PDA

View Full Version : CHARGER BLOGGER Critiques Lambeau and Fans

Bretsky
09-29-2007, 11:04 PM
http://sportsyenta.blogspot.com/2007/09/stadium-review-lambeau-field.html

As mentioned in a post yesterday, McD, Booter (our resident legal expert) and I spent Sunday afternoon at Lambeau Field, watching our beloved San Diego Chargers completely crap the bed defensively against the Packers. Anytime I visit a new stadium, I like to evaluate it on several levels to see how it stacks up against the others I've been to. Lambeau scored very highly on several aspects of my test but utterly failed on others. I really wasn't expecting that. This was supposed to be hallowed ground. And while the ambiance did live up to expectations, many other factors simply did not. Here follows my review of Lambeau.

All ratings are on a scale from 0-10, 10 equaling perfection:

Atmosphere: 8.5
The stadium itself is much like you see on television. The fact that you're in a big bowl, with fans packed tightly together makes you feel like you're in an old school stadium. The Packers' Ring of Honor also connects you to the former greats who have played there as well. But recent improvements aimed at modernizing the building do take away from the overall feeling that you're in a historic building.

Facilities: 9
No complaints here. Other than the ridiculous walk up a circular ramp to our seats, the facilities were top notch. Everything from the two large, easily visible scoreboards, to the beautiful atrium as you enter made you feel like you were in a fully modern, state-of-the-art stadium.

Food: 5
Incredibly average. Nothing special here. The hot dogs were alright, the beer selection (Miller products) was disappointing and sadly the bratwursts were actually pretty bad. The only saving grace was a nicely priced chicken tenders and fries basket. But really we all got the feeling that the food in the parking lot at the tailgate was probably way better than anything in the stadium.

Seats: 3
The sight-lines were perfect and I really don't think there is a bad seat in the house, but my back was killing me after the game because of those lame metal benches. While I'm all for the old-style benches making us all feel like we're watching a game in 1955, the kind that have no back really suck. I refuse to pay for a ticket (ok, so I didn't actually pay for my ticket) and then pay to rent a seat cushion with a back on it so I can feel comfortable. If you're going to spend more money updating the stadium, how about fixing that huh?

Tailgate Atmosphere: 9
Not just the walk-up, parking lot area, but all the surrounding bars, parking lots and streets were flush with tons of people, activity and guys on PA systems yelling innocuous statements and encouraging people to sing karaoke. There were drinking games, mechanical bull riding contests, and tons of drunk middle aged guys trying to slur insults at passing Chargers fans. Basically it's what I imagine Mardi Gras would be like if it was run by the YMCA and everyone was over 35-years-old.

Fan Support: 9
Bear in mind, this has nothing to do with fan etiquette which will come later. That said, the Packers fans were loud and they all showed up in their Packers jerseys. Boy did they show up in their Packers jerseys. Here's a list of all the different players jerseys we saw, and these are just the ones we can remember: #25 Dorsey Levens, #34 Edgar Bennett, #52 Frank Winters, #88 Keith Jackson, #32 Samkon Gado, #12 Aaron Rodgers, #36 Leroy Butler, #42 Darren Sharper, #21 Craig Newsome, #92 Reggie White, #77 Cullen Jenkins, #50 A.J. Hawk, #15 Bart Starr, #5 Paul Hornug, #59 Wayne Simmons, #7 Don Majkowski, #89 Mark Chmura, #32 Brandon Jackson, #89 Robert Ferguson, #87 Robert Brooks, #66 Ray Nitschke, #88 Bubba Franks, #4 Brett Favre, #86 Antonio Freeman, #84 Javon Walker, #84 Sterling Sharpe, #93 Gilbert Brown, #82 Don Beebe, #56 Nick Barnett, #76 Chad Clifton, #96 Sean Jones, #34 Mike McKenzie, #85 Greg Jennings, #52 Abdul Hodge, #51 Brady Poppinga, #21 Charles Woodson, #74 Aaron Kampman, #80 Donald Driver, #59 Na'il Diggs, #94 Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, #30 Ahman Green, #33 William Henderson, #3 Tony Canadeo ... like I said, those are just the ones we remember seeing. It was insane.

Eye Candy: -12
Guh. Seriously, Wisconsin has a serious problem when it comes to women. There was not a semi-good looking one to be found. Anywhere. At all. Even the Miller girls at the local bars were gross. There is not a quantifiable amount of alcohol I'd have to drink to nail the average chick I saw. I didn't expect much from Green Bay, but this was atrocious. I figured there would be some token moderately attractive women somewhere. I thought wrong. The utter lack of "foaf" (yeah it's my word, feel free to use it) at Lambeau really took away from the experience.

Fans: 2
This refers to the general attitude of the fans as we experienced it. Of course any time you're a visiting fan wearing your team's jersey in a stadium with rabid fans, you can expect to eat a certain level of sh*t. We were fully prepared for that and it didn't bother us at all. It's not the heckling that bugged us, it's how freaking annoying and un-knowledgeable the fans around us were. So much so that the two long-time season ticket holders behind us were constantly apologizing for the way the other fans were acting. We didn't so much as respond to one bit of the razzing we were taking. We purposely just sat there, cheered when our team did well but didn't fire back. It's fine to heckle but when the game is over, you don't gloat or cat-call the opposing fans, you say "good game" and shake their hands/pat them on the back. Only one fan (not including the two gentlemen behind us) acted classy and didn't try to rub it in. If the Chargers had won I think they would have started crying.

On the way to the exit and through the parking lot to the car we finally started responding because we were fed up. Here are two of the exchanges I had with them:
Packer fan #2 with ugly chick on his arm: "Go home!"
Me: "You mean San Diego, where the weather is perfect and the chicks are hot? Yeah I'm headed there right now. Enjoy the trip back to your duplex with your brutal chick man. We lost a football game, you lost in life."

Female Packer fan: "Hey! Hey! Can you turn around, my boyfriend wants to take a picture of you and your friends being all sad because you lost!"
Me: "Hey, can you just hold on for a second. I want to take a picture of you because when I describe how ugly the women are here my friends won't believe me unless I have photo evidence."

Encounters like these prompted lifelong Vikings fan and friend of the program, Mike to say, "I almost forgot why I hate Packers fans."

Another thing that constantly bothers me is when fans don't fully understand the rules. Either someone needs to explain them to Packers fans everywhere or they just had "Pass Interference Tourettes." Literally every incomplete pass (I'm not exaggerating here) resulted in two solid minutes of booing, whining and moans for PI calls. Ridiculous.

Bretsky
09-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Seems like this guy was a bit bitter; but he has a couple stingers to shoot back after the game

Joemailman
09-29-2007, 11:26 PM
This guy seems surprised that the food being served by tailgaters is better than the food being served in the stadium. :crazy:

3irty1
09-30-2007, 12:57 AM
He does sound a little bitter but I know what he means about our fans. Its not that they are mean its that they are drunk. Packer tickets are rare for most of us so when you get them you celebrate :) Also the seating in Lambeau is wonderful. I love that tightly packed atmosphere. And all the games Ive been too there isn't much sitting anyways.

And seriously what did he expect for food? Of course the tailgating is better! And the women? :wink: That's just a side effect of the brats and beer.

Partial
09-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Yes if I liked my women pretentious and plastic I would certainly head to San Diego. No thanks.

woodbuck27
09-30-2007, 01:28 AM
Good looking ladies at a sporting event only serve as a distraction.

I attended a Junior hockey game at Harbour Station in Saint John,New Brunswick this evening and the Ladies there were simply jaw dropping knock down dead gorgeous.

Great Irish blood in this city (my home town), but what are the young women eating these days. . . mmmm.

Rudeness in over the top heckling is a disgrace and shameful behaviour and simply a factor of ignorance. That a fan of a rival team should have to bear up and endure that is too sad.

The best response to heckling that goes on and on is NO RESPONSE but the finger. :)

motife
09-30-2007, 01:41 AM
My btother went to school at Madison in the early 80's and I used to think the same thing. "Where are the good looking chicks?" There weren't any. And this was a college campus! I live near Iowa City and it's FULL of hot looking women, believe. In summertime you can barely stand it, they're all tan and almost naked. but Wisconsin? First of all they're largely overweight, they don't take care of themselves, they wear unattractive clothes, their hair is usually unwashed, and they have no makeup. I mentioned that to my brother at the time, and left with that impression.

Kiwon
09-30-2007, 01:52 AM
:D Don't drop that weapon, Motife. You may need it to defend yourself from the PR gals.

Brutal critique. Holy Cow!

Partial
09-30-2007, 01:52 AM
My btother went to school at Madison in the early 80's and I used to think the same thing. "Where are the good looking chicks?" There weren't any. And this was a college campus! I live near Iowa City and it's FULL of hot looking women, believe. In summertime you can barely stand it, they're all tan and almost naked. but Wisconsin? First of all they're largely overweight, they don't take care of themselves, they wear unattractive clothes, their hair is usually unwashed, and they have no makeup. I mentioned that to my brother at the time, and left with that impression.

You're smoking crack. Madison is one of the best places to babe watch. I have seen more unbelievably gorgeous women there than I could ever know what to do with.

GoPackGo
09-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Guh. Seriously, Wisconsin has a serious problem when it comes to women. There was not a semi-good looking one to be found. Anywhere. At all. Even the Miller girls at the local bars were gross. There is not a quantifiable amount of alcohol I'd have to drink to nail the average chick I saw. I didn't expect much from Green Bay, but this was atrocious. I figured there would be some token moderately attractive women somewhere. I thought wrong. The utter lack of "foaf" (yeah it's my word, feel free to use it) at Lambeau really took away from the experience.

What a loser. who goes to Lambeau to watch a football game and cares about the eye candy?

mmmdk
09-30-2007, 03:34 AM

What a loser. who goes to Lambeau to watch a football game and cares about the eye candy?

I agree; what a loser. I experienced nothing like it last season (the St. Louis game), the only thing I agree with is the stadium food - that was awful but also somewhat expected.

I do have a small note; I have nearly 150 Packer games on DVD and I do miss the noise from the audience. I think Packer fans, these days, can do better - WIN OR LOSE! MAKE SOME NOISE - EVEN IN THE METRO :P

mmmdk
09-30-2007, 03:42 AM

I agree; what a loser. I experienced nothing like it last season (the St. Louis game), the only thing I agree with is the stadium food - that was awful but also somewhat expected.

I do have a small note; I have nearly 150 Packer games on DVD and I do miss the noise from the audience. I think Packer fans, these days, can do better - WIN OR LOSE! MAKE SOME NOISE - EVEN IN THE METRO :P

Furthermore; the tailgating is out of this world 8-) Plus the people I talked to, especially pregame friday & saturday were awesome. Also, I've made a lifelong friend from DeForest. He considers me Packer family. Awesome. That's why I'm a Packer fan. Same thing with FC Barcelona in Spain.

Patler
09-30-2007, 05:23 AM

On the way to the exit and through the parking lot to the car we finally started responding because we were fed up. Here are two of the exchanges I had with them:
Me: "You mean San Diego, where the weather is perfect and the chicks are hot? Yeah I'm headed there right now. Enjoy the trip back to your duplex with your brutal chick man. We lost a football game, you lost in life."

Female Packer fan: "Hey! Hey! Can you turn around, my boyfriend wants to take a picture of you and your friends being all sad because you lost!"
Me: "Hey, can you just hold on for a second. I want to take a picture of you because when I describe how ugly the women are here my friends won't believe me unless I have photo evidence."

Encounters like these prompted lifelong Vikings fan and friend of the program, Mike to say, "I almost forgot why I hate Packers fans."

Is it just me, or does his "response" seem just a tad overboard? He was heckled as a fan about the game and his team, and he responds with personal attacks to the individual with comments having no connection to the game at all. Sounds like an ill-mannered 10-year-old, not an adult.

Bretsky
09-30-2007, 08:40 AM
No, not if you've been treated rudely for a few hours already.

I remember being at the Badger Michigan game several years back where there was the close game and when receiving a punt at the very end of the game Brett Bell. Bell was blocking and allowed the ball to bounce into his leg at the Badger 25 or so at the very end of the game. Michigan brought out the FG unit and won by 3.

I was stuck scalping a ticket and ended up in a section with mostly Michigan fans. This has occured a few times and I'd say hands down Michigan fans were the most outspken, arrgogant jerks of all the fans I've sat with.

After the game their contingency of Wolverine Trolls chanted we own Randall as we left the field. Looking at those comments versus what I wanted to say, to me that's not too bad. When Michigan was crushed by Tennessee something like 55-14 in the final bowl game, I thought about the jag offs sitting behind me who discussed going to the Bowl game at year end......I was hoping they were there and miserable.

After that game, Michigan was hands down my most Big Ten Program.
Before that is was Ohio State; but Ohio State fans showed more class.

B

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Is it just me, or does his "response" seem just a tad overboard? He was heckled as a fan about the game and his team, and he responds with personal attacks to the individual with comments having no connection to the game at all. Sounds like an ill-mannered 10-year-old, not an adult.

I completely agree. There was another Charger fan who thought Packer fans were great about not rubbing it in. It sounds like this guy took it way too far. Calling a woman ugly to her face is something I could never do. I don't think I'm a great person, but you don't insult somebodys personal appearance. I think that's covered in "I'm not a piece of shit 101" somewhere between ages 5 and 7.

Patler
09-30-2007, 09:38 AM

I completely agree. There was another Charger fan who thought Packer fans were great about not rubbing it in. It sounds like this guy took it way too far. Calling a woman ugly to her face is something I could never do. I don't think I'm a great person, but you don't insult somebodys personal appearance. I think that's covered in "I'm not a piece of shit 101" somewhere between ages 5 and 7.

Exactly. If he had a need to respond, it should have been with a comment about the team, not a personal attack. He was "insulted" as a fan, not personally.

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 09:45 AM

In the early 80's? Well heck yeah... how hot can one be when stuck wearing leg warmers, cut up sweatshirts and mall hair? either that or you really do need to stop trying to pick up women at Walmart. BTW, no offense to my fellow rats who shop there!!

HarveyWallbangers
09-30-2007, 09:45 AM
How immature does somebody have to be to believe that a city doesn't have any attractive women, or even has mostly unattractive women. Sounds bitter. I know I've seen plenty of good looking women in both Madison and Green Bay. (Maybe Madison more than Green Bay.) Actually, I've seen them everywhere I've traveled. I know the stadium isn't necessarily the spot to find the hottest ones in the city, but get real. Good thing I'm married, and no longer worry about such things.
:D

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 09:47 AM

I agree, Patler. I also really hate when someone only tells half the story to get their point across. Not even worth a response, but he obviously was way bitter about losing and resorted to personal attacks.

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 10:04 AM
This is why I dont really like Southern California people. Bunch of fucking snobs. I live in Central Cali where a lot of agriculture grows. We are way more down to Earth around here.

Harlan Huckleby
09-30-2007, 10:07 AM
I live in Central Cali where a lot of agriculture grows. We are way more down to Earth around here.

:lol: :lol: When's the last time YOU were out picking lettuce?

Sears Mexican.

CaliforniaCheez
09-30-2007, 10:09 AM
1) A football game is a majority male audience.

2) Unlike San Diego, September in WI is not bikini weather. September is the hottest month in San Diego(I lived their for years).

3) Californians do tend to place greater value on the impractical.

4) Average food?? Did he really expect salad, tofu, and fish tacos? Californian cuisine is different from the rest of the US. The best ballpark nachos are in San Diego but I would prefer Lambeau food(personal preference).

5) Eye candy?? I know that with the large military presence in San Diego there are more strippers per capita than many other places but really; You can put naked women all over a bad product and it is still a bad product. Where do you expect eye candy at a ballpark?

6) Who ever goes to an opposing team stadium and expects women to welcome and fawn over them?

7) How much Spanish is spoken at Lambeau?? A lot less than at the Murph!

Being a transplant in California, I can laugh at the guy who didn't even pay for his ticket.

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 10:18 AM
I live in Central Cali where a lot of agriculture grows. We are way more down to Earth around here.

Sears Mexican.Lettuce doesnt grow around here, have to go towards the coast for that. Grapes are the main vein and I HAVE picked (in 100+ temps), pruned, and tied (in cold weather the vines get hard and slap you in the face, stings like a mofo) grape vines. Picking is hard work that a Trustfund baby like you couldn't do. Stick to your keyboard and pencil wimp.

Harlan Huckleby
09-30-2007, 10:20 AM
when does this trustfund come in? I'll take it!

I worked at a job stacking cinder blocks in 100 degree heat. Picking grapes - big deal.

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Maybe it is harder but you where building a border wall to keep illegals out. I was working to earn a paycheck.

Iron Mike
09-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Sears Mexican.Lettuce doesnt grow around here, have to go towards the coast for that. Grapes are the main vein and I HAVE picked (in 100+ temps), pruned, and tied (in cold weather the vines get hard and slap you in the face, stings like a mofo) grape vines. Picking is hard work that a Trustfund baby like you couldn't do. Stick to your keyboard and pencil wimp.

IIRC there was a LOT of lettuce grown in Salinas when I was stationed out there. Artichokes up around Castroville, garlic around Gilroy, Brussel sprouts up near Capitola.

Bossman641
09-30-2007, 02:08 PM

IIRC there was a LOT of lettuce grown in Salinas when I was stationed out there. Artichokes up around Castroville, garlic around Gilroy, Brussel sprouts up near Capitola.

Iron Mike, I love that picture in your signature. Cracked me up the first time I saw it.