PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts On The Metrodome

Scott Campbell
09-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Is that craphole the worst venue in pro football?

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Is that craphole the worst venue in pro football?

I haven't been to all 32. But I would be interested to hear from someone who has, they'd be the only one qualified to say, right Scott?

Iron Mike
09-30-2007, 04:24 PM
I seriously wish Charles Martin would go take that horn and stick it up Ragnar's ass. :twisted:

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:24 PM
I seriously wish Charles Martin would go take that horn and stick it up Ragnar's ass. :twisted:

Ragnar would kick the shit out of him before he got close.

Iron Mike
09-30-2007, 04:25 PM

Are you trying to goad me into posting the Mike Tice/Barney picture???

gbpackfan
09-30-2007, 04:28 PM

Come on Ras, you really think the dome is a GREAT venue? Take the purple glasses off. :P

Scott Campbell
09-30-2007, 04:31 PM

Sorry buddy, I think it's that bad. It's just one of those expensive mistakes that sometimes get made - horrible from the day it opened. I liken it to the Alamodome for watching basketball.

I really don't want football to leave Minny. Their voters need to swallow hard and pay for a new stadium.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:31 PM

Come on Ras, you really think the dome is a GREAT venue? Take the purple glasses off. :P

He asked if it was the worst in the NFL, I haven't been to all the stadiums so how could I answer?

Hey, my seat allows me to see the field fine. I know you guys would prefer to sit in the rain, but it ain't fun. I almost froze my ass off in Chicago. It wasn't fun trying to watch the game and also figure out what stage of frostbite my feet were in. :shock:

I've been to Arrowhead, Metropolitain Stadium and the new Chicago stadium. I really liked the INSIDE of Chicago's stadium but it does look like a UFO outside. I was at Arrowhead back in the mid 70's so I just don't recall how cool it was.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Sorry buddy, I think it's that bad. It's just one of those expensive mistakes that sometimes get made - horrible from the day it opened. I liken it to the Alamodome for watching basketball.

I really don't want football to leave Minny. Their voters need to swallow hard and pay for a new stadium.

In all honesty, and I'm not saying it's a great football stadium, but when were you last there?

Scott Campbell
09-30-2007, 04:36 PM
I know you guys would prefer to sit in the rain, but it ain't fun. I almost froze my ass off in Chicago. It wasn't fun trying to watch the game and also figure out what stage of frostbite my feet were in. :shock:

That kind of thing is good for ya. It builds character. Football should be played outside, on real grass.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I know you guys would prefer to sit in the rain, but it ain't fun. I almost froze my ass off in Chicago. It wasn't fun trying to watch the game and also figure out what stage of frostbite my feet were in. :shock:

That kind of thing is good for ya. It builds character. Football should be played outside, on real grass.

Then why'd they install the fake grass to mix in with the real at Lambeau?

Plus, you didn't answer my question. When were you last there?

NO NO NO, I'm not comparing the Dome to Lambeau. I do have a great deal of respect for historic stadiums. One other thing to consider, when the Vikings left Met Stadium in 1981, it was literally falling apart.

mraynrand
09-30-2007, 04:42 PM
I think he worst stadiums are the converted baseball fields. Anything with artificial turf sucks and indoors sucks. I've been at Soldier Field, Buffalo, Ford Field, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Candlestick, The RCA dome, the Metrodome, Lincoln Financial, Cincinnati, Cleveland. Buffalo is the biggest dump of all of those. I hate the Metrodome, but at least the site lines are decent. It's a hell hole for Minnesota games. It's hard to get as close to the game as you get in GB.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I think he worst stadiums are the converted baseball fields. Anything with artificial turf sucks and indoors sucks. I've been at Soldier Field, Buffalo, Ford Field, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Candlestick, The RCA dome, the Metrodome, Lincoln Financial, Cincinnati, Cleveland. Buffalo is the biggest dump of all of those. I hate the Metrodome, but at least the site lines are decent. It's a hell hole for Minnesota games. It's hard to get as close to the game as you get in GB.

Chicago in the end zone actually had great sitelines, it was just FRIGGEN COLD.

Brando19
09-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I have never been to Minnesota, but I hate the Vikings so I'm going to go ahead and say it is the worst in the NFL.

That said, I would love to visit Seattle so I could see their stadium. I hear it's one of the best in the league (behind Lambeau of course.)

Scott Campbell
09-30-2007, 04:47 PM
When were you last there?

I've never been never there - couldn't afford the $3.

:D

I was never at the Vet either, but still knew it sucked.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 04:49 PM
When were you last there?

I've never been never there - couldn't afford the $3.

:D

I was never at the Vet either, but still knew it sucked.

I can't say it sucks at the Vet because I have never seen it.

You cheap *&*^%$&*......LOL.....

Charles Woodson
09-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Down here Dolphins stadium is pretty damn bad. Lack of respect by fans to keep it clean, and the fact that for the first half of the year its a baseball/football feild makes it a shit hole

CaliforniaCheez
09-30-2007, 07:08 PM
I thought the Swastika Dome bit was funny.

It collapsed under the very first snow that fell on it. Snow removal punch a hole in the roof a few times.

The dome is not well lit and acoustics are terrible. The air smells bad.

The seats are arranged a bit vertically so you look downward on the field at a strange angle.

I just don't feel anything special or unique about it for football. For baseball I like the lack of foulball space and the flimsy plastic fence. For football it just is a place to play.

BallHawk
09-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Beat me to it, CW. Dolphin stadium is pretty bad architecturally.

The worst part about the stadium, though, is the fans. Dolphins fans are quite possibly the dumbest, most uneducated, and rudest fans in football. When I was there for a game the fans routinely cursed unnecessarily, dumped their food on the ground, and behaved rudely to opposing fans. I don't mean like "Your team sucks" rude, I mean like "Hey, you f-cking asshole, why don't you go back to the inbred family that you came from? Get the f-ck out of here. Dolphins rule! Faggot."

And that's just one of many.

And you should here what some Dolphins fans say about the opposing team.

"Favre wouldn't start on any other team in the league"

"Is Sterling Sharpe still playing for the Pack?" Yes, I seriously overheard that. And, yes, the guy was dead serious.

"I'm glad they don't have that dead Reggie White n*gger." Yeah, that's disgusting. Welcome to the South.

I hate Miami.

" :evil:

oregonpackfan
09-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Have they fixed the dome when it comes to powerful windstorms?

If I recall, the Metrodome has partially collapsed a couple of times in the summer when big storms moved in.

Rastak
09-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Have they fixed the dome when it comes to powerful windstorms?

If I recall, the Metrodome has partially collapsed a couple of times in the summer when big storms moved in.

I think it happened once during a severe storm. That's what I recall. The damn thing's been in service for 26 years or so.

Tony Oday
09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
I like the dome. I mean it used to be a SCARY place to play in for baseball and football.

I do NOT think MN taxpayers should pay for a new stadium at all. Our state cant tax us anymore damn it :evil:

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I like the dome. I mean it used to be a SCARY place to play in for baseball and football.

I do NOT think MN taxpayers should pay for a new stadium at all. Our state cant tax us anymore damn it :evil:

Try living in WI, then talk to me about taxes !

What people don't realize is how much revenue and jobs are created by having a professional sports team in your city. Then again, they probably laid off some Viking ticket counter workers this year..... :wink:

falco
09-30-2007, 07:48 PM
falco was at the metrodome today....in fear for my life from crazed viking fans. but i did get a great view of 421 AND 422.

Pacopete4
09-30-2007, 08:05 PM
rastak.. I was at the dome today and I still dont like to watch football there just because I think football was meant to be played outside, just how ive always felt.. no no, it doesnt always have to rain or snow, it could be nice out too.. Im just sayin that in a dome just doesnt get that same feeling as you would with a normal stadium..

that being said, the dome probably is top 5 worst stadiums more so of the fact that its not as far advanced as the new stadiums being built, hell there isnt even nice luxory boxes for them to make money off of..

ZachMN
09-30-2007, 08:20 PM
The reason the dome exists is that the queens NEVER sold out past a certain date in NOV at the old Met which was built for Baseball. Also, nice queen fans who when the pack scores start leaving en masse. Fans from Ashwabenon were like "where are they going?" They were incredulous. I told them, when the queens lost the NFC title game in 98, they showed the gutters littered with those car flags. Too funny. I was at the game with a diehard queen fan; we work toegther, he HATES the Dome. It sucks. Poetic justice the record fell there.

HarveyWallbangers
09-30-2007, 09:12 PM
I haven't seen them all, but hands down the Metrodome is the WORST venue for a sporting event I've ever been to. Any sport.

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 10:24 PM
They need to ditch the horn. Really, that is beyond annoying.

HarveyWallbangers
09-30-2007, 10:39 PM

The horn is cool. They just do it too often. First down Vikes. Horn! Save it for the big plays. I think it would be cool--if they played in an outdoor stadium befitting their tradition. In the Dome, it just seems ridiculous.

BallHawk
09-30-2007, 10:50 PM

They should learn from the Bucs. They fire the cannons only when they score (or when they get in the red zone) The Bucs keep it cool and you notice it when it happens. The Vikes are going with the horn so much it becomes an afterthought.

And, yeah, the Vikes should definitely play outdoors. It'd hold an advantage for the Vikes. What team wants to come into Minnesota in December?

retailguy
09-30-2007, 10:52 PM
I've been to a lot of the stadiums, though I've got about 10 more years to hit 'em all.

I don't think the Metrodome is the worst place to watch a game, but facilities are poor. I think the LA Colesium is the worst place I've ever watched a game, and Dolphins Stadium is the second worst.

Was at Raymond James last week, and really enjoyed that place. Well designed, and not a bad seat in the house. I was in row 12, and it was really wonderful.

Seahawks have a nice stadium, but it's nothing special if you ask me. But, there really isn't a "bad" seat in the house, though the seats in the upper deck are pretty steep and far up there.

My favorite venue (besides Lambeau), is Washington Huskies stadium, or Camp Randall...

MJZiggy
09-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Was at Raymond James last week, and really enjoyed that place. Well designed, and not a bad seat in the house. I was in row 12, and it was really wonderful.

You'd have loved the sombrero...

BallHawk
09-30-2007, 10:56 PM
As RG said, Raymond James is a great stadium. Clean, modern, and most importantly, a good view of the field.

It's funny that two stadiums only 300 miles apart from each other could be so different. Dolphin Stadium is just garbage.

HarveyWallbangers
09-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Actually, I can't say Metrodome is the worst. Kingdome was as bad or worse, but they blew the place up.

Partial
10-01-2007, 12:42 AM
RG were you in Tampa on vaca or business?

CaliforniaCheez
10-01-2007, 01:04 AM

The horn is cool. They just do it too often. First down Vikes. Horn! Save it for the big plays. I think it would be cool--if they played in an outdoor stadium befitting their tradition. In the Dome, it just seems ridiculous.

They could do something to vary it. But like everything else there they think volume improves the crowd's enthusiasm. Without variation in the decibel levels, evertything is just noise and things that should be loud are no different from the mundane.

They could have different horns for different plays but that is too complicated for management.

Zool
10-01-2007, 08:03 AM
I've been to quite a few venues and the Dome is the worst I've been to. The atmosphere is just bad IMO.

Also I really dont like rubbing my knees on the mullet of the guy in front of me. If I was 5'4 it might be better.

GBRulz
10-01-2007, 08:31 AM

You'd have loved the sombrero...

My sis lives in FL and when Tampa was in our division, I went down just about every year to that game. I loved the Sombrero.... we always won there!! I didn't think it was a bad stadium, hence the concrete seats if I remember correctly. Then again, once year I had shorts on and it was a game on Christmas Eve, so you don't exactly have to worry about freezing to the seats!

RG - I take it you have never sat in the upper level at Raymond James. You don't get much more of a nosebleed than that. Sat up there once, but the other times we always sat on the lower level. Once, we sat in the endzone where the ship is and whenever Tampa scored, they shoot the canons but also tossed out beads and shot tshirts out of those air cannon gun thingees. It def is one of the nicest stadiums I've been in. The only thing I didn't like about it was the corporate signage all over the place. I guess I'm used to Lambeau, which is unique in that aspect.

The best thing about Tampa....the tailgating! Florida has an insane amount of people that belong to the Official Tampa Bay or Orlando, etc Packer Backers club, so they were always out in full force tailgating. I sure miss them being in our division.

the_idle_threat
10-01-2007, 06:33 PM
I've been to quite a few venues and the Dome is the worst I've been to. The atmosphere is just bad IMO.

Also I really dont like rubbing my knees on the mullet of the guy in front of me. If I was 5'4 it might be better.

:lol: :lol: :lol: