PDA

View Full Version : How official game threads work

Him8123
09-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Alright everyone today is the day we do something we haven`t done since 98. 4-0 here we come!!!!!

LL2
09-30-2007, 08:22 AM
I want to see if Morency can make a difference today. Even if he gets 75 yards against that Viking defense that will be a success. I also want to see Favre get another 3 TD game.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Mad's game thread streak is over and the jinx has been placed on the Pack.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Scounts Inc 2nd take:

Earlier this week, our scouts filed their advance scouting report on this week's matchup between the Packers and Vikings. Now they're back with a second look.

Matchup to watch
Minnesota RB Adrian Peterson vs. Green Bay MLB Nick Barnett
Peterson has quickly established himself as a great player. Not a really good player, but a great player. The Vikings would have the worst offense in the league by a wide margin if not for Peterson and he might already be the most physical runner in the league. He thrives off of contact. He is shifty, elusive and extremely fast and has size and strength. The only things not to like about Peterson -- who has played in just three NFL games so far -- is his ability to consistently pick up the blitz and that his running style leads you to think that his stay in the NFL might not be a long one. It will be Barnett's job, among others, to contain Peterson. Barnett will do well in the passing game when they match up one-on-one. Barnett is very active and has taken his already impressive game up a notch or two this season. He is a leader and is making an awful lot of plays. The ability to limit Peterson will be the most important aspect of this football game. He is the only player who is capable of doing consistent damage to the Packers' impressive defense.

Who should be the Vikings quarterback?
Regardless if Tarvaris Jackson is healthy or not, Kelly Holcomb should be the starter in Minnesota. He is simply a far better passer. While he did look lost at times last week in his first start with the Vikings, remember he hasn't been with the team long. He may still struggle against Green Bay, but Holcomb's timing should be better for this game. He plays on the move and is a limited athlete. The Packers will force him out of the pocket and be very aggressive coming after him. But Green Bay's top priority will be to shut down the running game. The Pack did used this strategy last week and while they shut down LaDainian Tomlinson, QB Philip Rivers picked the Packers' secondary apart, leaning heavily on TE Antonio Gates. Holcomb gives the Vikings a better chance to win. He can look for Vikings TE Visanthe Shiancoe, who should experience some success against Green Bay's subpar safeties. The wide receivers will battle Green Bay's excellent starting cornerbacks in man coverage, a matchup that clearly favors the Packers.

Can the Packers continue to win without a running game?
Green Bay has received next to nothing out of its running game this season. It is clearly the biggest weakness of this undefeated team. Brandon Jackson will probably get the bulk of the carries once again, but he doesn't look ready for prime time. He doesn't see holes, runs up the back of his blockers and lacks top quickness or burst. This week, the Packers play an outstanding Vikings run defense, particularly up the middle. Last week, six of Larry Johnson's first 15 carries went for negative yardage last week against Minnesota. The Packers will not have success this week on the ground regardless of who is carrying the ball. That means we'll see Brett Favre once again throwing an awful lot. But he is doing an outstanding job of taking what the defense gives him and isn't forcing throws that he shouldn't make. Much of the Packers' passing game is short conservative throws, which acts as an extension of their non-existent running game. They throw a lot of quick slants. They also went empty last week to spread the field horizontally and allow Favre to best choose the matchup to his liking. This was particularly effective because Greg Jennings is finally back from his hamstring injury and performed very well last week, In his absence James Jones emerged as a solid pass catcher with good size and upside. He is a rookie, but has fit in well and looks very comfortable. Donald Lee's role continues to increase and Favre has been exceptional at getting all his options involved. With these three in the mix to help deflect some attention, Donald Driver is ready to explode. Driver should get some opportunities deep in Minnesota, but is also a fantastic possession option. Favre looks his way on third downs and in crunch time. Green Bay's three prominent wide receivers are developing into a formidable group and the Packers will not hesitate to ignore their rushing attack and put the onus of the game on Favre, much as they did a week ago with success.

What can we expect from Minnesota's rushing attack?
The Vikings will lean on Adrian Peterson in a big way this week, but he is facing a very stout defense that shut down the best running back in the league just a week ago. The Packers slowed up Tomlinson with well-timed run blitzes, but didn't always dedicate an extra defender to the box. Green Bay's defensive front got the better of a very good Chargers offensive line and should fare quite well against Minnesota's front. This week, S Atari Bigby will spend a great deal of time near the line of scrimmage since the Vikings do not have a receiving weapon nearly on par with Gates. Peterson is going to have some difficult sledding this week, but the Vikings really don't have any other viable options to consistently generate offense. As a result, expect Peterson to catch more dump off and screen passes in an attempt to get him touches in space where he can use his elusiveness and speed.

Scouts' Edge

The Scouts Inc. Position Advantage
QB RB WR OL DL LB DB ST Coach

The Packers are undefeated and while the Vikings are 1-2, their losses have come by a total of six points. Green Bay's defense carried the team for the first two weeks, but the passing offense is dangerous. Green Bay still has no running game to speak of, but no one runs on the Vikings anyway. Favre is playing extremely well. He is taking what defenses are giving him and putting his passes right on the money. In contrast, the Vikings' quarterback situation is a complete mess. Winning on the road in divisional games is never easy, but we expect the Packers to leave Minnesota at 4-0.

Prediction: Packers 20, Vikings 13

Tarlam!
09-30-2007, 08:44 AM
No No No!!! CHANGE THE NAME OF THIS THREAD NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rastak
09-30-2007, 08:46 AM
No No No!!! CHANGE THE NAME OF THIS THREAD NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To late, it's already game day...even deleting it won't avoid fate now!

By the way, what up Tar!? I'm heading down to Town Hall Brewery for breakfast and a couple pints in 45 minutes.

Bretsky
09-30-2007, 08:47 AM
I think most posters are not aware of the good luck strategy employed at PR where as long as they have a winning streak the same poster starts the GD thread each week.

Do I need to cover this baby up again like I did last week and try to get rid of all the evidence ? :lol:

Rastak
09-30-2007, 08:48 AM
I think most posters are not aware of the good luck strategy employed at PR where as long as they have a winning streak the same poster starts the GD thread each week.

Do I need to cover this baby up again like I did last week and try to get rid of all the evidence ? :lol:

That was the day before....you avoided the jinx by quick action but it's too late today!

edit: I'm looking for any reason for hope!

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Sorry Rastak, but there is no jinx. I did the same thing the last year for the Bears the game day thread and we still won once the change was made. Him, didn't know the tradition.

Mad is on a 7 game win streak, please delete this thread like mine was, and no harm will come of it.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Sorry Rastak, but there is no jinx. I did the same thing the last year for the Bears the game day thread and we still won once the change was made. Him, didn't know the tradition.

Mad is on a 7 game win streak, please delete this thread like mine was, and no harm will come of it.

I took a screenshot and verified it with the football gods....the jinx was executed.

:wink:

Where is Mad anyway?

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 08:59 AM
That's right Packfan_MD dont even listen to what a guy who wears purple says unless it is Barney the dinosaur. Him8123 didnt know but I will explain how it works for everyone.

Not sure when we started doing it but basically after a loss a poster who hasn't started a game thread that season starts it any time he wants the week of the game. If the Pack wins that same poster starts the game thread for the next week. This keeps going until a loss and then it starts all over.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 09:03 AM
That's right Packfan_MD dont even listen to what a guy who wears purple says unless it is Barney the dinosaur. Him8123 didnt know but I will explain how it works for everyone.

Not sure when we started doing it but basically after a loss a poster who hasn't started a game thread that season starts it any time he wants the week of the game. If the Pack wins that same poster starts the game thread for the next week. This keeps going until a loss and then it starts all over.

Who is starting next weeks thread?

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Mad will start it if the streak is still in tact from what I understand.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Mad will start it if the streak is still in tact from what I understand.

I think my joke flew over your head.

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 09:16 AM
:oops:

haha

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 09:17 AM

Quite the comedian, aren't we, Ras? :wink:

Rastak
09-30-2007, 09:18 AM

Quite the comedian, aren't we, Ras? :wink:

Yea, ya gotta laugh or you'll cry. Actually, I expect a decent game today.

Him8123
09-30-2007, 09:42 AM
Im sorry I didnt know there was a streak, I didnt see one up yet and just thought id start one my bad.

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Im sorry I didnt know there was a streak, I didnt see one up yet and just thought id start one my bad.

You do realize that if by some small miracle we lose, you will be blamed? lol j/k with ya! :lol: kinda...sorta... maybe :twisted:

Him8123
09-30-2007, 09:54 AM
yea i realize that would be coming, if we lose I`ll kick my self off this forum

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Im sorry I didnt know there was a streak, I didnt see one up yet and just thought id start one my bad.Its all good man. It doesnt count until the keys to the car are handed over anyways.

Tarlam!
09-30-2007, 10:14 AM
[quote=Tarlam!]By the way, what up Tar!? I'm heading down to Town Hall Brewery for breakfast and a couple pints in 45 minutes.

I'll PM you Raz. Shit is flying again...

Little Whiskey
09-30-2007, 07:09 PM

never fuck with a winning streak!

Rastak
09-30-2007, 07:10 PM
[quote=Tarlam!]By the way, what up Tar!? I'm heading down to Town Hall Brewery for breakfast and a couple pints in 45 minutes.

I'll PM you Raz. Shit is flying again...

Tar, do that.

Hope it ain't bad.....

BallHawk
09-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Ras, when'd you get to 5K posts. Today?

Congrats.

Pretty sad that all except 5 of us are getting outposted by a Vikes fan. :lol:

Rastak
09-30-2007, 07:23 PM

Congrats.

Nah, I've said it before, I post a ton in live threads. There are others that post real content day in and day out. My numbers are inflated.

BallHawk
09-30-2007, 07:28 PM
Some post a lot in game threads, others post boatloads of articles.

And who hasn't bloated their total with game threads? I had 150 in a preseason game once. :lol:

Little Whiskey
10-01-2007, 12:25 PM

Congrats.

Nah, I've said it before, I post a ton in live threads. There are others that post real content day in and day out. My numbers are inflated.

HGH? maybe mad should institute a test for this?

the_idle_threat
10-01-2007, 05:16 PM
Headline: Steroids Scandal Rocks PackerRats

Quoth "Bretsky:" "I thought it was Icy Hot I wuz rubbin on my surgically reparied knee!"

Investigators tesitfy it was the largest "Skinbasket" they ever saw ...

"Harlan Huckleby" being questioned by the Feds ...

"JustinHarrell/GregJennings/NickCollins/TonyMandarich" writes in his tell-all book that he personally injected "Partial" in the buttocks on several occasions ...