PDA

View Full Version : defense

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 03:27 PM
the Vikings D is awesome. Give that team a QB and they might be the best team in the NFC. Peterson is everything the Bush folks wanted Bush to be and Rice looks very promising. I also like greenway, he seems to have a nose for the ball and the refs gave us a break on that fumble that he recovered. If it weren't for a super man effort by 4, we lose this game. Our running game is an embarrassment. Our backs are just guys and the linemen run block like crap. Colledge is awful! Our D is the third best in the north imo when everyone is healthy. :(

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 03:31 PM
The Bears, Vikings and Packers all have very good defenses. Even if we are third with the Bears healthy, that is really not an insult. We might have the three best defenses in the NFC.

Our ST's are better than most. Our offense is better than the Bears and Vikings. Overall we have the better team, but you are right that Favre is scale tipper. If Favre got another SB, he'd be in the conversation with the best ever. It's definitly nice to have him on our team.

What's amazing is favre does it with kids up front, no running back and maybe the most obscure set of WR's in the league. Brett is amazing!! Go Pack!!

Iron Mike
09-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Maybe they could get Moss and Pep back next year. :P

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 03:34 PM
I agree with you nick in regards to Brett and another ring. The Vikes and the Pack are very even without Brett at the helm.

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Honestly, our D is not a dominat D imo. They gave way too much to Pete.i

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 03:35 PM
I agree with you nick in regards to Brett and another ring. The Vikes and the Pack are very even without Brett at the helm.

Take Brett out and the Vikes are better. Their defense and run game is top notch.

mmmdk
09-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Take Brett out and the Vikes are better. Their defense and run game is top notch.

I think I agree...Bears will lose both games to Vikings - I'm sure of that or as sure as I can be.

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Their WR's aren't very good though cause of youth and their right side of their oline is average at best but our whole line might be that way in the run blocking game.

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Favre is the greatest. Maybe the greatest ever. If he was on the Vikings they'd be unstoppable. If he were on the Pats he'd have like 6 rings.

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Kool aid??? Settle down a tad. I'm not starting this again. As was said on the pregame show, opinions are what it comes down to with the top qb's of all-time but Montana will always be the gretaest imo although Manning/Brady have lots of time yet. I'm very happy that Brett is playing so dominantly at the moment, hopefully he continues this.

Lurker64
09-30-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't want to draw too many conclusions about this team from this game. Packer-Viking games are always very close, usually closer than they should be. In our superbowl year we lost 30-21 to a Vikings squad that only had eight other wins.

The Green Bay-Mn games are always tight no matter which of the teams is good and which isn't, for some reason. I'm just happy to get out of the Dome with a win.

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Great point but minny's running game was gashing us.

PackerTimer
09-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Great point but minny's running game was gashing us.

i have a feeling AP is gonna gash alot of people. i was really impressed with the way he plays. bulldog, i agree with you about the vikes. if they had a qb, they would be a damn good team.

gbpackfan
09-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Minny gained 93 of their 155 yards on two plays. The Packers D had two run breakdowns. All in all, it wasnt that bad. Now, they SHOULD work on it. I would be more worried about our run O then our run D.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Yea, but they don't so it's a moot point.

:(

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah, the same way LT and Westbrook gashed us.

Good defenses close out games. We are closing out games. Nuff said.

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Maybe next year. Your D is talented and boy do they swarm to the ball. I was very impressed with them but even more so with Brett and his decision making.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Maybe next year. Your D is talented and boy do they swarm to the ball. I was very impressed with them but even more so with Brett and his decision making.

Favre was rockin. His arm is gonna fall off by the end of the year though....

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 04:00 PM

Haha, I wouldn't hold yoru breath.

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 04:02 PM
What will ultimately do us in is this crappy ground game. We will get in trouble against the likes of Dallas and Denver on the road where a solid ground game is needed. If this team could develop a ground game this team could be a strong candidate for the SB.

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 04:03 PM
aLL OF THIS passing will be putting too much pressure on Brett and he will have a bad game as everyone does and we will be screwed.

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 04:04 PM
As of now, Brett is hands down the MVP. he is looking awesome

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Haha, I wouldn't hold yoru breath.

Maybe not, you'd think it would but maybe he's superhuman...or one step below it.

I wonder what the record is for passing attempts in a season?

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Just commenting on Hawk that most of his tackles are downfield and he struggles shedding blocks. This was just said on 620tmj, I guess I'm not the only one disappointed with Hawk. He needs to be better.

Bretsky
09-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Just commenting on Hawk that most of his tackles are downfield and he struggles shedding blocks. This was just said on 620tmj, I guess I'm not the only one disappointed with Hawk. He needs to be better.

I'd agree with this

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 04:14 PM
B, when I post about Hawk and his playing my point is that he isn't making the plays he should be making. I liked mario and obviously he isn't doing what I thought he would do but some of the concerns predraft about AJ are coming to fruition as well. Hawk is a Packer so I want him to be great but we as fans need to expect more out of a top 5 pick that what he is giving us.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:15 PM
I thought Greenway played pretty well. He's the guy that folks will compare Hawk to in the North....both #1s in the same draft class.

PackerTimer
09-30-2007, 04:16 PM

i would agree with this too. i said earlier that hawk had a good game. if he makes more plays at the line of scrimmage, he has a great game. i think he'll start making those plays.

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 04:17 PM
The defense was #10 in points allowed after playing 3 of the top 10 offenses in the NFL. This week we gave up 16. I'd guess that we move up to about 8th in points allowed. Hopefully we can be around 5th by seasons end. I'd be happy with that, even if we're 15th in yards.

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 04:17 PM
PackTimer, half of his tackles were on the last drive during prevent :?

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:18 PM
The defense was #10 in points allowed after playing 3 of the top 10 offenses in the NFL. This week we gave up 16. I'd guess that we move up to about 8th in points allowed. Hopefully we can be around 5th by seasons end. I'd be happy with that, even if we're 15th in yards.

But you faced the "kickass offense" this week. You should have moved up further!

:wink:

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 04:19 PM
I see our D as solid but not great.

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 04:21 PM
But you faced the "kickass offense" this week. You should have moved up further!

:wink:

Peterson was outstanding. He might be the best back we played, but he's going to have to stay healthy. He is an oustanding player, Ras. IF it weren't for the injury concerns, he'd have been #1 in last years draft class IMO. The Vikes are going to win some games on that guys back.

b bulldog
09-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Minny should beat the Lions and the Bears at home imo.

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 04:25 PM
I left that game with a lot more respect for the Vikes than I had going in. There is no way they should be losing games with the way they run the ball and the way they play D. I would start Holcomb every game. He gives you guys a chance. He just needs to relax and play. He was too wound up and seemed rattled on every bad play.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:27 PM
I left that game with a lot more respect for the Vikes than I had going in. There is no way they should be losing games with the way they run the ball and the way they play D. I would start Holcomb every game. He gives you guys a chance. He just needs to relax and play. He was too wound up and seemed rattled on every bad play.

I don't know.....he and T Jack are about the same. T Jack throws passes he shouldn't and Holcomb stands there like a statue. At least Jackson can run and has the potential to get better. Holcomb will never be better, well, maybe he'll get used to the "kickass" offense. They did just get him AFTER training camp.

b bulldog
The problem the Vikes have is that they need to decide whether Jackson is their guy since they will most likely have a higher pick this year and Jackson was a high pick last year.

Rastak
The problem the Vikes have is that they need to decide whether Jackson is their guy since they will most likely have a higher pick this year and Jackson was a high pick last year.

Agreed.

cpk1994
09-30-2007, 05:34 PM
I left that game with a lot more respect for the Vikes than I had going in. There is no way they should be losing games with the way they run the ball and the way they play D. I would start Holcomb every game. He gives you guys a chance. He just needs to relax and play. He was too wound up and seemed rattled on every bad play. It is kind of hard for Holcumb to get relaxed when his $100 Million line = 5 turnstiles in pass pro and he has at least on guy constantly in his face. Kampman absolutely owned both tackles.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 05:37 PM
I left that game with a lot more respect for the Vikes than I had going in. There is no way they should be losing games with the way they run the ball and the way they play D. I would start Holcomb every game. He gives you guys a chance. He just needs to relax and play. He was too wound up and seemed rattled on every bad play. It is kind of hard for Holcumb to get relaxed when his $100 Million line = 5 turnstiles in pass pro and he has at least on guy constantly in his face. Kampman absolutely owned both tackles.

McKinnie was barfing all game...had an IV at half time due to illness then left the game. That having been said, I thought Green Bay did a good job getting pressure. Minnesota did on occasion but not consistently enough.

Packers did the better job there and it was pretty important.

RashanGary
09-30-2007, 06:35 PM
After today, these are the top defenses as far as points allowed.

Bucaneers - 11.0
Jaguars - 11.3
Patriots - 11.7
Steelers - 11.8
Seattle - 13.3
Vikings - 14.8
Titans - 15.3
Redskins - 16.3
KC/Packers - 16.5

We're tied for 9th/10th right now.

I'm hoping to climb up into the top 5 by seasons end. I can see the Jags, Pats and Vikes there at the end. Hopefully we're there with them.

Cheesehead Craig
09-30-2007, 08:28 PM
There certainly were breakdowns by the run D today. Given it was the first week this has happened and by a very good run offense, I'm not too concerned.

I'm more worried about Bush in pass coverage. Blech.