 09:04 PM
The guy is too much of a head case and has been out of football too long.

My other concern is the influence(marijuana, etc) he might have on the younger players. We need to remember the Packers have the youngest roster in the NFL.

cheesner
09-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Bad influence on the young pups. I would be surprised if he is in great shape. The last time he came back from a year off he was quite a bit out of shape - but he did come around in 4-6 weeks. However, he is now 2 yrs older. I would hate to invest in the guy (time, money isn't a big deal) and then have him banned for the rest of the season after a couple of games.

I would say, let NE have him then.

MadtownPacker
09-28-2007, 09:35 PM
He seems to be a perfect fit, as long as he stays off the reifer.

If he can play, I'm satisfied with a Wizzonator solution.

I just doubt that he has anything left. He's had so many injuries, problems, stesses - is his body in top form?Thats what Im talkin bout pero!!

If Trippy Ricky can plan anywheres near how he did before the he would make the team a very strong contender. But I also doubt he is even half of what he once was.

LEWCWA
09-28-2007, 09:50 PM
intriuging (how the hell you spell that) thought, but probably not!

Merlin
09-28-2007, 10:27 PM
3T will sign him for the vet minimum and a bag of tea. He will immediately be put on IR and then signed to the practice squad while we sign a bar tender to run the ball for us.

Scott Campbell
09-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Well, well...if it isn't Scott and his smart ass comments once again. You should be the GM of the Packers...no no...you should be President of the United States. When that happens..I'm moving to Canada.

It was a pun. Dope = mj. Get it?

I do like the President thing though.

4and12to12and4
09-29-2007, 12:06 AM
The guy is too much of a head case and has been out of football too long.

My other concern is the influence(marijuana, etc) he might have on the younger players. We need to remember the Packers have the youngest roster in the NFL.

I don't worry about that, I would guess that 50% of players smoke pot. I know half of my friends do. It is a very common drug. Who gives a shit? As long as he runs the ball effectively and passes the damn tests.

Fritz
09-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Is Ricky Williams the answer?

Hand me my bong and I'll think about it.

ZachMN
09-29-2007, 10:27 AM
You not only thought this but went as far as to post it?? Jesus Christ.......

Brando19
09-29-2007, 11:18 AM

saves....there, I finished your sentence. Jesus Christ saves.

Grow up, ZachMN and change that gay avatar.

Rastak
09-29-2007, 11:29 AM

Is He a goaltender in the heaven league or a closer in the baseball league?

Brandon494
09-29-2007, 01:06 PM
I mean seriously, just because the guys name is Ricky Williams doesnt mean he can help us out.

Cheesehead Craig
09-29-2007, 01:19 PM
They would have to change the TD song after he scores:

"I don't want to work
I want to smoke a bunch of pot all day"

vince
09-29-2007, 02:10 PM
Ricky and the Boys - http://bangcartoon.com/2007/dogpile.htm

ZachMN
09-29-2007, 02:12 PM

What, does a guy wearing floral acid trip pants threaten you LOL I needed to update anyway, hope you like my halloween costume;P

mmmdk
09-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Ricky could be our "Andre Rison" signing...smells like 1996 :roll:

LL2
09-29-2007, 05:04 PM
I don't know if he would be the answer but I remember we picked up Andre Rison the year we won the SB and he gave the team another threat. TT shoudl consider the same if he felt a player could give the Pack an extra push towards the playoffs and beyond. If the Packers are 6-2 a player might want to go to the Packers seeing they have a shot at it.

Harlan Huckleby
09-29-2007, 05:29 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2002/0813/photo/e_rwmd_i.jpg

Fritz
09-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Who is the "you" whom you are referencing in this "You not only thought this..." post?

Zool
09-30-2007, 01:35 AM

Is He a goaltender in the heaven league or a closer in the baseball league?

Jesus Saves....

After every level.

woodbuck27
09-30-2007, 02:31 AM
I expect TT to be bringing in RBssssss every week to try to get a fix.

He has not and he will not.

Oh yea. The NFL is now a passing league. :)

Harlan Huckleby
09-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Jesus Saves....

and Gretsky scores on the rebound.

ZachMN
09-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Jesus Saves....

and Gretsky scores on the rebound.

That's GretZky LOL