PDA

View Full Version : Why not D'Brickashaw?

BF4MVP
04-01-2006, 10:52 AM
A lot of people got me thinkin that they would throw bricks at their TV if we drafted The Brick (pun intended)..But think about it..IMHO the offensive line is the weakest position on our team..and Ferguson is just an absolute BEAST of an offensive lineman..If he's available, I would AT THE VERY LEAST consider it, if I were TT, because certainly there has to be a place for a future perennial Pro Bowler on our piss-poor line..I've read about the possibility of moving Tauscher to guard so that FRICKEN BARRY can start at right tackle..Here's a better idea..Move Tauscher to guard so FERGUSON can start at right tackle..In addition to being a beast, he also seems like the type of athletic lineman that a team would look for who runs the zone blocking scheme..Right now, there are three starting spots WIDE open on our offensive line..Draft Ferguson, and it's down to two wide open spots..Then trade for Faine, and it's down to one spot..And then I would put Wells at the right guard spot because I think he can be a capable starter at either guard or center (I would put Tauscher at left guard so him and Cliffy can protect (insert FAVRE or RODGERS here)'s blind side...Our line would be pretty much set..With a little continuity, that line could possibly become as good as the one we had before Rivera and Wahle left..I'm just throwin it out there..Why no love for D'Brickashaw?

gureski
04-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Picking Brick would be a horrible move because you already have 2 very talented and young Tackles in Tauscher and Clifton as well as two capable back ups in Barry and Klem. You're stacked at Tackle. Picking a tackle does nothing but create a logjam at a position that you're already covered at.

now, you mentioned the move to guard. How long do you think that's going to fly? They move Tauscher inside, where he said he doesn't want to go, and pay him tackle money to play guard. Now, you've got 3 starters on your line making tackle money and one guy who is soured. It wont take long before one of those guys has to be moved so that each can play the position they're best suited for. (and so that the team can stay under the cap).

In the very short term, picking Brickshaw would work but in the long run it would be a disaster. It just wouldn't do anything for the future of the club over the next 5 years. It would cause us to dump one of the two legitimate tackles we already have to propertly utilize Brickshaw. In a way it would be spinning our wheels.

Also, that first round pick is not the only pick that the team will be able to consider drafting a guy to start on the line. We have very good picks this year.

Harlan Huckleby
04-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Picking Brickshaw and movign Tauscher to guard would be a fine long term move. If Tauscher is amenable, otherwise, what's the point? Tauscher will just leave in the long run.

Deputy Nutz
04-01-2006, 06:20 PM
It would be a garabage pick. Simply put, Tausher is one of the top three right tackles in the league. Barry is going to be asked to compete at guard for a starting position, not at right tackle.

How does this upgrade the offensive line in 2006? You have to ask a Taucsher to play guard, when he has never played the position even in college, he would have to learn the position in one year, and you can bet he would make several mistakes a game, and wouldn't be the player that he is at tackle.

Both him and Clifton are both players in their late twenties that can play in Green Bay for another 5 years. here is an idea, spend a second or third rounder on a guard, where this team is extremely weak with unproven talent. Fill a position where you actually have the hole.

In my opinion the need is just not there, or at least not specific enough of a pick to upgrade the offensive line. Nothing against Ferguson's talent, but he doesn't improve the guard position on the offensive line, regardless of the above suggestions that some of you made.

The last time I checked offensive coordinators with a half of a brain don't use three tackles.

you want to improve the guard play, draft or sign an actual guard.

Partial
04-01-2006, 06:22 PM
screw the 2nd or third, i'm talking second day picks here people.

Deputy Nutz
04-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I am totally in agreement in waiting for the second day of the draft before reaching on offensive guards, or centers. The only two players that I would take in round 2 are Nick Mangold, Center, and David Joseph at Guard.