PDA

View Full Version : Greg Bedard's post MN game chat (Cliff's replacement)

motife
09-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Click here to refresh the page and check for updated questions and answers.

Q: Jonathan of Chicago - I'm have the same unease as others about the inability to run the ball, but I'm sure impressed at how when disaster strikes, or the game is on the line, or both, how this team just does what has to be done to close it up. It's uncanny, and I think calling it just luck would not be accurate.

A: Greg Bedard - Ding, ding, ding! Jonathan hit the nail on the head. Complain all you want about the weaknesses on this team -- and there are definitely some -- but this team makes up for it with grit and resiliency. That's what championship teams have more than any statistic you can throw out there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Mike of Goshen, IN - Donald Lee appeared to be down on that fumble in the second quarter. Yet the replay showed his knee on top of Sharper's knee. Therefore he wasn't down and the fumble call was correct. In the blog, you say it wasn't a fumble. do you know the official rule? Was he down or not?

A: Greg Bedard - The TVs weren't in good positions in this press box, so I wasn't able to really study the play. But what I saw was Lee's knee being down. If it was on Sharpers' leg, then Lee was not down. I'm just telling you what I saw, but I'm not sitting right in front of a TV so I may have been wrong.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: kwed of dubuque - Greg, If both teams had brett favre today, who wins?

A: Greg Bedard - Oooh, that's a really good question. I'd have to take the Packers because Mike McCarthy is head and shoulders better than Brad Childress.
Q: Dennis Palzkill of Madison - Greg: Any explanation for the gift Brad Childress kept giving Packer fans by keeping Adrian Peterson on the sideline so much?

A: Greg Bedard - He didn't give a good one after the game, I can tell you that. I still can't believe that decision.
Q: Andy Newbold of st. louis - Greg, As much as ive liked seeing Grant get in the mix this season . That fumble was huge today and it was obvious he made a high school mistake grabbing for the ball. Did he rotate himself out of the mix with that mistake when Jackson comes back from his "injury" next week?

A: Greg Bedard - No way. This coaching staff loves Grant.
Q: John of Newport Beach, Ca - I think Bob McGinn deserves a lot of respect for having the guts, before the opener, to predict what all the pundits thought was absurd: GB passing the Bears and winning the NFC North. Did everyone on your staff think he was crazy? Its worth noting that at around the same time McGinn was writing that, Peter King was writing that McGinn was one of the best beat reporters in the country. Congratulations to the GBP and the Journal Sentinel for feilding a couple of terrific teams.

A: Greg Bedard - Bob is no doubt one of the best in the business. He's one of the reasons why I moved my family up here. I don't think anybody thought he was crazy... maybe I did when he wrote this week that the Packers should go at least 12-5 and could be 14-2. I think it's just that I've covered the AFC for so long. I've seen a lot more talented teams than this miss the playoffs altogether in the AFC. Obviously the NFC is not as good. I didn't realize the talent disparity is this wide, but it is.
Q: scottyb460 of tucson arizona - what a great victory for the cheeseheads, greg, it seems the defense tends to get soft once they get a touchdown or more lead, do they go into an entirely different scheme or is it by design?

A: Greg Bedard - The calls aren't any different, so I think it's on the players. Maybe they're relaxing too much. But let's be honest here, the Packers held the Vikings without a touchdown until garbage time. You can't complain about that.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Greg, I think the packers have uncovered a gem in Atari Bibgy. What an upgrade from last year. What is wrong with Nick Collins injury wise? Should he have been out there in the 2nd half?

A: Greg Bedard - Nick is one that I didn't see in the locker room, so he must have needed a lot of attention. I'd keep an eye on that one this week. Of course he should have been out there. If he can play, why not? I would be very scared to put Aaron Rouse, a rookie who hasn't even been active yet, on the field in a crucial situation. Collins obviously did fine.
Q: Craig Danula of Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota - Another Win. Congratulations Brett! Do you think the Packers will consider giving Will Blackmon a shot at being the 3rd CB after another iffy week by Jarrett Bush? And why was Ryan Grant in at the end?

A: Greg Bedard - I think they should look at Blackmon again, but I don't know how much the coaching staff views his thumb as a liability. Obviously he dropped an INT today. But at least he was in position for one, compared to, say, Jarrett Bush. I'm sure the coaches felt most comfortable with Grant over Wynn or Morency. The bottom line is there shouldn't have been a handoff there.
Q: Michael of Los Angeles - Wow. Thompson actually showed some emotion? I didn't know he had it in him. But I guess if I'd been criticized nonstop for the past 3 years I'd get pretty excited about 4-0 too. Any grumblings from the Vikings side about the display?

A: Greg Bedard - I don't think so because like I said before, it's very, very loud in the press box. So it's really just a small area that would have heard him. Me and the rest of the JS team was right in front of the Packers' brass so it was a little annoying.
Q: Mark of Green Bay - Nice to see Robert Ferguson is an integral part of the Viking offense! But, it looks as though he did get through the game uninjured! Is there a worse set of receivers in the NFL?

A: Greg Bedard - Wade and Rice have some nice skills. The problem is really with the guy getting them the ball, in this case Holcomb. Not very good today.
Q: Jesse of Atlanta - Whew. Tough win. Aside from Jon Ryan's 4th down rush, special teams were not that special. I have a little problem with the way Morency is so loose with the ball. And Grant's mistake is inexcusable. Did any of the backs look like they played well to you?

A: Greg Bedard - Way too early to make a judgement on Morency. He hasn't played in a long, long time. The Vikings are the No. 2 team against the run. Nobody was going to do well today.
Q: Scott Mitchell of Toronto, Ontario - Greg, They say it's better to be lucky than good, well, after seeing that game today, I can't help but thank muy lucky stars that Brad Childress never left Minneapolis for his interview in Green Bay. That coaching display was Infantesque. That Peterson left the game at all in the second half is simply mind-boggling. Your thoughts?

A: Greg Bedard - You read my mind. Childress isn't one of the smarter guys as far as game coaching. I mean, to challenge the spot of Jones' catch was just dumb. I know you were mad you couldn't challenge the Hall play (and while I think the call was ultimately right, the Vikings should have been able to challenge that play) don't let it get to you to the point that you cost your team a timeout.
Q: James of Grand Forks, ND - Should Bush and Grant chip in and hire a moving van together on their way out of town, or will it be cheaper to hire one on their own? At least we hung on for the win, though.

A: Greg Bedard - That's much to rough on Grant, especially. I put the blame for Grant's fumble solely on McCarthy. Take a knee for crying out loud.
Q: Ben Newton of Dallas, Texas - How do we rank against the Patriots, Colts, Cowboys, and Lions???? Are we for real without a running game???

A: Greg Bedard - I'm not sure yet. I need to let this game digest for a little bit before I can "crown" anybody in the words of Dennis Green. The Packers are good, no doubt. Very good. I can't wait for that matchup with Dallas, however.
Q: Brendan of Eindhoven, Netherlands - Greg, I saw in your blog a comment about Ted Thompson cheering his team in the pressbox. I have to ask why he is sitting in the pressbox? I would expect that the opponent ownership/management would have access to their own box. You may have to remain unbiased, but I expect TT to have passion for this team.

A: Greg Bedard - That happens at some places, about half the time I would guess. Most of the time it isn't an issue because the press box is quiet behind glass. But at the Metrodome, the press box is open so we hear everything. I guess that got Teddy in the mood a little bit. But the bottom line is there are rules against cheering in the press box -- it's a place where work is being done -- and you can be kicked out for violating those rules. I don't mind the occasional, 'Oh man,' or "That was a foul," but out and out clapping and screaming is a big no, no. I'm guessing that the Vikes didn't make a box available and/or the Packers didn't want to pay for one. But they should be in a box, you're right about that.
Q: Rich of Slinger - Good win today. My question is: doesn't anyone spellcheck the player jerseys? Somebody in Green Bay misspelled "Toast" on the back of #24.

A: Greg Bedard - That's a good one. If not that, somebody needs to take the bullseye off Bush's back because he has a huge one on there.
Q: James of Sacramento - Greg, was the porous run defense more a product of a stellar run-blocking effort and a stud rookie back or were the Packers over-matched today on the ground? I hate to admit it, Peterson looks like the real deal. He looks like an All-Pro in the (very near) future. Thanks.

A: Greg Bedard - That's one talented young running back we all saw today. The Packers definitely had some problems staying in their running lanes. You give a guy like Peterson just a little opening, he's going to take advantage. Like Charles Woodson said after the game about Peterson, "That guy is a horse."
Q: Ed of St. Petersburg Russia - Great game. I think we need to thank chilli for being so stupid to not keep AP in the game. Can the vikings do anything right? BTW thank god for directv and slingbox. Da Da Da La Da Go Pack Go

A: Greg Bedard - That was one atrocious Vikings team. I mean, the Packers just kept giving them opportunity after opportunity and they couldn't capitalize. Seriously, how does Adrian Peterson only get two carries in the second half?!?! That should be a fireable offense. I can tell you that the Vikings fans and players are making a lot out of some of the calls today. That's sore loser talk if you ask me.
Q: Josh of Chicago, IL - How'd we do on the injury front? And why have Woodson back returning punts when the secondary is already so banged up?

A: Greg Bedard - After another big win, we'll start here with Josh's question. As a reminder, keep your questions and the windups to them short for the sake of everybody. I won't answer questions where I have to scroll forever just to get to them.....I talked to most of the injured guys and they're all fine. I did not talk to Al Harris and he was moving extremely slow. But he's a gamer, so I'm sure he'll be out there come Sunday night.

motife
09-30-2007, 06:22 PM
Q: Jason of Oak Creek - Greg, what do you believe is a realistic record for the packers this year? I believe if we can beat Chicago next week our main worries will be denver and dalls. I say 13-3. Thanks.

A: Greg Bedard - Well, I picked 8-8 at the start of the season, and I had losses to Philly, SD and a split with the Vikings. Assuming that loss to Minn would have come here, I guess I would have to go with 11-5. Detroit is a tough matchup for this team, especially their offense and the obvious drop off there is between Bush and Harris and Woodson. I will say, the Packers' second half schedule is brutal with all the tough road trips. The good news is the Packers, although they are 4-0, haven't come close to playing their best football. I would be very excited about that if I was a Packers fan. That will do it for now. Have to get to work. See you around the blog.
Q: Justin D. Hein of Sacramento, CA - Calls? What are the Vikes (fans and players) gripes? It seems to me that Harris had two bad calls against him and every other call was justifiable. Did I miss something?

A: Greg Bedard - They are all complaining that Woodson interfered with Bobby Wade when Bigby had his interception. I think I agree with them, but there's no way I would pin that loss on it. They screwed this game up in so many more ways.
Q: Mike of Plattevile - Greg, thanks for the chat. Is Ted Thompson not such an idiot after all? He's got a very young roster, yet has Favre to help them develop. By the time Favre retires, Rodgers should inherit a team of experienced young players, including a receiving corps that should help him out. What do you think about what Thompson has done thus far?

A: Greg Bedard - I think the record will show that very early on my opinion was that most of the fans were crazy because Ted Thompson had done a great job of getting this team to this point. Hate to say I told you so, but...
Q: Bill of Darboy - The AFC isn't that much better that the NFC. Outside of the Cheaters and the Colts they don't have much. Heck, the Packers beat the team with the best record in the AFC last year and that team hasn't changed any personnel.

A: Greg Bedard - Come on Bill. That Chargers team you saw was not even close to the team that went 14-2 last year. Not even in the same league.
Q: Mad Dog of Texas - Greg- Two questions. Do you think the chili at Stadiumview is the best in Green Bay and was the fake punt play just misplayed because that thing was going nowhere until Runyan became Barry Sanders for a moment and made at least 7 people miss in a small area of space. Loved the play because of the result, but that thing seemed doomed from the first moment. That was all runyan and the play seemed like it fooled no one.

A: Greg Bedard - That was a designed fake. And, actually, it was a run-pass option.
Q: Ed of Jacksonville, FL - Greg, say what you will about the running game, but I didn't see nearly as many backs run into the back of the linemen today, which is a problem of Jackson's. Also, and I hate to jinx it, but how many quarters has it been since a Favre INT? I think it's either 10 or 11 by my count.

A: Greg Bedard - Ed, I've been underwhelmed by Jackson's running instincts so what you said is definitely true. The last INT Favre threw was at the beginning of the second quarter against the Giants. So that makes it 10 since his last one.
Q: Mark of Seattle - Great game against a tough rival. Since we'll have to listen to another week (or 2) about the Packers' lack of a run game, I'll switch gears. In the off season it was mentioned the Packers lacked a receiver that could go deep and open up the underneath routes. Do the Packers have a deep threat? How important is a speedy receiver that can get behind defenses to the success of a short passing game?

A: Greg Bedard - Greg Jennings can run with anybody. It's especially important if you have no running game. As a result, the passing game was much crisper the past two games with Jennings out there. He just creates room being on the field.
Q: Josh Ike of Madison - What was Favre's passer rating? He's really making a strong bid for MVP, especially against fairly good D's (Chargers, Vikings). Can he carry this team in the playoffs if we lack a running game? Rich Gannon and Raiders come to mind

A: Greg Bedard - Favre's rating was 108.0, the third-straight week he's over 100. I think he can carry this team for a whole season, which is exactly what he's doing for the offense. He's been awesome the past three games. He's certainly an MVP candidate, but I would have to have Tom Brady No. 1 right now. He's completing 80 percent of his passes.
Q: packerjill of Wilmington, Del. - The Vikings were really tackling the ball today. (And that doesn't even account for the lost handoff by Grant.) How do the Packers practice ball security, and do you think they will devote more time to it after this game?

A: Greg Bedard - At least once a week the Packers work on a drill where the carrier has the ball and two defenders come in and attempt to strip the ball. But that's it. The Packers do no hitting once the season starts.
Q: Vince S of Midlothian, IL - Ok all you worrying, critical fans, stop worrying about the running game! My question is don't you think that the chances of the Packers beating the Bears is much better than 50-50??

A: Greg Bedard - Oh yes. The only team in the NFC that I don't know the Packers are better than is Dallas -- right now. Teams can get better as the season goes on, but right now the Packers and Cowboys are the class of the NFC. I don't think either is close to the Patriots or Colts, but we'll see.
Q: B Fawn of Crescent City, CA - Greg, thanks for taking my question. We are having a little bit of a debate about Brett's interception that was taken away by penalty. I say he threw it up for grabs intentionally because he knew there was a flag, and it was a free play. My fiance disagrees. Am I just giving Brett the benefit of the doubt? What was your take?

A: Greg Bedard - I'd agree with your future wife. I think when he was winding up to throw the ball, the flag hadn't been thrown yet. In fact, I think that play was designed to go deep. I think the Packers wanted to stretch the field early because of all the short passes they threw coming into the game.
Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, wi - How did Morencey look to you in his first game since his injury in training camp?

A: Greg Bedard - Like he doesn't have his feet under him yet. But it was a decent start. I'll be interested to see how he comes out of this game. He had ice bags on his left knee and right quad.
Q: Kimberly of Sheboygan, Wi - Is Brett getting the connection with Gregg Jennings like he does with Donald Driver?

A: Greg Bedard - Maybe, but I think what you're seeing is Favre realizing Jennings is the fastest of his receivers and can exploit one-on-one matchups. Plus, Driver got double teamed a lot today. Given a choice, I'd throw to Jennings all day long against those guys.
Q: Bill of Chicago - Yes or NO question? Do you think McCarthy should kick to Hester next week?

A: Greg Bedard - Uh, no. That's the one area where the Bears are better than the Packers. You don't play to an opponent's strength. You figure out another way to get the job done.
Q: Patrick D of Minneapolis - The first drive of the second half was almost nine minutes long. So is it possible to be both a passing team and a ball control team? Comment--even if the Packers would only go .500 the rest of the season (which we won't), we'd end up at 10-6.

A: Greg Bedard - Favre's talked about that and that is, essentially, the goal of the West Coast offense. To control the ball by any means necessary, even if that means throwing it.