PDA

View Full Version : Mpls Tribune- Metrodome Packer Fans

CaliforniaCheez
10-01-2007, 12:14 AM
http://www.startribune.com/vikings/story/1455225.html

Favre and frustration mark another loss

An antagonistic crowd chanted "GO PACK GO" late Sunday afternoon, jeering the Vikings off their home field. Coach Brad Childress was attempting to regain his composure, having hurled his headset and spiked a water cup during a sideline tantrum. Dozens of photographers surrounded the star of the game, who most certainly was not wearing a Vikings uniform.

By the time their 23-16 loss to Green Bay was official, the Vikings had endured historic embarrassment, exploded in multiple tirades -- one of which spilled into the locker room -- and listened as a pro-Packers crowd celebrated it all. Now 1-3 following the easiest part of their schedule, the Vikings can only hope their coming bye week will produce a new direction after an otherwise deflating Sunday.

Sunday they again missed a chance to tie on their final possession. Packers cornerback Atari Bigby ended the threat with 1 minute, 11 seconds remaining by intercepting a Kelly Holcomb pass at Green Bay's 24.

The Vikings have displayed no quantifiable improvement from their 2006 performance.

Worse, many of their problems from a year ago have continued.

Their offense still has trouble scoring touchdowns, and passes into the end zone remain scarce. The Vikings were limited to field goal attempts until Holcomb's 15-yard pass to rookie receiver Sidney Rice with 1:55 remaining. It was the Vikings' only shot into the end zone for the game.

Ryan Longwell accounted for the remainder of the scoring with field goals of 44, 35 and 48 yards. Overall this season, Longwell has six field goals; the Vikings have scored four offensive touchdowns.

They committed seven penalties Sunday -- including five for either false starts, encroachment or delay of game -- and their defense gave up at least 300 passing yards for the sixth time in its past 20 games. Packers quarterback Brett Favre threw for 344 yards and broke Dan Marino's all-time record for touchdown passes with a 16-yard pass to Greg Jennings in the first quarter.

Favre's 33-yard scoring pass to James Jones gave the Packers a 23-9 lead with 5:46 left, setting off a loud celebration from a Green Bay ticket-holding contingent that turned the Metrodome into West Lambeau Field.

Yes, keeping the team together appeared to be a legitimate task Sunday. The locker room was mostly silent when reporters began interviews, save for a chippy exchange between Holcomb and tight end Visanthe Shiancoe, and most players exited quickly.

The bye week arrived at the right time in at least one respect. Childress will give players most of this week off, giving everyone a cool-down period before returning next week.

Kevin Seifert • kseifert@startribune.com

FritzDontBlitz
10-01-2007, 12:33 AM
wow.

brett should be the official plunger pusher when they decide to blow up the humpty dump.

oh wait, i think he just did.... :taunt:

run pMc
10-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Good post.

I give kudos to the MN fans for cheering when Favre got the record-breaking TD...I thought that showed some class in what has been a bitter rivalry in recent years. Then again, maybe it was the # of GB fans that made it seem like they all were cheering.

Seriously, it sounds like Childress has a real problem on his hands...it's going to be tough to keep that team from going sour on him. I asked a couple of Vikes fans if they thought Childress was gone after this year, and they all said yes.

Holcomb is probably pissed at Shiancoe because the radio announcers made it sound like he couldn't pass block a statue, and Holcomb took a beating in the 2nd half. I don't know why you'd slide your pass pro away from Kampman and single-block him with a TE.

While we're on the topic of MIN's coaching decisions on offense...

I still don't know why they didn't just run AP until his tongue hangs out of his mouth. With the left side of that OL, they could just hand the ball off to him 6-8 straight times and they'd score most of the time. They'd probably be 3-1 if they did. The coaches must know something about him the rest of us don't. AP and Rice are going to be tough for GB to play against for the next few years.

Carolina_Packer
10-01-2007, 10:53 AM
The Viking braintrust is kidding itself if they think they can win games with Tavarious Jackson and Kelly Holcomb at QB. What are they thinking? If you go with a developmental QB or a career backup at the most important position on your team, the results speak for themselves.

If MM had to start his career in Green Bay with a rookie at QB, and then we brought in a career backup like Holcomb, I bet our offense would be sputtering too. Thankfully, we are not living that nightmare.

I think their defense is good overall, sometimes great in spots. If they would ride AP a little more and try and play ball control on offense instead of trying to win it with Holcomb or Jackson's arm, I think they'd be better off. All that talk about not wanting to wear AP out...come on. You're 1-3, you're going nowhere fast, give the guy the rock, have Taylor spell him sometimes and let Holcomb/Jackson pick their spots for passes. If they could control the clock on offense, and with their good defense, they could keep games close and steal a few. Childress just needs to play to his strengths more.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 11:17 AM
I still don't know why they didn't just run AP until his tongue hangs out of his mouth. With the left side of that OL, they could just hand the ball off to him 6-8 straight times and they'd score most of the time.

Peterson is a beast, and not everyone of their OL is extremely overrated. However, as a whole, they are. Their OL isn't as good as many make them out to be--and that includes the left-side of their OL.

Partial
10-01-2007, 11:35 AM
I still don't know why they didn't just run AP until his tongue hangs out of his mouth. With the left side of that OL, they could just hand the ball off to him 6-8 straight times and they'd score most of the time.

Peterson is a beast, and not everyone of their OL is extremely overrated. However, as a whole, they are. Their OL isn't as good as many make them out to be--and that includes the left-side of their OL.

I think they're pretty bad. Hutch has to be considered a let down for them and McKinnie looks like he is playing at his max. We were very fortunate to land two solid tackles in Clifton and Tauscher with non-first round picks.

falco
10-01-2007, 05:33 PM
I saw some disappointing sights at the metrodome. A couple of drunk packer fans behind us were bantering back and forth with some drunk viking fans a few rows in front of us. right ahead of us was an elderly man, pretty quietly rooting for the pack.

when the packers scored their last touchdown, the old guy proceeded to clap. one of the vikings fans who was losing his temper all game long turned around and got right in the old guys face; the old guy was shocked and ended up leaving.

its too bad. security in the upper deck was non-existent and some people I know said if it was lambeau that guy would have been yanked. I'm as big a packer fan as they come but i couldn't imagine taking out my anger on someone else like that, let alone a helpless old guy.

i haven't been to a lambeau field game since I was 7, but I sure hope packer fans are more gracious in defeat. it was a sad scene.

plus i had to pee on the way out and barely made it out of the bathroom since I was one green shirt amongst many angry purple ones. scary scene.

Spaulding
10-01-2007, 08:09 PM
Unfortunately, you see that to some extent at Lambeau as well. Dumbasses cheer all teams, thankfully the Pack has a much smaller share than most NFL teams and for the most part Lambeau is a pleasant place for all.

Speaking of dumb people, any chance the Vikings fan in question starred in the movie "Idiocracy?"

falco
10-01-2007, 08:19 PM
For the record, 99.9% of the Vikings fans I bumped into seemed like ordinary, if perhaps misguided, people.

BallHawk
10-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Miller Park= Wrigley Field North

The Metrodome= Lambeau Field West

8-)

3irty1
10-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Lambeau is a classier place despite all the alcohol consumed in the parking lots. I think its probably because people over 30 have all tickets.

Rastak
10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
For the record, 99.9% of the Vikings fans I bumped into seemed like ordinary, if perhaps misguided, people.

While in the dome, you are the misguided one Falco!

Anyway, before the game heading into the stadium I saw more jackass Vike fans. Once inside the concourse there were a group of 8 Pack fans that were pretty annoying. During the game the Vike fans behind me were first class jackasses. Most of the Pack fans around me were cool. There was one dipshit about 6 rows down. My buddy had a total jerk Pack Fan sitting in front of him in another section.

On the way out, Vike jerks outnumbered Pack jerks.

As for the old man, if that happened near me I can promise you I'd have said something immediately. That's real sad to hear.

CaliforniaCheez
10-02-2007, 01:08 AM
There are jerks, drunks, and apples in every crowd.

Cheering your team is always okay.

There are no points for fighting with drunks.

Throwing beer in the crowd gets negative points for hitting bystanders and is not manly.

run pMc
10-02-2007, 10:08 AM
I thought the point of going was to see the game live, soak up the atmosphere, and cheer on the team(s), not get stinking drunk, make an arse of yourself and put people down. Oh well, silly me.

To be fair, most fans (of all teams...well, maybe not the Raiders) are pretty decent folks. It's the jerks that stand out.

Badgerinmaine
10-02-2007, 12:00 PM
There are jerks, drunks, and apples in every crowd.

Cheering your team is always okay.

There are no points for fighting with drunks.

Throwing beer in the crowd gets negative points for hitting bystanders and is not manly.

I'll vote the straight ticket here and agree with all of these statements. I've run into some jerks while I was rooting for the road team, most prominently getting ice dumped down my back while rooting for the Brewers at the Metrodome and having two drunks spit beer on my hand at the old Three Rivers Stadium (after they left after half an inning, a couple of good 'Burgh fans apologized on their behalf). I wasn't trying to provoke anybody either time. It takes guts to root for the road team, and as long as people aren't being jerks about it, people should leave them alone--whether it's my home game or someone else's.