PDA

View Full Version : James Jones TD

cheesner
10-01-2007, 12:56 AM
I didn't get to see much of the game. When I did it was at a crowded bar with a limited view. One of the first plays I saw, was James Jones TD catch.

What struck me on this play is that when Brett threw the ball, I immediately thought it was over-thrown. But James accelerated, caught the ball in stride, and went in for the TD. He made it look easy.

Marcus McCauley was covering him at the time and Jones left him in the dust. Both of these men are rookies, Marcus was much more highly tauted in part because of his athletic skills. He ran a 4.36 at the combine. Our Jones was in the mid 4.5s and even in the 4.6s and thus was down graded in the draft. Yet here he is, blowing past 'faster' players in a live game.

I know there is such thing as 'game speed' but I think it has more to do with the predraft training. I think these guys specifically work out to improve their 40 times. Once they are drafted they stop and work on getting into more general football shape.

Patler
10-01-2007, 01:03 AM
I know there is such thing as 'game speed' but I think it has more to do with the predraft training. I think these guys specifically work out to improve their 40 times.

Yup. Better Combine numbers means more money in the pocket, as most teams seem enamored with Combine numbers. TT doesn't seem to be one of those.

FritzDontBlitz
10-01-2007, 03:15 AM
mccauley was frozen by favre's pumpfake while jones kept running. when mcauley realized what happened it was too late to recover. still, it didnt look good when he stopped chasing jones as soon as he saw him catch the ball.

woodbuck27
10-01-2007, 03:28 AM
James Jones made a beautiful grap on that pass to get a TD.

He has potential.

pack4to84
10-01-2007, 07:47 AM
That was the same play they ran earlier where Favre got into Jones face, yelling at him for running the wrong route. Favre on that play through it deep but Jones cut the route off.

3irty1
10-01-2007, 08:35 AM
I didn't get to see much of the game. When I did it was at a crowded bar with a limited view. One of the first plays I saw, was James Jones TD catch.

What struck me on this play is that when Brett threw the ball, I immediately thought it was over-thrown. But James accelerated, caught the ball in stride, and went in for the TD. He made it look easy.

Marcus McCauley was covering him at the time and Jones left him in the dust. Both of these men are rookies, Marcus was much more highly tauted in part because of his athletic skills. He ran a 4.36 at the combine. Our Jones was in the mid 4.5s and even in the 4.6s and thus was down graded in the draft. Yet here he is, blowing past 'faster' players in a live game.

I know there is such thing as 'game speed' but I think it has more to do with the predraft training. I think these guys specifically work out to improve their 40 times. Once they are drafted they stop and work on getting into more general football shape.

Ron Wolfs view of 40 times:

"You need a baseline, a common denominator, and that's what 40 times are. They are like minimum qualifying standards.

So college players finish their senior seasons and have their agent hire a speed coach like Turner, or enroll them in one of several speed schools (at upward of $10,000) for the sole purpose of lowering their 40 time by two-tenths of a second. They learn how to start. They learn how to run with their feet higher off the ground, which goes against accepted football practice of low, quick feet necessary for rapid changes of direction."

Brandon494
10-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Thats the thing I love about JJ, he is great at catching the ball with his hands.

packiowa
10-01-2007, 09:35 AM
mccauley was frozen by favre's pumpfake while jones kept running. when mcauley realized what happened it was too late to recover. still, it didnt look good when he stopped chasing jones as soon as he saw him catch the ball.

No, McCaulley had hs back to the play. The safety was frozen by the fake, but Marcus was just half a step behind a much bigger man the entire way. I really like JJ, but he isn't in the same league as DD and GJ when it comes to YAC.

Partial
10-01-2007, 09:56 AM
McCauley looks like he is going to be special. Minnesota really hit a homerun with their draft.

LL2
10-01-2007, 10:57 AM
McCauley looks like he is going to be special. Minnesota really hit a homerun with their draft.

I'd like to see JJ get ROY!

oregonpackfan
10-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Thats the thing I love about JJ, he is great at catching the ball with his hands.

Not only catching the ball with his hands, but his hands are very strong in being able to hold onto the ball. He reminds me very much of Lee Evans' hand strength.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 11:52 AM

Unless Adrian Peterson gets hurt, I don't see that happening.

Partial
10-01-2007, 11:53 AM

I was going to say the same thing.

Joemailman
10-01-2007, 12:13 PM
With Childress as his coach, anything is possible. Actually, I think JJ probably has little chance of keeping pace with Bowe. Bowe is clearly KC's most talented WR, whereas JJ is probably no better than #3 on the Pack as long as Jennings is healthy.

mraynrand
10-01-2007, 12:18 PM
I know there is such thing as 'game speed' but I think it has more to do with the predraft training. I think these guys specifically work out to improve their 40 times.

Yup. Better Combine numbers means more money in the pocket, as most teams seem enamored with Combine numbers. TT doesn't seem to be one of those.

TT is on record saying that he was telling people in the draft room to remind him not to get carried away with combine numbers - he said he wanted to draft football players. I think that was in direct response to questions about trading with NE and drafting Jennings rather than whatshisface who Belicheat picked.

4and12to12and4
10-01-2007, 01:18 PM
That catch was actually a bit overthrown, and JJ had to catch it with his fingertips while straddling the sideline. I rewatched that play over 20 times, it was Rice-like. He has great hands, and has an uncanny ability to get space from his defenders. Brett may have helped with that pump fake, but when you watch the game over and over again, just keying on JJ, he's open A LOT!! Sometimes Favre just doesn't look his way.

We are going to need a couple of deep plays early against the Bears, cuz if they hover around with 8 in the box, just looking for slants and outs, Brett's gonna get picked often. We HAVE to keep them honest with the long ball, that is, unless our run game suddenly appears out of nowhere.

Partial
10-01-2007, 01:20 PM
That catch was actually a bit overthrown, and JJ had to catch it with his fingertips while straddling the sideline. I rewatched that play over 20 times, it was Rice-like. He has great hands, and has an uncanny ability to get space from his defenders. Brett may have helped with that pump fake, but when you watch the game over and over again, just keying on JJ, he's open A LOT!! Sometimes Favre just doesn't look his way.

We are going to need a couple of deep plays early against the Bears, cuz if they hover around with 8 in the box, just looking for slants and outs, Brett's gonna get picked often. We HAVE to keep them honest with the long ball, that is, unless our run game suddenly appears out of nowhere.

I actually thought he didn't get a lot of seperation from McCauley. The DB definitely looked like he has the potential to be a good player because he is so gosh darn fast.

4and12to12and4
10-01-2007, 01:31 PM

I actually thought he didn't get a lot of seperation from McCauley. The DB definitely looked like he has the potential to be a good player because he is so gosh darn fast.

100% agree. That had more to do with Favre's pump fake. I TVO all the games and rewatch them keying individuals, the first two games, I did alot of keying on the o-line and RB's, that became so depressing, I've been keying the receivers, and have noticed (when they're still in the picture) that Jennings and JJ get open quite often. Especially when improvising when the pocket breaks down. By the way, Favre threw a pass to Jennings into the endzone that was barely overthrown, with a defender right on him, and DD was 5 yards behind him running all alone on the 5 yard line with his defender 3 yards behind him. I rewatched that a few times hoping Favre would change his mind. He never did. :wink:

dt2121
10-01-2007, 01:44 PM

I was going to say the same thing.

Are you kidding? Mase "in your face" Crosby has all but locked up Offensive Rookie of the Year unless he tweaks a groin or something :wink: .

The Pack is Front.

Maxie the Taxi
10-01-2007, 05:07 PM
Jones reminded me of Boyd Dowler on that catch.

The Shadow
10-01-2007, 05:09 PM
That touchdown toss to Jones was eerily similar to the first significant td toss Favre made as a Packer - to Kittrick Taylor, to beat the Bengals many years ago.

the_idle_threat
10-01-2007, 06:18 PM

TT is on record saying that he was telling people in the draft room to remind him not to get carried away with combine numbers - he said he wanted to draft football players. I think that was in direct response to questions about trading with NE and drafting Jennings rather than whatshisface who Belicheat picked.

Yes ... the "pretty girls with curls" comment. :lol:

Was he talking about dreads? :o

BallHawk
10-01-2007, 08:44 PM

That's one thing I really like about TT, he doesn't get caught up with the combine. If he did, I'm almost certain he would of drafted Chad Jackson.

In retrospect, at least for now, Jennings looks like the right move. While Jennings hasn't been Mr. Durability himself, Jackson missed 4 games last year, barely played in a few, and hasn't played this year.

Hey, Wausau, if you're out there, wanna go for Round 2? :duel:

the_idle_threat
10-01-2007, 09:49 PM
That's one thing I really like about TT, he doesn't get caught up with the combine. If he did, I'm almost certain he would of drafted Chad Jackson.

Not to mention Vernon Davis.

Partial
10-01-2007, 09:51 PM
Speaking of VD, whats the latest in the Ron Mexico trial? :lol: Gosh I crack myself up.

But seriously, how is Vernon Davis doing these days?

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Speaking of VD, whats the latest in the Ron Mexico trial? :lol: Gosh I crack myself up.

He got off to a slow start. Now, he's injured is out for 2-3 weeks.

BallHawk
10-01-2007, 10:35 PM

He got off to a slow start. Now, he's injured is out for 2-3 weeks.

Not to mention his annual punchups with teammates.

The only guy that I would consider trading Hawk for that was available at #5 would be Ernie Simms. I'd probably still pick Hawk, but I'd be more than happy to have Simms on our team.