PDA

View Full Version : Vikings insist officials missed interference call

AtlPackFan
10-01-2007, 11:08 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=669379

:violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:

Actually, I didn't see the game yesterday so I can't say if it was or it wasn't. But it seems to me that its difficult to point to one referee's call and say "this is what cost us the game". Was this a blatantly bad call? Was this the difference in the game?

Zool
10-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Holy schnarks Holcomb, you're really going to do this? Say that a penalty was missed? If the back judge had bothered to call holding on the MN line yesterday, the Vikes would have had 25 penalties. Complaining about officiating after a game is weak, as are his QB skills.

Joemailman
10-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Holcomb showed no leadership at all yesterday. His demeanor all day was that of someone looking for someone to blame whenever things went wrong. I suspect his own teammates probably don't respect him much.

MadtownPacker
10-01-2007, 11:26 AM
He seems to forget that if dumbass Grant doesnt fumble he never even gets the ball back.

Joemailman
10-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Wasn't Woodson about 2 yards from the line of scrimmage? So if they call the penalty, it's a 2 yard penalty. It's still no guarantee they would have scored if the penalty was called. He should be more concerned about the pass where he missed a wide open Rice. Maybe he's hoping people will forget about that one.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 11:36 AM
People in Minnesota seem to whine about officiating more than most. It's a big conspiracy or something--because Brett is the NFL's darling. What did we get 4 or 5 illegal contact penalties? I'm sure the Vikings defenders never touched our guys more than 5 yards down the field. Occasionally complaining about officiating is fine, but when you do it all of the time, it just sounds whiny. People here think Hall clearly fumbled too. To me, that was a bang-bang play that could have gone either way--just like the illegal contact penalty on Charles Woodson's interception return for a TD.

rpiotr01
10-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I thought that if anything the officials were too aggressive with the PI and defensive holding calls.

Apparently Ed Hochuli never heard of "bump and run coverage". To him, "bump and run coverage" means that, in order to cover your ass when you buy steroids to jack yourself up, you accidentally bump into your dealer at the gym, and when he drops the package on the ground, you pick it up and run.

AtlPackFan
10-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Holcomb showed no leadership at all yesterday. His demeanor all day was that of someone looking for someone to blame whenever things went wrong. I suspect his own teammates probably don't respect him much.

But it wasn't just Holcomb who was bitching. Childress and others said the same thing. It sounds like the whole Minny team was blaming their loss on that call. :roll:

Bossman641
10-01-2007, 11:42 AM
I thought that if anything the officials were too aggressive with the PI and defensive holding calls.

Apparently Ed Hochuli never heard of "bump and run coverage". To him, "bump and run coverage" means that, in order to cover your ass when you buy steroids to jack yourself up, you accidentally bump into your dealer at the gym, and when he drops the package on the ground, you pick it up and run.

LOL.

http://images.nfl.com/photos/img9156799.jpg

I've always wanted a huge brawl to start in an NFL game just so Hochuli could come in and kick some ass.

mraynrand
10-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Things are murky inside 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. So it's legal to bump inside 5, but then if the ball is thrown, magically, bumping becomes interference, even if the receiver is engaged - bumping or hold you (like happened to Al Harris this week and last). If a receiver starts blocking before the ball is caught by another receiver or running back, it's a penalty. There again, a receiver being bumped and pushing in 'bump and run' is magically converted to a receiver committing a penalty.

There's no good fix for this - it has to be a judgment call by the refs. If Harris and Woodson are engaged in pushing and shoving and the receiver is pushing back, inside 5 yards, I would think that the rule for calling interference (offensive or defensive) would be if one player is gaining an advantage. Otherwise you'd have to abolish all contact - then it would be worse than Arena league. So when Ty Davis pushed off last week against San Diego, he gained an advantage and pass interference was easy to call. Sunday, when Al Harris and the receiver were pushing each other, no advantage was gained, so nothing should have been called. I'll have to look at that Woodson coverage again, but I recall the receiver giving him a pretty good stiff arm - so I suspect the ref figured it was a pretty fair exchange and didn't call anything.

Joemailman
10-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Good post mraynrand, but who is Ty Davis? :cnf:

mraynrand
10-01-2007, 12:19 PM

Oh crap, I was thinking of David Lee - they all blend together after a while - like LeShon Johnson and DeMond Parker.

mraynrand
10-01-2007, 12:22 PM

Oh crap, I was thinking of David Lee - they all blend together after a while - like LeShon Johnson and DeMond Parker.

It is David Lee, right? Or am I confusing him with David Martin? LOL. Donald Lee! or was it Donald Driver?

HELP!!!!!

FritzDontBlitz
10-01-2007, 12:26 PM
could have been minnie driver or donald pleasance? or sutherland?

donald duck?

lol

cpk1994
10-01-2007, 12:27 PM

But it wasn't just Holcomb who was bitching. Childress and others said the same thing. It sounds like the whole Minny team was blaming their loss on that call. :roll:I guess they have decided to ignore the fact the ball was tipped, negating PI. It further shows how dumb they are.

Patler
10-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Things are murky inside 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. So it's legal to bump inside 5, but then if the ball is thrown, magically, bumping becomes interference, even if the receiver is engaged - bumping or hold you (like happened to Al Harris this week and last). If a receiver starts blocking before the ball is caught by another receiver or running back, it's a penalty. There again, a receiver being bumped and pushing in 'bump and run' is magically converted to a receiver committing a penalty.

There's no good fix for this - it has to be a judgment call by the refs. If Harris and Woodson are engaged in pushing and shoving and the receiver is pushing back, inside 5 yards, I would think that the rule for calling interference (offensive or defensive) would be if one player is gaining an advantage. Otherwise you'd have to abolish all contact - then it would be worse than Arena league. So when Ty Davis pushed off last week against San Diego, he gained an advantage and pass interference was easy to call. Sunday, when Al Harris and the receiver were pushing each other, no advantage was gained, so nothing should have been called. I'll have to look at that Woodson coverage again, but I recall the receiver giving him a pretty good stiff arm - so I suspect the ref figured it was a pretty fair exchange and didn't call anything.

Also factor in that both players have the right to go after the ball, so if they are shoulder to shoulder bumping one another the officials will ignore it close to the line of scrimmage.

Patler
10-01-2007, 12:32 PM
I guess they have decided to ignore the fact the ball was tipped, negating PI. It further shows how dumb they are.

I think their argument is that the interference was before the tip. It was actually tipped at the point where they feel interference occurred.

LEWCWA
10-01-2007, 12:32 PM
In my opinion, the call before on Harris was bogus as well.

4and12to12and4
10-01-2007, 12:39 PM
I've watched the game three times now, and our corners got bullshit calls on them. Most of the bumping was legally within the 5 yards, which is what Harris was yelling at the officials about. The reason they were getting called for it was because the receivers were so bad, they couldn't get away from the "bump" and it virtually became a pushing match, and when the receiver would then grab on, it looked like a mauling was taking place. It was a joke. There was a play in the third quarter that the Vikings RB ran ten yards downfield and just ran straight into Hawk knocking him back three yards, spun around hoping his shitty QB would throw him the ball. Of course, Holcomb threw some shit pass out of bounds or something, but, I sat there rewatching that thinking, holy shit, right out in the middle of the field, not one official saw that? Players get away with shit on EVERY play. If you rewatch games, you can pinpoint so much holding and picking and interferences, it's ridiculous. To bitch about officials after a game is sad. The Vikings lost because their QB is beyond horrible. If he starts next week, Childress should be fired, I don't know who their third stringer is, but he needs to be strapping it up next week.

Adrian Peterson is a monster, BTW. Thank god their passing game is horrific, or we'd be 3-1.

cpk1994
10-01-2007, 12:42 PM
I guess they have decided to ignore the fact the ball was tipped, negating PI. It further shows how dumb they are.

I think their argument is that the interference was before the tip. It was actually tipped at the point where they feel interference occurred.

OK, good point. But, Childress still looks dumb and petty for bashing the refs in pulbic like that. He should look at himself if he is looking for someone to blame for losing the game, and not the refs.

mngolf19
10-01-2007, 12:51 PM
As was stated earlier but some have ignored, bumping inside of 5 yards is fine until the ball is thrown. Once it is thrown there can be no contact by either player. If contact was made while the ball in air, it's a penalty on whoever the ref feels made the most contact and therefore the interception would not have happened if the defender was called. It would have been a 5 yard penalty and I believe 1st down again. In this particular instance the ref stated he was not looking that direction so he could not make the call. Chicago DBs played this way last year and clearly GB has picked up on it this year. It's a good choice in my opinion but you are going to have these types of calls made on you from time to time. So I wouldn't whine about it from either perspective. It's not like Childress is the only coach to complain about a call. Nor should he call that the reason they lost. (he didn't)

esoxx
10-01-2007, 01:01 PM

But it wasn't just Holcomb who was bitching. Childress and others said the same thing. It sounds like the whole Minny team was blaming their loss on that call. :roll:

Green Bay was in control of the game the entire way. Minn never led at any time.

I can see nit-picking officiating in a back and forth game or when you lead all game and lose late, thinking you were hosed.

But if not for a late score and then a gift fumble, this wasn't even really that close of a game. It was clear all day who the better team was/is.

These whiney comments will just be used to refocus the players when Minn visits Lambeau later in the season.

The Vikings talked shit all week and then got punked on their turf. Deal with it.

mngolf19
10-01-2007, 01:06 PM

Childress and the WR(I forget who it was) were the only ones that mentioned the call. And neither blamed the loss on that call.

And I agree with Joe, Holcomb did not show good leadership out there today and I'm sure that will also go into the decision to start Jackson in the next game.

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 01:07 PM
They didn't blame the game on the call, but I live in Minnesota and the whine-line on KFAN sure had a lot of fans who did.

mngolf19
10-01-2007, 01:10 PM
They didn't blame the game on the call, but I live in Minnesota and the whine-line on KFAN sure had a lot of fans who did.

I'll give that. :)

4and12to12and4
10-01-2007, 01:11 PM
As was stated earlier but some have ignored, bumping inside of 5 yards is fine until the ball is thrown. Once it is thrown there can be no contact by either player. If contact was made while the ball in air, it's a penalty on whoever the ref feels made the most contact and therefore the interception would not have happened if the defender was called. It would have been a 5 yard penalty and I believe 1st down again. In this particular instance the ref stated he was not looking that direction so he could not make the call. Chicago DBs played this way last year and clearly GB has picked up on it this year. It's a good choice in my opinion but you are going to have these types of calls made on you from time to time. So I wouldn't whine about it from either perspective. It's not like Childress is the only coach to complain about a call. Nor should he call that the reason they lost. (he didn't)

You just lost ALL credibility with that statement. If anything, the Bears CB's are the copycats. Al Harris and Chucky have been playing this way their entire careers. The Vikings pussy receivers just couldn't get away from the contact and got stuck in a pushing match, due to their incompetence it made it look like we were mauling them. They didn't have the talent to seperate. That's not our fault. We got jacked on calls in this game, not the Queens. Save it.

mngolf19
10-01-2007, 01:20 PM

You just lost ALL credibility with that statement. If anything, the Bears CB's are the copycats. Al Harris and Chucky have been playing this way their entire careers. The Vikings pussy receivers just couldn't get away from the contact and got stuck in a pushing match, due to their incompetence it made it look like we were mauling them. They didn't have the talent to seperate. That's not our fault. We got jacked on calls in this game, not the Queens. Save it.

What do I need to save? If they are pushing and the ball is in the air, someone is supposed to get called. Has nothing to do with talent. Nor did I say it was all the Packer's fault. Why the venom?

4and12to12and4
10-01-2007, 01:24 PM

What do I need to save? If they are pushing and the ball is in the air, someone is supposed to get called. Has nothing to do with talent. Nor did I say it was all the Packer's fault. Why the venom?

No venom. Just letting you know that credibility is a key ingredient to having people listen and respect what you're saying, and when you said that our corners were copycatting the Bears corners, I lost some respect for you're knowledge of our team, because it's a wide known fact that our corners have played this way while the Bears corners were in PeeWee league. That's all. Be careful what you write.

hoosier
10-01-2007, 01:44 PM
As was stated earlier but some have ignored, bumping inside of 5 yards is fine until the ball is thrown. Once it is thrown there can be no contact by either player. If contact was made while the ball in air, it's a penalty on whoever the ref feels made the most contact and therefore the interception would not have happened if the defender was called.

Not necessarily. It could be ruled incidental contact, for example if the referee thinks the contact was initiated before the ball was thrown and neither player gained an advantage. I looked at one replay and it's clear contact happened before Holcomb threw it, but less clear who initiated it--did Woodson run over Wade or did they run into each other?
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d802db1d2

mmmdk
10-01-2007, 01:49 PM

That makes the win even sweeter :P

mraynrand
10-01-2007, 01:55 PM

That makes the win even sweeter :P

Yes it does. And you can always do the following: concede the point completely -say "Boy, you're right, the Packers got all the calls goin' their way. They really lucked their way into this win. The refs must have been paid off by Bob Harlan. Hochuli is a Packer fan." then for the coup de gras say: "But at the end of the day, and for the record books for all time, it's still a 'W' for Green Bay and an 'L' for Minnesota. Have a nice day!"

That's exactly what I did after the instant replay game with Chicago. And was it sweet.

Tony Oday
10-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Winfield was on KFAN this morning and stated he thought the call could have gone both ways but the simple fact is that the (Vikings) didnt make enough plays to win the game. Class act guy that i wish was in gren and gold

3irty1
10-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I love how physical our corners are. I feel like in an era of ridiculous PI calls, we have developed a sort of "Greg Maddax strike zone" for our secondary. Some of the calls on us are bad but I feel like many more would get called on other teams who don't man up as much as we do. Al and Chuck are aloud to absolutely RUIN your route and hump you all the way down the field.

cpk1994
10-01-2007, 02:42 PM
He may not have explictly said it was the reason they lost the game, but the way he complained about it IMPLIED that he felt it lost the game. He should be explaining why AP only got 2 touches in the 2nd half instead of bitching about the officials.

mngolf19
10-01-2007, 03:05 PM
He may not have explictly said it was the reason they lost the game, but the way he complained about it IMPLIED that he felt it lost the game. He should be explaining why AP only got 2 touches in the 2nd half instead of bitching about the officials.

I'm guessing, but he was probably responding to a question about it. And if the reporters didn't ask him about AP, then they weren't doing their job. Because I agree with you on that too.

Partial
10-01-2007, 03:07 PM
He was getting mugged. It was definitely a penalty. Oh well. I am sure they missed plenty of penalties both ways.

No one play makes a game.

4and12to12and4
10-01-2007, 03:20 PM
He was getting mugged. It was definitely a penalty. Oh well. I am sure they missed plenty of penalties both ways.

No one play makes a game.

Quote of the thread!! Done.

the_idle_threat
10-01-2007, 03:28 PM
I love how physical our corners are. I feel like in an era of ridiculous PI calls, we have developed a sort of "Greg Maddax strike zone" for our secondary. Some of the calls on us are bad but I feel like many more would get called on other teams who don't man up as much as we do. Al and Chuck are aloud to absolutely RUIN your route and hump you all the way down the field.

:lol: :lol: :lol: LOVE IT!

HarveyWallbangers
10-01-2007, 10:45 PM
LeRoy Butler

Q: Do you think Charles Woodson should have been called for pass interference on the Atari Bigby interception, and are Woodson and Al Harris playing with fire playing such a physical style of bump-and-run?

A: I think it's sour grapes on the part of Minnesota because this game is designed for the receivers to always get free. When that doesn't happen everybody is always up in arms. He was called earlier for an illegal chuck downfield when he returned an interception for a touchdown. If you noticed, Woodson didn't even complain. It's part of the game. So I think the way the cornerbacks play it's going to happen and as Packers fans we'll live with that. And Minnesota should live with it when they don't make calls that tight. I thought he had it played excellent. I think he's a smart cornerback to know that in that formation they've been running that same route. I kind of agree with Woodson because he's in a position already established on the field and the receiver is not trying to avoid him, just trying to run into him. I think it's what we call a no-play. You just let them play.

gbgary
10-01-2007, 10:55 PM
http://images.nfl.com/photos/img9156799.jpg

ed hockaloogy, and his buds, missed plenty of calls on both sides of the ball.

OS PA
10-02-2007, 01:29 AM
One question I have is from the San Diego game. Remember the play when Harris bumped at the line and completely destroyed his receiver? Rivers threw it in their direction and there was a penalty called on Harris. If it's the case that it isn't a penalty within five yards until the ball is thrown, why don't quarterbacks throw it over the head of the receivers getting bumped at the beginning of each play? If the bump becomes a penalty the second the ball is released you think quarterbacks would be able to abuse that wouldn't you?

I thought that the call in San Diego was bullshit, because Harris "legally" destroyed the receiver, and got flagged for being dominant.

Rastak
10-02-2007, 07:11 AM
One question I have is from the San Diego game. Remember the play when Harris bumped at the line and completely destroyed his receiver? Rivers threw it in their direction and there was a penalty called on Harris. If it's the case that it isn't a penalty within five yards until the ball is thrown, why don't quarterbacks throw it over the head of the receivers getting bumped at the beginning of each play? If the bump becomes a penalty the second the ball is released you think quarterbacks would be able to abuse that wouldn't you?

I thought that the call in San Diego was bullshit, because Harris "legally" destroyed the receiver, and got flagged for being dominant.

Hard to time the throw and as you see, the refs blow it all the time.

mraynrand
10-02-2007, 08:52 AM

Hard to time the throw and as you see, the refs blow it all the time.

Excellent observation, OS PA. I'm going to look up the rules, but this is the problem with the pass interference rule and the 5 yard bump and run. I suspect this is a judgment call by the refs, otherwise, when the ball is in the air, any contact is illegal - Refs should call pass interference on either the receiver (unlikely)or the d-back (very likely). THe first time Harris got called for interference in the dome, the receiver had his hands and arms up and around Harris' shoulder, which could easily have been called holding or offensive pass interference. It was called defensive pass interference because the ball was thrown to this revceiver. I think it's a mess.

run pMc
10-02-2007, 08:54 AM
It was a penalty, but there are 22 guys on the field -- there's probably a penalty happening on every play. It's just a matter of whether the officials see the penalty, and whether they decide to swallow the whistle or not. Woodson was mugging him within 5 yards, but the ball was in the air.

The press coverage the CB's play is willing to give up a few illegal contacts in order to throw off the WR's, disrupt the timing of offenses, and buy some time for the DL to rush the QB.

To say that call cost them the game is a bit of a stretch. There's no guarantee that Wade would have caught the ball, or that GB wouldn't have stopped them from scoring.

mraynrand
10-02-2007, 08:55 AM
From NFL rules (Note that for pass interference, no mention is made of the 5 yard 'bump and run zone' If you take it verbatim, the d back must stop bumping once the ball is released by the QB)

Pass Interference

1. There shall be no interference with a forward pass thrown from behind the line. The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer’s hand. Both restrictions end when the ball is touched by anyone.

2. The penalty for defensive pass interference is an automatic first down at the spot of the foul. If interference is in the end zone, it is first down for the offense on the defense’s 1-yard line. If previous spot was inside the defense’s 1-yard line, penalty is half the distance to the goal line.

3. The penalty for offensive pass interference is 10 yards from the previous spot.

4. It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched. Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a defender’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.

(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.

(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched.

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

(c) Driving through a defender who has established a position on the field.

Actions that do not constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Incidental contact by a receiver’s hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball or neither player is looking for the ball.

(b) Inadvertent touching of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.

(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the ball is clearly uncatchable by involved players.

Note 1: If there is any question whether player contact is incidental, the ruling should be no interference.

Note 2: Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

Note 3: Pass interference for both teams ends when the pass is touched.

Note 4: There can be no pass interference at or behind the line of scrimmage, but defensive actions such as tackling a receiver can still result in a 5-yard penalty for defensive holding, if accepted.

Note 5: Whenever a team presents an apparent punting formation, defensive pass interference is not to be called for action on the end man on the line of scrimmage, or an eligible receiver behind the line of scrimmage who is aligned or in motion more than one yard outside the end man on the line. Defensive holding, such as tackling a receiver, still can be called and result in a 5-yard penalty and automatic first down from the previous spot, if accepted. Offensive pass interference rules still apply.

mraynrand
10-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Prior to Woodson's INT for a TD, this rule was clearly violated by the receiver:

It was a gift by the refs to give the call to Minnesota.

Carolina_Packer
10-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Prior to Woodson's INT for a TD, this rule was clearly violated by the receiver:

How about Kampman getting held on his pass rushing attempts with no calls made? One could argue that he was denied the ability to be even more disruptive and possibly cause a game changing fumble. These arguments could go on forever. The reason the Vikes lost is that they were beaten by the better team. They are struggling to come up with a consistent offense and they don't have good play from their QB and their receivers are fair.

I know Childress wants to run the WC offense, but at some point you have to play to your personnel, and in this case, I think if he would feature AP and not have his QB win or lose the game for him, he would be better off. That defense is good and will hold other teams down. If the Vikes can come up with a run first to setup the pass mentality and keep ball control to give their defense plenty of rest and keep the other team's offense off the field, I think they'd have a better shot. MM is going pass heavy because our run game isn't where it should be. Childress should be going run heavy with those two backs and pass second with his QB and WR's.

Partial
10-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Calls are always missed. I wouldn't worry about this at all.

mraynrand
10-02-2007, 02:43 PM

How about Kampman getting held on his pass rushing attempts with no calls made? One could argue that he was denied the ability to be even more disruptive and possibly cause a game changing fumble.

That's a good point. on one play he was held and had illegal hands to the face twice. Yep, the refs have to let 'em play at least a little bit. But the strategy of the Packers playing aggressive bump and run forces the officials to either make calls all day long, or tolerate a higher level of contact. I think NE has relied on the refs allowing more contact if they push and shove aggressively from the get go.

Merlin
10-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Let me be as polite to the Vikings as I can here....WTF ARE YOU NUTS? McKinne draged down anyone that got near him the entire game and got one call on it. Once again the officials handed out the infamous 4 yard pass interference on Green Bay, not once, twice. That doesn't quite beat the old record this season of 3 yards but close enough. The Vikings WR's RAN their route right into our DB's and the officials made the improper call EVERY TIME. If a WR runs INTO a DB, the DB has the right to stand there. The WR does not have the right to run into him or else it is illegal contact on the offense. So if I were the Vikings et al, I would stfu about one missed call because clearly there were several calls that went their way that were horse spit.

Rastak
10-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Let me be as polite to the Vikings as I can here....WTF ARE YOU NUTS? McKinne draged down anyone that got near him the entire game and got one call on it. Once again the officials handed out the infamous 4 yard pass interference on Green Bay, not once, twice. That doesn't quite beat the old record this season of 3 yards but close enough. The Vikings WR's RAN their route right into our DB's and the officials made the improper call EVERY TIME. If a WR runs INTO a DB, the DB has the right to stand there. The WR does not have the right to run into him or else it is illegal contact on the offense. So if I were the Vikings et al, I would stfu about one missed call because clearly there were several calls that went their way that were horse spit.

Merlin, I have it dvr'd but haven't watched it yet. Every friggen game I see DE's being dragged down or their jersey's being strectched to the limit. I'd be fairly shocked if I watched the video and saw Green Bay not grabbing jersey's as they go by. I wish I had an answer on holding, but I agree right now it's bullshit. I got the real nice field glasses on the QB and I see some DE being fucking tackled and NO CALL. Many times, in fact, time after time after time. On TV, at the game. Some buy breaks though and it looks like a tent as the guy's jersey is being stretched. No call.

Guiness
10-02-2007, 11:41 PM
From NFL rules (Note that for pass interference, no mention is made of the 5 yard 'bump and run zone' If you take it verbatim, the d back must stop bumping once the ball is released by the QB)

Thanks for the post mr. I didn't realize the 5 yd rule was an 'unwritten' thing. According to the rules, the DB should be able to make contact all the way down the field.

According to the rules, the contact must stop after the receiver crosses the line of scrimmage, so if you can knock the WR back behind the line and keep him there, you don't even have to stop after the ball is released :D

4. It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched. Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched.

Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:

Note 4: There can be no pass interference at or behind the line of scrimmage, but defensive actions such as tackling a receiver can still result in a 5-yard penalty for defensive holding, if accepted.