PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Biggest Problem With The Running Game?

Joemailman
09-30-2007, 08:44 PM
It's hard to believe that it's just the OL. Guys who are this good at pass blocking should be able to run block a little bit. I'm inclined to think that the musical chairs situation at RB is a big part of the problem. I'm hoping that MM will settle on a main guy at some point. Wynn would be my choice

Brohm
09-30-2007, 08:47 PM
I think it's a combination of all the above. Throw in the good defenses we have played and it's the bad running soup o'the day.

I do think though that we will get better as the season rolls on. With no hitting/cut-blocking, it's tough to practice so they will have to get better with game-day experience.

BallHawk
09-30-2007, 08:51 PM
I blame it on the first two. The scheme worked with Green last year and even though we don't run it exactly like Denver, we do run a ZBS.

I like Morency, but unless you have a fantastic OL like the Broncos, you can't get by with average RBs. Are RBs are at the point where they're arguably not even average.

I'm always concerned about Clifton and Tauscher. They do a great job at protecting Favre, but I just don't think that they can be effective run-blocking in this scheme.

]{ilr]3
09-30-2007, 09:29 PM
I think its all of the above as well.

Our RB just dont hit the holes and are always looking like there are preparing to be hit, instead of doing some hitting themselves.

I dont think the Zone Blocking Scheme is working at all,

I dont think we have the personel to run a ZB Scheme either.

MM play calling for the run are in question because he goes away from it when its the absolute best time to go for it. 3 and inches and a pass :shock: Yikees!

Bretsky
09-30-2007, 09:33 PM
I don't think it's the scheme
I don't think it's the playcalling; MM knows we suck there and he does an outstanding job calling plays knowing we cannot run the ball

I think our OL is subpar in their run blocking
I think our RB's are subpar

As a result our running game is sub par; we shouldn't be that surprised this is occuring.

The pleasant surprise is how effective our passing game has been the last couple weeks; it's likely the run will setup the pass for much of the year

Carolina_Packer
09-30-2007, 09:48 PM
So, the choices moving forward (and obviously something you do off-season) is:

1. Keep the scheme, change the personnel
2. Keep the personnel, change the scheme to fit them better (easier to do rather than making wholesale changes in personnel).
3. Coach 'em up, get them to play more disciplined within the scheme by fixing technique that is lacking and tweak the skill positions to find better talent.

I don't think you can lay it at anyone's feet completely, however, it does seem quite often that the backs are taking on a defender at or before they are hitting the hole, or soon after they are hitting the hole, which means the lanes are tight.

These backs were hand-picked for our running/blocking scheme, so obviously they can't all suck. A running back, like a qb needs space to make a play.

HarveyWallbangers
09-30-2007, 09:52 PM
We faced two of the toughest run defenses in the league the last two weeks, and barely tried to run it. Our run game will get better--just like last year. We couldn't run it a lick last year until Ahman had that long run vs. Miami. After that, we were okay. We have the same personnel as last year--except Ahman (and Ahman wasn't the same player as he was in his prime). I think Morency will give the team a boost. I think Grant will get a bigger role. Things will get better.

On the plus side, if things do get better in the run game, we are going to be a tough team to beat.

GrnBay007
09-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Things will get better.

And if not, there's always Ryan. :P

BallHawk
09-30-2007, 09:55 PM
If we can get something that just resembles a running game we instantly become a Super Bowl Contender.

We are playing like a playoff team right now, no question, but to win the NFC you need to beat the Cowboys and the Cowboys have a complete offense, a passing game and a running game. We only have one of those.

GBRulz
09-30-2007, 10:07 PM
I really would like to see us to at least try and run the ball on 3rd and 1.

retailguy
09-30-2007, 10:10 PM
I think the RB's and the OL have to share the blame.

Harvey is right, we've gone up against two tough run defenses, but, in all fairness we haven't looked good in the preseason, nor against the Eagles or the Giants either. (Though the Giants looked better, but their run D stinks).

What do you guys think will happen when the weather changes, the wind picks up and it rains/snows? I don't think we'll be able to pass 40 times those games...

Freak Out
09-30-2007, 10:16 PM
The focus of the OL is keeping #4 alive and that is at it should be....you would have to think that the running game would get better as the season went on but who knows with this group. It falls on the OL and the backs with some blame also on the scheme itself (I hate the ZBS by the way).

retailguy
09-30-2007, 10:18 PM
I really would like to see us to at least try and run the ball on 3rd and 1.

LOL. How about 4&1 from the one? But, hey, they're winning so who cares?

HarveyWallbangers
09-30-2007, 10:35 PM
We actually ran the ball much worse last preseason. Then, we couldn't run it a lick the first few games. However, we kept trying and finally broke out against the likes of Arizona and Miami. This year, same thing. Except we faced the 7th best run defense and the top run defense from last year, so McCarthy schemed to not even try to run the ball. (Which was obviously a good move.)

I think we'll get considerably better--just like last year. Except for the Bears twice and the Vikings once, we don't play that many really stout run defenses the rest of the year.

Carolina_Packer
09-30-2007, 10:57 PM
These are all professionals. It's the technique as much as it is the technicians. The coaches and players will have to dig deeper and figure it out. These are good players who are just not in synch. I think our RB's need chemistry and timing with the scheme, and our O-line has to start kicking ass and taking names to give them lanes to run in.

Bossman641
09-30-2007, 11:17 PM
I agree with HW. Last year we really struggled running the ball early on, and then there seemed to be a week where everything just started to click. Not that we were dominant, but at least good enough to keep defenses honest.

I'm hoping (probably just wishful thinking) that eventually the light will go on and we will see a lot of improvement in a short amount of time.

Deputy Nutz
09-30-2007, 11:30 PM
The last two weeks we have all but shelved the running game, the Packers have just barely committed to it, they do it because they have to give a look to set up the next play or two. It is not easy running against SD or the Vikings and the Packers were smart enough to try and beat them at their own game.

So is that the scheme? I don't know, I am not really focusing on the running game at this point, but I understand the importance of it, but if you don't 100% commit yourself to it whats the point? The Packers went a long time without a 1000 rusher, 1977 to 1994 I believe. I would like to have a dominant running game, but when Favre is this on, you let him work your offense.

Patler
09-30-2007, 11:52 PM
What do you guys think will happen when the weather changes, the wind picks up and it rains/snows? I don't think we'll be able to pass 40 times those games...

The short passing game they are playing can be just as effective in bad conditions, sometimes even more effective. It is such a high completion percentage scheme right now that bad conditions won't necessarily stop it, and a single slip by a defender can result in a long gain.

Not all good running teams are necessarily good in bad weather either. Not all backs are good "mudders".

woodbuck27
10-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Very good discussion on a topic we certainly feel concern for.

The reason why our running backs do not hit holes fast enough is that there are no holes to hit.

I hope that MM and crew take a serious look at the ZBS and identify needs, that solutions are a reality next season.

Given what we have I like the biggest - strongest RB in as number one on shorter yardage downs (Wynn) not the man to be made.

We need to find the Beast at RB. He (TT) must try to solve this problem.

If he is not in the Green and Gold now he must be found as soon as TT can do that. Like last week. :)

I fear (or respect) that we are going to get KOed by any team that has a stronger DL than we can handle with our young O-Lineman..

The middle of our OL has to be stronger. We need the beef.

Maybe the younger Lineman are either over worked or taxed too high, skill wise (Question mark).

All this and more has to be questioned immediately.

I believe that there has been a missed oppportunity to really shine in the NFC this season and a passing game alone is not going to carry us through any playoff that we may attend.

Patler
10-01-2007, 12:50 AM
How many tackles for losses in the running game have come because Colledge completely misses a guy? It happened again today. A zone scheme is screwed up by penetration of the d-linemen. So far that has been a big problem, especially it seems right over Colledge more than anywhere else. Until that is minimized, we will never know if the backs are any good in this scheme or not.

FritzDontBlitz
10-01-2007, 01:01 AM
So, the choices moving forward (and obviously something you do off-season) is:

1. Keep the scheme, change the personnel
2. Keep the personnel, change the scheme to fit them better (easier to do rather than making wholesale changes in personnel).
3. Coach 'em up, get them to play more disciplined within the scheme by fixing technique that is lacking and tweak the skill positions to find better talent.

I don't think you can lay it at anyone's feet completely, however, it does seem quite often that the backs are taking on a defender at or before they are hitting the hole, or soon after they are hitting the hole, which means the lanes are tight.

These backs were hand-picked for our running/blocking scheme, so obviously they can't all suck. A running back, like a qb needs space to make a play.

you left out another option.

4. let brett throw the fucker on every play.

:twisted:

woodbuck27
10-01-2007, 02:34 AM
Player Stats

Packers at Minny

Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT

B. Favre 32/45 344 2 0

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG

D. Wynn 10 20 0 3
R. Grant 3 17 0 15
J. Ryan 1 7 0 7
V. Morency 1 2 0 2
B. Favre 4 1 0 3
D. Driver 1 -1 0 -1

Receiving REC YDS TD LG

D. Lee 4 66 0 27
D. Driver 7 58 0 14
R. Martin 2 52 0 36
J. Jones 4 49 1 33
G. Jennings 3 43 1 18
V. Morency 3 33 0 18
B. Franks 4 30 0 12
D. Wynn 2 10 0 7
K. Hall 1 2 0 2
R. Grant 2 1 0 1

The Leaper
10-01-2007, 08:16 AM
I don't like the scheme, especially now that Jags is gone. With a scheme that you can't actively practice with, it becomes pretty important to have a coach that really understands it and can explain it to his guys. I'm not sure that is happening now.

I place the blame on the scheme right now...not because I think the ZBS is incapable of working, but because we don't have the coaching and experience in place to run it properly and it looks like we really aren't sure what to do blocking much of the time.

The talent we have on the OL is OK. Our RBs aren't great, but they should be good enough to put up better numbers than they have. The playcalling doesn't seem to be the problem to me either.

AtlPackFan
10-01-2007, 08:32 AM
[quote="HarveyWallbangers"]I think Morency will give the team a boost. I think Grant will get a bigger role. Things will get better.
quote]

If they can hold on to the football...

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2007, 11:25 AM
I'd say the biggest problem is that they don't run often enough to get the timing down.

Second biggest problem is lack of talent at the running back position. A good back that turns one 2 yard gain into an 8 yard gain gives confidence to the Oline, demoralizes the defense. It's a game of momentum.