PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers @ Vikings Game Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

mngolf19
09-30-2007, 03:20 PM
game over...vikings suck

Well said. 4-0 if we can figure out how to kneel and the refs don't screw this up.

Actually I thought they played a good game.

Kudos for stopping in Mngolf. Bearman would hide for 1-2 weeks. :D

Good game!!

So he will be gone another 2 weeks then I guess. :lol:

RashanGary
We didn't get any lucky bounces and we won. First half was pretty even. Second half, the better team won.

MadScientist
game over...vikings suck

Well said. 4-0 if we can figure out how to kneel and the refs don't screw this up.

They played tougher than expected. If they had a coach who knew how to get the ball in the hands in the playmaker, it would have been even closer. Fortunately they don't. :D

GrnBay007
09-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Ok my friends, now can everyone route for the Chargers cause I gotta wad of cash on em to cover 11.

I'm cheering!! :D

Iron Mike
09-30-2007, 03:21 PM
game over...vikings suck

Yep. Longwell can take all of his Love Boat buddies over to someplace that's not Applebee's and celebrate being 1-3. :twisted:

mngolf19
09-30-2007, 03:22 PM
game over...vikings suck

They played tougher than expected. If they had a coach who knew how to get the ball in the hands in the playmaker, it would have been even closer. Fortunately they don't. :D

Touche. But I also didn't like the OL play today. McKinnie had to be replaced in the 2nd half.

RashanGary
We didn't have an asnwer for Peterson in the first half. I agree that Childress is an awfull coach.

Next up is Chicago.

Fosco33
game over...vikings suck

Good game!!

So he will be gone another 2 weeks then I guess. :lol:

Road division game. Bigger rival than the Bears in the last 8 years IMO.

Pack played 'ok' - so did Vikes. AP is amazing and your running defense is impressive. Holcomb needs to make some of those throws. Vikes will be alright - but 1-3 is tough to come back from (trust us).

mmmdk
09-30-2007, 03:23 PM
It's a win; I'll take it.

Note; Al Harris was screaming on the sideline...at who? A coach?

I'm sorry that Ryan Grant made a bonehead play - he looked good until the error. McCarthy won't reward that next week vs. Bears.

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Dallas looked dominate against ST. Louis though. It looks like we're the 2nd best team in the NFC right now. That Dallas game is looking bigger and bigger.

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Yep. Longwell can take all of his Love Boat buddies over to someplace that's not Applebee's and celebrate being 1-3. :twisted:

LOLOL

:bump:

mngolf19
09-30-2007, 03:24 PM
[quote=Brando19]game over...vikings suck

Good game!!

So he will be gone another 2 weeks then I guess. :lol:[/quote}

Road division game. Bigger rival than the Bears in the last 8 years IMO.

Pack played 'ok' - so did Vikes. AP is amazing and your running defense is impressive. Holcomb needs to make some of those throws. Vikes will be alright - but 1-3 is tough to come back from (trust us).

At this point I am hoping for improvement and something to build on for next year.

pbmax
09-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Everyone to Applebees to celebrate win!

Congratualations to Favre on the record and winning yet another game on his arm alone (offensively at least).

I have no idea how this team would fare in the playoffs but I'll take timely plays by the defense and special teams for a win every week. Well, that plus Favre.

pbmax
09-30-2007, 03:32 PM
And I could have sworn that Griese was the second coming of Luckman for the Bears this week?

Joemailman
09-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Ok my friends, now can everyone route for the Chargers cause I gotta wad of cash on em to cover 11.

I'm with ya. I got the Chargers in the survivor pool.

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 03:33 PM
This page of the thread is hilarious:
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=8654&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=440

MadScientist
09-30-2007, 03:36 PM
At this point I am hoping for improvement and something to build on for next year.

Well, AP looks like something to build on. Just add a QB some receivers, an OL that can pass block and a secondary, and they'll be a really good team.

cheesner
09-30-2007, 03:37 PM
It's a win; I'll take it.

Note; Al Harris was screaming on the sideline...at who? A coach?

I'm sorry that Ryan Grant made a bonehead play - he looked good until the error. McCarthy won't reward that next week vs. Bears.
I believe it was the ref, who was close to the sideline.

Did not look like a good call of pass interference on that one.

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Im concerned about having to see AP the next few years. Better get a good RB in the next draft.

Bretsky
09-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Dallas looked dominate against ST. Louis though. It looks like we're the 2nd best team in the NFC right now. That Dallas game is looking bigger and bigger.

Need homefield

Maxie the Taxi
09-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Anybody know if Nick Collins' injury is serious?

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Anybody know if Nick Collins' injury is serious?He was playing so I think the only thing hurting is his ego after missing all those picks.

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Need homefield

That would be our only chance.

Maxie the Taxi
09-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Got to listen to the whole game at work. Great, great win!

Fosco33
09-30-2007, 03:45 PM
MTP - you better post a game day thread for those of us who can't travel to the game... Don't break the streak. 8-)

Rastak
09-30-2007, 03:51 PM
2nd week in a row Stevie Wonder is officiating the Vikings game....ARGGGGG!

Good game guys, Vikings had plenty of chances but they have no QB. I must admit that now. If Green Bay didn't have Favre they'd be screwed too. But they do have him so hats off to Green Bay. Congrats on the all time TD record too for Favre.

The it starts pouring out and I get friggen soaked to the bone going back to my car. * sigh *.

KYPack
09-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Anybody know if Nick Collins' injury is serious?He was playing so I think the only thing hurting is his ego after missing all those picks.

Guy's a great player, but not much with the hands.

Bet he's dropped 8 or 9 picks in his career.

We're 4 & 0.

It's a great day to be a Packer Fan!

Rastak
09-30-2007, 03:52 PM
game over...vikings suck

True...but they still suck. Put that in your pipe and smoke it SHARPER

What a gracious winner you are. Your mother drop you on your head when you were born 10 years ago?

Rastak
09-30-2007, 03:53 PM
Refs are trying to give the game to MN I see

GB, are you fucking kidding me!!!!!? :cry:

Spaulding
09-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Why Chili doesn't give the ball to Peterson 20+ per game either in receptions or rushing is beyond me. I understand the concern for injuries but he's a being paid big time and he's probably begging for the rock.

Bottom line, if they want to win their only chance is Peterson or until Jackson matures and provides a vertical game.

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 03:56 PM

GB, are you fucking kidding me!!!!!? :cry:Man, you are home from the game already? What happened, did you leave early? :lol: :lol:

Rastak
09-30-2007, 03:58 PM

GB, are you fucking kidding me!!!!!? :cry:Man, you are home from the game already? What happened, did you leave early? :lol: :lol:

It's 15 minutes down I-94.

gbpackfan
09-30-2007, 04:00 PM

Ras,

Man, what a game. The Packers tried to give it away but stepped up in the end.

Peterson is the real deal. What a great pick. Rice also looks like he has some skills. You guys need a true #1 WR, a better RT and a QB and you'd be pretty f-ing good.

Oh, maybe a new coach too. I'm not trying to pile on but what the hell?! Peterson was the invisible man in the 2nd half. The announcers couldn't believe how much time he was spending on the sidelines. Chilly HAS to get AP into the game plan more. Check downs, screens, etc.

MadtownPacker
09-30-2007, 04:00 PM
It's 15 minutes down I-94.I bet it was a long drive. :taunt:

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:04 PM

Ras,

Man, what a game. The Packers tried to give it away but stepped up in the end.

Peterson is the real deal. What a great pick. Rice also looks like he has some skills. You guys need a true #1 WR, a better RT and a QB and you'd be pretty f-ing good.

Oh, maybe a new coach too. I'm not trying to pile on but what the hell?! Peterson was the invisible man in the 2nd half. The announcers couldn't believe how much time he was spending on the sidelines. Chilly HAS to get AP into the game plan more. Check downs, screens, etc.

Yea, WTF? He has 4 carries in the second half? Shoot he damn near broke two on returns. They really didn't dump any screens to him, which is perfect for him with his speed. Rice has great hands, hell, he was open and should have had 6. Favre was laying the ball in there, Holcomb overthrowing guys. THAT was the difference.

Scott Campbell
09-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Not much traffic after the game I guess.

:D

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Not much traffic after the game I guess.

:D

And I was heading towards Wisconsin...cheeseheads were NOT clogging the freeway.

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 04:09 PM
That was a fumble, that call went our way. We got lucky on that one.

]{ilr]3
09-30-2007, 04:09 PM

Refs were horrible on that last scrorng drive for the vikes. bogus interference call to continue that drive.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:12 PM
{ilr]3]

Refs were horrible on that last scrorng drive for the vikes. bogus interference call to continue that drive.

Did you catch the fumble that looked like 6 and got called an incompletion?

Oh well, maybe they evened out but 6 point is 6 points. The "kickass offense" only get's td's every 5 quarters or so.

Scott Campbell
09-30-2007, 04:15 PM

Believe it or not, I like the idea of him taking a breather every now and then. Chester Taylor is a terrific player too, and giving him some touches keeps AP fresher and reduces the liklihood of injury.

AP should have gone 2nd in the draft. Great pick. Great player.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:16 PM

Believe it or not, I like the idea of him taking a breather every now and then. Chester Taylor is a terrific player too, and giving him some touches keeps AP fresher and reduces the liklihood of injury.

AP should have gone 2nd in the draft. Great pick. Great player.

I don't disagree you want to keep him fresh and he was kicking ass on the kick returns, but only 4 carries in the second half? I don't know.....

Lurker64
09-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Ras-

What do you think Chili needs to accomplish in the remaining 75% of the season to keep his job? I heard on the Packer pregame show this year that McCarthy's continued employment next year was contingent on his success this year (since he had a three year deal, Thompson was unlikely to bring him back for a "lame duck" year if the Packers aren't any good this year). Is Childress's job clearly in jeopardy? I know that the buzz around the Vikes this year isn't really intense and expectations are low, but if the Vikings play say .500 ball from here on out will people be calling for his head?

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Ras-

What do you think Chili needs to accomplish in the remaining 75% of the season to keep his job? I heard on the Packer pregame show this year that McCarthy's continued employment next year was contingent on his success this year (since he had a three year deal, Thompson was unlikely to bring him back for a "lame duck" year if the Packers aren't any good this year). Is Childress's job clearly in jeopardy? I know that the buzz around the Vikes this year isn't really intense and expectations are low, but if the Vikings play say .500 ball from here on out will people be calling for his head?

They gave Chilly a five year deal. Honestly, I don't know. If they completely tank he might be in trouble but I'm guessing he'll have at least next year to get his "kickass offense" working.

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Who started calling it the "kickass offense"?

Lurker64
09-30-2007, 05:02 PM

That was Brad Childress, in a press conference towards the end of last year. The Twin Cities sports media had a field day with that line.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 05:02 PM

It's a running joke in Minnesota. After a particularly bad game on offense last year Brad Childress was asked if the offense needed to change and he said "When executed properly this is a kickass offense". So now most of us call it the "kickass offense". We know it isn't.

Although they seem to leave at least 14 points on the field each week with poor throws.

Iron Mike
09-30-2007, 05:30 PM

It's a running joke in Minnesota. After a particularly bad game on offense last year Brad Childress was asked if the offense needed to change and he said "When executed properly this is a kickass offense". So now most of us call it the "kickass offense". We know it isn't.

Although they seem to leave at least 14 points on the field each week with poor throws.

I think we should change your status to "kickass rat."

We can designate "troll rat" to one of our Friendly Illinois Buddies from down South.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 05:31 PM

I think we should change your status to "kickass rat."

We can designate "troll rat" to one of our Friendly Illinois Buddies from down South.

I like it. Mad, make it so.....

Iron Mike
09-30-2007, 06:03 PM
I think I know why Rastak hangs out here.......read this rant from www.purple-pride.com:

Vikeboy (User)
Platinum Boarder

Re:Terrell Davis on NFL say Vikings "WILL BEAT PACK!" 52 Minutes ago Karma: 5

The worst thing about all this is that all the Packer wins have come via B.S. Giants suck and Manning was out, Chargers have a retard at coach who didn't use LT, Philly got screwed on 2 non calls that turned into TDs, and they beat us because we forgot to run AP and our coach is an idiot.

blah.

Time to dispatch the waahmbulance!!!! :P

http://www.blackratchet.org/etc/waaahmbulance.jpg

]{ilr]3
09-30-2007, 06:56 PM
{ilr]3]

Did you catch the fumble that looked like 6 and got called an incompletion?

Oh well, maybe they evened out but 6 point is 6 points. The "kickass offense" only get's td's every 5 quarters or so.

I guess so, i dont recall anything like that on either side of the ball :?

CaliforniaCheez
09-30-2007, 07:38 PM
The Packers scored first and never lost the lead.

It feels good to cheer for a winner.

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 08:13 PM
{ilr]3]

ty kilr, that's what I was referring to.

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 08:16 PM
If Green Bay didn't have Favre they'd be screwed too. But they do have him so hats off to Green Bay. Congrats on the all time TD record too for Favre.

Yep, we certainly would be. But our coach realizes this and uses him! If I were a Viking fan, I'd be pissed that our head coach was not using our top weapon in AP. I think you guys probably would have beaten us if they kept shoving AP at us. Not really looking forward to that matchup for the next few years...that guy is the real deal.

I wish we had a RB with 1/3 of his talent!

Carolina_Packer
09-30-2007, 09:33 PM

If we had tanked our last four games in '06 instead of going on a four game win streak, we would have had AP. Would our line have made lanes for him?

BallHawk
09-30-2007, 09:40 PM

If we had tanked our last four games in '06 instead of going on a four game win streak, we would have had AP. Would our line have made lanes for him?

If we lose our last 4 games does Favre stay? Is Rodgers our QB?

Speaking of Rodgers, did anybody catch Rodgers in the locker room after the game when Favre got the game ball?

The first thought I had was the EC Gals. :lol:

Bretsky
09-30-2007, 09:40 PM

On the other hand a great RB can make an OL look a heck of a lot better than it is

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 10:00 PM

I have never been a supporter of losing games to get better draft position. With that being said, I do think a better RB would help us right now. I mean, Green didn't seem to have problems finding holes with the same OL last year. If anything, the OL should be better this year at opening holes as they gain experience in the scheme.

I'm loving this winning streak as much as anyone else, but teams are going to figure out that we can't run the ball and being one dimensional scares me.

Partial
09-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Who is Auburn's back? He probably isn't a senior and won't get drafted high but that kid hits the hole as hard as anyone i've ever seen. He would be an excellent TT-esque draft find.

retailguy
09-30-2007, 10:15 PM

On the other hand a great RB can make an OL look a heck of a lot better than it is

Amen.

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 10:15 PM
you need to change your sig, Partial !! :cow:

BallHawk
09-30-2007, 10:27 PM

I'm a firm believer that the OL makes the RB look good. If you put Travis Henry in Green Bay does he have 450 yards this year?

retailguy
09-30-2007, 10:29 PM

I'm a firm believer that the OL makes the RB look good. If you put Travis Henry in Green Bay does he have 450 yards this year?

No, he doesn't. Not even close. But he has more yards than Jackson or Wynn do, that's for sure.

HarveyWallbangers
09-30-2007, 10:40 PM
I think Morency and Grant are going to end up being the guys that shake out of this mess, and I think both will surprise people.

Partial
09-30-2007, 10:44 PM
I think Morency and Grant are going to end up being the guys that shake out of this mess, and I think both will surprise people.

2nded.

Carolina_Packer
09-30-2007, 10:51 PM

2nded.

Not questioning your opinion, just looking for elaboration on your point. Why do you think Grant is for real? I'm not doubting, just don't know what he brings.

BallHawk
09-30-2007, 10:54 PM
The only back that I have confidence in is Morency. He's done it before. Whether he has the most talent, that is debatable, but he's capable of being a serviceable back, which is what we need. We don't need a superstar, we just need a guy to take the pressure of Favre a bit and make them respect the run. Of course, we're doing fine now, but teams will adjust. You need a running game to be a successful team in the postseason.

Grant, I think he could be pretty good. I don't think much of Wynn. Jackson has disappointed.

HarveyWallbangers
09-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Not questioning your opinion, just looking for elaboration on your point. Why do you think Grant is for real? I'm not doubting, just don't know what he brings.

It's a small sample, but I've liked what I've seen. I know he fumbled--which is inexcusable. However, he was probably a bit nervous. It might have been the first time in the pros he got a carry late in a close game. The ability is there. He's big and ran a 4.43 40 coming out, so his speed is good. The spin move against the Giants was nice. He seems like he has good hands also. He'll get his opportunity. Reading between the lines, I think the coaches think they found a baller there.

Partial
10-01-2007, 12:40 AM

2nded.

I was leaning more towards Morency. I think he is going to be a good player. He reminds of Donald Driver. Yes, I realize thats an odd comparison, but they have the same running and juke style. Morency had a few big plays for us already and I am sure he is rusty right now. He should provide some confidence in the backfield through his knowledge of the playbook, experience and reliability in blitz pick-up.

Tarlam!
10-01-2007, 01:11 AM
Four and OH!

Nuff said.

:knll:

woodbuck27
10-01-2007, 02:15 AM
http://www.packers.com/splash/

Carolina_Packer
10-01-2007, 11:59 AM

2nded.

I was leaning more towards Morency. I think he is going to be a good player. He reminds of Donald Driver. Yes, I realize thats an odd comparison, but they have the same running and juke style. Morency had a few big plays for us already and I am sure he is rusty right now. He should provide some confidence in the backfield through his knowledge of the playbook, experience and reliability in blitz pick-up.

I am happy with 4-0, and who wouldn't be, and I'm glad that our lack of running game has not hurt us so far. I do think that the one thing that TT did that was risky was to go with so much young, inexperienced talent at RB. I'm sure he felt like they had the potential, but really, we didn't have to roll any dice; we could have gotten a veteran talent to help take pressure off the young players, and not throw them into the fire and expect so much of them right away. It's a gamble that TT made that so far has not affected us in the wins and losses column, and again, I'm glad for that. But, I think most would agree that it was the riskier move to make, relying on 2 rookies, a second year reserve in Ryan Grant and a part-time starter in Morency. That's risky in my opinion. Since we have gotten this far without a run game of consequence, perhaps the coaching staff can now fix the risk that TT took that could have, but did not blow up in the Packers' face. I know injuries happened, but that's what made the risk that TT took in the running game have that much less of a margin for error.

Other people can debate who we could have gotten in free agency at RB. Obviously that's a moot point now that we are here on Oct. 1st., but the RB situation is still one that needs addressing, but the only thing left to do this year is coach 'em up, study film, and practice and try like hell to get better.

Yes, we're 4-0, and that's awesome, wonderul, and great, but I'm sure there are those who hope like I do that we get this problem figured out and do not look at it as criticism, but know that we need the running game to come around in order to go to the next level and make the playoffs, and do damage in the playoffs. That's where it's hard to go back to the cause and effect of that offseason risk that TT took in not shoring up the running game, but gambling on young development. We have youth at other positions, but we typically have at least one veteran in the group; not so in the running back core. That's not the running back's fault for being young, it's a personnel thing, which goes back to the top. We gotta run with the horses we have though, but we are asking them to hurry up and be respectable, so we'll see if they are equal to the task.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 12:29 PM
As I see it, signing Travis Henry, resigning Ahman Green, or signing Chris Brown for cheap were the three options that most wanted. I was one that said I was okay with what Green Bay did. I thought Morency would be decent, and I was hoping that Jackson, Wynn, or P.J. Pope would provide a nice complement. Jackson more than the others.

My other thinking was that it's been relatively easy to find good rookie RBs (more than other positions), and I thought the OL would improve a lot. None of this has really happened. The RBs haven't been overly impressive. Jackson has disappointed me a bit, but I'm not ready to write him. I'd like to see him get some holes. I think Morency will help. I think Grant has flashed some things. More than anything the last two games, Green Bay has went completely away from the running game, but I have seen some improvement. Maybe I'm being too positive here, but I still think it comes down to blocking and I still think the guys in the OL have the potential to at least provide a serviceable running game.

As far as the RBs we could have picked up, it was a pretty weak crop. I didn't want Henry for the money. He's been a big-time fumbler and he's one strike away from being suspended for a year. To me, he wasn't worth the big money. I like Ahman, but at his age and the wear and tear he has, I also thought he wasn't worth the money. Brown had a huge game in week 1, but hasn't done anything since. I wasn't for trading two first day picks for Willis McGahee either (which might have meant no James Jones and no 3rd round pick next year). To me, he's overrated. The rest of the guys were guys like Dominic Rhodes, and I'm not convinced those guys are all that much better than what we have.

The most intriguing guy was probably Michael Turner for a 1st round pick, and I'm not sure I was all for that. With Harrell struggling right now, it's easy to say we should have gone after Turner. However, I don't think any of these decisions were as obvious as people make them out to be.

Carolina_Packer
10-01-2007, 02:19 PM
As I see it, signing Travis Henry, resigning Ahman Green, or signing Chris Brown for cheap were the three options that most wanted. I was one that said I was okay with what Green Bay did. I thought Morency would be decent, and I was hoping that Jackson, Wynn, or P.J. Pope would provide a nice complement. Jackson more than the others.

My other thinking was that it's been relatively easy to find good rookie RBs (more than other positions), and I thought the OL would improve a lot. None of this has really happened. The RBs haven't been overly impressive. Jackson has disappointed me a bit, but I'm not ready to write him. I'd like to see him get some holes. I think Morency will help. I think Grant has flashed some things. More than anything the last two games, Green Bay has went completely away from the running game, but I have seen some improvement. Maybe I'm being too positive here, but I still think it comes down to blocking and I still think the guys in the OL have the potential to at least provide a serviceable running game.

As far as the RBs we could have picked up, it was a pretty weak crop. I didn't want Henry for the money. He's been a big-time fumbler and he's one strike away from being suspended for a year. To me, he wasn't worth the big money. I like Ahman, but at his age and the wear and tear he has, I also thought he wasn't worth the money. Brown had a huge game in week 1, but hasn't done anything since. I wasn't for trading two first day picks for Willis McGahee either (which might have meant no James Jones and no 3rd round pick next year). To me, he's overrated. The rest of the guys were guys like Dominic Rhodes, and I'm not convinced those guys are all that much better than what we have.

The most intriguing guy was probably Michael Turner for a 1st round pick, and I'm not sure I was all for that. With Harrell struggling right now, it's easy to say we should have gone after Turner. However, I don't think any of these decisions were as obvious as people make them out to be.

So it sounds like you think there weren't a lot of great options and we were kind of forced into this situation. I guess the only thing they could have tried to do is draft a running back back in 2005 or 2006, knowing that Ahman was going to be getting close to the end of his contract. Again, there are no guarantees, but we don't always have to shop at the discount store for our RB talent. Granted, Jackson was a 2nd rounder, and, I'm with you that he can't be written off yet, however, TT put him in a position of having to contribute immediately, which is great for Jackson, but not so great for the team, IMO. I'm not doubting he can become something, but why lay it all on inexperience and relatively untested talent? By adding a running back in the drafts here and there, you don't get into a situation where you draft two in one draft the same year you need to replace your veteran talent. It's a timing thing to me. Was there anyone worth drafting in 2005, 2006 that could have been helpful now? Who knows. That's just one idea for how we could have avoided the risky situation we found ourselves in. Again, we're yet to be hurt by it record-wise, and I'd be happy if we never were, but let's be real...we need to have at least a serviceable running game. I hope we have enough talent to have one.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Again, there are no guarantees, but we don't always have to shop at the discount store for our RB talent. Granted, Jackson was a 2nd rounder, and, I'm with you that he can't be written off yet, however, TT put him in a position of having to contribute immediately, which is great for Jackson, but not so great for the team, IMO.

Some if this is valid, but I think they thought that had half the piece to the puzzle in Morency and the other half in a 2nd round RB. To me, that's not doing nothing or going cheap. That's saying we think we have a good one and we are going to supplement him with a high draft pick (not to mention a late pick with character issues and a young guy that I think they thought could contribute in Pope). When Pope got injured and the other guys didn't show much, he traded a 6th round pick for Grant--who looks intriguing. We'll see. Even with Ahman, our running game was pathetic early last year, but it got considerably better by the end of the year.

Partial
10-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Again, there are no guarantees, but we don't always have to shop at the discount store for our RB talent. Granted, Jackson was a 2nd rounder, and, I'm with you that he can't be written off yet, however, TT put him in a position of having to contribute immediately, which is great for Jackson, but not so great for the team, IMO.

Some if this is valid, but I think they thought that had half the piece to the puzzle in Morency and the other half in a 2nd round RB. To me, that's not doing nothing or going cheap. That's saying we think we have a good one and we are going to supplement him with a high draft pick (not to mention a late pick with character issues and a young guy that I think they thought could contribute in Pope). When Pope got injured and the other guys didn't show much, he traded a 6th round pick for Grant--who looks intriguing. We'll see. Even with Ahman, our running game was pathetic early last year, but it got considerably better by the end of the year.

Likewise I feel like even with Ahman we wouldn't have ran the ball the past two weeks. Perhaps we would have been slightly better in pass blocking and in short passes to the flat, but we didn't need to be any better yet since we won. Did Green play last week?

Maxie the Taxi
10-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Ryan Grant has the best yards per carry average (4.5) on the team (except for our punter!).

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Ryan Grant has the best yards per carry average (4.5) on the team (except for our punter!).

ya, but he didn't have to run into the stone wall on short yardage. Wynn was used as the power back.

I bet the coaches have a good hunch as to the pecking order of the backs. The stats from the few carries those guys are getting do not mean much.

I think Jackson needs to take a seat, he's clearly not ready. Maybe Grant is the main guy. Or Morency. Wynn is the short yardage back. Wynn also appears to be the best blocker of the bunch, maybe they groom him for third down protection and pass receiving.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Wynn sucks as a pass catcher though. I could see Wynn on short yardage, Grant on third down, and Morency as the primary guy--with Jackson mixed in each group.

Rastak
10-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Hindsight is always 2/20 to quote an overused phrase. The Turner deal was what I thought might work. I also liked Henry.