PDA

View Full Version : Punter Ryan didn't know fake was off

packers11
09-30-2007, 10:03 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070930/PKR0201/70930053/1989

Notebook: Punter Ryan didn't know fake was off

By Pete Dougherty and Rob Demovsky
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Everyone knew the fake punt was called off except for one person – the punter.

That left Jon Ryan scrambling to make something out of nothing, which is exactly what he did on the way to converting a fourth-and-4 play from midfield early in the third quarter. Ryan had the Packers’ second-longest rush of the day, a 7-yard gain in which he broke two tackles for a first down.

“It was a called fake, but we didn’t quite communicate properly, and I was pretty much the only person who thought it was still a fake,” Ryan said. “When I went to pass, there was no there to pass to. I made the best of it, I guess.”

The Packers coaches thought they had the Vikings in a favorable look to try a pass, which was supposed to go to the right flat, but at the last second, they called it off.

“(Ryan) didn’t hear it, so he reacted like he thought the play was on,” special teams coordinator Mike Stock said. “I thought he did a hell of a job. It’s not his fault. That was my fault. We had to give a visual sign for him, and we didn’t have that. So that’s on me.”

The Packers turned Ryan’s play into a 44-yard field goal by Mason Crosby that gave them a 13-6 lead with 6:04 remaining in the third quarter.

Ryan, who played running back in high school back in Canada, had a large welt on his lower back that he said he sustained when Dontarrious Thomas tackled him on his run.

Ryan also had a strong day punting, except for one poor kick. A 33-yard shank that went out of bounds at the Vikings’ 42-yard was Ryan’s only blemish. Even with that punt, he averaged 49.0 yards (gross) and 44.3 (net) on four punts. He won a huge field-position battle when he booted a 54-yard punt with 4.8 seconds of hang time that Will Blackmon downed at the Vikings’ 7-yard line.

woodbuck27
10-01-2007, 01:26 AM
That play will make plays of the week in sports.

It is some fun to watch. :)

KYPack
10-01-2007, 07:30 AM
OK, then that goofy ass play makes sense.

Because it was no play.

Usually fake punts fall into 2 categories:

1. Teams tip it when they have a punt block on. The fullback will call for a pass to the side the block is on. Either the punter or the fullback is the passer

2. Teams peel too aggressively. Once again, the fullback calls for a run right at the peel guys, who are way down field, giving the runner 15 - 20 yds of room.

This one was just the punter running at the line. It made no sense. Stock better get his act together. All 11 guys must know when a fake is on. "The punter didn't hear the audible"?

That excuse ain't cuttin' it.

Badgerinmaine
10-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Can't argue with the results! Next time, though, that might not work out so well, so they'd better work on that... though maybe it worked better this way.

Scott Campbell
10-01-2007, 08:07 AM
It was surreal. He kept running into his own guys and bouncing off them. I can't say that he was very instictive. But he was effective, and broke a few tackles.

All's well that ends well. Nice job John!

MJZiggy
10-01-2007, 08:21 AM
This is the second time they've called off a fake and forgot to tell the punter. :crazy:

At least this time worked out well...

Partial
10-01-2007, 08:53 AM
This play was pretty damn funny. I am surprised by the lack of bicep comments this week towards him, though.

Guiness
10-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Didn't see the play, but am anxious to! He broke tackles? Awesome.

What about a bicep?

You do have to like his 49yd avg this week though! Talk about getting a 'free' field position advantage.

run pMc
10-01-2007, 10:49 AM
The announcers made it sound like it was a called fake, but it sure looked like a busted play to me...I was yelling at the TV the whole time Ryan was scrambling around. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and still don't believe he got the 1st! The odds of succeeding on that play have to be slim. I like how he juked about 4-5 defenders on the cut back, then runs into his own blockers, takes a hit and gets the 1st down. Between that run and the 15 yarder Grant ripped off, that was half the rushing yardage. Sad.

I agree about the miscommunication...that's inexcusable for a team that has genuine playoff aspirations. Young team or not, I hope they get it together or Mike Stock is going to be bagging groceries.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Ryan had 3 great punts and 1 shank, and he made the run. His struggles after the first two weeks seem to be behind him. That last punt was really clutch.

Harlan Huckleby
10-01-2007, 10:57 AM
It probably worked MUCH better because only the punter knew it was a fake. The other guys on the team didn't do anything to tip-off the defense. I LOVE the call, am only sorry to hear that they didn't really have the nerve to call it.

On an almost related note: it seems like the Packers have forgotten how to run screens. They are too obvious about it. The trick is to block like it is a regular pass play long enough to fool the defensive lineman, they aren't fooling anybody.

LL2
10-01-2007, 11:00 AM
It was great to see him scramble and fight for that first down. I can't imagine too many punters doing that with guys twice their size all around them. He earned a lot of respect.

woodbuck27
10-01-2007, 11:11 AM
It probably worked MUCH better because only the punter knew it was a fake. The other guys on the team didn't do anything to tip-off the defense. I LOVE the call, am only sorry to hear that they didn't really have the nerve to call it.

On an almost related note: it seems like the Packers have forgotten how to run screens. They are too obvious about it. The trick is to block like it is a regular pass play long enough to fool the defensive lineman, they aren't fooling anybody.

I recall one very well executed screen pass yesterday Harlan, near the right hash marks and for a solid gain.

GO PACK GO !

Little Whiskey
10-01-2007, 12:12 PM
I wonder if they count the 3-4 broken tackles he had against his own team!

that play was crazy, i couldn't believe the call.....now i understand.

KYPack
10-01-2007, 12:44 PM
That screw-up is 90% the fault of the fullback. The FB is the QB of the punt team. He calls the fakes, calls 'em off & it's his job to make sure the punter knows the call. It ain't no big thing to turn and look him in the eye and double check the call off. It ain't no big deal the punter just kicks the ball.

But not communicating the audible, THAT'S a big deal. We got a young team and this stuff happens.

Ryan's a good kid, he'll be one of the best punters in the league in a season or two.

4and12to12and4
10-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Well, it sure makes sense now, I watched that play and thought, why in the hell are there no friggin' blockers out in front of him? It didn't seem like a called play at all, or just executed horribly. When he juked to his left and three or four Vikings fell out of their socks, I almost lost it. And even then, he still had to get his friggin' teammates out of the way just to get the first down. One of the finest ST play a punter could ever have. Who knows, that might inspire MM to fake a few times this year, knowing our punter is better than our RB's!! :cry: :cry: