PDA

View Full Version : Ragnar has soft spot for Favre

CaliforniaCheez
09-29-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.startribune.com/craig/story/1452793.html

Vikings mascot and No. 1 fan Ragnar was born in Milwaukee on Aug. 17, 1961, once helped raise money at a Packers charity event and has developed a mutual fondness with -- gulp -- Brett Favre!?
"Dangit!" said Joe Juranitch, aka Ragnar, the authentic-looking seafaring Viking, when told he had been exposed by Favre during a conference call with reporters this week.

"Oh, well. You got me. But I think I speak for all of Minnesota and every Vikings fan when I say you have to admire and respect Brett Favre. We'll go out there [today] and yell and scream, 'You're going down, Favre!', but I believe nobody would want to see Brett Favre get hurt. I would have a tough, tough time with that."

Favre will make his 241st consecutive regular season start today when the Packers face the Vikings at the Metrodome. And chances are Favre also will spend some time on the field before the game talking to his favorite NFL mascot.

Last year, when it appeared Favre might be making his final Metrodome appearance, he sought out Ragnar.

"I don't know if you've seen all the important people who are walking around the sidelines before games," Juranitch said. "But Brett walks onto the field, walks right past all those people who are way, way, waaaay more important people than I am. He walks right up to me and says, 'Hey, I'm not sure if I'll be making this trip again. If not, I really enjoyed all your antics throughout the years.' He wished me the best, and I wished him the best. He's a humble man."

Juranitch said the Packers' game is his favorite every year because there's always good, playful interaction with the Green Bay players.

"It's not like the Bears," Juranitch said. "The Bears want to fight."

Juranitch hasn't shaved his beard since he won the Ragnar job among 3,000 applicants in 1994. The last thing he looks like is a dean of students at Hopkins High School, which he is.

First impressions usually aren't accurate when it comes to meeting Juranitch in full Ragnar gear for the first time. That certainly was the case the first time Juranitch crossed paths with Packers security director Jerry Parins.

"Let's just say I don't look like mainstream society," Juranitch said with a laugh. "So here I come out of that Viking ship riding my motorcycle. The crowd is going crazy and I'm pointing at Brett and yelling at him. I never swear or use foul language, by the way, but still, people tend to take a defensive posture when they see me. And Jerry absolutely hated me."

Early in his Ragnar career, Juranitch caught Parins standing too close to his motorcycle.

"I barked at him, 'Get away from my bike!'" Juranitch said. "He started to come back at me, and I winked and said, 'Go ahead, hop on.' Then I asked to try on his Super Bowl ring. I told him, 'Hey, now I'm the only Viking with a Super Bowl ring.'"

The two have been friends since. Two years ago, Juranitch rode his motorcycle to Green Bay, where he participated in and was guest speaker at Parins' Cruise for Cancer bike rally.

"You know, I hated [Juranitch] at first," said Favre, who once accepted a "Ragnar" doll from Juranitch before a game. "He looks real. A couple of years ago, we won the game [on Christmas Eve]. He came over and said, 'Hey, I admire you and respect you. I'm a Vikings fan but I like watching you play.' It was nice. He does a heck of a job for them."

Juranitch said he might approach Favre first today.

"I hear Brett likes to hunt and fish," Juranitch said. "I got a place up in Ely. I might go up [today] and say, 'Let's go up to Ely and go fishing sometime.' Can you imagine Brett Favre and Ragnar sitting on a lake up in Ely?"

b bulldog
09-29-2007, 06:54 PM
I have a place up in Northern WI on a wonderful lake, maybe I'll ask Brett to come fishing with me :lol:

Joemailman
09-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Wouldn't you rather invite Brady? :wink:

CaliforniaCheez
09-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Wouldn't you rather invite Brady? :wink:

No, just a couple of his girlfriends.

GBRulz
09-29-2007, 07:36 PM
LOL !! Good One, Joe!

Favre is washed up and should retire. Oh yeah, we're singing a different tune this year, aren't we bulldog ? :roll:

Joemailman
09-29-2007, 08:07 PM
Actually, Ragnar sounds like a really cool guy. I wonder if he goes to road games. I'd like to invite him over for a Brat and beer.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/joemailman25/ragnar.jpg

Jimx29
09-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Through out the years, Ragnar has been on just about every Twin Cities sports shows, and not once have I seen him anything less than a grateful all-around sports fan.

Packnut
09-29-2007, 11:33 PM
LOL !! Good One, Joe!

Favre is washed up and should retire. Oh yeah, we're singing a different tune this year, aren't we bulldog ? :roll:

I remember several arguements with him when he was ripping Favre. :wink:

woodbuck27
09-30-2007, 01:35 AM
The more I learn about Brett Favre the more I love him. :)

Now he may be the most humble athlete in PRO sports. . . we knew that. :)

Bretsky
09-30-2007, 07:15 AM
LOL !! Good One, Joe!

Gals have to rub it in :wink:

Here I was ignoring he ever said that

Joemailman
09-30-2007, 07:22 AM
This is off topic, but where is Mad with the Official Game Day Thread? Doesn't he know it's less than 5 hours until game time? :smack:

Bretsky
09-30-2007, 08:44 AM
This is off topic, but where is Mad with the Official Game Day Thread? Doesn't he know it's less than 5 hours until game time? :smack:

Around 3 right now; hopefully Mad is not in jail or detox :lol: Would have been nice if he'd have started it after getting home from the California Babe Strip Clubs last night

Rastak
09-30-2007, 08:45 AM

Around 3 right now; hopefully Mad is not in jail or detox :lol: Would have been nice if he'd have started it after getting home from the California Babe Strip Clubs last night

Thread is up and jinx enacted. The fake thread got changed before game day last week, avoiding the jinx but this week it's too late!

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Unlike Rastak, this guy sounds really cool. :lol:

Good read, I have always thought the Ragnar thing was pretty cool with the bike.

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 09:33 AM
LOL !! Good One, Joe!

Gals have to rub it in :wink:

Here I was ignoring he ever said that

hmm, well I guess you are more of a gentleman than I am, B ! :lol:

greensled
09-30-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't post here much(at all :D), but am a loyal western-Wisconsin Packerbacker stuck in the TC market. With that said, I met Ragnar(Joe) about 3 years ago at our local father/son banquet at our church. Somehow, he caught wind that I'm a loyal GB fan/MN hater and made it a point to sit right next to me during dinner. Jokes/wisecracks were volleyed eachother's way, but this guy is a helluva good guy. He gave me one of those Ragnar dolls like he gave Brett, signed....which I have hanging from a noose made of green/gold beads :D :D

GrnBay007
09-30-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't post here much(at all :D), but am a loyal western-Wisconsin Packerbacker stuck in the TC market. With that said, I met Ragnar(Joe) about 3 years ago at our local father/son banquet at our church. Somehow, he caught wind that I'm a loyal GB fan/MN hater and made it a point to sit right next to me during dinner. Jokes/wisecracks were volleyed eachother's way, but this guy is a helluva good guy. He gave me one of those Ragnar dolls like he gave Brett, signed....which I have hanging from a noose made of green/gold beads :D :D

Great first post Greensled! Hope to hear more from you.

And great idea with that noose. :twisted: :wink:

CaptainKickass
09-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Can we get a photo? I can't believe you'd post a description like that without a certainly hilarious visual to go with it.

Someone lend this guy a camera.

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't post here much(at all :D), but am a loyal western-Wisconsin Packerbacker stuck in the TC market. With that said, I met Ragnar(Joe) about 3 years ago at our local father/son banquet at our church. Somehow, he caught wind that I'm a loyal GB fan/MN hater and made it a point to sit right next to me during dinner. Jokes/wisecracks were volleyed eachother's way, but this guy is a helluva good guy. He gave me one of those Ragnar dolls like he gave Brett, signed....which I have hanging from a noose made of green/gold beads :D :DWell thats a helluva way to start off man! If you can get a picture of the Ragnar doll email it to admin@packerrats.com and I will put it up for you. In fact you can make it your avatar!! :lol:

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 03:23 PM
I rip him when he plays poorly and I'll praise him when he plays well. I'm a Packers fan who loves the team more than any one player, sorry for that :lol:

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 03:42 PM
If your so fucking hardcore you would root for him over Brady cuz last I checked he is the Packers QB.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Class act.

When Favre left the field after the game, he stopped to hug the Vikings mascot, the stringy-bearded Ragnar. It was the 16th time Ragnar -- a Minnesotan named Joe Juranich -- had seen Favre come into the 'Dome, and the first time they hugged. Ragnar stands for all things Vikings. Favre has been the archrival. Juranich knows he should hate Favre, but he can't. When Favre had gone, Juranich said: "I went out into the parking lots today before the game, because I wanted to tell the fans, 'Don't you dare boo this man today. He's been through so much, and he's such a credit to the game. We should cheer him, and give him credit for being such a great player over the years.' You just have to admire him. I mean this: It's good to see him break it here.''

The Leaper
10-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Actually, Ragnar sounds like a really cool guy. I wonder if he goes to road games. I'd like to invite him over for a Brat and beer.

Someone should invite him to Lambeau to cheer the Packers to victory over the Bears Sunday night. I don't mind letting a respectable Viking into town to add to their enjoyment of seeing the pathetic Bears get their 4th new asshole this season. If the Lions had any fans, I'd invite one of them to come along as well.

MadtownPacker
10-01-2007, 10:50 AM

Someone should invite him to Lambeau to cheer the Packers to victory over the Bears Sunday night. I don't mind letting a respectable Viking into town to add to their enjoyment of seeing the pathetic Bears get their 4th new asshole this season. If the Lions had any fans, I'd invite one of them to come along as well.We got one of those already.

Right Rastak?

Thats cool that Ragnar felt honored to witness history.

woodbuck27
10-01-2007, 11:16 AM

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/joemailman25/ragnar.jpg

Better get a dozen Brats and two cases of beer in Joemailman.

He looks like he can eat a lot and quaff the suds. Maybe toss in some salad too. :)

woodbuck27
10-01-2007, 11:23 AM
I rip him when he plays poorly and I'll praise him when he plays well. I'm a Packers fan who loves the team more than any one player, sorry for that :lol:

Well now Brett is winning you over on two sides b bulldog. Ehh.

He is our MVP right now and because of that the team is helped to 4-0.

Why anyone would not have faith in Favre after all his shows of committment is beyond me.

You so much wanted him G.O.N.E.

What is up with that and especially you being such a core Packer fan. . .uhhhh.

Scratching my head. :?